PDA

View Full Version : Lake cooling on Bulldogs

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Greg Denham | September 25, 2009

NEGOTIATIONS between the Western Bulldogs and All-Australian Brian Lake hit a stalemate last night after the defender remained unsigned and in limbo.

The Bulldogs were confident they had struck a lucrative four-year deal with the full-back, but mystery now surrounds why Lake has not yet put pen to paper.

Lake, 27, has been offered at least $1.8million over four years, which was initially thought to be enough to secure him for the remainder of his career.

But Lake has been in no hurry to agree to terms, even with a substantial pay rise.

Article in full... (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26120725-5012432,00.html)

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I can't believe this, what is his problem:( Any idea who the clubs are that are circling? My guess Carlton and Essendon.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I can't believe this, what is his problem:( Any idea who the clubs are that are circling? My guess Carlton and Essendon.
Carlton don't have anything to offer. They've sold pick 11. The closest thing they have is Judd.

Essendon, perhaps. Not sure what they have, which they will give up.

Sydney are the cashed up ones.

EasternWest
25-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I thought he'd told Sydney he wasn't interested? So many rumours and so much speculation.

Mantis
25-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Carlton don't have anything to offer. They've sold pick 11. The closest thing they have is Judd.

Essendon, perhaps. Not sure what they have, which they will give up.

Sydney are the cashed up ones.

We have said all along we wont be trading him so it doesn't really matter what other clubs are offering/ have to offer.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 08:43 AM
We have said all along we wont be trading him so it doesn't really matter what other clubs are offering/ have to offer.

If that's the case he has 2 options as I see it:

a) Re- sign with us, or

b) Nominate for the PSD, but whack an extraordinarily large price on his head to deter would be suitors).

If he chooses option b) he's playing a dangerous game.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 08:45 AM
If that's the case he has 2 options as I see it:

a) Re- sign with us, or

b) Nominate for the PSD, but whack an extraordinarily large price on his head to deter would be suitors).

If he chooses option b) he's playing a dangerous game.
Melbourne have the cap room...

I take what you say Mantis, but come 1.30pm on the Friday of trade week, do you think we will hold our mettle?

Mantis
25-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I take what you say Mantis, but come 1.30pm on the Friday of trade week, do you think we will hold our mettle?

We have some strong characters in our footy department and in our top office so I hope they keep their word.

From what we have heard we have increased our offer substantially and given Brian an extra year, we have given him what he wants and he still is holding out which is disappointing.

Desipura
25-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Melbourne have the cap room...

Other than the obvious, why would he go to Melbourne who are alot further away from a premiership than we are.

Mantis
25-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Other than the obvious, why would he go to Melbourne who are alot further away from a premiership than we are.

They are probably willing to pay more $$'s which seems to be the only reason why he hasn't signed with us.

Agree that it doesn't make sense.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I meant if we don't trade him, Melbourne have first pick in the PSD and have the cap space to compensate him too. Not him wishing to go there.

This is getting grubby by Brian.

Desipura
25-09-2009, 09:18 AM
They are probably willing to pay more $$'s which seems to be the only reason why he hasn't signed with us.

Agree that it doesn't make sense.
The media would really hang on him if he did leave us. Especially as we have a golden opportunity next year with BBBB at the kennel.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 09:20 AM
The media would really hang on him if he did leave us. Especially as we have a golden opportunity next year with BBBB at the kennel.
The story should be "Why is life so hard being a bulldogs person, why the **** can't anything just go to plan just once for them".

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I just feel gutted (again) sort our one end and the other end hangs in the balance. Come on Brian stop stuffing us around:mad:

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 09:24 AM
If Brian Lake decides to take a walk - who would be a suitable replacement (not that you can replace an All Australian player, but the dogs might not have a choice).

Could Matt Maguire be a close enough replacement? Or perhaps Nathan Brown (from Collingwood)?

There'll be plenty of "Lake's not going anywhere!" but sometimes you've got to plan for the worst....

Desipura
25-09-2009, 09:38 AM
If Brian Lake decides to take a walk - who would be a suitable replacement (not that you can replace an All Australian player, but the dogs might not have a choice).

Could Matt Maguire be a close enough replacement? Or perhaps Nathan Brown (from Collingwood)?

