PDA

View Full Version : Aker on Before The Game

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Will ask for another year contract this Tuesday in a meeting with Fantasia and Eade.

Expects Lake to finalise the contract by Friday.

From the way he was joking about doing pre-season boxing with Barry, he expects Barry Hall to join the dogs if the financial and trade boxes are ticked and would relish to opportunity to play with him. Rates him very highly.

A few guys 'may' have played there last games last night.

Lake is the best defender he has ever played with, better than Michael and Leppistch.

Thought this year and next would be the main opportunity for the club.

Admitted the free was deliberate and no issues. Said he should have gone in-board and blames himself for that.

Mentioned he was hit similar to Riewoldt several times last night and got no protection. And that Riewoldt took a dive to get the free.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Dale Morris got told if they bump Riewoldt and he falls over then a free will be paid.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Dale Morris got told if they bump Riewoldt and he falls over then a free will be paid.
That comment set to footage shows he lands on his feet and has balance, then falls as a second motion. Umpires should not be saying those things out loud so players know to act as the umpires will be looking for a reason to pay them. Conspiracy theory almost complete.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2009, 07:48 PM

It's hard not to start believing these idiots wanted St. Kilda to win.

How can an umpire possibly say that, knowing full well Riewoldt can hear that, and then pay the pathetic decision against Lake?

Eagleton's was a goal, Ward/Hargrave HTB bullshit, Riewoldt's off the ground touched, Hudson non-paid.

The list goes on.

Haven't been this angry in a very long time.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 08:21 PM

That makes me SO angry.

lemmon
19-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Damn I hate Riewoldt, great player but I have no respect for the arrogant punce

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Damn I hate Riewoldt, great player but I have no respect for the arrogant punce

Good call...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2009, 09:27 PM

As shocking as the decision was, the fact the umpire said this and yet Lake still decided to take a step off his man and bump Riewoldt boggles my mind.

Fair enough if the ball was in the vicinity where he could mask it as a block, but with the ball in the middle, I have to say Lake was only ever going to draw a dive from Riewoldt and the umpire was only ever going to follow through on his promise.

Stupid free, poor umpiring to say what he said, but ultimately an even worse decision by Lake, especially in such a tight high pressure game.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 09:53 PM
As shocking as the decision was, the fact the umpire said this and yet Lake still decided to take a step off his man and bump Riewoldt boggles my mind.

Fair enough if the ball was in the vicinity where he could mask it as a block, but with the ball in the middle, I have to say Lake was only ever going to draw a dive from Riewoldt and the umpire was only ever going to follow through on his promise.

Stupid free, poor umpiring to say what he said, but ultimately an even worse decision by Lake, especially in such a tight high pressure game.

Exaclty right....I think Dale said this was said in the 2nd qtr(he only told Aker after the game tho)..But yeah silly by Brian thats for sure...

Topdog
19-09-2009, 10:39 PM

How is it silly to do something that you have done your entire life and is not actually against the rules? The exact same thing happened at least 5-6 times last night and has already happened 3-4 times tonight. It has never been a free kick and I would be willing to put down a few grand to say that there will never be a free kick paid again for it in the AFL.

bornadog
20-09-2009, 12:30 AM
How is it silly to do something that you have done your entire life and is not actually against the rules? The exact same thing happened at least 5-6 times last night and has already happened 3-4 times tonight. It has never been a free kick and I would be willing to put down a few grand to say that there will never be a free kick paid again for it in the AFL.

Also I would like to know, under what rule number is this a free kick? It happens at every stoppage in the game. Its a bloody joke and cost us the game and a place in the GF.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Yes. I agree it should not have been a free kick. However given the umpire has apparently said that if Riewoldt is bumped and goes to ground he will pay a free, then Lake is silly for still doing it anyway. Especially as their was no reason to do it, and especially as only 2 weeks earlier Rocca was penalised for a similar bump away from play and in which his opponent Dawson did not even go to ground.

Again I am not arguing that the free was uncalled for and that the umpire was out of line saying in front of Riewoldt that if he's bumped again and goes to ground then he will get a free.

I'm just saying with all of that in mind Lake could've and should've been more careful. There would be plenty of better opportunities within play to have 'tested' Riewoldt's fitness rather than prior to a centre bounce with the ball 80 metres away.

bornadog
20-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Also I would like to know, under what rule number is this a free kick? It happens at every stoppage in the game. Its a bloody joke and cost us the game and a place in the GF.

