PDA

View Full Version : Small Forward

The Doctor
01-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I read in a recent newspaper article (sorry can't find the link) that we were interested in recruiting a small forward. I think the quote came from James Fantasia.

That came as a bit of a surprise given all our forwards are small. So I wonder if the Dogs have someone specific in mind or a certain style of player in mind, ie crumber. Could it mean someone like Lewis Jetta is on our radar at the draft?

What could that also mean for our fringe small forwards like Stack, Hill, Lynch etc.

Intriguing!

GVGjr
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I read in a recent newspaper article (sorry can't find the link) that we were interested in recruiting a small forward. I think the quote came from James Fantasia.

That came as a bit of a surprise given all our forwards are small. So I wonder if the Dogs have someone specific in mind or a certain style of player in mind, ie crumber. Could it mean someone like Lewis Jetta is on our radar at the draft?

What could that also mean for our fringe small forwards like Stack, Hill, Lynch etc.

Intriguing!

I actually view Jetta more as a wingman than as a small crumbing forward but he would probably easily adapt to that position. Typically we haven't used our first round picks on top aged or slightly older players like Jetta but this year we could be changing our focus a fair bit.

Stack and Hill are probably better classed as more of the mid sized forwards but Lynch is very much a small forward at the moment.

bornadog
01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I actually view Jetta more as a wingman than as a small crumbing forward but he would probably easily adapt to that position. Typically we haven't used our first round picks on top aged or slightly older players like Jetta but this year we could be changing our focus a fair bit.

Stack and Hill are probably better classed as more of the mid sized forwards but Lynch is very much a small forward at the moment.

Do you think we will keep Lynch? I guess Fantasia is looking at the future with Aker, Johnno now well into their 30's

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Not sure why clubs go after 'small' forwards necessarily. Why not go after a mid sized forward as they have the same if not better chance of crumbing the ball (not losing any pace from 175 cm to 185cm) and a greater chance in an aerial contest?

lemmon
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Not sure why clubs go after 'small' forwards necessarily. Why not go after a mid sized forward as they have the same if not better chance of crumbing the ball (not losing any pace from 175 cm to 185cm) and a greater chance in an aerial contest?

Mid sized forwards with the acceleration of an Alwyn Davey or a Cyril Rioli are incredibly rare.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Do you think we will keep Lynch? I guess Fantasia is looking at the future with Aker, Johnno now well into their 30's

I think a shallow draft really helps his cause.

I would have liked us to de-list him and then give him a spot on our rookie list spot to punish him for being so lazy but with the weakened draft, that would a cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of thing to do.

I'd keep him on a minimum contract.

GVGjr
01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I think a shallow draft really helps his cause.

I would have liked us to de-list him and then give him a spot on our rookie list spot to punish him for being so lazy but with the weakened draft, that would a cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of thing to do.

I'd keep him on a minimum contract.

Why reward average performances with an extra season?
We can use the argument that most current players on the list would be better than most late draft picks every year.
I don't really care if he stays or is given the flick but I think the lack of depth in the draft reasoning that's being applied just isn't right.

He will probably stay but on form and attitude I don't think he should.

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I would argue that somebody of Chris Judd's stature would be just as fast and agile as Cyril Rioli, just that carlton prefer to play him in the midfield. Not to mention how much more damaging he would be as a forward.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Why reward average performances with an extra season?
We can use the argument that most current players on the list would be better than most late draft picks every year.
I don't really care if he stays or is given the flick but I think the lack of depth in the draft reasoning that's being applied just isn't right.

He will probably stay but on form and attitude I don't think he should.

Fair enough call mate. I really should tag my shallow draft calls with a "correct me if I'm wrong line" to TAC/Under 18's watchers because I am completely unqualified to make a decent call on the depth of the draft.

Lynch's attitude has been awful and I really don't like the message that keeping him on the list would send. Be lazy for a couple of years then pull out a decent couple of games at the end and still survive.

GVGjr
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Fair enough call mate. I really should tag my shallow draft calls with a "correct me if I'm wrong line" to TAC/Under 18's watchers because I am completely unqualified to make a decent call on the depth of the draft.

Lynch's attitude has been awful and I really don't like the message that keeping him on the list would send. Be lazy for a couple of years then pull out a decent couple of games at the end and still survive.

