PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Player

Popcorn Chicken
23-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Just wondering who your favourite player is would like find out who is the most popular player at the club is for mine
Dylan Addison

comrade
23-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Bryza.

If he left, footy would lose it's magic for me.

I love me some Aker, too.

And Boumann.

BulldogBelle
23-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Barry Hall.

Do I win?

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Check my username :D

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Lindsay Gilbee

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:04 PM
For me it's Higgins. Will win the brownlow one day (polled alright this year as well). I also like Boumann despite only seeing him play for the first time in Willies loss in the semi's the other week

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I still have a soft spot for Gia.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:10 PM
WILL MINSON BY A MILE, i also like Malcolm Lynch....I like em all really....although not a huge fan of Gias....

The Pie Man
23-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Bob Murphy for me, combo of sublime football (when fit) bravery to play on that knee and still contribute, and being pretty cool (how lame does that sound tee-hee)

Gilbee a close second - I reckon I'm going to end up absolutely loving Jarrod Harbrow soon, he had a ridiculously good year and has a long time left in the game

Throughout the years I've loved Simon Beasley, Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Mark West (until that miss) and awfully, Nathan Brown was easy my favourite player late 90's/early naughty's

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I reckon I'm going to end up absolutely loving Jarrod Harbrow soon, he had a ridiculously good year and has a long time left in the game

Your right there, i think i may be bringing back my number 40(was for Shane Birss) jumper next year.....

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I reckon I'm going to end up absolutely loving Jarrod Harbrow soon, he had a ridiculously good year and has a long time left in the game

I never had a favourite after Bubba left, but that all changed last year.

After i seen Harbrow perform well in the finals, i knew i had a new favourite to watch.

The Pie Man
23-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I never had a favourite after Bubba left, but that all changed last year.

After i seen Harbrow perform well in the finals, i knew i had a new favourite to watch.

2 finals seris in a row he's contributed.

And this after I panned him (well less him and more the idea) after Betts kicked goals on him round 5 this year. Glad I aint coach :D

BulldogBelle
23-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Johnno.

lemmon
23-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Im not sure why but Ive always loved Skinny Everitt

AndrewP6
23-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Johnno... when he finishes, COOOOOOOOONEY will take over I think... don't dislike any of them though... was never a big Hargrave fan until I started going to the games...

Aker - for star quality and magic-ness....

Murph - for being a great player and good bloke...

Any Bulldog player who kicks the winning score in our next GF (Or PF, for that matter!)

wimberga
23-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I used to say Shaggy and i still really like him, but got to say Cal Ward and the #14 take that mantle right now. What a talent

1eyedog
23-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Cross, Griffen and Hudson. I love it how Huddo gives the opposition heaps out on the ground.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Am also a big fan of Callan Ward

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I love Addison, Lake, Ward and Higgins.
Also Griffen. And Harbrow. And Hargrave. (Ok, i'm going to stop otherwise i'll end up naming the whole team).

hujsh
23-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Who ever is BOG for us is my favourite player

Max469
23-09-2009, 11:10 PM
1. Murphy
2. Gia
3. Harbrow

But there will only be one CHRIS GRANT, GEOFF JENNINGS & NEIL CORDY :)

Dazza
23-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Uhhh I have so many favourites I'd end up naming the whole side. In saying that I get excited whenever big Minson takes a big grab and kicks a goal or does something nice with the football (anyone notice his kicking into the f50 is actually very good?)

I like all the hard at it young players. Ward, Picken, Harbrow etc

It would have to be Minson though because I can't seem to get mad when he stuffs something up.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Has been Johnno for a long time but for much of the season Aker took the mantle for his game breaking then Johnno took it back on Friday night.
They way Ward is going he will take the mantle soon.
But... I would love to see Will rip one of Fev's arms off then he would be #1

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 12:16 AM
so hard to name just one!

at the start of the year it would have been murph, but now it has to be callan ward.
and i love watching gia, especially when stretching....oh yeah back to footy.

past players?
huge fan of westy, also had a huge soft spot for matty robbins!

favourite bulldog of all time? DANNY SOUTHERN!

