PDA

View Full Version : Jason Akermanis will take pay cut to play on

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 06:06 PM
* Eliza Sewell, * From: MX * September 24, 2009 3:32PM

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Jason Akermanis says he'll play on next year for "whatever's left", with the club set to shell out a load of cash to secure Sydney bad boy Barry Hall and out-of-contract defender Brian Lake.

Bulldogs footy manager James Fantasia said the club would sit down with Sydney to nut out a deal expected to see Hall play at the Whitten Oval for the next two seasons.

Akermanis, who is out of contract but wants to play on next year, said he was willing to wait until the club had done a deal with Hall , and had re-contracted All-Australian Lake before he signed on again.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-will-take-pay-cut-to-play-on/story-e6frf8w6-1225779173688)

bulldogtragic
24-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Harness and respect his energy and eccentricities and he is the best team player you could wish for. Brisbane just couldn't see what a quality guy he is. Top notch Jason!

Hotdog60
24-09-2009, 06:12 PM
It's like going back 50 years, good on ya Aker! To not care what they pay him but just to play footy and get into a Grand Final.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 07:19 PM
He's got what most player lack in the league: HEART!
Playing for the club and to win at what ever cost. I love that these players 'want' to play for the Dogs. That's what's so good about Hall, he doesn't just want a club to go through the motions with, he wants to play for the Red White & Blue!
Good on ya Aker!

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 07:37 PM
* Eliza Sewell, * From: MX * September 24, 2009 3:32PM

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Jason Akermanis says he'll play on next year for "whatever's left", with the club set to shell out a load of cash to secure Sydney bad boy Barry Hall and out-of-contract defender Brian Lake.

Bulldogs footy manager James Fantasia said the club would sit down with Sydney to nut out a deal expected to see Hall play at the Whitten Oval for the next two seasons.

Akermanis, who is out of contract but wants to play on next year, said he was willing to wait until the club had done a deal with Hall , and had re-contracted All-Australian Lake before he signed on again.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-will-take-pay-cut-to-play-on/story-e6frf8w6-1225779173688)

Aker's intentions appear to be spot on. I suspect that he really wants another flag

Mantis
24-09-2009, 07:38 PM
This story is a bit surprising considering what I heard today.

I hope he is true to his word.

azabob
24-09-2009, 07:40 PM

From Akermanins? Which was?

KT31
24-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Able to elaborate ?

Mantis
24-09-2009, 07:44 PM
From Akermanins? Which was?

Just that he might want more than 'whatever is left'.

Perhaps he changed his mind.

azabob
24-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Who knows, not sure you can take what he says on NOVA as true. I think most things Akermanis says needs to be with a cup full of salt.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2009, 07:54 PM

How much more might he want?

KT31
24-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Might have realised a chance at a flag with the Dogs is better than sitting in the commentary box or running around with Freo.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Might have realised a chance at a flag with the Dogs is better than sitting in the commentary box or running around with Freo.

I am guessing he wants something in between "what's left" and the big coin he was on.

Mantis
24-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I am guessing he wants something in between "what's left" and the big coin he was on.

You would assume so.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 09:13 PM
This is great from Aker, much respect.

macca
24-09-2009, 10:29 PM
take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.

Aker is a champion and he knows the team is bigger than him, and there are bigger dreams than just some $$$$. Good onya Aker!

Anyhow, he should be rested against some of the lower teams next year to keep him fresh. i.e no travel against freo or port adelaide. Just to brisbane so he can help beat the lions again!

Stefcep
25-09-2009, 12:53 AM
You would assume so.

and why wouldn't he? Where on the list of our most important players this season would he be? Top 5? Why is there an expectation he should make do with the left overs? Was our favourite aging son Johno worth more this year? Were about a dozen others? The guys a champ and the club ought to be rating him more highly than they seem to be

Mantis
25-09-2009, 07:32 AM
and why wouldn't he? Where on the list of our most important players this season would he be? Top 5? Why is there an expectation he should make do with the left overs? Was our favourite aging son Johno worth more this year? Were about a dozen others? The guys a champ and the club ought to be rating him more highly than they seem to be

I would think the major reason was that at the start of the year Aker declared that the '09 season would be his last and it remained that way til at least after the mid season break.

The club no doubt assumed Aker would not be there in 2010 so has used the money he was on to give other players such as Higgins and hopefully Lake a better deal.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Aker was always going to have to play on for minimum-ish wage. I think he is fully aware of this, he's been vocal in the media saying how much he wants Hall to join us.

Sure he'd prefer to be well paid, who wouldn't, but when push comes to shove he doesn't have a lot of choice but to take whats left. He might talk more than another player whilst doing it, but that doesnt mean he wont do it.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=macca;118031]take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.
Aker is a champion and he knows the team is bigger than him, and there are bigger dreams than just some $$$$. Good onya Aker!

Yep, you nailed it Macca - Granty, Westy and Bubba would have traded anything for a premiership medallion I reckon. Go lots of respect for Aker - he is all class :D

neodog
25-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Acker a true champ he is. Being a decent player he is, he would had earned a bit of coin over this AFL journey and i think it is now time that he wants to give some back. This to me is a sign of man who is fair and kind.

Dare i say this but since Acka has joined the kennel, the Western Bulldogs or F. F. C. has never been heard more in the main stream consciousness than ever.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Dare i say this but since Acka has joined the kennel, the Western Bulldogs or F. F. C. has never been heard more in the main stream consciousness than ever.

And you can add BBBBB next year as well -- we would be as high profile as we've ever been.

hujsh
25-09-2009, 02:35 PM
take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.

Aka may be able to live with the three he already has. Different story for those blokes.

dogs den mum
25-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Acker a true champ he is. Being a decent player he is, he would had earned a bit of coin over this AFL journey and i think it is now time that he wants to give some back. This to me is a sign of man who is fair and kind.

And maybe the reason he would be willing to accept less for playing footy next year is that the club will allow him to do even more in the media (and thus supplement his income). There may also be an understanding that he will play fewer games next year; not only to give his body more recovery time, but also to allow some of the younger up and coming players to be given some game time.

donnan
28-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Yip! It has got me stumped why we would / should low ball Jason...his worth has been well and truely demonstrated. I know he is overly verbal and can be annoying...but how much 'vanilla' can we stand from our footballers???...he might not always be right, but at least he says what he thinks.

I also reckon his team contribution is really under rated...if you watch him with the other players...he is really supportive, gets around, pumps them up, gives a hug...Top 3 for me!

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Yip! It has got me stumped why we would / should low ball Jason...his worth has been well and truely demonstrated. I know he is overly verbal and can be annoying...but how much 'vanilla' can we stand from our footballers???...he might not always be right, but at least he says what he thinks.

I also reckon his team contribution is really under rated...if you watch him with the other players...he is really supportive, gets around, pumps them up, gives a hug...Top 3 for me!

A great team man. Works hard for himself, but works hard for his mates too. I remember him running 60 metres after a goal just to ruffle the hair of a young fringe player whose inspirational play directly caused said goal.

I don't think it's a question of lowballing JA, as someone else posted, his pay cut will be more than made up for by a longer leash from the club.