Collingwood very rarely lose a player to another club especially one that is as highly rated as Brown, he will be a Collingwood player for a long time.
Maguire is a totally different player and the jury is still out on him whether he can play at the highest level.
A young kpp gun or a very early first rounder and a player would be the only compensation I would think.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Collingwood very rarely lose a player to another club especially one that is as highly rated as Brown, he will be a Collingwood player for a long time.
Maguire is a totally different player and the jury is still out on him whether he can play at the highest level.
A young kpp gun or a very early first rounder and a player would be the only compensation I would think.

And if Brian decides to chase the money instead of the Premiership and bolts to PSD - the dogs have a bit of salary cap room to sign someone...the question is who?

KT31
25-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Lakes most likely waiting for the Barry Hall publicity to die down , so he can be front page news .
What are the chance of this being a beat up , so the reporter looks like he has a scoop ?

Bulldog4life
25-09-2009, 10:12 AM
It is disappointing to hear about Brian's delay in signing. Just 9 days ago he said "For sure (I want to stay).
They have got a contract on the table so it's just working out the finer points, but I just have to worry about it at the end of the year."

I don't know what has happened since then so we can only hope that's it the "finer points" that are the sticking point. I'm not saying this is the case but I always wonder in situations like this how much influence his better half would have on his decision. You know the old saying "happy wife happy life".

The Pie Man
25-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow .. will the Bulldog rollercoaster ever stop?

This is the textbook definition of deflating after yesterday's good news.

Part of the article mentioned two Melbourne based clubs that are circling played finals this year - so I take it Carlton is one of them.

I hold out hope he will see sense - but if doesn't sign, this will feel wayyyyy worse than Nathan Brown

Boumann, are you ready?

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 11:07 AM
No surprise Greg Denham is peddling this type of story. He seems to be the first off the mark to kick the Dogs, and regularly gets it wrong when doing so

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 11:10 AM
No surprise Greg Denham is peddling this type of story. He seems to be the first off the mark to kick the Dogs, and regularly gets it wrong when doing so
I don't believe he has it wrong this time.

Bulldog4life
25-09-2009, 11:19 AM

If that is the case I'm all for clearing those type of players and getting the best deal for the Club. If a player doesn't really want to stay so be it irrespective of who it is.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Could Chris Tarrant be someone the dogs could chase?

If Lake leaves, there's certainly a big hole at Fullback and there's not that many defenders around....I'm getting a little stressed now:(

anfo27
25-09-2009, 11:22 AM

So are you saying we should be worried TCD?

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 11:31 AM
So are you saying we should be worried TCD?

I know I am! :eek:

anfo27
25-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I know I am! :eek:

I don't know but i have always felt confident he would sign, whereas Nathan Brown i always felt he was going. I pray that i am right.

Sedat
25-09-2009, 11:42 AM
If that is the case I'm all for clearing those type of players and getting the best deal for the Club. If a player doesn't really want to stay so be it irrespective of who it is.
Lake is irreplacable to our structure - only Scarlett is on a par or better as a key defender. We lose Lake and we are much less of a chance to make top 4 let alone a GF in coming years. Automatrically places the likes of Hargrave and Morris into very uncomfortable match-ups every single week, and places overall pressure on the defensive unit that we've spent the last 5 years refining and perfecting.

It's unfortunate but Lake and his management have us over a barrell and they know it. The reality is that we may as well forget about drafting Hall to fill a structural hole up forward when a hole the size of the Grand Canyon is about to be opened up at the other end.

KT31
25-09-2009, 11:43 AM
If this is true.

Maybe he can have another name change.

Gordon Gekko ? :D

bornadog
25-09-2009, 11:46 AM
If Lake leaves, then I will blame him for us missing a GF this year:D

Seriously though, I have always hated his manager and this just confirms it. A four year contract is a risk for the club and is rarely given to players. I know his manager is trying to get the best for Brian, but I bet he is trying to get the best for himself first.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 11:51 AM
If Lake leaves, then I will blame him for us missing a GF this year:D

Seriously though, I have always hated his manager and this just confirms it. A four year contract is a risk for the club and is rarely given to players. I know his manager is trying to get the best for Brian, but I bet he is trying to get the best for himself first.

