PDA

View Full Version : It's OFFICIAL - Barry Hall - Bulldogs Website Announcement

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/85252/default.aspx

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/85252/default.aspx

Woot!

bulldogtragic
24-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Big Bad Bustling Barry Bulldog

BBBBB

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeaaaahhhh! I like some mongrel!

neodog
24-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Big Bad Beautiful Bustling Bulldog Barry - The B7 Unit

bulldogtragic
24-09-2009, 03:13 PM
What do you think Barry's signature would mean for the level of (increased) membership? Would you think there is any significance?

G-Mo77
24-09-2009, 03:23 PM
What do you think Barry's signature would mean for the level of (increased) membership? Would you think there is any significance?

I think there would have been a small rise anyway but with Hall on board I really think that we'll see a decent spike in membership sales.

neodog
24-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Its going to be like the affect of Ben Cousin joining the Tiger. The pre-season hype will be enormous and the Team with Big Bad Beautiful Bustling Bulldog Barry delivering ( ie. kick a few goals in the opening few rounds and the Team winning to be thereabouts as contenders). I expect us to crack the magical 30k.

I will do everything to join next year for the first time ever!!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I think there would have been a small rise anyway but with Hall on board I really think that we'll see a decent spike in membership sales.

After making the prelim last year our membership figures didn't improve though.. I'm guessing we will stay at the 28k mark.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 03:27 PM
As much as it would be nice to see an increase in memberships as a result, it would shit me up the wall no end in a way, to be honest!

Why wait until, x, y or z happens before you join up?

Why wait until we sign player x, y, or z before you join up?

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but it does get frustrating.

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 03:30 PM
As much as it would be nice to see an increase in memberships as a result, it would shit me up the wall no end in a way, to be honest!

Why wait until, x, y or z happens before you join up?

Why wait until we sign player x, y, or z before you join up?

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but it does get frustrating.

Just the way of the world unfortunatly, just like people drop off when the teams not performing, and jumping back on when they start moving on up, many many people are just not as committed as most of us here.

Mantis
24-09-2009, 03:32 PM

I have heard reports that some members have been ringing the club to inform them of their displeasure at signing Barry and letting them know that they will no longer be members if we recruit Hall.

I think it's a little petty... If I can take 10 years of Eagleton and still sign up every year they can take a couple of years of Hall. :)

bulldogtragic
24-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I have heard reports that some members have been ringing the club to inform them of their displeasure at signing Barry and letting them know that they will no longer be members if we recruit Hall.

I think it's a little petty... If I can take 10 years of Eagleton and still sign up every year they can take a couple of years of Hall. :)
Ha ha ha. Nice call.

But what fair weather people would cancel their memberships over a decision to recruit somebody. A repeat offender druggie was a hero and a guy who is overcoming aggression issues is the devil... When he starts kicking goals and the excitement is at fever pitch, they wil miss out not us.

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 03:37 PM

You can understand some people being a bit iffy regarding his temper on field, but not to re-sign up as members is pretty slack, however, those members can drop off, and i have no doubt we'll more than cover them with people jumping on board, and those that jumped, miss out on a chance to goto a GF.

Their loss!

bulldogtragic
24-09-2009, 03:38 PM
You can understand some people being a bit iffy regarding his temper on field, but not to re-sign up as members is pretty slack, however, those members can drop off, and i have no doubt we'll more than cover them with people jumping on board, and those that jumped, miss out on a chance to goto a GF.

Their loss!
Jinx.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 03:40 PM

I am tierd of members holding the club ransome for thier membership. The club is trying to win a flag and doing thing to get us there. It is not as if the board says at its meetings "Let's do this cause it will really tick off member 22341 and it will be really funny"

Mantis how do you feel when Eagle does something good during a game? Being his biggest fan and all is it kind of a hollow feeling?

aker39
24-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Mantis how do you feel when Eagle does something good during a game? Being his biggest fan and all is it kind of a hollow feeling?

Mantis missed IT when he was getting a beer out of the fridge in the Corporate Box.:p

Sedat
24-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Ready to saddle up for your 11th? Woof will run out of bandwidth just keeping up with 'The Bald Eagle' thread next year :)

Desipura
I have a another marketing idea for FDOTM............
Fake tattoo's of Big Bad Bustling Barry Bulldog.

neodog
I would love to hear the counter agurments to these members who complained about the recruitment of Big Bad Barry.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a another marketing idea for FDOTM............
Fake tattoo's of Big Bad Bustling Barry Bulldog.

