PDA

View Full Version : Nick Columb Calls Reivolting a CHEAT

bornadog
21-09-2009, 01:28 PM
On SEN now, calling Nick deceitful. Says a stain on our game.

Says what we know, took a dive.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 01:30 PM
The problem lies with the umpire and NOT with Riewoldt.

Brad Johnson would have done exactly the same thing if faced with that situation.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Doesn't he know what the AFL do to SEN presenters who have a different view to the AFL????

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Brad Johnson would have done exactly the same thing if faced with that situation.
Correct Weight.

Sedat
21-09-2009, 01:31 PM

100% correct. The rule promotes the incentive to dive. Blame the rule.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Blame the umpire for making comments to Dale in front of Rooey. To let a player know if he dives you will pay a free kick is disgusting.

bornadog
21-09-2009, 01:38 PM

Problem lies with the AFL, who decided several weeks ago that the full back should stop niggling the FF. It happened in the North game when the FB (can't remember his name), kept elbowing Fev in the back, non stop. As usual, the AFL overreacted.

However, again, this is a rule or interpretation of a rule that is not consistent, as the niggling happens all the time, all over the ground........... that is football, you try and intimidate your opponent.

As for Nick, I do have a problem with that, he took the dive, just like in soccer. Soccer have clamped down on this . Soccer call these guys cheats, I am with Nick Coloumb the guy is a cheat.

Dale Morris was warned about the knocking him over, Nick heard the ump and took advantage, yes he dived and thats cheating.

Sorry, don't agree with Brad Johnston would have done the same. Brad is knocked about week after week, and doesn't dive just before the bounce of the ball, that is crap

firstdogonthemoon
21-09-2009, 01:47 PM

I agree. And we would have been delighted if the situation was reversed.

However, where I accuse Reiwoldt of being soft, I wouldn't say the same thing about Johnno and this only because I am a dogs supporter.

Reiwoldt isn't soft. He does seem a bit of a sook though.

Johnno stages occasionally and it is this slight imperfection that makes me love him even more.

The decision was appalling, it's not reiwoldt's fault.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2009, 02:04 PM
AS REPORTED IN THE AGE NEWSPAPER SEPT 11TH:

"FOOTBALLERS staging for free kicks and 50-metre penalties could incur the wrath of the match review panel next season with the AFL set to penalise the time-honoured practice.

AFL football operations boss Adrian Anderson has revealed that players who exaggerate the impact of on-field incidents to gain an advantage could be reported for misconduct in 2010 following a number of strong recommendations from clubs.

''I think it's something we need to have a look at,'' Anderson told The Age. ''It can make it very difficult for umpires to officiate correctly if players start acting for free kicks.''

A review of the tribunal is set to take place at the end of the season and the staging penalty is expected to be recommended by the panel of Anderson, tribunal chairman David Jones and AFL bosses Mike Fitzpatrick and Andrew Demetriou."

I would have liked a reporter to have asked Anderson what he thought of the free after he was quoted as above. It would make for interesting reading. The only quote I read was from Patrick Keane, although I might be mistaken.

mighty_west
21-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Don't want to hear that from Coloumb, we don't need to look like sooky la la's, and he will be linked to the club from outsiders with his strong views.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 02:40 PM

That's like saying that because there is an incentive of a penalty for falling over in the box (in soccer), it's understandable to dive. It isn't -- it's a blight on the game and FIFA are trying hard to stamp it out.

Sure, the rule is crap, but even the rule is a free-kick for an ACTUAL occurence, not a SIMULATION of the event, which is what this was with Nick. If Brian smacked him hard enough to knock him over, fair enough, pay the kick. Brian touched him, he fell over. That's simulation.

A cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

ps. If the AFL had any balls, Nick would be suspended from the GF for diving. But of course, they don't, so he won't.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 02:45 PM

No he wouldn't. Johnno exaggerates contact in the context of play (still borderline cheating, and something we all frown on in any case as he would be better off keeping his feet in most cases), but he doesn't stop, take two, then fall over a full two seconds after being touched, with the ball 80 metres away.

Roo has always been the biggest, softest sook. He should eat shit about this for as long as there is shit to eat.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 02:51 PM
No he wouldn't. Johnno exaggerates contact in the context of play (still borderline cheating, and something we all frown on in any case as he would be better off keeping his feet in most cases), but he doesn't stop, take two, then fall over a full two seconds after being touched, with the ball 80 metres away.

Roo has always been the biggest, softest sook. He should eat shit about this for as long as there is shit to eat.

I can't agree with that.

If some deadshit umpire had told Johnson's opponent (whoever that is) what was allegedly said to Morris and Johnson was in ear-shot and then felt contact come his way he would have hit the deck as quickly as he could... He would be silly not too.

I agree that Riewoldt is a big sook, but he did exactly what I would expect our players to do if faced with the same situation.

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Reiwoldt isn't soft. He does seem a bit of a sook though.

He's caught it from that little sook who plays beside him in the pocket.

