PDA

View Full Version : Port - are they the real deal?

Dry Rot
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Been pretty impressed with what I've seen so far this season - think we'll have a hard time when we play them. Doesn't hurt to have two very good ruckmen, heaps of speed and and at times 3 genuine tall targets.

southerncross
12-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Been pretty impressed with what I've seen so far this season - think we'll have a hard time when we play them. Doesn't hurt to have two very good ruckmen, heaps of speed and and at times 3 genuine tall targets.

They do extremely well at both the draft and trade tables and the appear to be very much the real deal

dog town
13-05-2007, 09:19 AM
It's not a great shock. Mark Williams is an elite coach and is not only good tactically but he is a very good teacher of the game. Brings through his second tier and recruits very well. The only real shock is that they have done that well without a great deal coming from Tredrea (at his best in the top couple of players in the comp) so if anything they have not peaked yet this season. Shaun Burgoyne is an absolute freak and when he is getting service from his ruckmen he is very hard to stop. I like the way they have brought through guys like Chaplin and Pettigrew to play key defence even though Chaplin is not playing at the moment. Ebert has similar skills to Higgins for us but his extra yard of pace makes him a good foil for Ports tall forward.

They just seem to have a very well balanced side right now. I suppose it was not a big rebuild required by Williams given that the core of the side was playing in 2004 but he has done well to bring in 12-14 players in a pretty quick time frame.Just about on a par with us and West Coast for pace too.

GVGjr
13-05-2007, 09:31 AM
They just seem to have a very well balanced side right now. I suppose it was not a big rebuild required by Williams given that the core of the side was playing in 2004 but he has done well to bring in 12-14 players in a pretty quick time frame.Just about on a par with us and West Coast for pace too.

A lot of teams take a few seasons to rebuild the list but the Power basically got straight back on track after one rebuilding year. A real credit to the way the club is managed and coached.

dog town
13-05-2007, 09:41 AM
A lot of teams take a few seasons to rebuild the list but the Power basically got straight back on track after one rebuilding year. A real credit to the way the club is managed and coached. Fairly similar thing going on at Brisbane. I wonder how much the leaders of the two clubs have played a major part in bringing through the new players. When you 7 or 8 senior premiership players in your side I would think any young guys coming into the side would follow those senior players examples. Would be a great deal of respect.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I suggested at the start of the year that Port would be the big mover, and I credit myself with being completely correct! Haha.

They have a great mix, and the scary thing is, they have a lot of good players knocking on the door each week in the SANFL. Tredders will only get better too. Scary.

Port should make the 8, and they still have a lot of hardened bodies, and finals experience in their squad. No reason to think they can't challenge for top 4 spot from this point, although I think they'll probably finish between 5-8 come end of year.

They have the best ruckmen, another who would be a start up ruck at just about any other club in Brogan, and a midfield that is dynamic, skillful and tough. They work hard. Their forward line is excellent, White is a great second tall, plus Lade dropping forward, Ebert as a small marking forward, Krakouer and a few others playing a roving role. Their backline has a bit of power too. Surjan has been very impressive, Thomas looks a player w/o doubt.

westdog54
13-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I'll admit I got Port wrong this year. The big improver for 2007.

I hate being wrong about things.

westdog54
13-05-2007, 12:06 PM
A lot of teams take a few seasons to rebuild the list but the Power basically got straight back on track after one rebuilding year. A real credit to the way the club is managed and coached.

Alan Scott really is wrong!:D

bornadog
14-05-2007, 11:10 AM

me too, but time will tell.

mjp
14-05-2007, 11:33 AM

WD - Do I get to say 'I told you so!' ???

Bulldog Revolution
14-05-2007, 03:17 PM
It's not a great shock. Mark Williams is an elite coach and is not only good tactically but he is a very good teacher of the game. Brings through his second tier and recruits very well. The only real shock is that they have done that well without a great deal coming from Tredrea (at his best in the top couple of players in the comp) so if anything they have not peaked yet this season. Shaun Burgoyne is an absolute freak and when he is getting service from his ruckmen he is very hard to stop. I like the way they have brought through guys like Chaplin and Pettigrew to play key defence even though Chaplin is not playing at the moment. Ebert has similar skills to Higgins for us but his extra yard of pace makes him a good foil for Ports tall forward.

Williams in a clever operator. They hold onto guys they think are talented and give them time to develop. They have had White, Cassisi and Thurstans on their list for years, and have been patient with Chaplin, Surjan, Salopek etc. They also value pieces nobody else wants, Mahoney, Rodan. And the other thing is that their very good players are very very good - the cornes and burgoyne brothers, lade and tredders, perhaps Pearce, Wilson, Brogan and Ebert

Port have basically only had one bad year since they have been in the competition