PDA

View Full Version : Scott Welsh's exit opens door for Barry Hall

BulldogBelle
22-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Some news on our club and Welsh announces retirement....

Scott Welsh's exit opens door for Barry Hall (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,26113231-5016169,00.html)
The Courier Mail | Mark Stevens and Damian Barrett | September 23, 2009

SCOTT Welsh has retired as the Western Bulldogs edge closer to landing their preferred replacement Barry Hall. In other developments at Whitten Oval, Jason Akermanis looks likely to play on for another season after a positive meeting with coaching staff yesterday.

"Yep, we've spoken, it was a good meeting," Akermanis said last night.

Welsh, who gave the Dogs two years of solid service as a leading forward, was comfortable the time was right to retire.

The 30-year-old, who kicked 363 goals in 205 games for the Bulldogs and Adelaide, has been making plans to move back to Adelaide for some time.

Welsh's departure leaves salary cap room for Hall..

The Dogs have been in discussion with Hall's management and it is understood the former Sydney Swans forward is close to nominating the Dogs as his preferred club.

It is believed there are now few hurdles in the way, with Hawthorn one club almost certainly out of the race.

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,26113231-5016169,00.html)to read the remainder of the article....

boydogs
22-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks BB
Skipper to go eh? Wonder what they have planned in the ruck stakes if Everitt is being traded?

Rocco Jones
22-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Thinking of Barry is the only thing that takes the sadness away.

AndrewP6
22-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Farewell Welshy... always liked him, gave two good years of service to the club... best of luck in the future.

As for Skipper, Wight and O'Shea, well it was only a matter of time.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I liked Welsh a lot. Thanks Welshy!

AndrewP6
23-09-2009, 01:21 AM

I only just noticed the new avatar.... love it.

Remi Moses
23-09-2009, 05:35 AM
I thought he was good for us overall . He was never going to fill the KPP void

Mantis
23-09-2009, 07:45 AM
It was hoped that Welsh would fill a void until our young talls (Grant mainly) had developed such that they could play a role in the senior team, which he has done. With Grant still some time off we need someone else to fill in for a few years so let's hope we can acquire Barry next week.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Scott for 2 years of great service! I always worried about him when he played for Adelaide, as he always seemed to kick a bag of goals on us. It was great to be able to turn the tables :D

Mantis
23-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks Scott for 2 years of great service! I always worried about him when he played for Adelaide, as he always seemed to kick a bag of goals on us. It was great to be able to turn the tables :D

When did he kick a bag against them?

From my re-collection his biggest bag was 4 against the Hawks down in Launceston.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:26 AM

From my re-collection his biggest bag was 4 against the Hawks down in Launceston.

Well when he was with the Crows he kicked at least 3 against us, I think he kicked 3 a few times with us against them so thats 6 goal turn around.

Mofra
23-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Thought he kicked 5 against the Lions at the MCG last year - wasn't he involved in the indident where that peanut punched the ball back into the crowd & he took the extra free kick?

BulldogBelle
23-09-2009, 08:52 AM

LMFAO. That pic is godly

Mantis
23-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Thought he kicked 5 against the Lions at the MCG last year - wasn't he involved in the indident where that peanut punched the ball back into the crowd & he took the extra free kick?

He did.

He also kicked 5 against Sydney at Manuka Oval last year as well.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 09:29 AM

I know. I thought about him immediately after the final siren on Friday, and haven't stopped since. It's a soothing, evil, thing, hope.

bornadog
23-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Bad luck to young O'Shea who is still only young, but unfortunately the many injuries he has sustained, has held his development back.

Desipura
23-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Give Hall the number 10 now!

neodog
23-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Was a good player and is still quite serviceable, will never forget the way he Giddy up for shot at goal. It was nice that the club have indicated their intentions early to Welsh so he can start his planning early.

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I know. I thought about him immediately after the final siren on Friday, and haven't stopped since. It's a soothing, evil, thing, hope.

What happens if he's not the one shot panacea we've been dreaming of?
What if in fact we struggle to adjust to having a big target in the forward line, and aren't sure how to work off of him?
What if he snaps and punches Aker just to get him to shut up?

Not trying to be a negative nelly but suddenly he's a big bald bustling Jesus rising up to save us (sorry, religion's not my strong point). In my experience it doesn't usually work out that way. He's also 32 and mental which is good but bad, y'know?

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 09:58 AM
What if in fact we struggle to adjust to having a big target in the forward line, and aren't sure how to work off of him?

