PDA

View Full Version : Farren Ray?

ReLoad
27-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, whilst i was dissapointed last year in losing Farren, (somewhat compensated by the fact we have a lot of "similar" players of his type) After watching the grand final on saturday i must thank the club, and congratulate them on a very astute decision.

Apart from the final against the magpies a few years back now, has he ever really been anything more than a bit part player? i mean look at his awful disposal, shocking to say the least.

Needless to say, well done WBFC, you dont get contratulated often on your trades/drafting, but in this instance, you got it right!

Cheers

Ryan
PS My first post, hope im not being too much of a goof!

1eyedog
27-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi there Reload, I tend to agree with you in most instances, although I am still put out that Farren cost us such a high pick even though it was a very shallow draft. I always hoped Farren would be something and it irked me that he had a really good season at St. Kilda. His Grand Final yesterday showed that he does not stand up in important matches but I am not too sure we have an abundance of similar players left at our club. Most of our running mids are inside players as well as when Eagle goes we really wont have a lot of players who know where to run to create space. I thought (despite his flaws) Farren did this very well. I miss Farren a bit, but I'm glad he had a shocker yesterday.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ray walked out, whilst we wanted to keep.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Sockeye Salmon
27-09-2009, 11:22 AM
From the player review in this mornings HS

"Farren Ray - Started about as soft as the Jersey Boys' version of the national anthem, taking some short steps at a high ball. Was rarely sighted from then on."

Ouch.

The Underdog
27-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, whilst i was dissapointed last year in losing Farren, (somewhat compensated by the fact we have a lot of "similar" players of his type) After watching the grand final on saturday i must thank the club, and congratulate them on a very astute decision.

Apart from the final against the magpies a few years back now, has he ever really been anything more than a bit part player? i mean look at his awful disposal, shocking to say the least.

Needless to say, well done WBFC, you dont get contratulated often on your trades/drafting, but in this instance, you got it right!

Cheers

Ryan
PS My first post, hope im not being too much of a goof!

I think you'll find that ideally the club wanted to hold onto him. It was his decision to leave so we essentially accomodated that decision. If anything it was an astute decision by Farren which worked out pretty well for him. Although I don't think it was that great a loss for us in the end. I think he still would have been on the periphery for us.
Oh and welcome to WOOF, hope you enjoy it. If you are being too much of a goof don't worry, you'll probably get told ;)

GVGjr
27-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Ray walked out, whilst we wanted to keep.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Whilst that is true enough, Ray knew that he was somewhat out of favor with the coach and had the confidence to try his luck elsewhere.
Given our salary cap issues, it probably helped the club out in the end.

Mofra
27-09-2009, 11:23 AM

"Farren Ray - Started about as soft as the Jersey Boys' version of the national anthem, taking some short steps at a high ball. Was rarely sighted from then on."

Ouch.
"Ouch" would have been the hits his teamates copped from every single one of his hospital passes.
I miss his run & carry, but not his delivery at the end of it.

Topdog
27-09-2009, 11:24 AM
To be fair to Ray, I think we wanted to keep him as a club.

Personally I wasn't worried at all that he left and he put in 2 of the worst performances in the prelim and GF.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Ouch.

Geez, poor guy.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Whilst that is true enough, Ray knew that he was somewhat out of favor with the coach and had the confidence to try his luck elsewhere.
Given our salary cap issues, it probably helped the club out in the end.
Maybe, but the thread starting post isn't factual. That was my only point. Besides i love young Liam so i'm happy.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Ouch.
My god. I think Lyon will have that posted up on his locker over the pre-season. That's about as cutting a comment as i've heard in recent times. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Sharron Ray played like his name suggested yesterday

Apology to all the Sharron's out there

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 01:54 PM
11 possessions, 64% efficiency rate.

Not what you want from someone in a GF.

1eyedog
27-09-2009, 02:13 PM
11 possessions, 64% efficiency rate.

Not what you want from someone in a GF.

Not at all. The problem I always had with Farren was that while he creates space, against good opposition who close that space down, Farren struggles. He is very very suspect under pressure. I'll go further than that, he looks like a country footballer in the big time under pressure. As I said, I miss aspects of Farren, but I think those aspects are related to what type of footballer I wanted and hoped him to be rather than the reality of what he was.

ratsmac
27-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm glad he has gone because I no longer care that he'll never reach his potential. I thought he was going to be a 1st class midfielder after that Collingwood final and he never played that good ever again. He is Stkilda's problem now!!!

mighty_west
27-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Ross Lyon made a good speach last night in front of their supporters, about players not wanting to take the next step, they will be tossed out of the club basically, and players that don't go hard, same thing, Fumbling Farren was definatly not hard at it and didn't go when it was his time to go, he will always be just a link up player!

