PDA

View Full Version : Footy Classified GF edition

AndrewP6
21-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Plenty of PF talk, of course with a lot of it a love-fest for The Aints and The Pussies... The topic of Custard's gifted goal came up, and Hutchy was arguing that said free kick was warranted because the clubs had been warned about this. Garry and Thommo brought up the fact that Lake did the same thing 3 times earlier in the game and nothing happened, and it happens hundreds of times and nothing is called. Hutchy tried to repeat "It was a dumb thing to do" and the other two were insistent that it was a bad call, or "pathetic" according to Thommo.

When asked for his Brownlow pick, Thommo began by saying "Apart from the fact I don't care"...:) Gold. Laughed so much I didn't even hear who he picked!

And on the subject of Andrejs Everitt, the great Hutchy said "Don't think there's any doubt he's on the move"!!! Are we to take him at his word? Or is he filled to capacity with excrement?... Said CAAAAAAARLTON is most likely...

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Hutchy is a complete wanker. He basically just said that Everitt is on the move and is pretty much going no matter what... Hope it's not true.

comrade
21-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Hutchy is a complete wanker. He basically just said that Everitt is on the move and is pretty much going no matter what... Hope it's not true.

He also suggested it would be for a top 10 pick, or very close to it. I'd take that, if correct.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:28 AM
He also suggested it would be for a top 10 pick, or very close to it. I'd take that, if correct.

I wouldn't because then more development is required and I like Everitt. I want him to play 22 senior games next year including finals!

comrade
21-09-2009, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't because then more development is required and I like Everitt. I want him to play 22 senior games next year including finals!

If we get offered a top 10 pick, I can just about guarantee that Everitt will not be at the Kennel next year.

lemmon
21-09-2009, 12:32 AM
What club in their right mind would offer a top 10 pick for a half back flanker who has shown very little in the last two years.

comrade
21-09-2009, 12:36 AM
What club in their right mind would offer a top 10 pick for a half back flanker who has shown very little in the last two years.

If you believe the whispers, there are 6 clubs after to him - that could lead to some nflated offers.

It does beg the question - if he is so highly rated, should we be giving him up? I'd hate to see him ripping it up at another club after we've developed him.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:38 AM
He was our first draft pick the year that we took him, so only a top 10 draft pick would suffice. I am not convinced he is going anyway - why would he go when he has No 3 on his back, if that doesn't tell him that he is a wanted player nothing would.

lemmon
21-09-2009, 12:41 AM
If you believe the whispers, there are 6 clubs after to him - that could lead to some nflated offers.

It does beg the question - if he is so highly rated, should we be giving him up? I'd hate to see him ripping it up at another club after we've developed him.

If it was a pick in the top 12 I would jump at it but I wouldnt touch anything after that just because of Everitts obvious talent and the supposed weakness of the draft.

Happy Days
21-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Two picks in the first round....

Anyone else thinking swap them both for Pav?

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Everitt isn't going anywhere, and i wouldn't be trusting the words from Hutchy or Caro.

Let's face it, both basically said Lake was leaving also...

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Two picks in the first round....

Anyone else thinking swap them both for Pav?

Pav wont move anywhere and we have salary cap issues as it is, no chance.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Supporters over-estimate the value of draft picks because we deal in dreams.

We think our 1st rounder at the next draft is always going to be the next superstar, in reality it's just as likely to be the next Sam Power or Tim Walsh.

I can understand a club trading for Everitt. He's got all the tools and he showed in his first year he can play.

But if he can't play nice with Rodney then it's probably best he tries somewhere else.

comrade
21-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Supporters over-estimate the value of draft picks because we deal in dreams.

We think our 1st rounder at the next draft is always going to be the next superstar, in reality it's just as likely to be the next Sam Power or Tim Walsh.

I can understand a club trading for Everitt. He's got all the tools and he showed in his first year he can play.

But if he can't play nice with Rodney then it's probably best he tries somewhere else.

So are you suggesting that if we're offered a first round pick, we should still stick with Dre (putting aside the whispers about him cracking the sads)?

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2009, 01:00 AM
So are you suggesting that if we're offered a first round pick, we should still stick with Dre (putting aside the whispers about him cracking the sads)?

