PDA

View Full Version : Robertson worried future not so bright

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Thought i would post this, as he mentioned us.

Posted September 25, 2009

Former Melbourne forward Russell Robertson only rates himself as a slim chance to resume his career with another club.

Robertson was told his contract with the Demons would not be renewed after 13 seasons, a best-and-fairest award and 226 games for the club.

The Tasmanian says he would love to join the Western Bulldogs or Carlton but he is not overly confident he will find a new home.

"At this stage, I would have thought less than 5 per cent [chance of finding another club], purely for the fact that I am 30 and there are two new teams coming into the competition," he said.

"It's the last chance to grab some good young kids before those teams take them all away from them."

Robertson says the Demons will find it tough to retain star midfielder and small forward Aaron Davey.

It comes just days after the club agreed to swap experienced midfielder Brock McLean to Carlton for the 11th pick in the draft.

Robertson says the Demons are in a difficult position with Davey being enticed by other clubs.

"They don't have the money to pay him, they don't like to give out years to guys, too many years, so they really need to check that," he said.

"This getting rid of old guys when they are still OK, I don't really like that as well.

"I am using myself as an example but it's been happening for a few years at Melbourne - Jeff White, Adem Yze - these sorts of guys I think still had plenty of good football left in them and it sort of leaves Melbourne in a very, very precarious position."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/25/2696875.htm

bulldogtragic
25-09-2009, 06:40 PM
We'll take any paid up members who want to join the WBFC.

bornadog
25-09-2009, 10:27 PM
He had his chance to join the dogs but chose to resign with Melbourne, now he wants to weasle back. Too bad, your use by date has expired.

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah didn't we try to get him last year and then Gary Lyon told him to stay with Melbourne and be a one club player? Well sorry Robbo. You can stick to singing the national anthem (horribly), we have big bad bazza hall coming our way now! :)

Swoop
26-09-2009, 10:16 AM
If anything we need to be looking to clear 1 or 2 of the older players on our list not recruit another one. I understand the need to try and make the most of the 'window' of opportunity but sometimes people can place too much emphasis on the 'window' and some people even argue whether the 'window' really exists.

We need to keep an eye on sustained success and continue to look long term and look to constantly develop our players in order to have a constant turnover. There's nothing to say you must fail before you can succeed and sometimes we still need to be aware of this.

GVGjr
26-09-2009, 10:36 AM
If anything we need to be looking to clear 1 or 2 of the older players on our list not recruit another one. I understand the need to try and make the most of the 'window' of opportunity but sometimes people can place too much emphasis on the 'window' and some people even argue whether the 'window' really exists.

We need to keep an eye on sustained success and continue to look long term and look to constantly develop our players in order to have a constant turnover. There's nothing to say you must fail before you can succeed and sometimes we still need to be aware of this.

One of the concerns that I see is that we could lose a lot of players in one season just as we enter the compromised drafts. Could you imagine the impact of losing Johnson, Eagleton, Akermanis, Hudson and maybe Hahn and Hall all in one season?
(I know Hall will sign a two year deal but he's one bad act of being rubbed out for a long time)

I think it's important that Eagleton perhaps join Welsh on the retirees list so that we spread the pain and the impact a bit. I'm not an Eagleton basher either but it makes sense to let him go now.

Adding Robertson would be a silly short sighted thing to do.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Agreed - It was Welsh or Robertson for a two year stint, and Robbo made his call, so that horse has bolted

Sockeye Salmon
26-09-2009, 11:51 AM
One of the concerns that I see is that we could lose a lot of players in one season just as we enter the compromised drafts. Could you imagine the impact of losing Johnson, Eagleton, Akermanis, Hudson and maybe Hahn and Hall all in one season?
(I know Hall will sign a two year deal but he's one bad act of being rubbed out for a long time)

I think it's important that Eagleton perhaps join Welsh on the retirees list so that we spread the pain and the impact a bit. I'm not an Eagleton basher either but it makes sense to let him go now.

2009 - Welsh, Eagleton
2010 - Johnson, Akermanis, perhaps Hudson
2011 - Hall, Hudson, Hahn

KT31
26-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Agree fully.

Injuries.
Not much footy in the last two seasons.
His age.

Robertson has nothing to offer the club.
It would be a huge backward step.
We would be better of bleeding a young bloke.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Agree fully.

Injuries.
Not much footy in the last two seasons.
His age.

Robertson has nothing to offer the club.
It would be a huge backward step.
We would be better of bleeding a young bloke.

Apologies to split hairs but don't you mean 'blooding'. I'm sure if were bleeding a young bloke he may not make it.

KT31
26-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Apologies to split hairs but don't you mean 'blooding'. I'm sure if were bleeding a young bloke he may not make it.

Right you are.

But a few leaches never hurt anyone.

Then again I think Lake has one for a manager.:D

Swoop
26-09-2009, 12:53 PM
No doubt the concern is having so many players over 30, while a player like Hudson, Johnson and Aker are all performing at the minute the game can pass them by so quickly these days. We need the foresight to make a hard call this year with Eagleton in order to ensure we can cover the hole over the next 3 years as opposed to losing 5 or so in one year and leaving a hole.

Neil Craig has been very good in making a hard decision for the greater good, at times there have been no obvious replacement for the people he has let go but he has presented opportunities to his youngsters and put faith their ability and his coaching staffs ability to develop them. Hopefully this is something we can emulate and I think we made the right call in culling Skipper and putting faith in Roughead, Cordy & Everitt to take their chances if they present.

BulldogBelle
26-09-2009, 01:05 PM
With Johno, Hall, Aker, Eagle and Robbo we would be Dads Army

KT31
26-09-2009, 01:21 PM
:D
With Johno, Hall, Aker, Eagle and Robbo we would be Dads Army

Grandads Army.

Remi Moses
26-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Goneski Robbo!