And a soft one at that.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 04:58 PM
"Ouch" would have been the hits his teamates copped from every single one of his hospital passes.
I miss his run & carry, but not his delivery at the end of it.

Ray makes terrible decisions and his kicking is substandard. He's a good athlete, but unless he can find some way to improve in those two areas his time at the top will be short.

Remi Moses
27-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I said it last year and I'll say it again in the 3 biggest games of farren's career he has played poorly.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Ray makes terrible decisions and his kicking is substandard. He's a good athlete, but unless he can find some way to improve in those two areas his time at the top will be short.

I think a little harsh - he's not the first player to struggle under the big lights, and has had an awesome year. I remember dipper struggling early in his career in GF's and big games, and then became a much better player later on (completely style of player I know).

Although of little relevance he seems to be quite a nice fella, with Bob Murphy (perhaps generously) hoping/tipping to be norm yesterday on before the game. I don't wish him any ill-will and would have still liked him on our list this year. Not the first and won't be the last bloke to leave for new (and not necessarily better) pastures

Remi Moses
Ross Lyon made a good speach last night in front of their supporters, about players not wanting to take the next step, they will be tossed out of the club basically, and players that don't go hard, same thing, Fumbling Farren was definatly not hard at it and didn't go when it was his time to go, he will always be just a link up player!

And a soft one at that.

Judging by that theory it's staggering that Stkilda are allegedly interested in Jordan Mcmahon:eek::eek:

bulldogtragic
I just hope Farren doesn't get bad feedback or he might crack it and leave.

Remi Moses
27-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I think a little harsh - he's not the first player to struggle under the big lights, and has had an awesome year. I remember dipper struggling early in his career in GF's and big games, and then became a much better player later on (completely style of player I know).

Although of little relevance he seems to be quite a nice fella, with Bob Murphy (perhaps generously) hoping/tipping to be norm yesterday on before the game. I don't wish him any ill-will and would have still liked him on our list this year. Not the first and won't be the last bloke to leave for new (and not necessarily better) pastures

Nobody wishes him any ill-will just stating the facts that Ray has struggled in the really BIG games. Stephen Milne is another one who tirns his toes up in the really BIG GAMES

Remi Moses
27-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Geez, poor guy.

I'm just wondering if the Saints fans who thanked us for Farren have the testicular fortitude to get back on hte airwaves

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 06:49 PM
A) I think a little harsh - he's not the first player to struggle under the big lights, and has had an awesome year. I remember dipper struggling early in his career in GF's and big games, and then became a much better player later on (completely style of player I know).

Although of little relevance he B) seems to be quite a nice fella, with Bob Murphy (perhaps generously) hoping/tipping to be norm yesterday on before the game. I don't wish him any ill-will and would C) have still liked him on our list this year. Not the first and won't be the last bloke to leave for new (and not necessarily better) pastures

A) He's had a decent year in a great team. Let's not pump his tyres up too much. You'll note when he plays for the Saints he always handballs to a better user of the ball (which makes sense). The Saints clearly know his strength is fitness and acquisition is no problem. Likewise, they know his disposal is woeful and want him to get it to Dal, Goddard, Fisher etc.

B) Agreed. As a bloke, don't really have a problem with him. Though the circumstances of his departure were grubby, I'd be more likely to pin that on Olarenshaw, who is a sooky little grub (I know him by association).

C) You're on your own there.

anfo27
27-09-2009, 06:50 PM
It makes me laugh when i think of all the saints fans ringing SEN all season and thanking the dogs for Farren Ray.
Told a good mate who follows the saints that Ray was a good pick up for you guys & will give you plenty of run but can't kick. He wasn't happy with the trade but half way through the year was thanking the dogs for the trade.
Was crap in the last 2 games and proved nothing has changed. Just hope Jones turns out to be a find or was that Roughie we got for him?

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I just hope Farren doesn't get bad feedback or he might crack it and leave.

:D ... Gold.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Farren has had a pretty good year at the Saints however I feel we will get plenty from Jared Roughead who we got from the 31 selection.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Farren has had a pretty good year at the Saints however I feel we will get plenty from Jared Roughead who we got from the 31 selection.

Spot on.

Oh yeah, Jordan that is!

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 08:44 PM
That'd be Jordan Roughead.
Jarryd is the one that plays for the other brown and yellow team.

Desipura
28-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like your Avatar

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Sounds like your Avatar

Ouch!