It's a near thing, that's what makes it a fair trade.

Like everyone else, I'm concerned about his intensity. His natural position, IMO, is deep defense but he doesn't have Dale Morris' desperation to compete. I don't think this can be taught.

If he went to Geelong and played Darren Milburn's or Tom Harley's role I could see him becoming a very good player. Then in the last half of his career when he's bulked up maybe he could be a genuine key back.

For Carlton's pick 11? Yeah, I'd pull the trigger. For Geelong's pick 17? I'm not so sure.

What it comes down to; is there a kid you really want and who do you think is after him and will this trade make a disfference.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I would not be risking a footballer who:

Stands at 193cm can kick, mark, run and carry the ball over so called 'whispers'.

Until i hear from Everitt, the club or his agent that he wants to leave, then he stays in my eyes.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree, people think draft picks are the be all end all. Well at the end of the day Everitt is a guy we drafted, a guy we have developed and then we just lose him and have to start over with probably someone who can turn out to be a dud? There's a reason why clubs would be after him. I just hope our club does everything to keep him. Because he's out of contract if we don't want to deal with anyone can Everitt do anything?

boydogs
21-09-2009, 01:34 AM

He is highly rated by other clubs who see his performances, his body size etc. but not his attitude towards training and his shortcomings. They think he is still developing, we have some defensive depth and forwards that can play back and think that is why he is not getting a game, particularly when he played a good one when given a go in round 22. That game could do us a big favour in the return we get for him in a trade.

Without knowing the full story here, I would say don't be too worried about us under-rating him because other clubs are interested, they should be the ones wary of why we are offering the trade.

I would like to know more from SS on his 'trading is the work of the devil' approach, but would assume the mutton as lamb disguise applied by the club offloading the player is part of it

Dry Rot
21-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Like everyone else, I'm concerned about his intensity.

If so trade him. If we really want a flag, then this has to be the new criteria.

Picken, Harbow and Ward have shown what is required.

lemmon
21-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Im against trading players of his talent, no matter the price. He could be something special and in my opinion you dont offload that sort of player.

FrediKanoute
21-09-2009, 03:04 AM

Spot on.......if there are 6 clubs interested and some want to offer a 1st round pick you have to wonder if we have done something wrong in his development.

chef
21-09-2009, 09:34 AM
If so trade him. If we really want a flag, then this has to be the new criteria.

Picken, Harbow and Ward have shown what is required.

I agree, Hill's lack of intensity is also a worry.

Does anyone else think that we are trying to put two first round draft picks together to make a play someone specific?

Hot_Doggies
21-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree, Hill's lack of intensity is also a worry.

Does anyone else think that we are trying to put two first round draft picks together to make a play someone specific?

We should be able to get Hall with a 3rd or 4th round pick, might need to throw in GOK or Addison also.

Keep the picks.

chef
21-09-2009, 09:48 AM
We should be able to get Hall with a 3rd or 4th round pick, might need to throw in GOK or Addison also.

Keep the picks.

Depends what we can get. Two key forwards would be better then one.

Hot_Doggies
21-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Depends what we can get. Two key forwards would be better then one.

Who are you going to get with pick 15? Tom Lonergan, a 31yr old Daniel Bradshaw, Brent Staker??

Get Hall. And play a kid alongside - Grant , Cordy, Boumann or Roughhead.

chef
21-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Who are you going to get with pick 15? Tom Lonergan, a 31yr old Daniel Bradshaw, Brent Staker??

Sorry, i was thinking more like two first round picks together as bait.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I think we are pre-occupied with Everitt's 'potential'. Sometimes holding onto a player for too long hurts their trade value (see Farren Ray). If we traded Farren a year or two earlier we would have got a much better selection, that said, we got Liam Jones who looks a likely sort and I think that deal will be win/win.

If Eade and the coaches question his intensity, then they need to see what the market is prepared to pay. I don't think the club is forcing him out the door, rather seeing what the best offer might be. If the offer is for argument sake the Saints pick 16 or 17, then compared against his weaknesses the club might take the offer. If he tears it up at other clubs so be it, but if we get two good kids or trade for a big name which works out for us, then great.

