PDA

View Full Version : Brock McLean QUITS the Dee's!

mighty_west
23-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Just broken on SEN, that Melbourne's Brock McLean & the club have agreed to seek a trade to Carlton, most likely for pick 11.

A press release from the Demons has confirmed this BREAKING NEWS.

hujsh
23-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Now we can hear even more about how great the Carlton midfield is.

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Just broken on SEN, that Melbourne's Brock McLean & the club have agreed to seek a trade to Carlton, most likely for pick 11.

A press release from the Demons has confirmed this BREAKING NEWS.

Won't he put a lot of grunt into an already formidable midfield?

I'd guess that Sylvia might also be traded if a decent deal could be struck.

mighty_west
23-09-2009, 08:22 PM

I just wonder if that is curtains for Nick Stevens?

That would be a massive blow to Melbourne if they lost both Brock & Sylvia, he really starting showing why he was a top draft pick this season.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Didn't see this coming at all.

Melbourne will be loaded up with draft picks, if pick 11 is correct.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Yep, so I guess us trading Andrejs Everitt for Pick 11 ain't possible now. Does anyone think we really would trade Everitt. The draft this year sucks!

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I just wonder if that is curtains for Nick Stevens?

That would be a massive blow to Melbourne if they lost both Brock & Sylvia, he really starting showing why he was a top draft pick this season.

Hasn't Stevens got another year on his contract ? They will play him on a back flank and he will be good in that role.

I think that Melbourne have said enough is enough and we will start form scratch.
If this is to be believed then they currently have picks 1, 2, 11 and 18 which is a great position in a shallow draft.

By the way, Ray was drafted pick 4 the same year that McLean (5) was and we got bugger all for him last year and now McLean is getting the Demons pick 11.
We are either not drafting well enough or not developing players correctly.

comrade
23-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Andrejs to Melbourne for pick 11?

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep, so I guess us trading Andrejs Everitt for Pick 11 ain't possible now. Does anyone think we really would trade Everitt. The draft this year sucks!

I say keep him

chef
23-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Is he really worth that?

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Our trading history of our first round drafts picks wouldn't suggest that is much of a chance.

comrade
23-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Our trading history of our first round drafts picks wouldn't suggest that is much of a chance.

To be fair, the first rounders we've traded have been very average.

I agree that pick 11 is probably out of reach, but I could see Melbourne putting up pick 18 which is a line ball call IMO.

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Maybe Carlton decided they needed a striaghtlaced influence to keep Fev in line :)

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 08:42 PM
To be fair, the first rounders we've traded have been very average.

I agree that pick 11 is probably out of reach, but I could see Melbourne putting up pick 18 which is a line ball call IMO.

Rays season would suggest that he was better than average and McLean has been trade for more out of reputation than runs on the board over the last 12 months.
I suppose we did OK with the McMahon trade. :)

Mantis
23-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Rays season would suggest that he was better than average and McLean has been trade for more out of reputation than runs on the board over the last 12 months.

In a very good team his deficiencies have been hidden. When we applied the blowtorch on Friday night he made the same mistakes we have seen in the past.

It will be interesting to see how he goes on Saturday.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:50 PM
In a very good team his deficiencies have been hidden. When we applied the blowtorch on Friday night he made the same mistakes we have seen in the past.

I agree with Mantis, still makes the same old mistakes.

comrade
23-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Inside midfielders will always have more trade cache than an outside receiving type.

Seeing Ray do the old 'deer in headlights' act on Friday night put a perverse smile on my face.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Have heard that Stevens is gone from Carlton?

Was it just reported on SEN?

Sedat
23-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Farren Ray has had a very good first season with the Saints, but so did Pat Bowden at Richmond and Sam Power at North. Hell, even Jordy was alright for Richmond in 2008. Longevity is not often achieved with recycled players at their new club. And yes, Ray has made the same elementary mistakes in both finals so far in 2009 that we saw from him in the 2008 QF.

Smart move by the Blues to target some inside midfield grunt. They might have a quality offensive midfield but they are sorely lacking in defensive efforts.

comrade
23-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Smart move by the Blues to target some inside midfield grunt. They might have a quality offensive midfield but they are sorely lacking in defensive efforts.