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Sounds like your Avatar

Hey, at least DFA is f***ing hard and will never shirk a contest, which is more than any of us can say for Farrenitis.

Desipura
28-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey, at least DFA is f***ing hard and will never shirk a contest, which is more than any of us can say for Farrenitis.
Agree on the above.

donnan
28-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Agree, there are some very tough calls on Farren here...I myself have wished him well this year...not so bad to leave a successful team (the dogs) and end up in the most successful team of the Home & Away season...and a few more straight kicks and they could have gone all the way...

Farren spent 5 years ish with the dogs and as far as I understand was a pretty good kid during his time with us...he could see the writing on the wall...how many more opportunities was he going to get in our side? Is that Farrens fault that we had so many (too many?) smalls?

macca
28-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Agree, there are some very tough calls on Farren here...I myself have wished him well this year...not so bad to leave a successful team (the dogs) and end up in the most successful team of the Home & Away season...and a few more straight kicks and they could have gone all the way...

Farren spent 5 years ish with the dogs and as far as I understand was a pretty good kid during his time with us...he could see the writing on the wall...how many more opportunities was he going to get in our side? Is that Farrens fault that we had so many (too many?) smalls?

There is always a spud that is luck enough to play in a Granny. Travis varcoes is Geelong's clanger king, he is lucky enough to win a Premiership. Ray's disposal is poo. Justin murphy is another comes to mind. the list could go on and on. Ralph clarke is up there as well. Wojinksi is also a choker.

azabob
24-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Ironically Farren Ray plays his 200th game this week.

bornadog
24-06-2015, 02:32 PM

He has done well to reach 200, play in many finals including the grand final. Hasn't won any accolades but has been a good consistent player.

craigsahibee
24-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Is he still playing?

hujsh
24-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Why is it ironic?

jeemak
24-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Why is it ironic?

Has aza been listening to too much Alanis?

:)

The Underdog
24-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Why is it ironic?

I'd suggest its because he's playing it against us.

Twodogs
24-06-2015, 05:22 PM
He must be close to the most games played out if the top ten if his draft year? Cooney has 200, who else?

hotdog
24-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Always like Faz. Good on him for reaching the 200 game milestone. I wish him all the best.

bornadog
24-06-2015, 05:31 PM
He must be close to the most games played out if the top ten if his draft year? Cooney has 200, who else?

Brent Stanton - 237
David Munday - 221
Jed Adcock - 195
Heath Shaw - 203
Sam Fisher - 206

and Rischitelli on 189, Andrew Walker on 186

Bulldog Joe
24-06-2015, 05:34 PM

From 2003
Cooney Pick 1 226 games
Walker pick 2 186 games

and Ray are the only players still going.

Further into the draft

Stanton pick 13 with 237 games (most of any player from that draft)
Chaplin pick 15 with 195 games
Mundy pick 19 with 221 games
Butler pick 20 with 130

are the only 8 players still in the game from the top 20.

There are only a 7 others from the entire draft still active.

In hindsight it was not a great draft.

Greystache
24-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Brent Stanton also holds the "honour" of having played 237 games and never playing in a winning final. And no he's never missed one through injury or suspension!

Remi Moses
24-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Been a decent career ( not a great disposer) been better for them than us.
Certainly hasn't lived up to the pick 4 mantle

bulldogtragic
24-06-2015, 06:34 PM
I recall commentators calling him a Robbie Flower clone. I still don't like how his manager and he forced the trade, but absolute spuds don't play 200 games usually. So theres that.

Twodogs
24-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Brent Stanton - 237
David Munday - 221
Jed Adcock - 195
Heath Shaw - 203
Sam Fisher - 206

and Rischitelli on 189, Andrew Walker on 186

From 2003
Cooney Pick 1 226 games
Walker pick 2 186 games

and Ray are the only players still going.

Further into the draft

Stanton pick 13 with 237 games (most of any player from that draft)
Chaplin pick 15 with 195 games
Mundy pick 19 with 221 games
Butler pick 20 with 130

are the only 8 players still in the game from the top 20.

There are only a 7 others from the entire draft still active.

In hindsight it was not a great draft.

I didn't realise that Stanton had played so many games. Wow.

Mundy and Cooney would be the pick of that draft.

ratsmac
24-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Good on Farren!

jeemak
24-06-2015, 10:20 PM
I recall commentators calling him a Robbie Flower clone. I still don't like how his manager and he forced the trade, but absolute spuds don't play 200 games usually. So theres that.

It was at a time when our coach had a reputation for not suiting certain types of players, and I think there are two distinct cases at the time where players moved along because of managers capitalising on it.