GVGjr
21-09-2009, 06:50 PM

It's been happening for years in the AFL and nothing has been said by Columb. This just smacks of sour grapes and doesn't do a lot for us. We shouldn't be questioning Riewoldt's integrity.

mel
21-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Geez ....Columb calls Saint Nick a cheat...that'll make him lose some sleep!

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 07:38 PM

Top post.

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 07:49 PM
It's been happening for years in the AFL and nothing has been said by Columb. This just smacks of sour grapes and doesn't do a lot for us. We shouldn't be questioning Riewoldt's integrity.

I know where you are coming from and maybe we shouldn't be party to such matters, but the integrity of our players is routinely questioned.

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Geez ....Columb calls Saint Nick a cheat...that'll make him lose some sleep!

Probably not, but he delights in the St Nick persona and the over inflated reaction to his every deed on the field. He won't like his integrity questioned.

Remi Moses
21-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Riewoldt the biggest German diver since Jurgen Klinsmann:mad:Seriously I blame the AFL and it's silly knee jerk rule changes. Just looking forward to seeing it again and again happen and no penalty applied

BulldogBelle
21-09-2009, 08:49 PM
It was Reiwoldt who was the cheat diver. The umpire was just stupid.

Because the umpire was stupid doesn't make Reiwoldt not a cheat.

What Johnno would or would not have done is irrelevant, it doesn't detract from the fact that Reiwoldt was a cheat and got away with it.

The AFL officials who agree with the decision are a bunch of sucks.

BulldogBelle
21-09-2009, 09:16 PM
It was Reiwoldt who was the cheat diver. The umpire was just stupid.

Because the umpire was stupid doesn't make Reiwoldt not a cheat.

What Johnno would or would not have done is irrelevant, it doesn't detract from the fact that Reiwoldt was a cheat and got away with it.

The AFL officials who agree with the decision are a bunch of sucks.

Agree - would go for something stronger than stupid for the umps though.

bornadog
22-09-2009, 12:25 AM
We shouldn't be questioning Riewoldt's integrity.

Why not? The way he fell down he should take the Emmy Award off Toni Collette

GVGjr
22-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Why not? The way he fell down he should take the Emmy Award off Toni Collette

I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between acting and staging for a free kick and being called a cheat.
Did he act and stage for a free kick? - Yes. Is he a cheat? - No.

When you call someone a cheat you are questioning their integrity and Coloumb was wrong to do so.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between acting and staging for a free kick and being called a cheat.
Did he act and stage for a free kick? - Yes. Is he a cheat? - No.

When you call someone a cheat you are questioning their integrity and Coloumb was wrong to do so.

Riewoldt was a cheat. I do question his integrity.

Gary, you know I respect your views, but I don't see how 'acting and staging for a free kick' is different from cheating. Soccer has come around to this and is trying to stamp it out because it is a blight on the game. The more staging there is the harder it is to officiate as umps can't tell what's real and what's not, so they end up guessing and penalising the wrong ones.

bornadog
22-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Gary, you know I respect your views, but I don't see how 'acting and staging for a free kick' is different from cheating. Soccer has come around to this and is trying to stamp it out because it is a blight on the game. The more staging there is the harder it is to officiate as umps can't tell what's real and what's not, so they end up guessing and penalising the wrong ones.

I also think staging is also slightly different. Sometimes staging is exaggerating an action so that the umpire can see the free kick. What Nick did was fall to the ground when he was bumped, with practically no force at all. He didn't just exaggerate it. If he was hit as hard as was made out, why wasn't Lake reported for striking?

The other thing that Colomb said was he agreed that fullbacks should not be constantly elbowing the FF, but he thought the free kick should have been in the centre of the ground, not right in front of goal.

In any case, the AFL have once more not thought out the whole thing and with a knee jerk reaction created something that will change the game forever.

aker39
22-09-2009, 10:50 AM
The other thing that Colomb said was he agreed that fullbacks should not be constantly elbowing the FF, but he thought the free kick should have been in the centre of the ground, not right in front of goal.

Which clearly shows Nick has no idea what he is talking about.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Hypothetical, maybe he wouldn't have; but if he would've I would've disrespected Johnson also. Johnno does stage and it's the one blemish in his character that I know of.
To dive like Reiwoldt did, in front of goal in a prelim of such importance for both clubs is gutless/despicable/cheating when an umpire has indicated a real infringement will incur a penalty. It is abusing the judges duty of care and his authority on the game, both of which the umpire must have.
It also went a long way to robbing us of a GF birth that all our endeavour and skill had earned us.

GVGjr
22-09-2009, 06:38 PM

If you are going to take every little piece within a game like staging for free kicks, hiding the fact that you are running the ball out of bounds but pretending you aren't, pushing someone around when the umps aren't looking, holding opponents back as an act of cheating then why would you watch the game?

How many times does Brad Johnson and other players stage for frees? Boyd's a master at running the ball out of bounds but making it look like he couldn't stop it, are you really questioning the integrity of our own guys?

It's wrong to question a players integrity just because the umpire made a mistake and called it wrong. If we had rebounded the ball and kicked a goal ourselves we would be laughing at Riewoldts lame attempt, applauding the umpire for getting it right and most importantly celebrating a win. No one would be questioning his integrity if we had won the game.