PDA

View Full Version : Ernie's conspiracy of the month

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on if our unconventional approach in regard to tall forwards has an effect on the way we are looked at in the football world? Listening to the ABC on Friday, it gets a mention all the time. Very few in the football world think we can go far without a KP inside 50. So much so they hate be to proved wrong. It was a factor but 1 of many that could have changed the game. We were very stiff on Friday and as Eade said poor kicking not a tall forward cost us more.
Also like it or not there was more romance to the story if the Saints won. They hardly lost this season, have the pin up boy forward and have more down trodden fans then we do.

Do you think this had something to do with the way the umpires approach the game. Expecting us to fail, we got on the wrong end of some poor decisions?

aker39
20-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Ernie, go and take your medication

firstdogonthemoon
20-09-2009, 11:50 AM
It flies in the face of all logic, it probably even defies the laws of physics and I cannot bring myself to believe that Umpires at this level allow themselves anything other than the strictest impartiality.

So I am at a loss to explain how we ended up on the end of so many poor decisions.

Also, I would appreciate the home address of the next poster who uses the term "rub of the green" so I can go around to their house and punch one of their pets in the face.

Before I Die
20-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't support a conspiracy theory, but i do believe one's expectations effects one's judgement. Eg. Umpires expect Ablett and Judd to break free of tackles so they are slow to bring the whistle to their lips. Similarly, umpires expect defenders to break the rules to curb Riewoldt so they are subconsciously, or consciously, on the lookout and hence likely to over react.

Perhaps umpires should be locked in sensory deprivation chambers during the week so they don't know any of the players or relative ladder positions (and because they are multi-coloured maggots :D)

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 12:43 PM
:) Its not a deep down belief of mine, its just one from left field.

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Not sure of the conspiracy theory. Just think the umpires are incompetent buffoons who deserve all the derision they get.

azabob
20-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Buckley said on gameday on channel seven today that not having a key forward isn't the reason why we lost on Friday night.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2009, 01:08 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/86570b1035834bdabded7e7dffff40860.jpg

Twodogs
20-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Also, I would appreciate the home address of the next poster who uses the term "rub of the green" so I can go around to their house and punch one of their pets in the face.

Rub of the green did you say?

The chook is waiting...

comrade
20-09-2009, 02:13 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/86570b1035834bdabded7e7dffff40860.jpg

Very nice.

I also heard that Shane McInerney is actually the Loch Ness Monster - unconfirmed, but from a good source.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Rub of the green did you say?

The chook is waiting...

How is Huddo?

mjp
20-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Umpires aside, I am becoming more and more (and more and more) tired of the commentators continually talking about the size of our forwards. They dont talk about what they see - they keep going back to the 'storyline' for the game that they discussed at the production planning meeting.

Yes, Riewoldt kicked the last goal for St Kilda, and I accept he is a tall forward. They should therefore be forced to accept that he soccered the ball out of a pack to win the game - accomplished through force of will rather than size - and a 170cm midget could have executed that perfectly well.

Collingwood had Cloke and Anthony up forward, Prestigiacomo and Maxwell down back and Geelong smashed them...

hujsh
20-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't support a conspiracy theory, but i do believe one's expectations effects one's judgement. Eg. Umpires expect Ablett and Judd to break free of tackles so they are slow to bring the whistle to their lips. Similarly, umpires expect defenders to break the rules to curb Riewoldt so they are subconsciously, or consciously, on the lookout and hence likely to over react.

In psychology expectancy is a part of our perceptual set which influences our interpretations of things like AFL matches.

Twodogs
20-09-2009, 06:46 PM
How is Huddo?

Firstly she is a she thankfully. Secondly she is bloody big and she has fallen in love with the cat and follows her all over the back yard. If the cat wants a bit of peace she has ti hide in the chicken coop.

Before I Die
20-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Umpires aside, I am becoming more and more (and more and more) tired of the commentators continually talking about the size of our forwards. They dont talk about what they see - they keep going back to the 'storyline' for the game that they discussed at the production planning meeting.

Yes, Riewoldt kicked the last goal for St Kilda, and I accept he is a tall forward. They should therefore be forced to accept that he soccered the ball out of a pack to win the game - accomplished through force of will rather than size - and a 170cm midget could have executed that perfectly well.

Collingwood had Cloke and Anthony up forward, Prestigiacomo and Maxwell down back and Geelong smashed them...

At the game I was listening to Triple M (the radio in the phone only picks up FM stations) and I had to turn it off because rather than hear a description of the play, all I heard was how we couldn't win without a tall forward. Taylor, Lyon and Dunstall had far too much invested in this theory to give any objective commentary.

mjp
21-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Just as well the phone only picks up FM - I would guess that ABC would have trotted out Alves and Jones for the night...no bias there.

As I didn't come over for the game I was stuck with the Cometti/Buckley/Matthews collective and I cannot deal with them any more. Why can't I set crowd noise to 'on' and commentary to 'off'. Oh yeah - and why wont they show the actual score (all they show is the total) occasionally. And why did they stop doing that thing where they report on who is on interchange/game time of players...

I hate the quality of the media coverage at the moment.

bornadog
22-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Just as well the phone only picks up FM - I would guess that ABC would have trotted out Alves and Jones for the night...no bias there.

As I didn't come over for the game I was stuck with the Cometti/Buckley/Matthews collective and I cannot deal with them any more. Why can't I set crowd noise to 'on' and commentary to 'off'. Oh yeah - and why wont they show the actual score (all they show is the total) occasionally. And why did they stop doing that thing where they report on who is on interchange/game time of players...

I hate the quality of the media coverage at the moment.

NO ABC had worse than that, Parkin and his bum buddy, who both hate the Dogs.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't think it mattered what media outlet you watched or listened to, as mentioned in another thread the Cats vs Saints is what 'everyone' wanted.

bornadog
22-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't think it mattered what media outlet you watched or listened to, as mentioned in another thread the Cats vs Saints is what 'everyone' wanted.

Just like last year when we were one of three undefeated teams, yet all the talk was Hawthorn/Geelong.