Perhaps Lake/Olarenshaw want that extra 20K. 500K a year

Dazza
25-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I hope he stays. Just when it was looking good for next year.

If he leaves will we drop out of the 8?

lemmon
25-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I wouldve thought so, in my mind Lake is the key to a grandfinal and beyond. Without him I could easily see us finishing in that 7-9 bracket and the Carltons and Hawthorns going past us.

Would he really leave for a no hoper club like Melbourne or go to a place with at least a semi-decent list like Port? if he definitley is leaving would the next step be to nominate a club ala Judd, Warnock, Burgoyne.

Cyberdoggie
25-09-2009, 12:06 PM
This seems odd, especially after the talk Brian did with the media in regards to the young girl who gave him some money from her piggy bank to persuade him to stay (ala Chris Grant).

It would be pretty low for him to leave after going public with that story.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:06 PM

No we won't. St Kilda made the GF this year with Zac Dawson at FB. Lake is overrating himself here -- and to make new demands even though the club has bent over backwards meeting all of his previous demands is bad faith.

If Lake leaves, sure, there'll be a drop down in class, but we'll trade for a developing tall backman from another club and make do with the stopgap. We'll also stop giving up 3 goals a game to Brian's brainfades.

Before I Die
25-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Could it be that the recent announcement regarding the improved Etihad deal for next year is having an efect? Suddenly the Dogs have more money in the kitty and given that they weren't intending to spend all their promotional allowance (I know this is not the correct term), Lake and his manager may feel a new calculation is necessary.

lemmon
25-09-2009, 12:10 PM
What could the problem be? Four years guarantees him to the end of his career and the money offered isn't something to be sneezed at, maybe his relationship with Eade isn't how its played out in the media though this seems unlikely because he did give Brian his first real break.
Perhaps he has a problem with Bazza, I know I'm clutching at straws but I thought this was the deal Brian and his management wanted.

Sedat
25-09-2009, 12:11 PM
No we won't. St Kilda made the GF this year with Zac Dawson at FB. Lake is overrating himself here -- and to make new demands even though the club has bent over backwards meeting all of his previous demands is bad faith.
St Kilda relies on a rigid defensive structure to be competitive, not on personnel. By contrast, we rely on personnel far more to carry out our more offensive quick transition game plan. If we want to create that awful defensive 'cage' zone structure with a million stoppages a game, then I agree that we won't need the bees knees best full back in the business. But as Hawthorn have shown this season, structures can be overcome far easier than personnel.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:22 PM
For %$@#& sake, just sign the bloody contract Brian!!!! :mad:

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 12:36 PM
We said we wont trade him.Therefore we can only get the slops in the PSD. Gibson and Tarrant would't last until pick 14. Bou is it.

KT31
25-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know when Lakes mangement and the Dogs will be having their next meeting ?

Bulldog4life
25-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Lake is irreplacable to our structure - only Scarlett is on a par or better as a key defender. We lose Lake and we are much less of a chance to make top 4 let alone a GF in coming years. Automatrically places the likes of Hargrave and Morris into very uncomfortable match-ups every single week, and places overall pressure on the defensive unit that we've spent the last 5 years refining and perfecting.

It's unfortunate but Lake and his management have us over a barrell and they know it. The reality is that we may as well forget about drafting Hall to fill a structural hole up forward when a hole the size of the Grand Canyon is about to be opened up at the other end.

I agree with what you are saying nevertheless if we can't satisfy his financial demands it is better to get what we can for him. From what I can gather he has been made a very good offer by the Club of 1.8 million over 4 years. If he is holding out for just a few shekels more it reflects on him badly as a person.
Shame that he doesn't follow a number of the Geelong player's financial ethos.

lemmon
25-09-2009, 12:40 PM
We said we wont trade him.Therefore we can only get the slops in the PSD. Gibson and Tarrant would't last until pick 14. Bou is it.

Or keep skinny and throw him into the deep end

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Not much choice. Tiller, Everitt and Bou are our cover. Not much compared to what we could lose.

If he walks over such a relatively minor amount and leaves us with no compensation i will despise him 1,000,000,000,000 times more than Brown.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Not much choice. Tiller, Everitt and Bou are our cover. Not much compared to what we could lose.