Rocco Jones
24-09-2009, 12:22 AM
My favourite player to watch: Aker
My favourite player to worship: Brennan Stack
My favourite player in terms of who I would like as a friend: Bobby

But my favourite, favourite player now is Barry Hall. Unless he somehow doesn't end up at the Dogs and then he will be very meh to me.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Griffen ever since he danced around Ablett in his first year.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 10:42 AM
so hard to name just one!

at the start of the year it would have been murph, but now it has to be callan ward.
and i love watching gia, especially when stretching....oh yeah back to footy.

past players?
huge fan of westy, also had a huge soft spot for matty robbins!

favourite bulldog of all time? DANNY SOUTHERN!

Don't you mean DANIEL Southern? He never liked being called Danny. ;)

My favourite is Brad Johnson. :D

My ALL TIME favourite is Peter Foster. :D

BornInDroopSt'54
24-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Don't you mean DANIEL Southern? He never liked being called Danny. ;)

My favourite is Brad Johnson. :D

My ALL TIME favourite is Peter Foster. :D

Remember the mark of the year that Dennis Banks took, flying high and turning sideways as he took it because Foster somehow managed to give him a bump that sent him flying? I met Paul Deer once and brought up the leg breaking trip and he didn't seem sorry or accept responsibility, just dismissed it as an accidental trip! He's a very big unit, considerable cubic metrage, so I didn't argue, I didn't want my legs broken.

Ozza
24-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I feel like I want to say Chris Grant - but its probably time I let that go!

Brad Johnson would be my favourite - with Bob Murphy closely behind and Coons - and I'm a Gia fan - possibly because he gets bagged a bit and I reckon he is a terrific player.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Remember the mark of the year that Dennis Banks took, flying high and turning sideways as he took it because Foster somehow managed to give him a bump that sent him flying? I met Paul Deer once and brought up the leg breaking trip and he didn't seem sorry or accept responsibility, just dismissed it as an accidental trip! He's a very big unit, considerable cubic metrage, so I didn't argue, I didn't want my legs broken.

Grrrrrrrr........ that "trip" ended Fossie's career. :mad:

My favorite Fossie memory is when he kicked that point against Essendon at the Western Oval & the goal umpire (whose name was Norm Foster!!) paid it a goal. I loved it when Fossie went up to shake his hand. :D

EasternWest
24-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Check my username. And Tiller.

dadsgirl16
24-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I luv em all but especiallyGriff,and the old lady crush I have on Callan Ward

Desipura
24-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I like Gia and Ward cos they are cute

bornadog
24-09-2009, 01:01 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Higgins_prelim08_246a.jpg

BornInDroopSt'54
24-09-2009, 01:18 PM

My favorite Fossie memory is when he kicked that point against Essendon at the Western Oval & the goal umpire (whose name was Norm Foster!!) paid it a goal. I loved it when Fossie went up to shake his hand. :D

Yeh that was a gem...Still doesn't make up for the reverse happening to Libba in the dreaded '97 prelim...Timing is everything.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Dan's the Man.

Daniel Cross, gives everything, lives and breathes footy. Makes the most of his talent.

Dale Morris, Mr Reliable, very smart player. Also gives his all.

Shaun Higgins, player I most love to watch, Shaun has got the lot.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd - from VFL to Rookies to All Australian.

They worked their butts off to get to the elite level

OLD SCRAGGer
24-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd - from VFL to Rookies to All Australian.

They worked their butts off to get to the elite level

Gotta agree. but for mine, Dale is just a shade in front

bulldogsman
24-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Liam Jones because I played against him and really impressed me. But I haven't seen him play in 3 years (other then youtube), so I really can't wait for next season.

I've always loved Mitch Hahn's work though.

neodog
24-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Big Bad Bustling Beautiful Bulldog Barry

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2009, 03:10 PM

And cost us a premiership!

Brownless wouldn't have kicked those bags on Fossie.

Remi Moses
24-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Love yous all

strebla
24-09-2009, 05:23 PM

The goal umpires name was Craig Clark he was later to coach cricket at Yarra Baps (Altona Roosters)
My all time fave is the Hawk but i like all good westie boys at the moment it is Cal Ward!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Love because he's the best and no one can hate him: Johnno
Love because he's cool and walks to the beat of a different drum: Aker
Love because he's nuts and doesn't know what 'no' means: DFA
Love for no good reason except that I think he deserves a go: GO'K
Love because he doesn't take any crap from anybody: Huddo
Love because he's the best, hardest, fittest first-year player I've ever seen: Liam Picken
Love because he's going to be the best midfielder of his generation: Ward

Love because he's coming and will make everyone stand taller: Bazza

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 05:51 PM
All time : Chris Grant

current : Adam Cooney

next season : Big Bad! [might even ditch the seat and change ends each quarter] :cool:

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 05:58 PM
The goal umpires name was Craig Clark he was later to coach cricket at Yarra Baps (Altona Roosters)
My all time fave is the Hawk but i like all good westie boys at the moment it is Cal Ward!!