Not trying to be a negative nelly but suddenly he's a big bald bustling Jesus rising up to save us (sorry, religion's not my strong point). In my experience it doesn't usually work out that way. He's also 32 and mental which is good but bad, y'know?

Who else can we pin our hopes on? Or should we not have any hope at all...

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Ahhh... shaddup your face.

ps. All good points. All true. I guess this is where Rocket earns his bread.

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Who else can we pin our hopes on? Or should we not have any hope at all...

We could pin our hopes on the group of players we've got and the continued development of the list. I don't know, maybe it's just the agnostic in me, but I don't believe in messiah's.

I'm more than happy to have him but I just don't think we should build ourselves up into a frenzy of "Barry gon' save us". I'm more than happy to be wrong.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I love how posters like to do the "He's no good" post about a player and then immediately say "I'm happy to be proven wrong".

Just say he's no good and he won't prove me wrong either, that's one way to make a statement and stand by it :p

bornadog
23-09-2009, 10:18 AM
We could pin our hopes on the group of players we've got and the continued development of the list. I don't know, maybe it's just the agnostic in me, but I don't believe in messiah's.

I'm more than happy to have him but I just don't think we should build ourselves up into a frenzy of "Barry gon' save us". I'm more than happy to be wrong.

Not a messiah, will just add another option in the forward line. We will still need Aker , Hill, Higgins, Johnno to kick around 30 plus goals each.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Let's face it, we can win games without BBB - but we need a distraction in the forward line for the opposition's defenders. He doesn't have to kick goals just take out their best defender.

If we get him I am looking forward to playing Caaaaaaaarrlton next year:D

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for two good years of sevice Welshy, i've enjoyed watching you giddyup to kick a goal - all the best in Adelaide.

Cyberdoggie
23-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Not a messiah, will just add another option in the forward line. We will still need Aker , Hill, Higgins, Johnno to kick around 30 plus goals each.

"He's not the Messiah!!, he's a very naughty boy!...."

Couldn't resist this classic quote.

I feel for paul O'Shea, I thought he had some potential, and didn't get a real chance to show it with his injuries. Would of been good to see him play a couple of games this year but unfortunately it's not to be.

Good Luck to Skipper and Wight also.

Wouldn't surprise me to see another club like maybe Collingwood, Sydney, Port, Freo or Richmond pick him up as a backup ruckman.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:25 AM
He's not the messiah, hes just a very naughty boy....

First of all good luck to Welshy in the next chapter of your life, thanks for your contribution.

Bring on Big Bad Bazza, crash them packs, need to pick up a really decent crumbing forward in trade week as well.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Dam to slow, well done Cyberdoggie style... classic film!

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I love how posters like to do the "He's no good" post about a player and then immediately say "I'm happy to be proven wrong".

Just say he's no good and he won't prove me wrong either, that's one way to make a statement and stand by it :p

Hey I'm a poster, maybe you mean me.

I never said he wasn't any good. I said he's not the be all and end all. It's equally as possible that we recruit him and end up coming 6th next year.
Also didn't make a statement that could be "proven wrong", it was more just a reality check not to build him up as being "the solution".
He may be as much question as answer.

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 10:33 AM

I agree. Those guys are also going to have to readjust to playing around a big forward which most of them haven't had for a long time, if at all. They'll need to do a lot of work over pre-season on this.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree. Those guys are also going to have to readjust to playing around a big forward which most of them haven't had for a long time, if at all. They'll need to do a lot of work over pre-season on this.

Sure, there'll be some readjustment as there always is when you bring new players in, but we already bomb the ball long to the hotspot, hoping Will, or some imaginary character on our list, would pull it down. At least this way we'll actually have someone who'll hang on to some marks, and guys like Aker, Gia etc. have been crumbing off, well, crumbs, these last few years and still kicked bagfuls themselves. Crumbing off a Barry Hall will surely be an improvement to just chasing tail all day long. Having already adjusted to living off scraps, the quality of ball on the ground next year will make it seem to Gia, Aker, Hill, Stack etc. like all their Christmases have come at once.

And if you think that Barry will be taking Welsh's spot, it's not as if much changes structurally, we just get a class upgrade in a position that Scott did well to hold down for a while.

Having said all that, of course BBBH is not the be all and end all -- us taking the next step with him is predicated on the rest of the team continuing to hold their form and/or improve, which I think we all reasonably assume, with the age of the group, will be largely the case.

Topdog
23-09-2009, 11:09 AM

If all those things happens we basically end up where we have been for the past 55 years. No harm in trying.