I think we all see deficencies is our list and the need to trade for some of them. So if we are going fishing we need some good bait. Everitt with a decent game a month ago (the only one for the year) is good bait. It's not pleasant, but entirely necessary.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 10:54 AM
In the game he filled in he gave me the impression he may be better suited to the forward line than the backline. Certainly, I would favour him playing no fruther back than on a wing.

The problem is that body on body he is weak and I'm not sure that bulk will fix this. It is more about timing than weight.

His brother was happy to walk away from clubs at the drop of a hat and Dre might be the same.

On balance, as long as he has no issues with staying, his potential is such that I would prefer to keep him.

Templeton31
21-09-2009, 01:13 PM
The good thing is that given he signed a contract about a month ago we are in the box seat. Unlike Farren or Judas he cant walk out on us. Personally I would hate to see the bloke who was given No 3 up and leave.

Templeton31
21-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Spot on.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Hutchy is a Clown wouldn't believe anything he says

strebla
21-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Bottom line for me is attitude if it is as bad as it seems time to go I would take the saints first pick coupled with Matt Magire .

BulldogBelle
21-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Been thinking long and hard about this. I really like Everitt, I really don't want to see him go.

BUT

His opportunity next year will still be massively limited because:

OUT: Welsh, Eagleton, Callan

IN: Hill, Williams, Tall Forward with games into Callan, Grant, Reid, Wood, Tiller etc etc

Too much talent, not enough spots.

We cant even come close to guaranteeing him games.

edit: I suppose Hill is still a fringe player.

Before I Die
21-09-2009, 01:46 PM
The good thing is that given he signed a contract about a month ago we are in the box seat. Unlike Farren or Judas he cant walk out on us. Personally I would hate to see the bloke who was given No 3 up and leave.

I agree, but it is not a case without precedence. Alan Stoneham, Adrian Campbell, these guys predate Chris Grant, but the number is not famous because of Chris Grant.

OLD SCRAGGer
21-09-2009, 01:56 PM
. I just hope our club does everything to keep him. Because he's out of contract if we don't want to deal with anyone can Everitt do anything?[/QUOTE]

What am I missing here? Didn't Everitt sign a NEW 2 year contract extension just a couple months ago? So, IF we don't get offered anything decent "HE AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE".. Right?:confused:

Bulldog4life
21-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I agree, but it is not a case without precedence. Alan Stoneham, Adrian Campbell, these guys predate Chris Grant, but the number is not famous because of Chris Grant.

It's because of Mark Kellett isn't it?:D

mighty_west
21-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Thats all very good & well chef, but, cap space?

We most likely have to retire off Welsh & maybe Eagle to make sure Lake & Big Bad fit in.

mighty_west
21-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Hutchy is a Clown wouldn't believe anything he says

Mark Stevens also wrote today that Everitt looks almost certain to find a new club.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Mark Stevens also wrote today that Everitt looks almost certain to find a new club.
The word is out. I'm not sure what the resistance is all about?

soupman
21-09-2009, 02:45 PM

This is much more credible than Hutchy. Stevens is pretty close to the club and that tells me that the story is legit.

lemmon
21-09-2009, 02:49 PM
If Everitt was so 'unhappy' why sign a new contract in the first place? Im still not convinced.

mighty_west
21-09-2009, 02:50 PM
The word is out. I'm not sure what the resistance is all about?

The word is out, however, Mark Stevens being close to the club and massive Doggies supporter, wouldn't be one to make up crap about the Dogs, and i'm tipping he knows alot of what actually is going on behind closed doors.

There are most likely alot of factors to why [if he is] Everitt being shopped around, whether it's just his lack of real intensity, maybe not being 100% professional off the field, he may have also cracked the almighty sads for not getting more game time, i guess we'll just have to wait & see.

For mine, and just on footballing abilities, he's a tall utility, not a real key position player with plenty of upsize, but doesn't share the same hard nosed traits as a Ward or Morris etc, and sometimes you just have to roll the dice to get in what the team needs to take that next step, and if the club thinks it can get a good price...........

lemmon
21-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Who would you have in mind, perhaps a Roughead? I doubt Pavlich would be going anywhere and for two first rounders we are looking for a blue chip player.

chef
21-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Thats all very good & well chef, but, cap space?We most likely have to retire off Welsh & maybe Eagle to make sure Lake & Big Bad fit in.