Really? I remember Fossie saying "Uncle Norm", maybe he was having a joke with everyone. So I'm responsible for an untrue rumour? :eek:

strebla
24-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Really? I remember Fossie saying "Uncle Norm", maybe he was having a joke with everyone. So I'm responsible for an untrue rumour? :eek:

No definately Clarkie and didn't I always let him know:p

jazzadogs
24-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Callan Ward. He just makes me happy when I watch him play.

Others to have graced the "Favourite Player" mantle include Judas, Hargrave, Griffen and Minson.

Johnno and West are the two which I have maintained a whole lotta love for. Johnson is a champion.

anfo27
24-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Mitch Hahn & Missy Higgins, but Callan Ward is not far behind.

I know there are a lot of Huddo fans out there but I have never been a fan of the bearded one.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Mitch Hahn & Missy Higgins, but Callan Ward is not far behind.

I know there are a lot of Huddo fans out there but I have never been a fan of the bearded one.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Wow really?

Ive been a fan of Huddos since his days at the Werribee Footy Club....

anfo27
24-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Wow really?

Ive been a fan of Huddos since his days at the Werribee Footy Club....

Yeah i know 99% of woofers love him.

I think he has improved our ruck division thats obvious & wasn't hard considering he was replacing Street. Love the fact he always gives everything & has great 2nd efforts at the bounces. Just think other than that he is useless, does nothing around the ground, too slow (although he did chase down a cat in the 1st final) & can't kick. Also find when we come against smart ruckmen when Huddo is contesting in the middle the other bloke will get himself in dangerous positions.

I can't wait for the woofers to can me for this, they will probably want me out of this forum.

boydogs
24-09-2009, 09:01 PM

I think he has improved our ruck division thats obvious & wasn't hard considering he was replacing Street. Love the fact he always gives everything & has great 2nd efforts at the bounces. Just think other than that he is useless, does nothing around the ground, too slow (although he did chase down a cat in the 1st final) & can't kick. Also find when we come against smart ruckmen when Huddo is contesting in the middle the other bloke will get himself in dangerous positions.

I can't wait for the woofers to can me for this, they will probably want me out of this forum.

Objection, relevance! :p;)

Love it when Lake outmarks big name forwards and Griff evades big name midfielders

1eyedog
24-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Not really you are pretty close to the mark, although you only just breezed over the bit where you said he has great 2nd efforts. This is so important in a tight contest and you are either born with it or not. It is a rarer trait than you think and Huddo's 2nd efforts are the equal of two inside midfielders contesting possession. He's a rough diamond.

Doc26
24-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Doug and Libba would be my all time faves although Johnno, Granty, Beazer and Scotty Wynd also run very close.

Bit left of centre but also used to love Mickey McKenna and was shattered when he was delisted.

Of the current crop, Boydy and Dale with Callan Ward well on the way

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Doug and Libba would be my all time faves although Johnno, Granty, Beazer and Scotty Wynd also run very close.

Bit left of centre but also used to love Mickey McKenna and was shattered when he was delisted.

Of the current crop, Boydy and Dale with Callan Ward well on the way

If you've got a spare half hour one day, ask Twodogs about a free kick paid against him in Sydney! :D

Desipura
25-09-2009, 09:20 AM
If you've got a spare half hour one day, ask Twodogs about a free kick paid against him in Sydney! :D
What am I missing here?:confused:

Twodogs
25-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I read an article about Nathan Eagleton's heart murmer and how he collapsed at AAMI during a centre bounce. In the article it says that when Eagle fainted he was standing on the wing waiting for the umpire to bounce the ball. He fell unconscious over the line and the umpire payed a free against him for Port having too many players in the centre square at the bounce. The article said it was the only time an unconscious player had a free kick paid against him in AFL history.

