PDA

View Full Version : Cash for clubs as ground war ends with Etihad Stadium deal close

The Coon Dog
22-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Greg Denham | September 22, 2009

VICTORIAN clubs are poised for a huge financial windfall as the long-running standoff between Melbourne's second venue, Etihad Stadium, and the AFL appears headed for a settlement, as early as this week.

A meeting in Melbourne yesterday between the AFL and its clubs was told by the league that the frustrating stadium battle, which has been crippling clubs that play home games at Etihad Stadium, could be drawing to a close.

The AFL is understood to have agreed to a compromise, which has been put to Etihad Stadium's Sydney-based board of owners.

Article in full...including: (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26106114-5012432,00.html)

Next year, should the Etihad Stadium deal be finalised as expected, the biggest financial winners will be the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne, Richmond and the Saints. With improved stadium deals, annual special distribution remaining at similar levels as this year, and with discretionary AFL bonuses to enhance equalisation, the Dogs, Kangaroos and Demons are expected to have their revenue increased by up to $3.3m. Richmond and St Kilda are expected to reap almost $2.5m.

comrade
22-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope this deal holds up and we put the windfall straight back into the football department (good development coaches, more pay for the assistant coaches), fitness staff (lock Davoren up for a couple of years) and pay for a few more rookies.

Mantis
22-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I hope this deal holds up and we put the windfall straight back into the football department (good development coaches, more pay for the assistant coaches), fitness staff (lock Davoren up for a couple of years) and pay for a few more rookies.

I would hope on top this that a bit of extra cash is found to ensure we are able to pay the full amount of $$'s we are allowed outside the salary cap via the marketing fund.

We have entrenched ourselves within the top 4 of the competition and to ensure we stay there we have to do all we can to keep our young & established players happy.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 09:36 AM
This represents a massive increase in revenue and will be welcomed by the Board in a big way.

Clearly, the intention firstly is to enable us to pay all of the salary cap and the marketing allowance so that our players are not disadvantaged nor being at risk to being poached by a Pelchen or similar.

Similarly, being able to attract the best support people rather than the leftovers must benefit us in the long term.

Every Bulldog supporter ought to cross everything for this to happen

bornadog
22-09-2009, 09:51 AM
First thing to do with the money is wipe out any debt.

Mantis
22-09-2009, 09:56 AM
This represents a massive increase in revenue and will be welcomed by the Board in a big way.

Clearly, the intention firstly is to enable us to pay all of the salary cap and the marketing allowance so that our players are not disadvantaged nor being at risk to being poached by a Pelchen or similar.

Similarly, being able to attract the best support people rather than the leftovers must benefit us in the long term.

Every Bulldog supporter ought to cross everything for this to happen

This isn't the case.

We may not pay the premium price, but we have very good people working in our football department because if we didn't we would be down the bottom of the ladder rather than near the top.

Before I Die
22-09-2009, 10:04 AM
This news has actually put a very small smile on my face. Amazing, considering the scowl I have been wearing since last Friday.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Great news, but anything that involves that arsehole Collins i will wait for confirmation before getting excited.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Great news, but anything that involves that arsehole Collins i will wait for confirmation before getting excited.

That's not very nice. Arseholes the world over may justifiably be offended by being mentioned in the same sentence as Collins.

Sockeye Salmon
22-09-2009, 10:50 AM
As soon as all clubs are financially secure the PA will start putting in for pay rises.

Along with under the table payments when free agency comes in, we (or someone else) will shortly be back in the same position.

Unfortunately, just like someone is always on the bottom of the ladder, someone will always be on the bottom of the financial ladder as well, and that club will still be vunerable - let's just hope it's not us..

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 11:31 AM
As soon as all clubs are financially secure the PA will start putting in for pay rises.

Along with under the table payments when free agency comes in, we (or someone else) will shortly be back in the same position.

Unfortunately, just like someone is always on the bottom of the ladder, someone will always be on the bottom of the financial ladder as well, and that club will still be vunerable - let's just hope it's not us..

I don't think the doggies will do to well with free agency... :(

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 12:03 PM
This isn't the case.

We may not pay the premium price, but we have very good people working in our football department because if we didn't we would be down the bottom of the ladder rather than near the top.

What happened to Montgomery?

How many fitness blokes do we lose before you acknowledge this fact?