It's going to be a very interesting trade week.

Twodogs
21-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Been thinking long and hard about this. I really like Everitt, I really don't want to see him go.

BUT

His opportunity next year will still be massively limited because:

OUT: Welsh, Eagleton, Callan

IN: Hill, Williams, Tall Forward with games into Callan, Grant, Reid, Wood, Tiller etc etc

Too much talent, not enough spots.

We cant even come close to guaranteeing him games.

edit: I suppose Hill is still a fringe player.

I havent heard anything about Tim Callan going anywhere. The coach is a huge fan.

soupman
21-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I havent heard anything about Tim Callan going anywhere. The coach is a huge fan.

I think he's talking about out of our 22, as opposed to being delisted/traded. I agree if thats the case.

Callan is a good player to have on your list because you know he'll contribute when called upon, however he isn't a player who you consider in your best 22.

chef
21-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Who would you have in mind, perhaps a Roughead? I doubt Pavlich would be going anywhere and for two first rounders we are looking for a blue chip player.

I honestly wouldn't have a clue what the club is up to or who is for sale, but if we want something decent we are going to need some decent bait and two first rounders is a start. The salary cap is going to influence what we do as well.

Twodogs
21-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I think he's talking about out of our 22, as oposed to being delisted/traded. I agree if thats the case.

Callan is a good player to have on your list because you know he'll contribute when called upon, however he isn't a player who you consider in your best 22.

Yep, I get it now.

BulldogBelle
21-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Annoying how they said 'We have the GF we all wanted' - same as they said last year.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Annoying how they said 'We have the GF we all wanted' - same as they said last year.

F... I hate that saying. Its like we didn't need any of the finals, dismiss the fact another team got dealt the short straw.
I really hope its a one sided GF.

Before I Die
21-09-2009, 11:25 PM
F... I hate that saying. Its like we didn't need any of the finals, dismiss the fact another team got dealt the short straw.
I really hope its a one sided GF.

I agree, I hope Geelong smash them. Not that I have any inherent dislike for St Kilda, I just couldn't stand the smugness all the so called experts (read, has beens) would be exuding if the team with the twin towers wins the GF.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Why each year do we have players wanting to leave? Power, Jordy, Faz and now supposedly Everitt? Is it most likely a situation with all of the above players being fringe players, thinking they will find a side where they will fit in and actually make the team, or a problem within the club?

comrade
22-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Why each year do we have players wanting to leave? Power, Jordy, Faz and now supposedly Everitt? Is it most likely a situation with all of the above players being fringe players, thinking they will find a side where they will fit in and actually make the team, or a problem within the club?

It's an interesting trend, but each of those guys share some similarities (outside types that lack intensity).

I think it suggests the direction we're going and the attributes that Rocket places a premium on - maybe they see the writing on the wall and rather than try and improve themselves, they look to move on.

Begs the question, why did Clayton throw our first round picks away on guys who struggle to compete?

AndrewP6
22-09-2009, 12:21 AM

I think this was the issue with Power and Farren Ray (all the experts call him by both names!). Don't think it's specific to our club, happens every year to some degree.

IIRC, Jordy wanted to leave because he was having some personal problems (read: girl troubles), and in his opinion, "the previous club" didn't offer him enough support -ie- Rocket didn't jump on a plane and beg his missus to come back home. The stupid little sissy.

MrMahatma
22-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I hope the Saints get pumped too.

They don't deserve to be there IMO. Simple. They don't deserve the flag.

strebla
22-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I hope the Saints get pumped too.

They don't deserve to be there IMO. Simple. They don't deserve the flag.

I know where you are comming from but then Geelong win it may as well be Essendon (yuk)I am soooooo confused:confused::confused::confused:

azabob
22-09-2009, 06:30 PM
It's an interesting trend, but each of those guys share some similarities (outside types that lack intensity).

Begs the question, why did Clayton throw our first round picks away on guys who struggle to compete?

In fairness to Ray im not sure competiting was his problem but the rest yes.

J Grant - Does he compete? Does he have intensity? Have not seen him live so its hard to tell.