PDA

View Full Version : Dogs plan to groom Cameron

The Coon Dog
02-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Michael Gleeson | October 2, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs have instituted a coaching succession plan for Leon Cameron to take over as senior coach - but probably not at the club.

Cameron will be groomed next year as a coach in waiting, shadowing Rodney Eade in all coaching areas and assuming a far greater role and responsibility than typically afforded a senior assistant coach.

The understudy position will see Cameron join in list management, take control of the development coaching program and opposition analysis - under Eade's executive control - and sundry other media, management and sponsorship tasks in addition to his existing role as midfield coach.

Article in full... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/dogs-plan-to-groom-cameron/2009/10/01/1253989997671.html)

bornadog
02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
what a great idea, win win for both the club and Leon.

AndrewP6
02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Very generous of the club to do it, but it does seem odd to me that they would do all that, so that another club could benefit. Yes, he'll get better at the job he's doing with us, but to have him do all that training, and then get snapped up by another club, just doesn't sit that well with me.

bornadog
02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Very generous of the club to do it, but it does seem odd to me that they would do all that, so that another club could benefit. Yes, he'll get better at the job he's doing with us, but to have him do all that training, and then get snapped up by another club, just doesn't sit that well with me.

Its insurance money in case something happens to Rocket, or after two years Rocket loses the passion to coach. Yes he can get snapped up by another team, but in the meantime his responsibilities increase and we gain from his knowledge as well.

Desipura
02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
A vert astute poster suggested that Cameron might be retained to take over Eade when he finishes up. The poster was not far off, although I am sure if Leon was still with us in 2 years time and Eade had not delivered a premiership, things may fall into place for him to take over.

azabob
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Do you believe your employer should not offer you further development and training? You need to think of the bigger picture, it is about developing your employees. Yes there is a risk Leon Cameron will leave, but that is no different in any organisation.
The more we develop our own people the more likely they are to stay and not jump ship for a similar role. The ultimate aim is to get Leon Cameron a senior coaching job wether it is with the bulldogs or another club and when he gets one it will be a massive tick for Eade and the football club.

Rocco Jones
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I think it's a very clever idea. We face financial struggles to lure senior assistant coaches. By offering a "coach succession plan" we can become a more attractive option to ambitious senior assistants. Basically, they might be more willing to accept less money if the job looks better on their CV.

Well done Bulldogs.

AndrewP6
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Do you believe your employer should not offer you further development and training? You need to think of the bigger picture, it is about developing your employees. Yes there is a risk Leon Cameron will leave, but that is no different in any organisation.
The more we develop our own people the more likely they are to stay and not jump ship for a similar role. The ultimate aim is to get Leon Cameron a senior coaching job wether it is with the bulldogs or another club and when he gets one it will be a massive tick for Eade and the football club.

I'm pretty sure if my boss knew I was applying for jobs with other schools, they wouldn't be that thrilled about using additional resources to train me up for it, in the hope that I might stay where I am.

Just seems funny, compared to the Andrejs Everitt situation, where on other threads, people have said they wouldn't be happy about him leaving after us spending all this time (and money) developing him. To me, it's the same situation.

Rocco Jones
02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure if my boss knew I was applying for jobs with other schools, they wouldn't be that thrilled about using additional resources to train me up for it, in the hope that I might stay where I am.

Just seems funny, compared to the Andrejs Everitt situation, where on other threads, people have said they wouldn't be happy about him leaving after us spending all this time (and money) developing him. To me, it's the same situation.

What do you think about the stuff I said in my post? If we offer a position that helps get you a gig as a senior coach, we will attract good senior assistant coaches. Brilliant idea from Dogs.

A myth about business is that anything sentimental/emotional is bad. Getting good people to want to work for you is a very good thing.

AndrewP6
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
What do you think about the stuff I said in my post? If we offer a position that helps get you a gig as a senior coach, we will attract good senior assistant coaches. Brilliant idea from Dogs.

A myth about business is that anything sentimental/emotional is bad. Getting good people to want to work for you is a very good thing.

Just mulling it over!:)... Could be good, could also see a revolving door, of people who only want in, to get their hands on a higher job.

Rocco Jones
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Just mulling it over!:)... Could be good, could also see a revolving door, of people who only want in, to get their hands on a higher job.

No one is going to reject a senior coaching gig for an assistant role anyway (especially with our limited budget).