PDA

View Full Version : Player Development in Todays Footy

Bulldog Revolution
08-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Reading Mofras post on whether Eade was holding back I started to think about Player development. Its clear to me that Eade has his eye on developing our player list almost constantly.

Player development is an interesting issue in todays footy. It used to be that players would sit in the reserves developing, doing an apprenticeship until they had consistently dominated - and then they were ready. I think Wallace did this too much when he was with us and it was part of his weakness, but hes changed his tune at Richmond.

Todays player doesn't seem to have the patience for an apprenticeship of that length. But also it seems that to ensure players do develop they need to be given a taste of the speed and intensity of AFL footy so that they can see what they are working towards etc.

It also seems rare that almost every team will not have a number of development players in the team who are being blooded/given a taste each week.

When you look at our list the development path of an apprenticeship is rare - Cross probably fits the bill well, but still got tastes of league footy in his 3rd and 4th seasons before coming a regular in season 5. But guys like Murphy, Hahn, Higgins, Griffen, Cooney were all eased in, in their first seasons in roles where they could get a taste, but also get some time in the VFL. Others like Hargraves, Gilbee, Gia all played a bit of VFL footy but they certainly got plenty of tastes of senior football.

In the current team we have Higgins, Wight, and Addison as real development players with Harbrow and Williams all having had tastes this year. I think its crucial that Eade continues to find opportunities to blood and develop our younger players. I never thought I would say this but our team actually still needs to find a few more midfielders,hopefully two more Matt Boyd clones

Dry Rot
10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I never thought I would say this but our team actually still needs to find a few more midfielders,hopefully two more Matt Boyd clones

Totally agree - we need one or two more big bodied accountable midfielders.

Is this the source of our clearance problem?

Go_Dogs
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I really hope Faulkner plays this week.

I think having a few bigger bodies, who work hard BOTH ways would improve us a lot. At the moment a few of our guys don't work hard enough with their pressure and running backwards. A few still get pushed off the ball too easily.

Hahn and Faulkner would help us a lot, as well as help our forward line pressure too. The sooner both are in the team and playing well, the better.

Bulldog Revolution
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Totally agree - we need one or two more big bodied accountable midfielders.

Is this the source of our clearance problem?

Its definitely part of it,

the most likely candidates on the list to help address the problem are:

Cooney - seems restricted by his OP and pre-season
Griffen - has not started in the sparkling touch expected by many after his
Hahn - clearly a player that adds physicality and grunt to the side
Power - has not really shown its his game, but he has a perfect combination of size, height and endurance - could he be a tagger?

And then there is the man mountain Peter Street - IMO the side has greatly missed him at the start of the season, I expect our centre square work to improve the more he plays

Perhaps Faulkner is also an option, he hasn't spent much time in the centre square in the senior AFL team, he still looks to me like he is improving - actually I think he looks better in the VFL than ever before, his game just looks more solid.

Hard to know whether Addison, McCormack or Higgins are longer term solutions - there still so light.

GVGjr
11-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Its definitely part of it,

the most likely candidates on the list to help address the problem are:

Cooney - seems restricted by his OP and pre-season
Griffen - has not started in the sparkling touch expected by many after his
Hahn - clearly a player that adds physicality and grunt to the side
Power - has not really shown its his game, but he has a perfect combination of size, height and endurance - could he be a tagger?

I really like the idea of trying Power in this role but probably not a midfield centre square role. Morris of course could also be used in a real tagging type role along with the players you have already mentioned. I would also add Faulkner to the mix and because he is a player keen to find his niche in the team he could quickly adapt.

Bulldog Revolution
18-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I really like the idea of trying Power in this role but probably not a midfield centre square role. Morris of course could also be used in a real tagging type role along with the players you have already mentioned. I would also add Faulkner to the mix and because he is a player keen to find his niche in the team he could quickly adapt.

Faulkner is another who would be interesting as a tagging option

Does he have the engine to do it?

Faulkner IMO is having his most consistent year of footy since he has been with the club, he looks to have matured, looks bigger, fitter and smarter.
And really he is still only young - 23

I have a feeling that when he gets his chance there will be no holding him back this time

southerncross
18-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Faulkner is another who would be interesting as a tagging option

Does he have the engine to do it?

Faulkner IMO is having his most consistent year of footy since he has been with the club, he looks to have matured, looks bigger, fitter and smarter.
And really he is still only young - 23

I have a feeling that when he gets his chance there will be no holding him back this time

I'd question the fitness level of Faulkner. From what I hear he hasn't always been the hardest worker on the training track and I think this has hurt him in the selectors eyes. He has started to turn things around though and should now be in the mix. Like a lot of players he will need to make the most of any opportunity that presents itself.

LostDoggy
19-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Player development is an interesting issue in todays footy. It used to be that players would sit in the reserves developing, doing an apprenticeship until they had consistently dominated - and then they were ready. I think Wallace did this too much when he was with us and it was part of his weakness, but hes changed his tune at Richmond.

Todays player doesn't seem to have the patience for an apprenticeship of that length. But also it seems that to ensure players do develop they need to be given a taste of the speed and intensity of AFL footy so that they can see what they are working towards etc.