Id love to see a BBBBB tshirt :cool:

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 03:54 PM
It would be a knock out thats for sure.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I would love to hear the counter agurments to these members who complained about the recruitment of Big Bad Barry.

At this stage...no thanks. He would need to display substantially more ticker and common sense before I would consider it.

No for mine
TCD I see your 10 and raise you to 20

1) He said he can't trust himself, not sure then how we are supposed to
2) He said he can't see himself playing at another club lining up against Sydney
3) He has priors at the tribunal that will guarantee long suspensions for any indiscretions
4) He is getting old in AFL terms thus not as athletic as in earlier years
5) His age means he is more susceptable to injury
6) Missing the last 8 games this season he may be injured coming back ala Cousins
7) He will probably replace Welsh
8) He will only be around for a year or two
9) In his limited time he may not be very effective, still adjusting to his environment and game plan ala Aker
10) He would take game time away from our developing forwards
11) An alternate player from the pick we use to get him will be lost
11) He could damage our clean reputation with continued indiscretions
12) Opposition players know he can be easily aggrevated and will be able to put him off his game and get him to give away frees & 50s and get suspended
13) He would take the media attention away from positives at the club
14) We don't need the speculation on getting him to distract us this year
15) We don't need the speculation on his behaviour to distract us next year
16) We don't want to send a message to the group that we need to take such a risk to be successful
17) He would receive even more media attention in Melbourne and would be distracted
18) Our forward line is currently working well as it is, we should not disrupt this for a single season
19) Eade's focus would be taken away from team success to managing Hall
20) He would be doing it to redeem himself and not for a premiership ala Pavlich

I voted no, for three reasons:

too old

Too Old

TOO OLD

The people arguing that we should sign him up are thinking with their hearts, not heads. Too much romanticism about him being a Dogs fan as a kid, coupled with this mythical notion that a flag can't be won without him, or someone like him. Never understimate just what being out of footy for a prolonged period can do to someone's body. He'll be 33 going on 34 next season, and will not play any serious football from last week to March 2010. That factor might be OK for someone like Cousins or someone physically in their prime, Hall is far from that. He will be slower, and it will take several weeks for him to adjust. And people want to introduce this element to a club that's already finding avenues to goal without a player like him, albeit with cameo's from Minson as a power-forward.

He also has one eye on football, one eye on an extremely lucrative boxing career. How can we place so much faith on a person whose not even 100% focussed on football? A player that has already achieved what our entire list is currently dreaming of achieving?

And all this doesn't take into account his volatility, and his propensity for lunacy. As has been shown in recent years when he is pushed mentally and when people get under his skin - he only knows how to react with thuggery. This would bring disharmony to an otherwise harmonious club.

An obvious 'No' vote from me.

I voted no, then read all the posts ... I still say no

I think we have done a lot of work over the last couple of years to construct a game that does not need a power lead-up forward. To take Hall now would undo all this effort and change our structure completely.

I voted no because I don't think we need him ... not this year or next

I picked no.

Basically because i'm not convinced he's the type of player that will compliment our side.
Sure he could be a good forward option, and we all want that romantic ideal of a tall forward in the side, however i just think it would be at the expense of the rest of the side.

To me it would change the way we move the ball forward, we might develop blinkers for BH when going forward, and when it doesn't work you can't hide him or move him into a different role. I don't think he'd like going to bench for a spell either.

mmmmm - I think no at this stage. We don't really need him. Plus if he himself says he can't guarantee another 'brain fade' then why would you even entertain the thought?
I'd hate for the Barry Hall 'ego' to drag us down, I really believe that the Western Bulldogs are a team of pretty good boys. I mean really, how often do you hear of a Doggies player getting into strife - footy related or not. (a-la Hall, Fevola etc....)
Apart from Wills little brain fade last year, for which he immediatley apologised for - that's really last thing I can think of that made any kind of news in the media.
If Barry joined it'd just pull the boys focus away from where they are supposed to be.

I fear that a big charismatic and demanding key forward may actually destroy our "mojo".
When the ball comes in from the midfield at the moment no one knows where it's going.
Higgins? Aker? Gia? Johnno? Murph? Will? Mich? etc etc.
Panic sets in because, as a defender, you don't know who to cover.
Our forward line is slippery, flexible and POTENT.

Will our mid fielders start ignoring all the other leads because big bad Barry Hall is screaming for the ball?
Will all our small forwards stop leading and start trying to crumb off him?
Will we be easier to stop?