Topdog
23-09-2009, 11:10 AM

I honestly could care less what happens in the regular season. They could all kick 100 goals but it matters little if we don't get to the big dance.

ratsmac
23-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Well done Welshy, loved having you in the team, you were definately worth the punt and lets just hope BBBBH is also worth the punt.
It will be nice having Hall in the team just so we have someone who can put the fear of God in opposing teams. If he hits a chin I hope it's Nick Riewoldt's cos it will give him a real reason to dive!!!

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Welshy for the 2 years. Always hated playing the Crows because you always seemed to play well against us. Was glad to hear it when we got you.

Scraggers
23-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Except for this article by Mark Stevens and Damian Barrett, I can find no other evidence about Welsh's retirement.

Surely he would rate a mention on the AFL's website or the Western Bulldogs website ??

That's not to say the info is not there ... maybe I'm just having a 'boys look' :o

Anyone else find anything on it, or are Stevens and Barrett speculating ??

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Except for this article by Mark Stevens and Damian Barrett, I can find no other evidence about Welsh's retirement.

Surely he would rate a mention on the AFL's website or the Western Bulldogs website ??

That's not to say the info is not there ... maybe I'm just having a 'boys look' :o

Stevens is the Doggies "in house" HS journo (and Dogs supporter). If he's reporting it it is very likely true.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Farewell Welshy... always liked him, gave two good years of service to the club... best of luck in the future.

Totally agree, gave everything he had for us.

azabob
23-09-2009, 05:26 PM

I thought he kicked a few in his first game for us which happened to be against the crows and Johson played his 300th?

bornadog
23-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Welsh Retires (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/85222/default.aspx)
5:16 PM Wed 23 September, 2009

Welsh Retires

Western Bulldogs forward Scott Welsh has announced his retirement from AFL football after 205 games. In a career spanning almost 15 years with the North Melbourne, Adelaide and Western Bulldogs Football Club’s, the 30 year old finishes his career with 363 goals.

Originally from West Adelaide, Welsh was drafted by the Kangaroos in the 1995 National AFL Draft with pick 17 and after playing in North Melbourne’s 1999 Premiership, was traded to the Adelaide Football Club. He was the Crow’s leading goal kicker in four different seasons before being recruited to the Western Bulldogs.

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Rodney Eade said the Club had no hesitation in taking Welsh with pick number 4 in the 2008 pre-season draft.

“At the time we needed another option in the forward line and it actually just fell in our lap that Scott Welsh was out of contract. Obviously he could take a contested mark and was a proven goal kicker and we have been really pleased with his performance,” Eade said.

Welsh was hampered by a series of back complaints during Season 2009, but was still able to move into defence and play as a sweeper when required, and according to Eade, his strengths were not limited to his influence on the field.

“I think he really enjoyed that role and we certainly thought it was very beneficial to the team. As a person he was terrific for the Club, he fitted in extremely well and was very popular amongst his teammates. I think apart from his football he really added to the group as well in that sense. He is obviously leaving the Club having made a huge impression and he knows he is welcome back at the Western Bulldogs anytime,” Eade said.

Assistant Coach Paul Williams agreed with Eade and says he will miss Welsh’s influence in the forward line.

“Scott added experience and direction to the forward line, he was very good at helping set up all the structures. He was very much a team first kind of player and would fulfil any role we asked him to do, very selfless,” Williams said.

Welsh now plans to return to his hometown of Adelaide and says he will look back at his time at Whitten Oval with fond memories.

“I just want to thank the Western Bulldogs for giving me the opportunity to play with them over the last couple of years and I wish the Club all the best going forward as they strive for their next premiership,” Welsh said.

In other news at the Western Bulldogs, Wayde Skipper, Cameron Wight and Paul O'Shea have been informed they will be delisted unless an appropriate trade can be negotiated.
for westernbulldogs.com.au

Scraggers
23-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks Bornadog :)

KT31
23-09-2009, 11:21 PM
What if in fact we struggle to adjust to having a big target in the forward line, and aren't sure how to work off of him?What if he snaps and punches Aker just to get him to shut up?
We have nothing to lose.
If Bazza is no good for us so be it.
At least he can spend a bit of time at training teaching the young pups about being decent forwards.
All of the above are better than being knocked out in another prelim wondering, what if ?
Bazza may not be the answer but at least if he isn't we will be one step closer to finding one.

KT31
23-09-2009, 11:23 PM
"He's not the Messiah!!, he's a very naughty boy!...."

Couldn't resist this classic quote.

Beat me to it.