Yes. I agree it should not have been a free kick. However given the umpire has apparently said that if Riewoldt is bumped and goes to ground he will pay a free, then Lake is silly for still doing it anyway. Especially as their was no reason to do it, and especially as only 2 weeks earlier Rocca was penalised for a similar bump away from play and in which his opponent Dawson did not even go to ground.

Again I am not arguing that the free was uncalled for and that the umpire was out of line saying in front of Riewoldt that if he's bumped again and goes to ground then he will get a free.

I'm just saying with all of that in mind Lake could've and should've been more careful. There would be plenty of better opportunities within play to have 'tested' Riewoldt's fitness rather than prior to a centre bounce with the ball 80 metres away.

as I said, what rule is this free paid under? Happens a 100 times a game?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-09-2009, 01:07 AM
as I said, what rule is this free paid under? Happens a 100 times a game?

That's a great question... Is it the "Cause Gieschen says so" rule???

strebla
20-09-2009, 02:21 AM
That's a great question... Is it the "Cause Gieschen says so" rule???

No i believe its that revolting wears a skirt and is a great big fairy rule what if another player was bumped would he get a free we most certainly did not as we are not a bunch of weak kneeed turds!!

vho
20-09-2009, 02:43 AM
After watching Aker on Before the Game i get the feeling that its a formality Hall will join the dogs.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I footage on the show, showing Griffen crying in the rooms after wards made me feel gutted again.

Mofra
20-09-2009, 11:10 AM
After watching Aker on Before the Game i get the feeling that its a formality Hall will join the dogs.
I think Aker knew a bit more than he was letting on. Normally you say where there's smoke there is fire, but there is an awful lot of smoke and perhaps a few sparks when Barry Hall & the Bulldogs are discussed.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see how we go with a tall forward to kick to. Could be a great thing for the Dogs next season. :)

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes. I agree it should not have been a free kick. However given the umpire has apparently said that if Riewoldt is bumped and goes to ground he will pay a free, then Lake is silly for still doing it anyway.

Since when are umps allowed to make rules up on the run? I thought we had a Rules Committee for that.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:13 AM
No i believe its that revolting wears a skirt and is a great big fairy rule what if another player was bumped would he get a free we most certainly did not as we are not a bunch of weak kneeed turds!!

No player in the history of the competition would fall down with a tiny little 'howdy do' from Brian. Except the softest yip-kicking 'big man' to ever play the game. Roo is uber-talented, but boy, he's a soft shit of a sook. Always has been.

That's what kills me about this Saints team. They still have some of the softest guys going around (Gilbert, Milne, Roo, Kosi), but they're amply protected by Lyon's brilliant game plan.

Sedat
21-09-2009, 12:20 PM
No player in the history of the competition would fall down with a tiny little 'howdy do' from Brian. Except the softest yip-kicking 'big man' to ever play the game. Roo is uber-talented, but boy, he's a soft shit of a sook. Always has been.

That's what kills me about this Saints team. They still have some of the softest guys going around (Gilbert, Milne, Roo, Kosi), but they're amply protected by Lyon's brilliant game plan.
Can you blame Roo for falling over as if shot, if it gives his team the chance to win a soft free kick and goal scoring opportunity in a tight final? The problem with this rule interpretation is that there is absolutely no disincentive to try and pull one over the umpire. You chop the arms, you are gone. You hold onto the jumper, you are gone. You dramatically accentuate contact to seduce the umpire into giving you a free kick, you are not penalised at all for staging. So the rewards are infinite, and there is zero risk in doing it. Well done to the AFL for single-handedly developing and fostering a culture of staging and diving. Now every single club (ours included) has a couple of players that exaggerate body contact in order to win soft free kicks.

What a surprise that the AFL deemed the free kick as correct, and KB this morning justify the decision on his AFL sanctioned propaganda medium :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Can you blame Roo for falling over as if shot, if it gives his team the chance to win a soft free kick and goal scoring opportunity in a tight final? The problem with this rule interpretation is that there is absolutely no disincentive to try and pull one over the umpire. You chop the arms, you are gone. You hold onto the jumper, you are gone. You dramatically accentuate contact to seduce the umpire into giving you a free kick, you are not penalised at all for staging. So the rewards are infinite, and there is zero risk in doing it. Well done to the AFL for single-handedly developing and fostering a culture of staging and diving. Now every single club (ours included) has a couple of players that exaggerate body contact in order to win soft free kicks.

