PDA

View Full Version : D-Day looms for Bulldog veterans

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Jay Clark and Jackie Epstein
Herald Sun, September 20, 2009

BRAD Johnson and Ben Hudson remain the only veterans certain to play on next season when the Western Bulldogs meet to decide the futures of their over-30s stars this week.

The club faces some agonising decisions, with big question marks hovering over Scott Welsh, 30, Nathan Eagleton, 30, and Jason Akermanis, 32.

Akermanis and Eagleton were ineffectual in Friday night's preliminary final heartbreak, but Dogs chiefs insisted the emotion of the defeat would not govern their decisions.

Assistant coach Leon Cameron conceded some hard calls had to be made to improve the list. But Cameron indicated its veterans would be judged on their contributions throughout the year, rather than only their efforts on Friday night.

"We just have to let the dust settle for a few days and then move on. It's just a ruthless game, unfortunately, but we have to start looking to next year," he said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"We will have our list management meeting sometime next week. Akermanis, Eagleton and all the 30-year-olds have all been fantastic this year, so we'll discuss that later next week."

Akermanis and Eagleton had shockers compared with their usually high standards in the seven-point loss to St Kilda that club leaders tipped would drive the team all summer.

Akermanis led the Dogs' goalkicking with 43 majors, while midfielder Eagleton was superb in the semi-final win over the Brisbane Lions.

However, the pair combined for 24 possessions, didn't kick a goal and appeared to run out of puff late against the Saints.

Along with Johnson, the team's other 30-year-old, Hudson, is assured a berth next season as the Dogs' leading ruckman.

The defeat was a devastating result for a club that has lost its past six preliminary finals, with players unable to hold back tears in the rooms post-match.

Cameron said the team had generated ample supply forward, with 17 more inside 50s than the Saints, but its failure to kick the match-winning goal was especially devastating.

"You can't question the effort, the effort was outstanding," he said. "For the large part of that last quarter we had the ball in the forward line, we just couldn't capitalise."

Only four times this season has a team had an advantage of 17 or more inside 50s, but lost.

For that reason, the Dogs will pursue Sydney forward Barry Hall, 32, amid other key forward options including Adelaide's Taylor Walker and Hawthorn's Mitch Thorp.

Dogs' legend Doug Hawkins said yesterday the club couldn't win a flag without a big forward of Hall's ilk.

"Go get Hall, please? Sign him up whatever it's going to cost," Hawkins said.

"He's the X-factor and he can change the side. If we had Barry Hall standing in the goal square, we win the game, we win a Grand Final."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d-day-looms-for-bulldog-veterans/story-e6frf9jf-1225777055520

Wouldn't mind the idea of Walker to be honest, looks to be a good sort & has already had a taste of AFL footy.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Keep Johnno, Huddo and Aker, get rid of Welsh and Eagleton....

comrade
20-09-2009, 10:47 AM
If Eagleton stood up and had a solid game on Friday night, he would've just about secured a spot next year.

Predictably, he didn't, so I have no problem in moving him on.

Wood to take his spot on the wing.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 10:50 AM
If Eagleton stood up and had a solid game on Friday night, he would've just about secured a spot next year.

Predictably, he didn't, so I have no problem in moving him on.

Wood to take his spot on the wing.
Has Wood got the gut running quality of Eagle Comrade?

comrade
20-09-2009, 10:56 AM

He was a champion runner at school, for what it's worth.

Hopefully over summer he is put on a program that consists of hard running and long kicking. That combined with his aerial ability and his willingness to attack the ball and the man could make him more valuable to our structure than Eagleton ever was.

But let's not get a head of ourselves :o

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 11:03 AM
He was a champion runner at school, for what it's worth.

Hopefully over summer he is put on a program that consists of hard running and long kicking. That combined with his aerial ability and his willingness to attack the ball and the man could make him more valuable to our structure than Eagleton ever was.

But let's not get a head of ourselves :o
Assuming we keep Dre,

Dre, Wood and Hill could be a very handy team of wingmen who could be flexible to other positions.

ratsmac
20-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan of the bald one, but I hope he announces his retirement so that the club doesn't have to force his hand. I believe he could go around for another year but on that note we need to give opportunities to the younger up and comers before they look else where for opportunities. Welsh has been alright for us over 2 years but sorry mate time to hang up the boots. Dogs for premiers 2010.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Keep Johnno, Huddo and Aker, get rid of Welsh and Eagleton....

Probably would agree with this call - not that I haven't been happy with Welsh and Eagleton at times, but time to hang up the boots boys and let some of the younger guns gain more experience at senior level. I see our "window" being open for maybe 2 more years, but I'll be praying for a dogs flag in 2010!

GVGjr
20-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Not by a long shot but not many youngsters have the stamina of the older guys.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Not by a long shot but not many youngsters have the stamina of the older guys.

It isn't all about running though GVG.

There are a few other factors to consider not the least of can any of the 'older' players improve or maintain an acceptable level which will make us a better team next year?

Welsh & Eagleton haven't played at a consistent enough level this year so surely their cards have been marked.

GVGjr
21-09-2009, 06:04 PM
It isn't all about running though GVG.

There are a few other factors to consider not the least of can any of the 'older' players improve or maintain an acceptable level which will make us a better team next year?

Welsh & Eagleton haven't played at a consistent enough level this year so surely their cards have been marked.

I was answering a very specific question about Woods current fitness levels when compared to the older guys and the point I'm making is that it takes most of the youngsters a few seasons to develop that real stamina. Wood isn't there yet.
You know my thoughts on who I think should retire and be delisted etc but I still believe their fitness would be better than nearly all of the youngsters.