Why do we want him?
To kick goals.
Everything else is bluff and romance.

BUT WE KICK ENOUGH GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can talk about having a "presence" in the forward line or a "tall target as an option".
But that might just make the midfielders lazy.
"bomb it long to Hall" mentality may sink in.
Plenty of teams with talented big key forwards have languished in mediocrity for years. Look at Richo and Fev.

I'll say another thing about Hall. He's never been a strong contested mark. Despite his reputation he's never been a Richo or a Carey outmarking mobs of defenders.
He's pretty much a lead up and kick straight type.
And he's not a finals performer. His last grand final was disgraceful. Almost unforgiveable and I reckon it was the start of his slide into frustration and rage. His hands were like concrete, perhaps a glimpse of his future use of them.
No Hall.

These were from half the thread about BBBBB with the poll on it.

neodog
24-09-2009, 04:29 PM
WOW thanks TCD!

My counters:

1) Attitude:

Nothing wrong with this,so what if he get ticked off faster than other players. He has forged a decent career already. Looking at this practically, Hall has forged a relatively long and successful AFL career as professional sportsman, this proves he has the necessary discipline, committment to the cause and importantly the right attitude to succeed.

The stigma of Hall being uncontrollable, Badass and a general bully on the field has always stuck with him throughout his career. I think Hall will bring exactly the right attitude/mindset and culture change that a club like us need. We need to get over being everyone 2nd favorite team, being the back to the wall type of club, being the underdog and then failing at the last hurdle under the weight of expectation when the limelight shine on us and we are expected to dance on the big stage. Barry is a bully no doubt and his attitude will rub off on the playing group and will give the Bulldog back its BITE.

(Murphy's quote: Having Barry in the team will make others around him walk taller)

2) Body:

I accept that he will not be in his peak conditions, but you take what is best available for you at any given moment. Barry is not your typical aging footballer in that the body wear down, he was still playing quite well this year and kicked a bag on our Brian lake, he also starred in many other game. For christ sake the mid season forced retirements has kept him primed and ready for a full pre-season also heal any ongoing soft tissue injuries. Barry Hall has the toughnut genes and does not have a history of chronic injuries, for goodness sake he is training partime/fulltime as a BOXER !!!!

Remi Moses
24-09-2009, 04:30 PM
The clubs taking an obvious risk. But to take no risk and have the midget forwards failing in finals again is a BIGGER RISK.Yes we score heavy in home and away games but in big crunch finals[Geelong] [Stkilda] it doesn't work!Every pass that isn't pinpoint our forwards get outmarked.

Desipura
24-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey Bornadog, has Hall gotten younger? Why the change of heart? You have gone from one extreme to another. hehe

Ozza
24-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I think it became abundantly clear during the Preliminery final that our lack of a big forward was holding us back from getting to a Grand Final. We were outmarked far too often - and a player like Hall has the ability to both take marks - and to bring the ball down when out of position.

I'm extremely positive about us (potentially) getting him. I'm not saying he is still an 80 goal a season forward - but he doesn't have to be. He is simply a better option close to goal than Minson, Welsh, Hill, Hahn etc that we have had deep on many occasions this year. We even had a fwd set up of Addison, Stack and Aker one day! Hall will give us a better structure, he will compete hard and he is in relative terms - costing us stuff all.

Hopefully our supporters can see past the hysteria about him being a mindless thug - which is not the case. He has stuffed up a couple of times - but he has been a popular person around the clubs he has played at and has fitted in well.

I think the players will be happy he is joining the squad.

Go Bazza.

neodog
24-09-2009, 04:45 PM
My counters:

3) Suspension: I will accept suspension, I have no doubt that this will be tied into his playing contracts as an incentive to control Barry and will save the club a bit of coins. Its the risk of having Hall, but aslong as he is primed and is available at the pointy end of the seasons then a few games here and there during the H&A will be acceptable. Hall has never been suspended in a finals series!!! Its not that big of a risk if he does get suspended as we can resort to our Plan B - the high scoring midget forward line to get the job done or Plan C - develop promising tall forwards.