I don't dispute that it's not a deep draft but it's still not sound reasoning for maintaining a player that hasn't been doing the hard yards. If the coaches believe that he has fixed that then lets keep him on but if he hasn't then there is better to try someone else.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't dispute that it's not a deep draft but it's still not sound reasoning for maintaining a player that hasn't been doing the hard yards. If the coaches believe that he has fixed that then lets keep him on but if he hasn't then there is better to try someone else.

In terms of the depth of this year's draft, how would you compare it to an average year?

I know it's being a bit simple but would say players getting picked from 50 on be normally rookie list types? My concern is that we might have a few picks left late in the draft.

GVGjr
01-10-2009, 11:00 PM
In terms of the depth of this year's draft, how would you compare it to an average year?

I know it's being a bit simple but would say players getting picked from 50 on be normally rookie list types? My concern is that we might have a few picks left late in the draft.

25% weaker at a guess but we can still always find some players that might develop into senior footballers with late picks.
If I was convinced that Lynch had found another level with his training then I'd be OK with keeping him but we could very well promote Jamason Daniels who was impressive enough as a rookie this year. Slightly different player but he gives me the impression that he works hard. Lynch has talent and is eye catching when he's switched on but is that going to be enough for him unless he really wants to succeed?

comrade
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM

RJ, at least we know if Malcolm is moved on he'll find gainful employment as either an actor or the proprietor of a candy store ;)

Happy Days
01-10-2009, 11:07 PM

I've been under the impression that the talent is very good at the start, but begins to thin out quickly around the end of the first/early second round (after the first 20-25 or so)

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
25% weaker at a guess but we can still always find some players that might develop into senior footballers with late picks.
If I was convinced that Lynch had found another level with his training then I'd be OK with keeping him but we could very well promote Jamason Daniels who was impressive enough as a rookie this year. Slightly different player but he gives me the impression that he works hard. Lynch has talent and is eye catching when he's switched on but is that going to be enough for him unless he really wants to succeed?

I like what I have heard about Daniels but my thinking is that we can keep him on the rookie list anyway, so we might as well take advantage of it.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
RJ, at least we know if Malcolm is moved on he'll find gainful employment as either an actor or the proprietor of a candy store ;)

Haha, yep. Gold :)

For those of you who don't know, the actor bit comes from an article about Lynch, Hill and Harbrow. There was a bit about what they are doing/what to do away from footy which I really thought summed them up more than any BS players spout about how motivated they are etc. Harbrow said he was doing youth work, volunteer work and the like. Wanting to work with youth and indigenous Australians in the future. Hill said he was doing a bit of work with young people as well, doing something at a school. Sounded like he was influenced by Harbrow but obviously a half-arsed version of it (still pretty impresive). Lynch said he wanted to become an actor or entertainer.

Happy Days
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM

For those of you who don't know, the actor bit comes from an article about Lynch, Hill and Harbrow. There was a bit about what they are doing/what to do away from footy which I really thought summed them up more than any BS players spout about how motivated they are etc. Harbrow said he was doing youth work, volunteer work and the like. Wanting to work with youth and indigenous Australians in the future. Hill said he was doing a bit of work with young people as well, doing something at a school. Sounded like he was influenced by Harbrow but obviously a half-arsed version of it (still pretty impresive). Lynch said he wanted to become an actor or entertainer.

Oh Malcolm :o

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Yep great article

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/band-of-brothers/2009/06/29/1246127462689.html

Lynch, meanwhile, has a different off-field interest. He's keen on a media role, and also has an interest in acting. "He's the next Denzel Washington," says Harbrow

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Oh Malcolm :o

I also have him as a facebook friend (don't ask me why I have Bulldogs players as facebook friends, it's because I am the biggest loser in the world OK!). He likes to make comments about how great at life he is. At least they are amusing.

comrade
01-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Yep great article

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/band-of-brothers/2009/06/29/1246127462689.html

Lynch, meanwhile, has a different off-field interest. He's keen on a media role, and also has an interest in acting. "He's the next Denzel Washington," says Harbrow

Lynch's new nickname has to be Denzel from this moment on.

AndrewP6
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Yep great article

Perhaps that's distracting him from his No. 1 job?

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Perhaps that's distracting him from his No. 1 job?

He should try acting like a superstar small forward.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
This post was a duplicate of the next one. Please delete kind moderators.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
He should try acting like a superstar small forward.

Like any good actor, I think he would be asking "what's my character's motivation? Why does he want to be a superstar small forward?" etc.