What a surprise that the AFL deemed the free kick as correct, and KB this morning justify the decision on his AFL sanctioned propaganda medium :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
KB is a spineless sicophantic lapdog.

My work is done here.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Can you blame Roo for falling over as if shot, if it gives his team the chance to win a soft free kick and goal scoring opportunity in a tight final?

Yes. It's called cheating.

We can't give it to soccer, calling them soft because players dive (something they are working very hard to fix), and on the other hand laud dickheads like Roo (and make no mistake, for all his incredible talent, he's always been a dickhead) for falling over when the wind blows.

Sedat
21-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes. It's called cheating.

We can't give it to soccer, calling them soft because players dive (something they are working very hard to fix), and on the other hand laud dickheads like Roo (and make no mistake, for all his incredible talent, he's always been a dickhead) for falling over when the wind blows.
Do you think that Italians the world over think Grossi is soft for cheating, or do you think they are all still celebrating winning the World Cup in 2006 and are eternally grateful to him for creating the opportunity for his team to progress to the quarter-finals?

At least soccer has finally recognised the problem they created in the first place. Inexplicably the AFL is going in the other direction.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Do you think that Italians the world over think Grossi is soft for cheating, or do you think they are all still celebrating winning the World Cup in 2006 and are eternally grateful to him for creating the opportunity for his team to progress to the quarter-finals?

At least soccer has finally recognised the problem they created in the first place. Inexplicably the AFL is going in the other direction.

Don't you think everyone the world over thinks that the Italians are the softest sooks in soccer (and has thought so for a long time -- I remember a cliche I learnt as a kid, that Italian soccer players are taught to dive before they learn to kick a ball), and that Grosso's only claim to fame for the rest of his existence will be being linked to being a diver in a World Cup (long after anyone remembers he won anything)? Say 'Fabio Grosso' in 20 years time in a free association test, and the answer won't be 'World Cup Winner', it'll be "dove to win dodgy penalty". Don't believe me, just look up his Wikipedia entry.

People remember these things.. I don't know why some people say that no one remembers the dickheads and only remembers that they won. No they don't -- Argentina's World Cup win in 1978 will always be rubbished because of its links to the military and their dodgy win against Peru to get into the final, Maradona's so-called 'Hand of God' retains its notoriety (and contributes to the glee over his many falls from grace), the memory of Germany's win over France in the 1982 World Cup semi-final is still marred by German goalie Harald Schumacher's sickening assault on Patrick Battison that left him hospitalised (the French recently voted him the most hated German in history, with Adolf Hitler second!), people still talk about East Germany's drug-riddled Olympic wins, people still talk about the controversial Muhammad Ali/Sonny Liston phantom punch, West Coast's drug-enhanced win still attracted comment in the press this year etc etc etc.

It's the 'asterisk' effect of doing something shitty, when people (mentally or literally) put an asterisk alongside the official record to remind everyone of the dodginess of the win. You win, but at the expense of your reputation and soul. Forevermore will St Nick, when discussions are had about 'great players' in the future, have an asterisk alongside his name that says - 'soft-as-shit, cheating sook'.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Don't you think everyone the world over thinks that the Italians are the softest sooks in soccer (and has thought so for a long time -- I remember a cliche I learnt as a kid, that Italian soccer players are taught to dive before they learn to kick a ball), and that Grosso's only claim to fame for the rest of his existence will be being linked to being a diver in a World Cup (long after anyone remembers he won anything)? Say 'Fabio Grosso' in 20 years time in a free association test, and the answer won't be 'World Cup Winner', it'll be "dove to win dodgy penalty". Don't believe me, just look up his Wikipedia entry.

People remember these things.. I don't know why some people say that no one remembers the dickheads and only remembers that they won. No they don't -- Argentina's World Cup win in 1978 will always be rubbished because of its links to the military and their dodgy win against Peru to get into the final, Maradona's so-called 'Hand of God' retains its notoriety (and contributes to the glee over his many falls from grace), the memory of Germany's win over France in the 1982 World Cup semi-final is still marred by German goalie Harald Schumacher's sickening assault on Patrick Battison that left him hospitalised (the French recently voted him the most hated German in history, with Adolf Hitler second!), people still talk about East Germany's drug-riddled Olympic wins, people still talk about the controversial Muhammad Ali/Sonny Liston phantom punch, West Coast's drug-enhanced win still attracted comment in the press this year etc etc etc.