4) Take game time from our developing forwards:
This has to be the most riduclous arguments against getting Hall. By having Hall around the club, it will teach these developing kids of what kind of attitude is required to play this game. They can look up to him or have him mentoring a developing tall, imagine Grant/Everitt/Williams competing with Hall for body positioning in a contest. Hall will gobble them up if they bring their pissy princess attitude, or he can quickly show them up as inferior in strength direct them to spend more time in the gym...etc. At the moment no one can really teach/mentor these devoloping talls as good as Hall will because we dont have any.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I think everyone should forget about Hall and goal kicking. He's 32 and a little temperamental, and I doubt he'll be kicking "bags" of goals each game.
However you should be looking at what he can 'free up' in the Dogs forward line, and the quality defensive opposition he'll take out of the game. The leagues key defenders will match up on him, which means the smaller forwards and people like big Will (if he sharpens his hands) should have a blinding season next year.
But this all depends on if Hall can holster the guns???

Desipura
24-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Kirky was on SEN not long ago and said he was one of the best trainers at the club, really prepared himself well. It was just those unfortunate moments on the ground where he would do something silly that had cost him.

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I think everyone should forget about Hall and goal kicking. He's 32 and a little temperamental, and I doubt he'll be kicking "bags" of goals each game.
However you should be looking at what he can 'free up' in the Dogs forward line, and the quality defensive opposition he'll take out of the game. The leagues key defenders will match up on him, which means the smaller forwards and people like big Will (if he sharpens his hands) should have a blinding season next year.
But this all depends on if Hall can holster the guns???

He kicked what, 30 something goals this year from 11 games? Add in our supply to our forward line, where's the Swannies play a more defensive style, i couldn't see [bar suspension / injury] that he couldn't be good for 60 plus.

Ozza
24-09-2009, 04:51 PM
My counters:
4) Take game time from our developing forwards:
This has to be the most riduclous arguments against getting Hall. By having Hall around the club, it will teach these developing kids of what kind of attitude is required to play this game. They can look up to him or have him mentoring a developing tall, imagine Grant/Everitt/Williams competing with Hall for body positioning in a contest. Hall will gobble them up if they bring their pissy princess attitude, or he can quickly show them up as inferior in strength direct them to spend more time in the gym...etc. At the moment no one can really teach/mentor these devoloping talls as good as Hall will because we dont have any.

Apart from this - he will get the best big defender every time - so it not only helps out our regular forwards (Johnson, Hah, Murph) - but it also means that when a Jarrod Grant or Ayce Cordy or even Liam Jones gets a game - they aren't copping a top notch player straight away.

Desipura
24-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I saw him kick 6 goals effortlessly against Lakey in Canberra and was not even in the top 5 players on the ground. The guy can play and with quality midfielders like ours, 50 goals should be attainable.

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 04:57 PM
If things go well for Barry over the 2 seasons, given his hard work on & off, he would be great to perhaps continue on at the club as a forward coach of sorts, to really get the most out of Grant & Jones, Roughead & Cordy throughout their continued development, even whilst he is playing, those younger talls are going to learn so much off him.

A bit like with Aker, and working closely with Cooney, helping him get to that next level, dealing with taggers etc.

strebla
24-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Both Lake and Scarlett said he was the hardest player to play on so for me that will do!!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 05:08 PM
He kicked what, 30 something goals this year from 11 games? Add in our supply to our forward line, where's the Swannies play a more defensive style, i couldn't see [bar suspension / injury] that he couldn't be good for 60 plus.

You're right, the dogs don't play like Sydney. They go long from 50m on the run, they move the ball by hand and kick flowing goals.
But don't get me wrong! He'll be a great asset for the club and will kick more than his share of goals. I just don't see him contending the Colman medal, that's all.
I do agree with you about him developing the younger ones, feed them into the team next to Barry over the next two years and they'll learn more on field than any assistant coach could teach them!

neodog
24-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Kirky was on SEN not long ago and said he was one of the best trainers at the club, really prepared himself well. It was just those unfortunate moments on the ground where he would do something silly that had cost him.

In a way those brain snap gave him forced leave which had the unexpected benefit of better preserving his body in the long run. He is just as dangerous forward this year as during his 11 games.

soupman
24-09-2009, 05:11 PM
This thread is going off. Everytime I click back on the main forum to pick a new thread there is already a new post in here.

w3design
24-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with us picking up BBBBBH.

I'd long been a believer in our team structure and it's ability to score, even in finals but after watching us fail against the Saints even with our domination for long periods in the middle I've come to the sad conclusion that we do need a power forward to win those games.

Getting BBBBBBH doesn't have to change our primary game plan of spotting up one of multiple mobile leading forwards but it does give us a pretty good plan B. Minson might actually take a grab in the forward line with BBBBBBBH up there as well.

neodog
24-09-2009, 05:27 PM
This thread is going off. Everytime I click back on the main forum to pick a new thread there is already a new post in here.

