PDA

View Full Version : If only St Kilda had a tall forward or two

Before I Die
26-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Still bitter and twisted and it is not being helped by all my Bulldog and non-Bulldog supporter mates telling me all week that all we need is a big forward. Premiership teams win premierships, not tall forwards, just ask St Kilda. I am glad we have Barry, if only because I won't hear the tall forward lament as the cause of all our woes for at least next year.

For discussion/prediction.

What will be the "so called experts" criticism of the dogs next year.

My prediction is too short in backline and lack a dangerous, quick small forward. Neither of which I suspect will be the real cause if we do struggle in 2010.

AndrewP6
26-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Too reliant on Hall.

BulldogBelle
26-09-2009, 08:00 PM
not enough mid-sized forwards

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Too reliant on Hall.

I agree with this one.

First it will be we need Hall for our structure, then it will be we focus to much on the tall option.

Before I Die
26-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Now that would be ironic

hujsh
26-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Too reliant on Hall.

I agree with this one.

First it will be we need Hall for our structure, then it will be we focus to much on the tall option.

I think it could actually be possible. Once we see that big imposing figure in our forward 50 the 3-5 forwards with him may be moved to the back of our mids minds a bit.

1eyedog
26-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think this will be an issue. We'll spot up Murphy coming in and then if Hall Aker or Johnno et al can't be pinpointed we'll kick it long to Hall and hope for some tasty crumbs.

EasternWest
26-09-2009, 08:30 PM
not enough mid-sized forwards

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Doc26
26-09-2009, 09:40 PM
No criticism. We've now arrived, well so long as Brian stays my chum. No doubt there will be talk through the year of Aker, Johnno and Eagle re ageing and whether the right call was made in going on. Hopefully they can keep the snipers mouths shut.

Remi Moses
26-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Didn't have Ronji 's avatar playing for them. Wasn't it wonderful to see the german Diver in tears :p:p:pTo many Farren Ray's, Raph Clarke's,Zac Dawson's and that annoying little tosspot Mr September Stephen Milne:

hujsh
26-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Didn't have Ronji 's avatar playing for them. Wasn't it wonderful to see the german Diver in tears :p:p:pTo many Farren Ray's, Raph Clarke's,Zac Dawson's and that annoying little tosspot Mr September Stephen Milne:

He made at least 3 awful mistakes early in the first quarter.

Dawson wasn't too bad though while Farren had no impact.

Remi Moses
27-09-2009, 12:25 AM
He made at least 3 awful mistakes early in the first quarter.

Dawson wasn't too bad though while Farren had no impact.

Farren must have checked his calendar hence the performance.

Sedat
27-09-2009, 12:39 AM
The likes of Clarke and Dawson are soft targets. What exactly has Kosi done the entire finals series? No impact against the Pies, got a pasting from Lake last week and spent the best part of 2 hours today basically falling over in the contest.

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 12:42 AM
The likes of Clarke and Dawson are soft targets. What exactly has Kosi done the entire finals series? No impact against the Pies, got a pasting from Lake last week and spent the best part of 2 hours today basically falling over in the contest.

Agreed..

Topdog
27-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Kosi is an easy target too. He really is unbelievably over-rated.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Clarke, Ray, Milne, Kosi and their rucks were very poor. Dawson was hot and cold.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Kosi is poo. Really is.

St Kilda will not won Grand Finals until the have big forwards (of the ilk of Mooney).

GVGjr
27-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Kosi is poo. Really is.

I disagree. The media have overly hyped him but he does play some good football. I'd certainly rather him in our forward line changing in the ruck than Minson.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I disagree. The media have overly hyped him but he does play some good football. I'd certainly rather him in our forward line changing in the ruck than Minson.
That is my point GVGjr, compared to expectation of course. But against very good FB's in Lake and Scarlett he has been relegated to the status of witches hat in the two biggest games of the year. Not good enough from a Aints perspective I would have thought.

But he was alone Ray, the tip rat and Scneider all showed their true colours in both thye pre-lim and GF. And Raph who may get hunted down and lynched by his own if the crowd comments were anything to go by.

GVGjr
27-09-2009, 10:11 AM
That is my point GVGjr, compared to expectation of course. But against very good FB's in Lake and Scarlett he has been relegated to the status of witches hat in the two biggest games of the year. Not good enough from a Aints perspective I would have thought.

It's the Kosi is poo comment that threw me. He isn't poo, just not the star that the media tends to think he is.
By the way, a lot of good footballers have struggled when Lake and Scarlett have matched up on them so there is no shame in that.
On the little that I say yesterday, Scarlett was once again terrific for them.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 10:16 AM
It's the Kosi is poo comment that threw me. He isn't poo, just not the star that the media tends to think he is.
By the way, a lot of good footballers have struggled when Lake and Scarlett have matched up on them so there is no shame in that.
On the little that I say yesterday, Scarlett was once again terrific for them.
Well, Kosi was very poor for two weeks and that manifested itself in comments i usualy don't like to make, and should probably have better exercised my vocabulary a little better. But what good are a pack of flat track bullies who don't perform on the big stage?