Surely there are some fringe developed backmen lying around that we could pick up on the cheap. I'm thinking that this may even change the landscape re: Cam Wight.

neodog
25-09-2009, 12:56 PM

Or play Tommy Gun Williams at Fullback.

lemmon
25-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Surely there are some fringe developed backmen lying around that we could pick up on the cheap. I'm thinking that this may even change the landscape re: Cam Wight.

Perhaps Goosey from the Saints

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 12:57 PM

I've been trying to figure who they would be:(

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 01:00 PM
TCD what is your gut feeling? are you worried or confident that he will sign?

lemmon
25-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe Lake wants to return home, he's originally from SA isnt he? Wouldnt make much sense though, he's settled here and has business interests in Melbourne.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2009, 01:06 PM
TCD what is your gut feeling? are you worried or confident that he will sign?

It changed really quickly yesterday. I was quietly confident, but now I just don't know.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 01:11 PM
It will end up being very interesting when all comes out one way or the other.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I've been trying to figure who they would be:(

Think harder Dex, forget work, think.

Doc26
25-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Will make for an interesting night at the B&F ? If he pulls on us I might give him one for the 'Woof' Team on the night.

Desipura
25-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Will make for an interesting night at the B&F ? If he pulls on us I might give him one for the 'Woof' Team on the night.
Or we can get BBBBB onto him

hujsh
25-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Good money and security with 4 years and he still won't sign?

This whole thing has really tarnished his image in my eyes.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe he got tired of Rocket yelling at him all the time.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Good money and security with 4 years and he still won't sign?

This whole thing has really tarnished his image in my eyes.

Agree, and it doesn't help having others like Aker who value loyalty, taking a huge pay cut to play on for a premiership.

Bryza is getting a liiiittle bit greedy.

dogs den mum
25-09-2009, 04:05 PM
It is disappointing to hear about Brian's delay in signing. Just 9 days ago he said "For sure (I want to stay).
They have got a contract on the table so it's just working out the finer points, but I just have to worry about it at the end of the year."

I don't know what has happened since then so we can only hope that's it the "finer points" that are the sticking point. I'm not saying this is the case but I always wonder in situations like this how much influence his better half would have on his decision. You know the old saying "happy wife happy life".

Well actually,since then Lloydy has retired. Knowing how Brian loves going forward and kicking goals, perhaps he's got Ricky shpping him around as a :DFF !!

AndrewP6
25-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Jesus bloody Christ (Apologies for the blasphemy!).... this falls through and we're ****ed... we get Bazza and lose Bryza? C'mon Lakey, give the club your autograph!

GVGjr
25-09-2009, 05:09 PM
This seems out of character and it could be a couple of things.

1 - Having the money to pay Hall means that Lake thinks we have a bit more to send his way.
2 - Another club has upped the ante to secure his services.

My gut feel that he will stay but if he doesn't want to then we need to get a good deal for him and not be bloody minded. It's no good to let a critical player like him with a lot of market value leave us for nothing.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 05:26 PM
This seems out of character and it could be a couple of things.

1 - Having the money to pay Hall means that Lake thinks we have a bit more to send his way.
2 - Another club has upped the ante to secure his services.

My gut feel that he will stay but if he doesn't want to then we need to get a good deal for him and not be bloody minded. It's no good to let a critical player like him with a lot of market value leave us for nothing.

I agree.

Although i think it's getting a little out of hand now, and puts him across as greedy towards the supporters.

Max469
25-09-2009, 05:34 PM
What could the problem be? Four years guarantees him to the end of his career and the money offered isn't something to be sneezed at, maybe his relationship with Eade isn't how its played out in the media though this seems unlikely because he did give Brian his first real break.
Perhaps he has a problem with Bazza, I know I'm clutching at straws but I thought this was the deal Brian and his management wanted.

It is funny because this was my train of thought.

The deal is what he wanted and as soon as Barry names us as his preferred club - he is shying away from signing. mmm

Hotdog60
25-09-2009, 05:40 PM
It is funny because this was my train of thought.

The deal is what he wanted and as soon as Barry names us as his preferred club - he is shying away from signing. mmm

If Hall is the problem, don't get him. Hall is 32, would you risk destabilising the back line for 4 years to have Hall for 2 years. Did Brian have some history against Barry when playing?