Will McLean really offer much more than Richard Hadley did this year? Both are hard nuts, both are injury prone, but Hadley didn't cost them a prime pick.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow. Great coup for Carlton one would think.

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 09:24 PM
MELBOURNE announced on Wednesday that it had reached an in principle agreement with Carlton to trade Brock McLean for their first round draft pick (No.11 overall) in this year's NAB AFL National Draft.

McLean met with Melbourne officials on Monday and informed them of his request to be traded from the club.

The agreement with Carlton is subject to the completion of medical screenings and the finalisation of paperwork during the exchange period, which starts on 5 October.

Dees to trade McLean to Carlton for pick No.11 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85230/default.aspx)

Sedat
23-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Will McLean really offer much more than Richard Hadley did this year? Both are hard nuts, both are injury prone, but Hadley didn't cost them a prime pick.
If they lose Hadley (which is being mooted), they'll need to replace him with another hard nut - I think McLean is a better player than Hadley, has had less serious injuries and is younger. I do agree with you that pick 11 is overs but when you are desperate to fill a hole on your list you'll tend to pay overs (unless you are Rodney Eade and can work trade week like a charm).

comrade
23-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Big name players are walking left, right and centre and it'll only get worse next year with GC dollars up for grabs.

Our head honchos have their work cut out securing our stars over the next 12 months.

comrade
23-09-2009, 09:30 PM
If they lose Hadley (which is being mooted), they'll need to replace him with another hard nut - I think McLean is a better player than Hadley, has had less serious injuries and is younger. I do agree with you that pick 11 is overs but when you are desperate to fill a hole on your list you'll tend to pay overs (unless you are Rodney Eade and can work trade week like a charm).

Mitch Robinson could also play an inside role next year - from a Carlton perspective, I think pick 11 should have been used to invest in a key forward, as the cupboard is bare after Fevola.

They'll be praying that Warnock comes on next year, so Kreuzer can go forward.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 09:36 PM
What does this mean for Everitt will this mean that Carlton are of the race for him because i doubt we would trade him for a 2nd round pick

GVGjr
23-09-2009, 09:37 PM

We were actually better than the Saints last year and pretty damn close this year but couldn't get as much out of him.

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Any way we could deal with Melbourne which sees picks 15 & 11 swapped? Would this interest us & if so, what would be required to get the Dees to come to the party?

Popcorn Chicken
23-09-2009, 09:50 PM
What does this mean for Everitt will this mean that Carlton are of the race for him because i doubt we would trade him for a 2nd round pick

Has to be worth atleast a Late first round pick

comrade
23-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Any way we could deal with Melbourne which sees picks 15 & 11 swapped? Would this interest us & if so, what would be required to get the Dees to come to the party?

Throw Cam Wight in?

Officially announcing he'll be delisted probably won't help our chances.

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Throw Cam Wight in?

Officially announcing he'll be delisted probably won't help our chances.

I guess moving up or down 4 places isn't alot, particularly later on in the draft, but you would be disappointed if someone you eyed off went at 11, 12, 13 or 14 when you have pick 15.

comrade
23-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess moving up or down 4 places isn't alot, particularly later on in the draft, but you would be disappointed if someone you eyed off went at 11, 12, 13 or 14 when you have pick 15.

What about our first pick, second pick and Everitt for Melbourne's pick 11 and pick 18?

Mantis
23-09-2009, 10:12 PM
We were actually better than the Saints last year and pretty damn close this year but couldn't get as much out of him.

Their game style and Farren's role has made his transistion into his new team a success. He still struggles in open play when he has to decide on the correct option and has made a habit of transferring the ball sideways to an open target rather than take a risk.

Cyberdoggie
23-09-2009, 10:13 PM

I agree, I still don't rate him.

He got the panic's a few times on friday.

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 10:27 PM
What about our first pick, second pick and Everitt for Melbourne's pick 11 and pick 18?

Seems about the right weight to me, well almost.

Melbourne get Everitt, 15 & 31.
We get 11 & 18.

Melbourne move back cumulatively 15 picks & get Everitt.

May need to move that pick 31 up to mid 20's so Sydney may come into play over the Hall deal.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Did he really have to pick Carlton?