Barry Hall is the next great white hope - ala Tommy Gun Williams!!!

We are not worried about our backline anymore because we have Brian lake/Morris/Williams.

Our midfield currently has the right mix of inside/outside midfielders and a touch of class and depth coming through.

Our forwards are smart, skillful and outstanding the only thing we lack is marking power. It is universally established that having a power forward with presence is what needed in a tightly contested match where there is minimum space and time for precise passing.

Topdog
24-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Id love to see a BBBBB tshirt :cool:

That would be cool!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2009, 06:03 PM
That would be cool!

They'd sell quicker than Grand Final tickets!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Add another B for Beard

jazzadogs
24-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Add another B for Beard
Imagine if he grows one...he truly will be worshipped.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Great that Barry is coming home to the Doggies - he is a genuine / proven KPP who i think Eade / Williams will be able to get the best out of. Plus he will be great for the young forwards coming up through the ranks.

Great move by the club to be aggressive and get him lined up so quickly.

bornadog
24-09-2009, 06:30 PM
These were from half the thread about BBBBB with the poll on it.

Thank you for the reminder:cool:

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you for the reminder:cool:

A week's a long time in football! ;)

cinder
24-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I was initially dubious but I think this is a good thing and might be the answer to our prayers.
Fingers crossed!

bornadog
24-09-2009, 09:45 PM
A week's a long time in football! ;)

Still a little worried about his age, but then again, Lynch at the Lions was still dangerous and kicking goals when he was 35.

BulldogBelle
24-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Barry Hall = Vitamin B!

I'm happy for the club to be taking a risk with him.

I'm hopeful that one or two of our young tall kids will get a boost from him as well. maybe next year we can have our own twin towers.

Lets get behind the club and give our unanimous support. If it doesn't work out we can always blame the coach later, and Rocco too - blame him, (but none of the praise though if it does work out).

BulldogBelle
24-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I think BBBBBBBBBH is going to teach the younger bigger guys a thing of two about training hard, body positioning and aggresion
at the footy

Williams, Jones, Boumann, Cordy etc are all going to benefit from his prescence

I'm hoping that a change of environment will have a positive impact on some of his previous anger related issues

BRING ON 2010......I'm so excited!!!!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I think BBBBBBBBBH is going to teach the younger bigger guys a thing of two about training hard, body positioning and aggresion

I wonder who will be game enough to do the boxing drills with him? :confused:

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Yer I feel sorry for the poor person that has to spar with him

DOG GOD
24-09-2009, 10:48 PM
At least Eade has a "meaning" as punishment for a player "not doing what he should".

Eade : "how many times have i told you not to do that?"
Player starting to bead sweat on brow....
Eade: "15 mins in the ring with barry...GO!!!"

Scraggers
24-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I very dubious that Hall is what we need ... but as I said on another thread, I trust Eade et al.

What worries me is the amount of people on WOOF calling Hall the messiah ... I am not saying he is not a good footballer, but I think his age combined with his agro and the fact that he is un-proven in OUR structure, I think a more cautious approach is required.

And before I am attacked for my opposing opinion about Hall, I too have followed the Dogs for 40 years and never seen them play in a grand final ... I too was hurting on Friday when we fell short again ... and I too think we need to find a way to take that next step ...

I just don't think Hall is the Messiah

DOG GOD
24-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe not the messiah, but at least he will give us "something". He will put fear in the opposition defenders backing into the pack...he wont be outmarked and if he cant mark it himself, he will bring it to ground and hopefully keep the ball alive.

Thats good enough for me, and if it gives us hope for 2010 for having him in the team, then I'm all for it.

AndrewP6
24-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I very dubious that Hall is what we need ... but as I said on another thread, I trust Eade et al.

What worries me is the amount of people on WOOF calling Hall the messiah ... I am not saying he is not a good footballer, but I think his age combined with his agro and the fact that he is un-proven in OUR structure, I think a more cautious approach is required.

And before I am attacked for my opposing opinion about Hall, I too have followed the Dogs for 40 years and never seen them play in a grand final ... I too was hurting on Friday when we fell short again ... and I too think we need to find a way to take that next step ...

No, he's not the Messiah...he's just a very naughty boy (WOOF may be nearing Python-overload!)

bornadog
25-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I wonder who will be game enough to do the boxing drills with him? :confused:

The boxing coach, he is a big big boy

hujsh
25-09-2009, 12:35 AM

I've been wondering about this as well.