Rocco Jones
25-09-2009, 05:55 PM
If Hall is the problem, don't get him. Hall is 32, would you risk destabilising the back line for 4 years to have Hall for 2 years. Did Brian have some history against Barry when playing?

I think it has been obvious for awhile (especially within the club) that Hall will play for the Bulldogs next year.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 06:15 PM

That's clutching at straws, when it looked like we were going to go after Hall, Lake made the comment that he was the hardest full forward he has ever been on - I am sure a comment/compliment made thinking that Hall was coming to the dogs.

Hotdog60
25-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I was just wondering as it was thrown out there earlier, it would be very disappointing to gain Barry and lose Brian. With both players at opposite ends makes the team look very strong, if Brian does go we end up in the same boat as before only in the back line and not the forward line.
I hope for the teams sake it get sorted sooner than later.

azabob
25-09-2009, 06:21 PM
If he wants to go good luck to him.
We took a punt on him when no one else would.
If this is about money do we want someone at our club like that?
If this is a personality clash, in particular with a senior coach do we have a bigger issue all together?

Topdog
25-09-2009, 06:38 PM
If this is a personality clash, in particular with a senior coach do we have a bigger issue all together?

It's not, Lake loves Rocket.

azabob
25-09-2009, 07:00 PM
It's not, Lake loves Rocket.

Yeah we hear that, but all Lake needs is someone in his ear like a close family member or his manager saying he shouldn't have to put up being the brunt of public jokes for him to think twice.
Stranger things have happened.

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I think Lake decided to stay and told the club so. He would have given the other clubs the courtesy of a call to say he's staying where he is.

It's possible that one of the clubs then said, "we'll add another 100 large a year".

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 11:27 PM
It sounds like he is getting really greedy. I mean I know he deserves more than what he was on but there's guys like Aker taking pay cuts. Cooney and Griffen are out of contract next year, I hope we don't have to put ourselves in a position where we can't afford them because of Lake's greediness.

FrediKanoute
25-09-2009, 11:38 PM
We have some strong characters in our footy department and in our top office so I hope they keep their word.

From what we have heard we have increased our offer substantially and given Brian an extra year, we have given him what he wants and he still is holding out which is disappointing.

Then I don't see why we wouldn't trade him. Yep great player and probably the most irreplaceable player in the side, but if he doesn't want to be there, or is only interested in money then get rid of him.

To draw an analogy, Chris Coleman the former Fulham manager basically had a contractual dispute with Steed Malbranque and effectively said he wouldn't be playing in the 1sts at Fulham until he committed himself to the club (from memory Steed had 1 year to run on his deal and Fulham had offered him a new contract). The end result was that Steed started the season not even on the bench for about the first 5 or 6 games. eventually they sold him to Spurs.

Now the point is, its all very well saying that we'll let you go to the PSD, but if he doesn't want to play for what we are offering then we'd be better off trading him to someone who wont be a finals contestant next year....Freo, Melbourne, Swans etc.

The Pie Man
26-09-2009, 07:45 AM
From the Herald Sun website

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-star-brian-lake-yet-to-sign-as-other-afl-clubs-circle/story-e6frf8w6-1225779720068

Western Bulldogs star Brian Lake yet to sign as other AFL clubs circle
Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph From: Herald Sun September 26, 2009 12:00AM

THE Brian Lake contract saga rolls on, with no sign of a resolution in sight.

Lake had been close to signing a deal with the Western Bulldogs about three weeks ago, but talks have stalled.

Although the All-Australian full-back has an offer of about $1.8 million over four years on the table, he is baulking at the moment as other clubs circle.

It is understood Carlton and Collingwood are taking more than a passing interest in Lake.

But it is difficult to see the Blues or Pies nabbing Lake as the Dogs are adamant they will not trade.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday said: "He is non-tradeable and we are not stepping away from that".

If the Dogs don't deal, Lake would have to try his luck in the pre-season draft.

If Melbourne did not take him, then Fremantle surely would. There is no timeline on a decision. Lake's future could still be undecided after the trade period.

But the Dogs remain confident they can keep their man.

The Dogs are also confident they will land Barry Hall - even if it is through the draft.