If he's as slow, injury prone and doesn't improve his skills from the last two years - Melbourne would be pretty happy with this trade IMO.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 01:24 AM
If he's as slow, injury prone and doesn't improve his skills from the last two years - Melbourne would be pretty happy with this trade IMO.

Yep Melbourne would be happy ending up with 1,2,11,18 in the last draft before the GC/WS era :eek:

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Big name players are walking left, right and centre and it'll only get worse next year with GC dollars up for grabs.

Our head honchos have their work cut out securing our stars over the next 12 months.

For a few years now the trade week hasn't lived up to expectations but based on a number of the rumors going around at the moment this one shapes as a busy week with some big names.

dog town
24-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Not real sure what Carlton are up to here. They need a number of other things besides an inside midfielder. I am pretty sure I recall reading an article that indicated McLean had some sort of family link with the Morans and we all know they have been/were heavily involved with Carlton over the years.

Topdog
24-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Their game style and Farren's role has made his transistion into his new team a success. He still struggles in open play when he has to decide on the correct option and has made a habit of transferring the ball sideways to an open target rather than take a risk.

I'd agree with this. I have watched Farren very closely this year and he has 100% been instructed to go sideways and give the ball off to Goddard, Gram or Fisher. The one thing which has has improved on is someone has finally been able to drill into him that his left foot kicks are absolutely horrible and to stop using it.

He has done better at the Saints but when th eblow torch was applied last week he was crap. He also played poorly against the Swans when the pressure was up.

Desipura
24-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Hasn't Stevens got another year on his contract ?
By the way, Ray was drafted pick 4 the same year that McLean (5) was and we got bugger all for him last year and now McLean is getting the Demons pick 11.
Stevens has retired due to his neck injury.
Whilst we did not get as high a pick for Ray that Melbourne got for McLean, its hard to compare last years draft which went deeper in terms of talent (we did get Roughead afterall, some even rated him a potential 1st rounder at the time)

This years draft is pretty shallow by all reports there are only about half a dozen standouts then it drops away.
If it was a strong draft, I do not believe clubs would be as active as they will be in the next fortnight. Also if it was a strong draft, there is no wayclubs would depart with their 1st and 2nd round picks as being mooted given it is the last umcompromised draft.

Mofra
24-09-2009, 11:33 AM
He must be spewing he spent $25,000 on trying to eliminate debt with the club.

Mofra
24-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Yep Melbourne would be happy ending up with 1,2,11,18 in the last draft before the GC/WS era :eek:
They need to get picks like that - it's not like they have 3 father/sons in the next 2 years with which to avoid the lean pickings in the draft like a certrain lucky red, white & blue club :D

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Stevens has retired due to his neck injury.
Whilst we did not get as high a pick for Ray that Melbourne got for McLean, its hard to compare last years draft which went deeper in terms of talent (we did get Roughead afterall, some even rated him a potential 1st rounder at the time)

This years draft is pretty shallow by all reports there are only about half a dozen standouts then it drops away.
If it was a strong draft, I do not believe clubs would be as active as they will be in the next fortnight. Also if it was a strong draft, there is no wayclubs would depart with their 1st and 2nd round picks as being mooted given it is the last umcompromised draft.

You make a great point about Roughie i reckon we on to a winner with him so we should all take a deep breath and wait for the fruit to come from that trade!!;)

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 12:31 PM
You make a great point about Roughie i reckon we on to a winner with him so we should all take a deep breath and wait for the fruit to come from that trade!!;)

Really, the Farren Ray trade netted us Liam Jones. We had consecutive picks in which we took Jordan Roughead & Liam Jones in that order.
Roughead was always going to be the one we were taking with that selection, the additional one allowed us to take Liam Jones.

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Really, the Farren Ray trade netted us Liam Jones. We had consecutive picks in which we took Jordan Roughead & Liam Jones in that order.
Roughead was always going to be the one we were taking with that selection, the additional one allowed us to take Liam Jones.

Yeah i believe we were looking at Tommy Lee [who ended up at the Crows?], but with Roughead falling through, we jumped at the chance of picking him up, leaving Jones as our next option, Lee would have been 3rd cab.

AndrewP6
24-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah i believe we were looking at Tommy Lee [who ended up at the Crows?]