If Kosi cannot compete with the leagues best FB's, then it's a given he wont perform in the big games. Seems a player of false economy here. WIll help slaughter Richmonf and Freo but wont be seen for the pre-lim and GF. Same with the others I mentioned. For all Ray's hype this year, he didn't look like it for two weeks. And Schneider and the tip rat are dead set liabilities with semi decent opponents. I don't think it's easy enough to say he had good opponents though.

craigsahibee
27-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Just on the tip rat. Did any one see him go down in the first quarter holding his head after receiving contact to the the body from Ling. Absolutely disgraceful. Then minutes later Schneider clutched at his back after Scarlett brushed past him in a marking contest. It would be unjust if the tip rat was able to play in a premiership side. Hopefully he plays his whole career at Moorabbin and doesn't get the chance again.

TCD - just read your post on the "Demonstrative Abuse" thread.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Just on the tip rat. Did any one see him go down in the first quarter holding his head after receiving contact to the the body from Ling. Absolutely disgraceful. Then minutes later Schneider clutched at his back after Scarlett brushed past him in a marking contest. It would be unjust if the tip rat was able to play in a premiership side. Hopefully he plays his whole career at Moorabbin and doesn't get the chance again.

TCD - just read your post on the "Demonstrative Abuse" thread.

After St Nicks dive last week and some of the antics yesterday I have lost a lot of respect for the saints as a team, despite their 'Glorious' H/A season they have really shown a very poor side of their game.

The Pie Man
27-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Likewise - with the rucks St Kilda have I guess they pick themselves, but especially in the wet I thought they looked a bit top heavy. If Kosi isn't having an impact at FF, throw him in the ruck for a bit....but with Gardiner & King already there, it doesn't happen.

Seeing how little impact the bigs had yesterday from both teams, I spent most of the day bleeding we weren't there - conditions would've suited us IMO :(

BulldogBelle
27-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Farren must have checked his calendar hence the performance.

It was possibly that time of the month for Sharron Ray

macca
27-09-2009, 02:31 PM

But he was alone Ray, the tip rat and Scneider all showed their true colours in both thye pre-lim and GF. And Raph who may get hunted down and lynched by his own if the crowd comments were anything to go by.

Ralph Clark got burnt by Shannon byrnes in the last quater, 3 times, resulting in 3 inside 50s for Geelong. He played a good game against us in the prelim, but we now know he is slow.

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Did I read in today's H-S that the Saints will look to draft ANOTHER tall forward? Are they trying to form a basketball team? Or do they realise Kosi is overrated?

ledge
27-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I find it amazing we are told we need a forward but 3 of the 4 teams left only one had a really decent tall forward and they still didnt win it!

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I find it amazing we are told we need a forward but 3 of the 4 teams left only one had a really decent tall forward and they still didnt win it!

Geelong - Mooney & Hawkins are good options. Mooney always presents and contests. He's no superstar but he's very handy for Geelong in terms of structure. Hawkins has improved a lot in the second half of the season too. They're both decent and I'd love either one of them.

Saints - Agree that Kosi is very overrated. Rarely impacts a game at all and I can't understand the fascination with him. The commentators seem to think he's a good kick; I disagree. He at least gives them structure and in a sense can free up/take pressure off Riewoldt.

Collingwood - Cloke has been ordinary for two seasons but I still think he's got something to work with. Anthony's a good second/third option. I am suprised they didn't try Brown in a KPF role more often. I think he's a pretty good player but didn't play a whole lot this year.

Whilst most of them are not superstars, they all add/contribute something to the side. It certainly gives them an advantage over a side like ours. There's no doubt we need to find 2 KPF options ASAP. Hopefully Hall + one of Grant/Cordy/Jones/Roughead can stand up next year.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Did I read in today's H-S that the Saints will look to draft ANOTHER tall forward? Are they trying to form a basketball team? Or do they realise Kosi is overrated?

Yeah that was weird! Why not get another two or three?
:rolleyes:

macca
28-09-2009, 12:24 AM
After St Nicks dive last week and some of the antics yesterday I have lost a lot of respect for the saints as a team, despite their 'Glorious' H/A season they have really shown a very poor side of their game.

I would like to know how many out of play free kicks the saints get. Riewoldt's dive was a disgrace, and once again proves he is a sook. At least he had a legitmate reason to cry when they lost!. Milburn's free, its crap. Why don't they just get on with the game. How many soft frees can they give the sainters ?