PDA

View Full Version : Trade Week: What do we NEED

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 12:26 PM
This is not a fantasy trade thread, rather a thread about what types of players we need to be looking at over trade week.

I think we need to find some or all of the below:

a) A KPF - likely Hall
b) Another forward, possibly smaller like an Ebert or similar to replace Aker and Johno over time
c) A ready made ruckman, with Skipper likely to go
d) An outside runner

Realistically we may only execute two trades coming in, which are the two most important types for a premiership assault in 2010.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2009, 12:50 PM
It really depends what's on offer.

The need for a KPF (Hall) is a given. That'll improve our structure a fair bit, but we've still got a few other holes as you've mentioned.

I'd weigh up the possibilities of the forward v outside runner. We lack for pace and would really benefit from signing a player of Lovett's ilk, but quality players rarely leave clubs. If they do (Lovett/Burgoyne) then their asking price is far and beyond what they're actually worth. In terms of need though, with Eagleton declining/retiring, we're very short on for players with genuine foot speed and finishing skills on the outside. Reid & Wood will play more games next season but they're more suited to an inside role. We'd be able to get by if nothing comes our way but it'd be nice to boost this area.

The forward half needs an adjustment and adding Hall would/will help, but we definitely need to unearth one or two more forwards. Walker is an interesting option but it's difficult to see Adelaide trading him.

The draft has to be taken into account too. Perhaps we can solve one of these issues through our first or second pick? It all depends on what's available and for what price. I don't think either of the two needs are greater than the other.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I think the need for another CHB is definitely a priority.

I think Williams has a lot of talent, and will be a decent CHB for us. But we all still don't know how his body will hold up, and as of yet, it has continually let us down at important stages of the season. We need someone who will be able to be there if he gets injured, or someone who will put pressure on him for that spot. At the moment we don't have a back up option, and it leaves a decent hole in our structure when he is gone.

That and what the others have said above, are a must in my eyes.

DOG GOD
20-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Christ of only we could draft or trade for a Pears and Hurley for 2010...now that would be SWEEEEET!!

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I think we'll be right for CHB spots next year as I can see Bouman playing a few games next year possibly.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:34 PM
A Similar player to Shaun Higgins start as a forward and develop into a gun midfielder

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 09:43 PM
This is not a fantasy trade thread, rather a thread about what types of players we need to be looking at over trade week.

I think we need to find some or all of the below:

a) A KPF - likely Hall
b) Another forward, possibly smaller like an Ebert or similar to replace Aker and Johno over time
c) A ready made ruckman, with Skipper likely to go
d) An outside runner

Realistically we may only execute two trades coming in, which are the two most important types for a premiership assault in 2010.

a) Agree. Lets get Hall for a 3rd or 4th round pick
b) Hmmmmm. Could O'Keefe develop into this small forward / goalsneak in the future? Higgins closer to goal.....
c) Agree. Would Roughead be up to it in 2010 if Minson or Hudson were injured? Throwing a 19 year old ruckman against guys like Cox/Sandilands etc would be tough...Dont see much point retaining Skip either. Would probably suggest getting a 21/22 year old ruckman who hasent played any/many senior games....wouild be a development ruckman that we could get SUPER CHEAP!
d) Agree. Especially important if Eagle retires.

dog town
21-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I think a fair bit depends on how much faith they have in the ability of Tom Williams to get fit for 22 games. If they dont see him ever being able to hold down CHB for a full season then we really need to look at bringing in some tall defensive cover. I think we have a good backline but that is 2 years in a row that we have lost finals to teams with big, mobile, athletic key forwards. It would seem we are coping with the monster forwards and most small forwards but big guys who can run seem to give us the most grief. It would be nice to have other options.

We could do with another ball carrier IMO. We really have become a bit of a stoppage team with a few exceptional ball carriers the only thing stopping us from becoming pretty one dimensional. If Eagleton is forced into retirement I think this is a must.

A big forward is the obvious one but really any young forwards with talent regardless of size also have to be on the wish list. We are getting pretty long in the tooth up forward.

Mofra
21-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I think the need for another CHB is definitely a priority.

Totally - especially considering Williams struggles for durability & Everitt (even if he stays) is no CHB.

Rocco Jones
21-09-2009, 10:57 AM
A big forward is the obvious one but really any young forwards with talent regardless of size also have to be on the wish list. We are getting pretty long in the tooth up forward.

The development of Stack, Hill and Lynch will be massive in that aspect.

dog town
21-09-2009, 11:04 AM
The development of Stack, Hill and Lynch will be massive in that aspect. Agreed. It is a big call they have to make on this issue. If we keep all 3 which I think we will then it is hard to justify getting in other mid size or small forwards. You are sort of pulling against yourself if you have a bit each way. I suppose Grant fits into that category as well. I think our premiership window can stay open for quite a few years because I think we have drafted pretty well over the last few years but if we stuff up this area we might not have the fire power.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 11:04 AM
The development of Stack, Hill and Lynch will be massive in that aspect.

As will be the role that Higgins is earmarked for.

I hope that he is seen primarliy as a HF with the occassional run on the ball rather than the other way around. I hope that he develops into a 'Paul Chapman' type over the coming years.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Totally - especially considering Williams struggles for durability & Everitt (even if he stays) is no CHB.

There's this bloke Boumann on the list...

Mofra
21-09-2009, 12:10 PM
There's this bloke Boumann on the list...
...who looks damn good but may be a bit light next year.
I'm a fan, like his body positioning & his speed however half a season in the Willy 1s would make me think he is still in the developing stage.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Whats the deal with Everitt?? Are the club putting him up for trade? or is it just other clubs seeing him miss out on a finals spot thinking they can poach him? Is there another reason (public kick in the ass)?

bornadog
21-09-2009, 04:17 PM
CHB, CHF, thats it.

chef
21-09-2009, 04:23 PM
A key forward or two and a small forward.