Didn't he marry Pamela Anderson? ;)

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Didn't he marry Pamela Anderson? ;)

and make a video of some sorts!........apparently! ;)

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2009, 11:42 PM

I wouldn't be averse to considering Sylvia - he is a player in his prime, a ridiculously powerful athlete, who seemed this year to put it together off the field as well as on it.

He's normally a high half forward with Melbourne, whilst I'm not completely sure where we'd play him, or how he would fit into our forward mix, hed be certainly make us quicker and more talented.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't be averse to considering Sylvia

Too late!

Melbourne have re-signed tough midfielder Colin Sylvia and exciting small forward Austin Wonaeamirri to new two-year contracts.

Remi Moses
25-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Brock mclean has gone backwards the last few years. he looks unfit and slow and with questionable disposal,a coup for melbourne. Loading up with young talent is good thinking from the Dees. The only problem is I reckon Bailey wont be around to see the fruits of his drafting

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2009, 09:34 AM

This is the point that we should be focusing on, and a positive spin cannot and should not be put on it:

Ray leaves for very little compensation (a slightly earlier draft selection) and has his best year by a mile.

We all knew Ray had weaknesses but the St Kilda coaching staff have been able to get much more out of him.

anfo27
25-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Brock is a classic example of his reputation far out weighing his production thus far. He certainly gives them some grunt but not much else. Thats a big price to pay for grunt particularly when its not your biggest problem.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:33 PM
This is the point that we should be focusing on, and a positive spin cannot and should not be put on it:

Ray leaves for very little compensation (a slightly earlier draft selection) and has his best year by a mile.

We all knew Ray had weaknesses but the St Kilda coaching staff have been able to get much more out of him.

Liam Jones should be given this little post - so he can stick it up on his locker for motivation :D

mighty_west
25-09-2009, 01:11 PM

I am still of the opinion that had he stayed, he would still be struggling at our club, he has played well this year no doubt, but in reality, he is only a link player, and the less time he has with the ball in hand, and just quickly pass it off to more attacking or creative players, the better off he is.

The Saints have been super all season, they way they have zoned, and having that tight game style can make players look better than what they actually are, put Ray in Richmonds side, and he'd almost be delisted now, which is probably why they were linked with Jordy McMahon a few weeks back, put him in the Saints line up, and he adds an extra dimension to their midfield with his run, but at Richmond, he looks like a spud.

Had we kept Ray, we most likely have Liam Jones & Tom Lee on our list, and not Roughead & Jones, and me personally MUCH rather young Roughead on our list than Farren Ray.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Had we kept Ray, we most likely have Liam Jones & Tom Lee on our list, and not Roughead & Jones, and me personally MUCH rather young Roughead on our list than Farren Ray.

My understanding was that if Roughead was available we were always going to take him. We got an upgraded pick to select Liam Jones, but he may have been available with our later pick - we cant know that

I'm hopeful that Jones and Roughy develop into guns, but

The issue is that we took a #4 draft pick, invested 5 years in developing the player, who we then trade for a small upgrade at the draft table. The player Ray then produces a career year at another club.

For me, thats not a great result, and it doesn't matter what spin the coach or club put on it

mighty_west
25-09-2009, 03:46 PM
My understanding was that if Roughead was available we were always going to take him. We got an upgraded pick to select Liam Jones, but he may have been available with our later pick - we cant know that

I'm hopeful that Jones and Roughy develop into guns, but

The issue is that we took a #4 draft pick, invested 5 years in developing the player, who we then trade for a small upgrade at the draft table. The player Ray then produces a career year at another club.

For me, thats not a great result, and it doesn't matter what spin the coach or club put on it

Yeah, i know it can be frustrating having players not work out, especially the high draft picks, Walsh [4], Power [10], McMahon [10], Ray [4], but the reality is, once they step foot inside a club, a number is irrelevant really, it's what you make of your opportunities, and yes, Ray has had a good season at the Saints, but, i still would have seen players like Reid, even Wood ahead of him, alot of players from all clubs every year have players not live up to expectations for various reasons after being selected high up, it's just part of the game, Sam Power was seen as a very exciting & talented junior, yet struggled to live up to expectations, Farren Ray was getting 20-30 plus possessions in struggling W.A & Peel Thunder sides, yet, struggled to find his feet at our club, we have alot of mids ahead of him.