Whether he makes an immediate impact the way Rawlings did (although with very little to come from following matches) or if he struggles the way Aka did after having the last half of the season away from his club could be vital to our chances next year.

In terms of our structure he has the ability to lead as well as all our medium forwards and can be the guy we bomb to instead of Hill so I imagine that aspect should be fine.

Doc26
25-09-2009, 12:53 AM
assuming the deal gets done,no doubt a lot of work over the pre season to get the forward structure functioning having a key position forward in Barry roaming about. Added obvious bonus is that he is likely to get the #1 key opposition defender which will help to free up the rest of our forward line removing some pressure off the others which is definitely needed.

boydogs
25-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Eade: "15 mins in the ring with barry...GO!!!"

14:59 of that would be spent on the canvas :D

Dry Rot
25-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Interesting post to bookmark, I fear. Especially around late H&A and finals time.

Stefcep
25-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Hall will be good for the 40-50% of the time we bomb it to the teeth of goal. People talk about our "forward structure" but I seem to remember more than an occasional game where we saying "we have no forward structure". IMO he's worth the risk, he'll take a KP defender with him and thats gotta be good for Aker, Johno, Hahn, Gia, Murphy and Higgins, aside from the 3 per match he could boot himself.

Desipura
25-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Barry Hall is the next great white hope - ala Tommy Gun Williams!!!
Even if he turned out to be a failure (unlikely), I would not be bagging him just in case he hunts me down. :D

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 10:35 AM
They are going to finally get there man.

For those of you in the know - can you confirm that they have been trying to get him for the last 2 seasons?

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Big Bad Beautiful Bustling Bulldog Barry - The B7 Unit

I agree with the Big, Bad, Bustling Bulldog Barry, but beautiful????? ;)

Mantis
25-09-2009, 10:54 AM
For those of you in the know - can you confirm that they have been trying to get him for the last 2 seasons?

We enquired last year, but as Barry was contracted we would have had to have given up too much so we didn't take it any further. Hall was also keen on a move at that point in time.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=James Cuming;117979]Barry Hall = Vitamin B!

I'm happy for the club to be taking a risk with him.

I'm hopeful that one or two of our young tall kids will get a boost from him as well. maybe next year we can have our own twin towers.

Agree, I'm hopeful that he will be able to give the young 'uns a few tricks about how to play on the forward line. He is a risk, but from memory, Eade had him under control as his coach in Sydney?? (I stand corrected if my memory is wrong) I think this year proved that we need a tall marking forward, especially in the finals. I used to bag him something terrible, so now I'll need to learn to love him :D

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Mantis. My memory is not what it used to be!

neodog
25-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I've been wondering about this as well.

Whether he makes an immediate impact the way Rawlings did (although with very little to come from following matches) or if he struggles the way Aka did after having the last half of the season away from his club could be vital to our chances next year.

In terms of our structure he has the ability to lead as well as all our medium forwards and can be the guy we bomb to instead of Hill so I imagine that aspect should be fine.

Exactly, did everyone remember how Hill was pushed out by Hurn and Glass like 10 times against the Weagles this year? Now can you imagine Hurn/Glass licking their lips when they try to push BBBBBBBH off the contest.

neodog
25-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with the Big, Bad, Bustling Bulldog Barry, but beautiful????? ;)

Beautiful football with the dogs, compare to swan lockdown style?

craigsahibee
27-09-2009, 11:36 AM
at the footy

I'm hoping that a change of environment will have a positive impact on some of his previous anger related issues

BRING ON 2010......I'm so excited!!!!!

Spot On. :) Throw in Grant and Roughead as well.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Exactly, did everyone remember how Hill was pushed out by Hurn and Glass like 10 times against the Weagles this year? Now can you imagine Hurn/Glass licking their lips when they try to push BBBBBBBH off the contest.

Agree

When Aker started with us, ie in 2008 he wasent at his explosive best, probably due to the fact that he didnt manage his trajing properly when he was in football exile, and maybe we didnt manage his training properly when he came to the club

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH is a totally different player, and I'm confident that a player him who would rely less on his speed and endurance and moreso his strength, he should be able to make a positive impact straight away

He wont be our saviour, but if he can kick more than 50 goals in 2010 I would be over the moon

AndrewP6
29-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Interesting to note, there is a FAQ on the Dogs site "Who is Barry Hall" - The "answer" being the link to the statement re: Hall nominating ours as his preferred club.