Sydney wants a second-round pick for Hall and the Dogs are only prepared to part with a fourth-round choice.

Bulldogs assistant coach Leon Cameron has re-signed with the club for one year, resisting overtures from Hawthorn.

comrade
26-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I think Lake decided to stay and told the club so. He would have given the other clubs the courtesy of a call to say he's staying where he is.

It's possible that one of the clubs then said, "we'll add another 100 large a year".

No doubt it was Carlton, and they offered it in cash.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 08:33 AM
What sort of spin could he possibly put on it if he were to leave?

EasternWest
26-09-2009, 11:50 AM

If Lake leaves, sure, there'll be a drop down in class, but we'll trade for a developing tall backman from another club and make do with the stopgap. We'll also stop giving up 3 goals a game to Brian's brainfades.

Of course, we'll lose 6 goals when Hargrave is forced to go in a one on one contest with a forward that Lake would usually outmark/compete with. And that's no slight on Shaggy.

Priority number 1 is signing Lake for mine. If they have to up the offer and can afford to do it (and I don't know if they can or not), then do it.

lemmon
26-09-2009, 12:47 PM
What the hell do Carlton think they could offer? Their first pick is gone so I guess Fev it is then

Mofra
26-09-2009, 01:01 PM
What the hell do Carlton think they could offer? Their first pick is gone so I guess Fev it is then
Doesn't matter - we're on record as saying we wont trade out Lake.

lemmon
26-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Doesn't matter - we're on record as saying we wont trade out Lake.

Interesting stance from the club, I'm all for being tough but you've got to wonder when it starts to become stupidity. Sending Lake off to Melbourne or Freo for nothing may be satisfying knowing he's stuck at a no-hoper club but that first round draft pick offered for him could become a superstar.

KT31
26-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Interesting stance from the club, I'm all for being tough but you've got to wonder when it starts to become stupidity. Sending Lake off to Melbourne or Freo for nothing may be satisfying knowing he's stuck at a no-hoper club but that first round draft pick offered for him could become a superstar.

And then in 6 years time that super star decides he wants more money and knows from the trading history of the club that we will make a deal and he can end up at the club of his choice.
At least if we take a stance it might mean other will be weary when deciding to leave the club.

Although free agency will be in by then and it won't matter at all.

KT31
26-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I imagine the club will stop for the weekend, but do the Dogs have a meeting scheduled with Lake on Monday ?

chef
26-09-2009, 03:15 PM

He's contracted until the 31st of October, so if he wants out and we don't trade him, we have a couple of weeks to convince him or he can change his mind, as his options will be Demons or Dogs.

chef
26-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Exactly, we are still going to be a very, very good side if Lake leaves.

IMO i think it's Collingwood who is after him. And if so N.Brown and their first pick should be minimum compensation.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 06:22 PM
exactly, we are still going to be a very, very good side if lake leaves.

Imo i think it's collingwood who is after him. And if so n.brown and their first pick should be minimum compensation.

you idiot!

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 06:25 PM
he's contracted until the 31st of october, so if he wants out and we don't trade him, we have a couple of weeks to convince him or he can change his mind, as his options will be demons or dogs.

now that's a good call chef

chef
26-09-2009, 07:23 PM
you idiot!

Thanks for your input:rolleyes:

lemmon
26-09-2009, 08:34 PM
He's contracted until the 31st of October, so if he wants out and we don't trade him, we have a couple of weeks to convince him or he can change his mind, as his options will be Demons or Dogs.

Not sure how he would be seen around the group if thats the only reason he stayed and how he would perform when his heart isn't in the place.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 09:39 PM
To summarise the reasons Brian Lake has not signed a contract yet:

- He wants more money
- His missus could have some influence
- He's not getting along with Rocket
- His manager wants the whole hoopla of Grand Final and Barry Hall wanting to join the dogs to die off, so Lake can have all the publicity,
- With the "new" cash flow the doggies will be receiving from the new deal with Etihad Stadium, Lake wants to see if the doggies will increase their offer.
- Rival clubs have increased their offer and Lake wants to see if the doggies will match it.

Anything else?