It's the 'asterisk' effect of doing something shitty, when people (mentally or literally) put an asterisk alongside the official record to remind everyone of the dodginess of the win. You win, but at the expense of your reputation and soul. Forevermore will St Nick, when discussions are had about 'great players' in the future, have an asterisk alongside his name that says - 'soft-as-shit, cheating sook'.

I'm not entirely convinced I agree with you, but that has got to be just about the best post I've seen in ages.

jazzadogs
21-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Could Riewoldt's knee problems have contributed to his fall? I'm not sure which knee is sore or which one he landed on, but there is the potential that when knocked, he fell onto his sore leg and, because he didn't want to put undue pressure on the joint, he fell.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Could Riewoldt's knee problems have contributed to his fall? I'm not sure which knee is sore or which one he landed on, but there is the potential that when knocked, he fell onto his sore leg and, because he didn't want to put undue pressure on the joint, he fell.
I'm so glad i'm not you right now.

Sedat
21-09-2009, 06:01 PM

If you ask Italians, the answer will be World Cup Winner. Ditto the Argies who are still celebrating '78 and '86 with gusto. Same for the Bomber fans in '00, despite Michael Long and Dean Wallis cynically cleaning up the Demon youngsters. Ditto Carlton supporters if asked about their '95 flag, no matter how many brown paper bags contributed to the overall TPP. Same for West Coast fans talking about '06. And ditto St Kilda fans if they happen to win in '09.

Lantern, I totally understand your argument and where you are coming from. But none of the aggreived parties will ever get back their moment in the sun. The moment in time is lost forever, just like our 2009 moment is now consigned to history.

If you believe in the law of karma, then we are in for a lucky streak the length of George W Bush's entire political career at some point in the future. And Roo will have a legitimate claim for a free kick waved away in the dying seconds next week and they lose by a kick. But to be honest none of that really interests me - I only want to see the Bulldogs have our moment in the sun and experience that feeling. And if there happens to be a staged free kick that contributes to this moment, I would not care in the slightest.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Sorry not sure you are joking but that paragraph is just BS. A view only held by those in Australia that know little about the world game.

For your information, Grosso scored a ripper goal in the semi and converted the last penalty in the actual final. I doubt the french club that bought him after WC06 thought once about the Neill penalty.

comrade
21-09-2009, 07:27 PM

Sorry not sure you are joking but that paragraph is just BS. A view only held by those in Australia that know little about the world game.

For your information, Grosso scored a ripper goal in the semi and converted the last penalty in the actual final. I doubt the french club that bought him after WC06 thought once about the Neill penalty.

Hang on, let me grab the popcorn :D

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Hang on, let me grab the popcorn :D

It's OK. Ernie's thrown his 2-bob in, he'll probably just drop it now. :D

AndrewP6
21-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Yeah, could also be due to the weak heart muscle he possesses...

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:06 AM
It's OK. Ernie's thrown his 2-bob in, he'll probably just drop it now. :D

I'm just going to revel in SS's compliment.

Even I knew what I wrote was bullshit. :D

(But it's amazing what you can do with bull when you dress it up with some historical precedent... it's the fiction writer in me coming out. I think we call it 'pulling the wool over the eyes' in the industry ie. if we sound like we know what we're talking about, 99% of readers will believe us!)

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:11 AM

*grin* Besides, Nick's 'crime' was hardly greater than Grosso's.

Ps. I know that Grosso scored the goal in the semi. I was at the stadium in Dortmund (outside, watching the big screen, couldn't get tickets in after drive up from Cologne/Koln), and my German female friend cried her heart out after the game (and no, I didn't take advantage of her).

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry Lantern, got me there.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Sorry Lantern, got me there.

Haha -- no worries. I was also BS-ing about Grosso's Wikipedia entry -- I think it only mentions the 'controversial' penalty two-thirds of the way down (just looked it up then). He's a very good attacking full-back... solid Champions League performer with Lyon.

Ps. Roo is still soft.