PDA

View Full Version : Gia going forward

Rance Fan
19-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I personally didnt think much of Gias game against the Saints. To soft for my likeing. He also seemed to have an up and down season to me.What did you guys think?
Going forward would he be a good trade to the Gold coast Team?
I think it would suit him!
Unlikely itll happen though

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought his season was good. Doesn't get enough credit and when Eagle retires, Danny will get the scapegoat mantle. He had a serious injury as well this year. He gets a pass mark this year for me, I wouldn't trade him or put him up unless a decent offer was forth coming.

Mofra
19-09-2009, 07:48 PM
If he had nailed that last goal he would have been lauded a hero. Such are the fortunes of players.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Good season and a good player but most of the list would be available for trade at the right price. However, it is largely a pointless exercise because what the club wants and what opposition clubs are willing to offer is the separating factor.

He needs to have a big pre-season, as do the rest of the boys.

bornadog
19-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I personally didnt think much of Gias game against the Saints. To soft for my likeing. He also seemed to have an up and down season to me.What did you guys think?

He was the number one for goal assists in the AFL before his injury. He had 33 touches last week, and I thought he played a serviceable game last night. Could have won it for us with a brilliant goal in the third and the near miss in the last.

He is a classy player and a good leader around the club.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2009, 09:30 PM
He was the number one for goal assists in the AFL before his injury. He had 33 touches last week, and I thought he played a serviceable game last night. Could have won it for us with a brilliant goal in the third and the near miss in the last.

He is a classy player and a good leader around the club.

Absolutely agree. Any calls on him being soft and or expendable, are way off the mark.
Very hard to mark him on his last month, coming straight back in from a long period out.
For the 1st 12 rounds of the season he was a massive part of the reason our small forward line was able to confound the critics and score so heavily, as he and Johnno were racking up scoring assists.

Topdog
19-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Thought he was reallly good last night and that kick in the last away from being great.

For a guy that is constantly labelled soft he certainly does seem to be the guy winning the ball and causing a ball up in our F50 a heck of a lot. He has his niche move where he puts his body in front of the defender and grabs the ball about half a second before being tackled. Did it on at least 3 ocassions last night and we (he actually) got a goal from one of them.

Ozza
20-09-2009, 12:25 AM

'Too soft for my liking'.

What a pathetic comment. Get off the forum until you get a clue.

Topdog
20-09-2009, 11:32 AM
'Too soft for my liking'.

What a pathetic comment. Get off the forum until you get a clue.

Thats pretty uncalled for aswell.

Rancefan should have at least attempted to explain why he thinks he is soft but no need for that comeback.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 11:49 AM
its a tough game isnt it? He had a few opportunities, took one and missed the others. Unfortunately this can separate the winners from the also rans in big games.
Sure he is a great player but is he denying someone a spot in the twenty two who can win us a flag?
I am glad i am not the person making these decisions

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Sure he is a great player but is he denying someone a spot in the twenty two who can win us a flag?

I don't believe there is anyone better not in the 22.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Rancefan should have at least attempted to explain why he thinks he is soft but no need for that comeback.

Nope. I'm with Ozza on this one.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 01:14 PM
A few points in why i like Gia, and think he should definitely stay.

1. Leader
2. Finisher (apart from the latest one against St Kilda)
3. Reads the play well
4. Good decision maker
5. Can use both sides of his body (very rare in AFL these days)
6. Can be used in different positions on the ground
7. Knows how to find space

Until you find someone from our club who didn't play on Friday night, who can do all of this.

Then Gia definitely stays in the team.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 09:40 PM
A few points in why i like Gia, and think he should definitely stay.

1. Leader
2. Finisher (apart from the latest one against St Kilda)
3. Reads the play well
4. Good decision maker
5. Can use both sides of his body (very rare in AFL these days)
6. Can be used in different positions on the ground
7. Knows how to find space

Until you find someone from our club who didn't play on Friday night, who can do all of this.

Then Gia definitely stays in the team.
Brilliantly put there JH40.

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Brilliantly put there JH40.

Agree.

What Gia didnt have this season, especially late in the season was fitness

The guy couldnt bust his gut running because he knew he would be spent by half time

Get a preseason into him, Murphy, Williams & Cooney, all who I believe didnt get much of one in 08/09 and we will be a different team

The Pie Man
20-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Played out the North game earlier this year on a bung knee (and kicked goals) a performance that far away from 'soft'

Deserves more respect

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I woke up three times last night dreaming of Gia's miss. He mustn't be able to sleep for the next four months. I still can't believe he missed -- that's his bread and butter shot. 99 times out of 100. Guaran-absolutely-teed. Except that that once out of a 100 had to be THAT shot.

F***.

Ozza
21-09-2009, 10:06 AM

I don't think I'm unreasonable very often on this site. I appreciate what you're saying Topdog - but I completely stand by my post.

Mofra
21-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Gia is a brilliant user of the ball in traffic - perhaps the best in the side.
He is a helluva lot tougher than many give him credit for - unfortunately in AFL-land it's season one that tends to stamp a player's reputation.