AndrewP6
26-09-2009, 09:58 PM
To summarise the reasons Brian Lake has not signed a contract yet:

- He wants more money
- His missus could have some influence
- He's not getting along with Rocket
- His manager wants the whole hoopla of Grand Final and Barry Hall wanting to join the dogs to die off, so Lake can have all the publicity,
- With the "new" cash flow the doggies will be receiving from the new deal with Etihad Stadium, Lake wants to see if the doggies will increase their offer.
- Rival clubs have increased their offer and Lake wants to see if the doggies will match it.

Anything else?

I'm sure global warming and the GFC have something to do with it. :)

Scraggers
26-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm sure global warming and the GFC have something to do with it. :)

Geelong Football Club
Granny's Fried Chicken
Golden Fried Chips
(Can you tell its dinner time over here)
Global Forrestry Coalition
Grace Fellowship Church
Gaelic Football Champions (County Kerry - for Tadhg Kennelly)
Girl's for Change
Guyana Freedom Cause
Geodesy Foundation Classes
Global Financial Crisis

No wonder he hasn't signed yet ... so much weighing on his mind

KT31
26-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Geelong Football Club
Granny's Fried Chicken
Golden Fried Chips
(Can you tell its dinner time over here)
Global Forrestry Coalition
Grace Fellowship Church
Gaelic Football Champions (County Kerry - for Tadhg Kennelly)
Girl's for Change
Guyana Freedom Cause
Geodesy Foundation Classes
Global Financial Crisis

No wonder he hasn't signed yet ... so much weighing on his mind

Got Finals Cup.

Great Finals Campaign.

Keepa Movin' Griff
27-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I agree Lemmon, this could have a major impact on the group. From posts written on here regarding Lake we go from a premiership contender if he signs, to struggling to make the eight if he doesn't, that doesn't bode very well for our club regardless! How about this option.

Sign Lakey up for whatever he wants 'within reason' for the 4 years, but HEAVILY weighted to the final 2years when he will be on the Veterans list :rolleyes: (you'll see why i'm winking later). Presumably our Premiersip window is in the next one to two seasons, so we really need him for those.

After next season or the season after talk to GC regarding trading Lake for early Draft Picks, GC will want to make an early impression so need some experienced players for their initial seasons especially a KP defender. And due to their immense bank balance and salary cap leverage, will be able to pay greedy Lake higher for his his services then even the inflated value of his final 2 years with us.

Results being;
- We keep Lake for the next 1-2 years 'premiership window' at a reasonable rate of $$$
- We flog him off before his final two seasons (where we would have paid inflated $$$)
- We get 1 or 2 early draft choices for him, as we build to our next premiership assault.
- If GC aren't interested, his final years only count for 50% in the cap anyway.

What do we think?

Bulldog4life
27-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Maybe it is not the money. Just thinking from outside the square. Lake, Cooney, Eagleton and their wives are in a joint business venture running Kidz Play Shak in Altona.
All partners and their wives are close I believe so maybe just maybe Lakey being a good mate wants the Club to sign up Eagleton.

As I said just another theory from left field.

Mantis
27-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Maybe it is not the money. Just thinking from outside the square. Lake, Cooney, Eagleton and their wives are in a joint business venture running Kidz Play Shak in Altona.
All partners and their wives are close I believe so maybe just maybe Lakey being a good mate wants the Club to sign up Eagleton.

As I said just another theory from left field.

I read somewhere a while back that this business was really struggling.

Bulldog4life
27-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I read somewhere a while back that this business was really struggling.

Another reason why Brian might be looking for the extra $'s.:)

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I still believe Brian Lake will sign up with the doggies this week.

Will be release at the B&F 03/10/09 when Brian will the it again.

I sure do hope so.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 07:18 AM
my spelling and grammar sucks.

Desipura
28-09-2009, 08:24 AM

I have been there a number of times with my daughter, a very good place to take the kids on a rainy day, not as loud as some play centres.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Of course, we'll lose 6 goals when Hargrave is forced to go in a one on one contest with a forward that Lake would usually outmark/compete with. And that's no slight on Shaggy.

Since when has Hargrave been the second tall? It would be Tommygun or Boumann or some other such gorilla type that we trade in to cover for the loss of Brian. Shaggy will continue on his merry way playing on the guys he normally plays on.

Bulldog4life
28-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I have been there a number of times with my daughter, a very good place to take the kids on a rainy day, not as loud as some play centres.