Mantis
22-09-2009, 12:25 PM
What happened to Montgomery?

How many fitness blokes do we lose before you acknowledge this fact?

Monty couldn't knock back the money that was offered to him for a development role.

We lost Cordy who was supposedly very good to the Australian cricket team. Falloon left to go to Port, but I don't think we were too unhappy that he departed and it is hardly like he has taken Port's fitness to a new level.

Davoren looks to be a keeper and I am hoping that we do all in our powers... and then a little more to ensure he remains with us for some time yet, if he does leave I hope his assistant is like a sponge and is gathering all the necessary info. which will ensure we remain one of the competitions fittest teams.

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Monty couldn't knock back the money that was offered to him for a development role.
We lost Cordy who was supposedly very good to the Australian cricket team. Falloon left to go to Port, but I don't think we were too unhappy that he departed and it is hardly like he has taken Port's fitness to a new level.

Davoren looks to be a keeper and I am hoping that we do all in our powers... and then a little more to ensure he remains with us for some time yet, if he does leave I hope his assistant is like a sponge and is gathering all the necessary info. which will ensure we remain one of the competitions fittest teams.

That is precisely my point

From the benefit of hindsight, we are better off without Falloon but he still jumped ship for greener pastures. Davoren was a punt which turned out a golden goal

MrMahatma
22-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Very good news. $3.3 mil per year extra - plus our income has been increasing organically anyway. So we could be $3.5mil+ better off next year - pay off the debt quickly and down go the expenses also...

we're here to stay!

Rocco Jones
22-09-2009, 04:16 PM

I would hope on top this that a bit of extra cash is found to ensure we are able to pay the full amount of $$'s we are allowed outside the salary cap via the marketing fund.

We have entrenched ourselves within the top 4 of the competition and to ensure we stay there we have to do all we can to keep our young & established players happy.

Could not agree more but not so sure Campbell Rose would see it that way! I know CEO's are innately like that but he seems to place an especially low value on the Footy Department.

strebla
22-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I may be wrong here but isn't Cambell Trying to get some extra cash out of Mission to fund a full list and extra funds for the outside the cap aswell. If thats the case then i doubt he would see this as any different !

Rocco Jones
22-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I may be wrong here but isn't Cambell Trying to get some extra cash out of Mission to fund a full list and extra funds for the outside the cap aswell. If thats the case then i doubt he would see this as any different !

I think Rose's first aim is to make regular, healthy profits and fair enough too. Once it is clear that we will make a healthy profit, I am sure Rose will be fine with pumping up the FD (well he has to).

bulldogtragic
22-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Could we afford to create the VFL team, Footscray Football Club and be stand alone with this cash?

Hence developing our own players.

strebla
22-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Could we afford to create the VFL team, Footscray Football Club and be stand alone with this cash?

I would think this is quite a few years off unfortunately

boydogs
22-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like very good news :)

BulldogBelle
22-09-2009, 09:13 PM
This news partly wipes away the Bitter and Twisted feeling l felt after Friday night.

Good news!!!!!!!!

Rocco Jones
22-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Does anyone know how much a stand alone VFL licence costs these days? The overall additional cost would be interesting, would have to factor in paying our VFL coach's full salary. Would it be much more than hiring another senior assistant coach? I don't see the great need for paying for quality state league players like Pods. Winning takes a distant back seat to development.

Sockeye Salmon
22-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know how much a stand alone VFL licence costs these days? The overall additional cost would be interesting, would have to factor in paying our VFL coach's full salary. Would it be much more than hiring another senior assistant coach? I don't see the great need for paying for quality state league players like Pods. Winning takes a distant back seat to development.

It was mentioned a while back that your own VFL team costs about $500K per year.

jazzadogs
23-09-2009, 12:00 AM
It was mentioned a while back that your own VFL team costs about $500K per year.
Also mentioned by the VFL boss (is it Peter Schwab?) that they don't want any more stand alone clubs added to the league.

The Etihad deal is great news though.

Mantis
23-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Update:

AC/DC, Vic clubs win in Etihad deal (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-set-to-announce-new-etihad-stadium-deal/story-e6frf8w6-1225778462309)

ledge
23-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I hope this goes up every year as the 5 mill wont be worth anywhere near as much by 2025

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Great result.

KT31
23-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Agree totally.
Could be the difference of a flag or not.