Even if we still had Farren on our list, and we played him down back, would that have stopped us trying out Harbrow down back? and right now, who would you rather playing from defence in our team, Ray or Harbrow?

For mine, Harbrow has had a far superior season than Farren, Ray was a top 4 pick, Harbrow missed the draft altogether and taken as a rookie! I am just as frustrated for a Farren playing well at another club, than say someone drafted high up like Jesse Wells or Cam Faulkner not making it altogether!

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2009, 04:08 PM
How can anyone complain about our drafting when you pick up guys like Morris, Harbrow and Picken on the rookie list?

So some of our early picks were flops. Big deal, that's drafting, all teams have their 1st round misses.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 04:47 PM
How can anyone complain about our drafting when you pick up guys like Morris, Harbrow and Picken on the rookie list?

So some of our early picks were flops. Big deal, that's drafting, all teams have their 1st round misses.

Drafting and subsequent delisting of Kmac, Cam Faulkner, Dmac, Jesse Wells and Tim Walsh and "mature" age drafting of Daniel Bandy, Adam Morgan, Stephen Koops, Scotty Basset and*cough* Jade Rawlings has kind of taken the shine off the rookie list elevations:(

Sedat
25-09-2009, 05:07 PM
all teams have their 1st round misses.
Agreed, but we've probably got more misses than most other clubs since the turn of the decade. File McMahon, Power, Walsh and Ray under the 'misses' file, and Williams, Everitt, Cordy and J Grant under the 'in question/too early to call' file. Cooney, Griffen and Higgins are the only bonafide success stories from our 1st round selections since 2000 - by contrast a team like Hawthorn has 3 successful 1st round selections in the 2004 draft alone (Roughead, Franklin, Lewis).

We've been the best in the business at unearthing pure gold at the back end of the draft/ rookie draft - thank Christ we've been able to. It's not a stretch to suggest that had we nailed two of our three 1st round selections between 2000-2002, we probably would have already celebrated a premiership.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Clearly we've had some great rookie draft picks

But I guess the questions with our first rounders is

a) Are we picking the right players?

b) Are we developing them as well as we could?

Now we have a new recruiting chief in Simon Dalrymple, but I would have thought these were essential questions for the club in its quest to improve on 3rd place

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Agreed, but we've probably got more misses than most other clubs since the turn of the decade. File McMahon, Power, Walsh and Ray under the 'misses' file, and Williams, Everitt, Cordy and J Grant under the 'in question/too early to call' file. Cooney, Griffen and Higgins are the only bonafide success stories from our 1st round selections since 2000 - by contrast a team like Hawthorn has 3 successful 1st round selections in the 2004 draft alone (Roughead, Franklin, Lewis).

We've been the best in the business at unearthing pure gold at the back end of the draft/ rookie draft - thank Christ we've been able to. It's not a stretch to suggest that had we nailed two of our three 1st round selections between 2000-2002, we probably would have already celebrated a premiership.

Mitch Thorp, Luke Brennan, Daniel Elstone, Nathan Turvey, Michael Collica, Nick Ries and Harry Miller were all either 1st rounders or early 2nd rounders after they traded their 1st rounders away.

Every club has misses on early picks.

Sedat
25-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Mitch Thorp, Luke Brennan, Daniel Elstone, Nathan Turvey, Michael Collica, Nick Ries and Harry Miller were all either 1st rounders or early 2nd rounders after they traded their 1st rounders away.
Moving the goal posts - I could have included Jesse Wells and Cam Faulkner in my list :D

mighty_west
25-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I reckon we stack up pretty well compared to most clubs, and it's not just the high picks, tthe 4th rounders, the rookies etc, and like you mentioned with our success with rookies [Morris, Picken, Boyd, Harbrow], given our situation before the AFL evened up things somewhat for clubs like ourselves, we would only have what, 1 or 2 rookies? We have done extremely well considering.

