PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Davey (or his type) - The missing piece??

Jasper
24-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Assuming we have Hall, the only real weakness (apart from an overhead marking ruckman), is a potential lack of pace and kicking skill in the one unit through the midfield and forward (even if Eagle stays he has lost a yard, and we all know his limitations and if he goes we are more exposed). Aaron Davey fits the bill and I understand is still uncontracted. If we could find the cap space (big if), I think the kitchen sink should be thrown at him and Melbourne. This is our chance, and I would think our first round and a quality youngster not getting a game (Roughead, Cordy, Hill and Grant excluded) could be thrown at him.

Another player that springs to mind is Nahas. Given these guys may not be available, any others?

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Have a look at the youtube on Lewis Jetta because I think he is exactly what you are asking for.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=111770&postcount=53

Jasper
24-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Have a look at the youtube on Lewis Jetta because I think he is exactly what you are asking for.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=111770&postcount=53

So you think we do a 'Cyril Rioli' effort. I suppose I would have two concerns:

1 - Someone gets him with 14 picks beforehand; or
2 - We get him but he doesn't go like Cyril but ends up having a Yarran type first season.

Frankly if we are getting Hall, we may as well get the other missing pieces immediately, and our lack of pace in the midfield and lack of a pacy good kicking forward troubles me. Particularly when you see our competitors picking up speed (Burgoyne to Hawks, McLean releasing Judd outside, Essendon's pace, etc) and our list getting older and slower (Aker, Johnno, Hall, Gia, Hahn, Cross, Boyd, etc)

Swoop
24-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I love seeing those raw honest interviews before an AFL club has had a chance to give them any media training, quite refreshing. What are your thoughts on where and when he may be getting picked up, he obviously won't be flying under any radars after a solid season.

Also with the recent success of the likes of Nahas & Liam Anthony and clubs preparing for the Gold Coast I think clubs will continue to try and find some mature age recruits in the local state comps.

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Also with the recent success of the likes of Nahas & Liam Anthony and clubs preparing for the Gold Coast I think clubs will continue to try and find some mature age recruits in the local state comps.

Yes the next couple of years should see more players taken from the State league competitions.

BulldogBelle
24-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Davey for Everitt + a very late draft pick?

hujsh
24-09-2009, 10:49 PM

No chance IMO. Everitt not worth it for Melb

Jasper
24-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Isn't L Jetta saying he'd like to go Top 5? Is that realistic? And won't Freo or WC snaffle him. Particularly WC who have flagged a need for a small forward?

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Isn't L Jetta saying he'd like to go Top 5? Is that realistic? And won't Freo or WC snaffle him. Particularly WC who have flagged a need for a small forward?

He's saying that with his links to Matera he'd like to go to the Eagles. He's not saying that he will be the first player they pick either. By the way, I think that youtube of him is a couple of months old so things might have changed with his outlook.

Don't listen to his words out of that clip just look at his actions. If any club wants him they won't hesitate to draft him.

lemmon
24-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Agreed, if there is anything the Dees have in excess it is that tall, running, utility, backmen type player.

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Agreed, if there is anything the Dees have in excess it is that tall, running, utility, backmen type player.

James Frawley is a fairly close match wouldn't you think?

lemmon
24-09-2009, 11:09 PM
James Frawley is a fairly close match wouldn't you think?

Im not sure I understand your post, do you mean in terms of a trade?

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 11:14 PM

No, I think he means James Frawley is a similar type of player to Everitt.

GVGjr
24-09-2009, 11:15 PM

I was responding to the fact that they have a few similar types to Everitt. Frawley springs to mind.

Jasper
24-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Don't listen to his words out of that clip just look at his actions. If any club wants him they won't hesitate to draft him.

He is fast. Had a quick look at Eagles bigfooty site, some seem to think he will go late first or early second round, which is around our bracket. Given salary cap, may need to keep fingers crossed he is the answer and he gets to us. Like the fact he is mature age.

lemmon
24-09-2009, 11:17 PM
No, I think he means James Frawley is a similar type of player to Everitt.

Ohh woops, not sure where my head is tonight :o. They have drafted a number of those skinny players who may or may not be able to hold down those key position posts in the future, the likes of Frawley, Martin, Garland and Morton

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Melbourne would probably say no to Everitt and our 1st round draft pick.

bornadog
24-09-2009, 11:57 PM
He's saying that with his links to Matera he'd like to go to the Eagles. He's not saying that he will be the first player they pick either. By the way, I think that youtube of him is a couple of months old so things might have changed with his outlook.

He is very quick, I doubt he will last to pick 14, but then again, you never know.

jazzadogs
25-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Possibly a three-way trade with Carlton? Seeing as they're frontrunners for Dre.
Although if they are already getting McLean from the Dee's, Melb might not want to do anything else with them.

hujsh
25-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Possibly a three-way trade with Carlton? Seeing as they're frontrunners for Dre.
Although if they are already getting McLean from the Dee's, Melb might not want to do anything else with them.

Everitt is worth far less than Davey so we'd have to bring much more to the table.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I would love Davey but the cost would be too much. Essendon have many other similar options, I say get into their heads with all their leaders and mates who have been unsanctimoniously dumped and try to get one of them across.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I would love Davey but the cost would be too much. Essendon have many other similar options, I say get into their heads with all their leaders and mates who have been unsanctimoniously dumped and try to get one of them across.

He's agreed to a new deal with Melbourne anyway.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 09:30 AM
He's agreed to a new deal with Melbourne anyway.
Well there you go, it's moo.

Essendon have a Davey, a Jetta, Atkinson, Lovett, Lovett-Murray, Houli, Dempsey etc.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Well there you go, it's moo.

Essendon have a Davey, a Jetta, Atkinson, Lovett, Lovett-Murray, Houli, Dempsey etc.

Lots of Lovett Windy Hill.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Lots of Lovett Windy Hill.
Houli Douli that's a great Essendon pun.