Just found out last night that a good friend of our family also has been there a number of times with her kids and speaks very highly of it too.
Heres hoping we can read some positive news on Brian soon.

Desipura
28-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Just found out last night that a good friend of our family also has been there a number of times with her kids and speaks very highly of it too.
Heres hoping we can read some positive news on Brian soon.
Perhaps we can make up a big sign and drape it against the window of the playcentre?;)

chef
28-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Perhaps we can make up a big sign and drape it against the window of the playcentre?;)

Maybe 21 prelim players could visit him during the week and ask if the extra cash is worth killing their premiership hopes next season.

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Since when has Hargrave been the second tall? It would be Tommygun or Boumann or some other such gorilla type that we trade in to cover for the loss of Brian. Shaggy will continue on his merry way playing on the guys he normally plays on.

You've got a short memory if you only remember Shaggy fighting in his weight category. That poor guy has spent plenty of time grabbing Riewoldt, Kosi, Richo, Petrie et al by the arms and giving away frees. I remain unconvinced on Williams, and Boumann hasn't played a senior game yet (though I confess to being unsure of his current readiness).

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 10:32 AM
You've got a short memory if you only remember Shaggy fighting in his weight category. That poor guy has spent plenty of time grabbing Riewoldt, Kosi, Richo, Petrie et al by the arms and giving away frees. I remain unconvinced on Williams, and Boumann hasn't played a senior game yet (though I confess to being unsure of his current readiness).

We all remember Shaggy being monstered, and it is now an established fact that he should never play on talls. If we know this, I'm sure Rocket does too.

I think we would be playing Cam Wight back on a tall before we put Shaggy up against Riewoldt or Richo ever again.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 12:17 PM
He will sign... Go into the draft and go to Melbourne... Brian can't be that stupid

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 03:00 PM
We all remember Shaggy being monstered, and it is now an established fact that he should never play on talls. If we know this, I'm sure Rocket does too.

I think we would be playing Cam Wight back on a tall before we put Shaggy up against Riewoldt or Richo ever again.

Fair enough.

LostDoggy
29-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I hear he wants an extra $100,000?

Desipura
29-09-2009, 12:35 PM
already stated in another thread

LostDoggy
29-09-2009, 12:38 PM

per year?

Topdog
29-09-2009, 12:42 PM
over 4 marcov. Basically that to Brian would equate to $10,000 per year (tax, management fees)

LostDoggy
29-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Cant we find Mrs Lake a job at Whitton over or at our new developments Like Mrs Judd

Mofra
29-09-2009, 01:00 PM
over 4 marcov. Basically that to Brian would equate to $10,000 per year (tax, management fees)
$100k over 4 years? Source?

That'd be easy to find I would have thought, via either the existing cap or "other sources"

Topdog
29-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Heard it numerous times in several places and think it was in a newspaper. You'd think it is very easy but if the Dogs matched him last time and then he suddenly increased it why would they believe him this time?

FrediKanoute
29-09-2009, 06:56 PM
He will sign... Go into the draft and go to Melbourne... Brian can't be that stupid

He's a footballer........

azabob
29-09-2009, 06:56 PM
We cannot be held to ransom by a player regardless of his ability, especially with GC17 and Western Sydney coming in. Not a good precedent to start.

He has only had two outstanding years 2007 and 2009. Was he out of contract at the end of 2007?

I assume it is James Fantasia in dealing with Lakes manager?
If we have offered him 1.8 million over four years, find out why he isn't signing and if its due to money ask him his prefered club and trade him to that club.

Each day he holds out he is losing respect amoungst the Key Stackholders of our club - The Members.

LostDoggy
29-09-2009, 07:01 PM
We cannot be held to ransom by a player regardless of his ability, especially with GC17 and Western Sydney coming in. Not a good precedent to start.

He has only had two outstanding years 2007 and 2009. Was he out of contract at the end of 2007?

I assume it is James Fantasia in dealing with Lakes manager?
If we have offered him 1.8 million over four years, find out why he isn't signing and if its due to money ask him his prefered club and trade him to that club.

Each day he holds out he is losing respect amoungst the Key Stackholders of our club - The Members.

+1

Have spoken to a few Bulldog people, and they feel the same way.