If we just look at our first rounders:
Robert Murphy - still playing and has been a very good player
Jordon McMahon - still playing [for another club] was servicable at our club
Sam Power - was still playing, might get another shot - played 70 something games at our club
Tim Walsh - didn't work out, but injuries played a major part [fail]
Adam Cooney - DexterT wanted to delist him 2 years ago:D [sorry Dex]
Farren Ray - still playing
Ryan Griffen - he's doing alright;)
Tom Williams - bar injury, will be our CHF for the next 8 seasons
Shaun Higgins - he's goes alright
Andrejs Everitt - we see the talent, but we might just be a bit to frustrated, i have no doubt he will be a very good player
Jarrad Grant - way too early to call
Ayce Cordy - way way way way too early to call

So going by that, i reckon we have done ok with the first rounders, only really one fail, 3 have been ok, but traded and still playing.

mighty_west
25-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Drafting and subsequent delisting of Kmac, Cam Faulkner, Dmac, Jesse Wells and Tim Walsh and "mature" age drafting of Daniel Bandy, Adam Morgan, Stephen Koops, Scotty Basset and*cough* Jade Rawlings has kind of taken the shine off the rookie list elevations:(

Apart from Bandy [who was servicable at our club], all of those other matures are from "cheap as chips", the very creative work from Peter Rhode & Stephen Newport, the less we talk about those names the better.

KMac was a 3rd or 4th rounder, so what?
Cam Faulkner was pick 18, had the talent, we all saw that, but just couldn't produce on a consistant level, he was one i really hoped would make it.
Dmac also had talent, but was just a bit slow, was also apparently a gun junior, he was taken around pick 28/29?
Jesse Wells - what Clayton saw in him i'll never know, EPIC FAIL.

There are so many other players we have drafted that didn't work for various reasons, yet so many have worked, it's part of the game, not too sure why a few that didn't make it would take shine off any rookies, a very bizarre call, from a VERY bizarre individual!:D

Topdog
25-09-2009, 07:36 PM

You forgot Beau Dowler at pick 6.

Williams is good but injury prone and Everitt will be a very good player. If he doesn't do it at our club that is purely down to Rocket (differences in attitude) but he will be a very good player.

Really as long as we don't get pick 4 or 10 we are fine.

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Moving the goal posts - I could have included Jesse Wells and Cam Faulkner in my list :D

I only included their 2nd rounders in the years when they traded their 1st picks away.

AndrewP6
25-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I reckon we stack up pretty well compared to most clubs, and it's not just the high picks, tthe 4th rounders, the rookies etc, and like you mentioned with our success with rookies [Morris, Picken, Boyd, Harbrow], given our situation before the AFL evened up things somewhat for clubs like ourselves, we would only have what, 1 or 2 rookies? We have done extremely well considering.

If we just look at our first rounders:
Jordon McMahon - still playing [for another club] was servicable at our club
Sam Power - was still playing, might get another shot - played 70 something games at our club
Farren Ray - still playing
Tom Williams - bar injury, will be our CHF for the next 8 seasons

So going by that, i reckon we have done ok with the first rounders, only really one fail, 3 have been ok, but traded and still playing.

Don't think we can say we've done OK with players that wouldn't stay...not interested in a player playing well/reasonably well for another club... jury's out on Williams, IMO. I was really keen at the start of this year, but the guy just can't stay fit. I hope he proves me wrong.

mighty_west
25-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Don't think we can say we've done OK with players that wouldn't stay...not interested in a player playing well/reasonably well for another club... jury's out on Williams, IMO. I was really keen at the start of this year, but the guy just can't stay fit. I hope he proves me wrong.

The point i was getting at, was that those players at least showed something, and are still in the system, compared to ALOT of other clubs having quite a few first round picks that didn't even crack 10 games in the AFL what so ever.

Alot of people seemed to bag Clayton, for the high end draft picks that "he got wrong", yet fail to recognise the players he did strike with later on in the draft, and if you compared the top pics from other clubs, he stacks up pretty well.

AndrewP6
25-09-2009, 11:04 PM
The point i was getting at, was that those players at least showed something, and are still in the system, compared to ALOT of other clubs having quite a few first round picks that didn't even crack 10 games in the AFL what so ever.

Fair enough...

Doc26
26-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Could be a lot worse. Terry could've left us in the state that he left Richmond with after 5 years. Just go through their trade failures. McMahon for Ward must've been an insightful apology to us.