AndrewP6
01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Like any good actor, I think he would be asking "what's my character's motivation? Why does he want to be a superstar small forward?" etc.

And the director (Eade) should respond " Keeping your job is your motivation, son"...

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM

Something greater than an oscar.

http://www.kick2kick.net/afl/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/premiership-cup-168x300.jpg

bornadog
01-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I would argue that somebody of Chris Judd's stature would be just as fast and agile as Cyril Rioli, just that carlton prefer to play him in the midfield. Not to mention how much more damaging he would be as a forward.

Judd is also 189cm, same height as Hahn and Welsh, but much more agile.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Something greater than an oscar.

http://www.kick2kick.net/afl/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/premiership-cup-168x300.jpg

Even if he put footy ahead of acting, I think he would prefer this one.

http://www.leski.com.au/news/20090525/brownlow.jpg

Doc26
01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I also have him as a facebook friend (don't ask me why I have Bulldogs players as facebook friends, it's because I am the biggest loser in the world OK!). He likes to make comments about how great at life he is. At least they are amusing.

That's hilarious and tragic at the same time but then again here I am at 2300 talking through a pc. What has my life become ;) So that infers there are Bulldog players that have taken you on as a friend to, funny.

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM

I haven't seem a lot of him, but I'm getting the strong impression that it's Lynch>team. Provided its not in excess, its not always a bad thing. My #1 hate is when a forward should have a shot for goal, but instead tries to do the 'team' thing and pass it off, resulting in a turnover.

Doc26
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM

But greater probability of picking up an Oscar especially if he's Denzil Mark II

AndrewP6
01-10-2009, 11:52 PM

A picture paints a thousand words...

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I haven't seem a lot of him, but I'm getting the strong impression that it's Lynch>team. Provided its not in excess, its not always a bad thing. My #1 hate is when a forward should have a shot for goal, but instead tries to do the 'team' thing and pass it off, resulting in a turnover.

To be fair to Lynchy, I don't think he is goal hungry or selfish when he has the ball. His main asset are his quick hands which can help free up space to set up goals and his defensive pressure when the ball is in his immediate area (conversely, his biggest weakness is his inability/reluctance to get to where the area where the ball is).

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
But greater probability of picking up an Oscar especially if he's Denzil Mark II

If he is to become an actor, I think this one is more realistic.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_90-7gfbA4VM/SdHV2Bgbx2I/AAAAAAAAAgE/D7AXrozBPAg/s400/399px-Gold_Logie.jpg

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
To be fair to Lynchy, I don't think he is goal hungry or selfish when he has the ball. His main asset are his quick hands which can help free up space to set up goals and his defensive pressure when the ball is in his immediate area (conversely, his biggest weakness is his inability/reluctance to get to where the area where the ball is).

Well that is a big weakness. But i like the sound of his defensive pressure. If he has a big pre- season (assuming he doesn't get delisted:p) there's a niche for him in the team . Only trouble is that someone has to drop out of the 22, which is looking unlikely at this stage. In that article Eade said that he is talented enough to go straight into the senior lineup bypassing Williamstown Seniors.

lemmon
02-10-2009, 12:08 AM

Im not sure its about pure pace but more that acceleration and initial burst over the first 10-15 metres.

Doc26
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM

An innate skill that can't be taught.

Rocco Jones
02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
An innate skill that can't be taught.

When I say inability to get to the right areas, I am not talking about him lacking the footy smarts. I actually think he is a very clever player.

I think the "inability" is down to a combination of lack of fitness and crap attitude.

Doc26
02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
When I say inability to get to the right areas, I am not talking about him lacking the footy smarts. I actually think he is a very clever player.

I think the "inability" is down to a combination of lack of fitness and crap attitude.

Ooh that's alright then. What you could've said was:

No disrespect but his biggest weakness is his inability/reluctance to get to where the area where the ball is :D

Mofra
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Judd is also 189cm, same height as Hahn and Welsh, but much more agile.
Yep, Judd's almost as agile as last year's most agile player tested & drafted - 205cm Ayce Cordy :)

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Thats what im saying why go for a 'small' forward if there are people with the same skills that are taller, with one other positive, that being that they would have a better chance in aerial contests with a taller opponent in most cases.

hujsh
02-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Thats what im saying why go for a 'small' forward if there are people with the same skills that are taller, with one other positive, that being that they would have a better chance in aerial contests with a taller opponent in most cases.

Main part there is the if.