I think the is a few reasons why clubs cannot afford to groom too many players in the reserves for too long.
a) The smaller playing lists have necessitated the need to promote players before they are physically ready or have really served their apprenticeship. You can have 3 or 4 long term project players but not 6 or 7 like they did years ago. From memory, the Hawks from the 80's would almost never play a youngster until the had played 80 reserves games. Of course there was always some exceptions but players were generally introduced to the seniors with a lot more senior football experience.

b) The junior competitions are now really preparing players for a quick transition as well. They are highly professional and are developing players for the requirements of AFL footy.

c) Recruiting has become more of a science than it was 10 years ago and in particular the clubs realisation of just how much it costs to recruit a player and not have him give a return on that investment in a reasonable amount of time.

I like the way list are structured now with a combination of silky skilled developing types like Lynch and Hill balanced along with late developers like Morris and Boyd.
Pask and Hughes are on the rookie list to develop because they have played a bit of senior footy elsewhere but Harbrow gets the call up because he was the best performed.

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd question the fitness level of Faulkner. From what I hear he hasn't always been the hardest worker on the training track and I think this has hurt him in the selectors eyes. He has started to turn things around though and should now be in the mix. Like a lot of players he will need to make the most of any opportunity that presents itself.

A lot of that makes sense in terms of the opportunities he has received over the years.
He certainly looks a guy who is much more comfortable in his own skin now.

He was offered to Port last season in the trade period and the ball was left in Ports court as to whether to go ahead - and Port did not show great interest in getting the deal done.
So I expect that was a bit of a slap in the face for someone touted as the next McLeod.

Its still no certainty that he will make it, but he's on the right path.

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I think the is a few reasons why clubs cannot afford to groom too many players in the reserves for too long.
a) The smaller playing lists have necessitated the need to promote players before they are physically ready or have really served their apprenticeship. You can have 3 or 4 long term project players but not 6 or 7 like they did years ago. From memory, the Hawks from the 80's would almost never play a youngster until the had played 80 reserves games. Of course there was always some exceptions but players were generally introduced to the seniors with a lot more senior football experience.

b) The junior competitions are now really preparing players for a quick transition as well. They are highly professional and are developing players for the requirements of AFL footy.

c) Recruiting has become more of a science than it was 10 years ago and in particular the clubs realisation of just how much it costs to recruit a player and not have him give a return on that investment in a reasonable amount of time.

I like the way list are structured now with a combination of silky skilled developing types like Lynch and Hill balanced along with late developers like Morris and Boyd.
Pask and Hughes are on the rookie list to develop because they have played a bit of senior footy elsewhere but Harbrow gets the call up because he was the best performed.

A lot of what you say is true, but Clayton tends to really like selecting players who take a little longer to realise their talent - he picks them on a long term development than short term ready to play. He rarely selects heavily built juniors and many of them have needed a lot of time, and look like they will continue to. For instance in last years draft it appears we drafted no players with a strict view of them playing this year. However I guess the rookie draft did allow us to tab Hughes and Pask who provide depth if needed, and should add hunger to the group.

So its an interesting balance

Dry Rot
19-05-2007, 10:22 PM
A lot of what you say is true, but Clayton tends to really like selecting players who take a little longer to realise their talent - he picks them on a long term development than short term ready to play. He rarely selects heavily built juniors and many of them have needed a lot of time, and look like they will continue to.

Anyone else beginning to query this? Or at least that the majority of the players are like this?

Can't really see Gia and Murphy getting any bigger, and we seem destined to always have trouble with the bigger bodied/more pyhsical sides.

Bulldog Revolution
20-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone else beginning to query this? Or at least that the majority of the players are like this?

Can't really see Gia and Murphy getting any bigger, and we seem destined to always have trouble with the bigger bodied/more pyhsical sides.

I thought our draft was really intriguing with all the lightly built aboriginal players lynch, harbrow, stack, hill

I would say DryRot that both Murph and Gia are clearly now big enough and strong enough for AFL footy. Bulk and size does not always equal strength.

Murph actually looks like he has spent a lot of time lifting this off season - he is noticably bigger IMO. Gia is a player who attracts a lot of criticism from our supporters but is consistently touted as a future captain internally. It seems to me he is a genuine all rounder, he does a lot more of the hard work in packs than most realise, is a good runner and pretty good user of the ball, he seems to have a good engine and is quick enough without being explosively quick. At times I think he lets himself down by not converting at a higher percentage, the same as Farren Ray.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I suppose I'm not claiming that Gia and Murphy aren't big enough per se, arther that we have too many such players and not enough Harris/Hahn/Brock McLean sized players.

My concern is the current mix (and recent drafting) not current players.

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I suppose I'm not claiming that Gia and Murphy aren't big enough per se, arther that we have too many such players and not enough Harris/Hahn/Brock McLean sized players.

I think we are close to getting a better balance and I think you do need a combination of speedy types complimented by the stronger bodied types.
I was looking at Bacher Houli playing for the Dons and thought he would have complimented our list pretty well.

Bulldog Revolution
20-05-2007, 11:26 PM

I have to say though (and I think we agree) that if I could have any young guy from another team I would love to have Brock McLean - he would really fit into our team beautifully