Dancin' Douggy
24-06-2015, 10:27 PM
I'd like a stat for most games played for the least brownlow votes / lowest best and fairest ratings on average over a career.
I reckon Farren might be in the upper echelons of such a list.
(not that there's anything WRONG with that)

hujsh
24-06-2015, 10:33 PM
I'd like a stat for most games played for the least brownlow votes / lowest best and fairest ratings on average over a career.
That'd be a great couple of stats for the eker thread

Twodogs
24-06-2015, 10:36 PM

I think Mearve Keane played 200+ games for 1 brownlow vote.

Twodogs
24-06-2015, 10:37 PM
EJ never polled well either. I think fourth was his best effort.

westdog54
24-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I think Mearve Keane played 200+ games for 1 brownlow vote.

Jason Blake polled 2 votes in his 194th game.

Didn't add to it and retired after 219 games.

jeemak
24-06-2015, 11:30 PM
EJ never polled well either. I think fourth was his best effort.

Underachiever.

bornadog
24-06-2015, 11:30 PM
It was at a time when our coach had a reputation for not suiting certain types of players, and I think there are two distinct cases at the time where players moved along because of managers capitalising on it.

Talking to Rocket at the time he said during negotiations for a new contract Ray asked for a lot of money and the club told him they weren't prepared to pay that much. He was a wanted player but not for the dollars he was asking for.

jeemak
24-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Talking to Rocket at the time he said during negotiations for a new contract Ray asked for a lot of money and the club told him they weren't prepared to pay that much. He was a wanted player but not for the dollars he was asking for.

From what I can understand it wasn't quite as simple as that, though I don't have a horses mouth perspective.

It was intimated to me that Ray was probably thinking he deserved more respect, opportunity and money to reflect his market value but it wasn't coming his way. My comment was basically suggesting that he and Everitt had managers in their ears telling them what they should be achieving from a playing and earning perspective, and Rocket's perceived attitude towards them at the time was the catalyst for them to have the conversation outside of the club.

I'm not saying it's true. Just what I've heard over the years.

bornadog
24-06-2015, 11:40 PM
From what I can understand it wasn't quite as simple as that, though I don't have a horses mouth perspective.

It was intimated to me that Ray was probably thinking he deserved more respect, opportunity and money to reflect his market value but it wasn't coming his way. My comment was basically suggesting that he and Everitt had managers in their ears telling them what they should be achieving from a playing and earning perspective, and Rocket's perceived attitude towards them at the time was the catalyst for them to have the conversation outside of the club.

I'm not saying it's true. Just what I've heard over the years.

I think that is pretty close to the truth. I did simplify it a bit.

comrade
25-06-2015, 08:30 AM
I think our position on both players was justified at the time and has been proven right since then.

Go_Dogs
25-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I think our position on both players was justified at the time and has been proven right since then.

I'd take Everitt back, but you're right. We haven't missed out significantly, or even at all, by virtue of them leaving.

Greystache
28-06-2015, 05:44 PM
You had to laugh at St Kilda's banner last night

Congratulations Farren Ray 200 "solid" games. Solid was the closest they could bring themselves to complimenting him :D

bulldogtragic
28-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Congratulations Farren Ray 200 "solid" games. Solid was the closest they could bring themselves to complimenting him :D

Ouch... That's barely an upgrade of my '200 games means he's not a complete spud' summation...

jeemak
28-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Why couuldn't they just say "AFL Games"?

Doc26
28-06-2015, 07:34 PM

We were commenting on the same thing at the game last night. Felt very underwhelming, like thanks for being determined. At the half time break a Saints media chap was interviewing his father on the ground for the pro Saints crowd. His first question to his father was for a highlight of Farren's career. The father, obviously very proud of his son, asked if he could recall a few special moments which the media guy politely responded and said to his father, no, one will be enough.

LostDoggy
28-06-2015, 07:48 PM

At least they spelt theirs correctly.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Wow, it's unbelievable that the banner said 'solid' and the media guy said 'one is enough'. I know he isn't a gun, but seriously, some respect for a guy who has given his all for the club.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2015, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't want him now but he has has deserved to get to 200 games.

Ozza
29-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Seems like Farren has been a popular player (amongst the players) at both clubs he has been at - and a good team man on the ground. But I must say, I felt very comfortable whenever he had the footy against us on Saturday night. Just seems to wait and wait until the moment is just right to put the next bloke under the pump.

Credit to him though - he played very well in a grand final, and had a few solid seasons (hence the 'solid games' on his banner!).