I CAN TELL YOU IT ISNT! In 1982 or 1983 at the SCG I saw Micky McKenna get knocked out and have his jaw broken by a punch in the face and while he lay unconscious on the ground the Swans player picked him up and shook him until the ball fell out of his hands wherupon the umpire pinged him for holding the ball.

Doc26
25-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I CAN TELL YOU IT ISNT! In 1982 or 1983 at the SCG I saw Micky McKenna get knocked out and have his jaw broken by a punch in the face and while he lay unconscious on the ground the Swans player picked him up and shook him until the ball fell out of his hands wherupon the umpire pinged him for holding the ball.

I'm trying hard to remember that one but strangely is not registering. Was likely at the match too. Can only imagine that being against the Swans in the early Sydney days that it was just another rogue decision par for the course. Can you recall the Swans player ? Coon Dog - Would be a top interview get if you could work your magic ?

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 01:10 PM
With the news today, isn't it odd that when you trawl through the thread here, Lakey's name barely pops up despite him being the best full-back we've had in a long time, an all-Australian and B&F winner? We're more savvy than we realise, you know -- we've always known Bryza didn't have his heart 100% in the place.

Twodogs
25-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm trying hard to remember that one but strangely is not registering. Was likely at the match too. Can only imagine that being against the Swans in the early Sydney days that it was just another rogue decision par for the course. Can you recall the Swans player ? Coon Dog - Would be a top interview get if you could work your magic ?

From memory it was in the forward pocket in front of where the hill used to be.

Twodogs
25-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Nope-it's your opinion, it doesnt matter whether you are right or wrong, you've still got every right to express it.

I will however refer you to his lead, mark and kick that scored our first goal against Geelong in this year's final. Not bad for a bloke who cant kick!;)

EasternWest
25-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Nope-it's your opinion, it doesnt matter whether you are right or wrong, you've still got every right to express it.

I will however refer you to his lead, mark and kick that scored our first goal against Geelong in this year's final. Not bad for a bloke who cant kick!;)

I don't believe Huddo took the mark, I think he was awarded a free because Scarlett was surprisingly holding him.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't believe Huddo took the mark, I think he was awarded a free because Scarlett was surprisingly holding him.
Rule No1 on WOOF:

When Twodogs posts, don't let facts get in the way of a good story! ;)

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Rule No1 on WOOF:

Yeah, I heard Huddo also did a cartwheel after his lead, mark & goal. ;)

EasternWest
25-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Rule No1 on WOOF:

Heh heh heh lesson learnt. Consider myself duly chastised.

Desipura
25-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Rule No1 on WOOF:

so do we take the Micky McKenna story with a grain of salt?

micka bulldog
25-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Got to be Johno!

Also Brain Lake (hope he resign's)

hujsh
25-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Got to be Johno!

Also Brain Lake (hope he resign's)

You really should make that re-sign ;)

boomering
26-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Has to be Johnno the heart and soul of the place for a long time. Would love to see him win a Premiership before he retires.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Just wanted to mention some early favourites of mine seeing as they haven't popped up on this thread yet!!

My first favourite was Andrew Purser. He was really nice, I was just a kid then. Always had time for a photo with me & a chat with my parents. :)

Then it was Michael McLean - I had "Michael 51 McLean" on the back of my duffel coat!! :cool:

Then the love of my Bulldogs life - Peter Foster. Then Daniel Southern and now Brad Johnson. :D

Doc26
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Had Simon 18 Beasley on my old duffle coat and some smaller more left field ones like Stevie Lunn and Ian Williams. Sure I also had Jim Edmond, Doug's and Jim Sewell's numbers there as well.

Well past my duffle coat days but was also a big fan of Steve Kretiuk (Loved watching him stitch up Buckley) and Matthew Croft.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
It's Higgins for me. He'd have the most raw skill and best football mind since the Hawk!
He knows his angles and what pace to play each possession.

Shame to the person that ripped Hudson! Huddo is a champ! He has heart, you can't teach heart.
I also love it when Cooney gets his sideways dancing shoes on (my 2yo even runs around the house saying "Cooooooneeeeey!").
I have to say It's awesome watching Hahn when the ball hits the deck in the Fwd line, he'll barrel two or more opposition and get the ball to his foot (just not enough go through though).