PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs confident Lake will re-sign

NoseBleed
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Bulldogs confident Lake will re-sign (http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/bulldogs-confident-lake-will-resign-20091002-ggdq.html)
October 2, 2009 - 6:14PM

The Western Bulldogs are confident they will retain star fullback Brian Lake, despite admitting they are unsure why he is yet to agree to a new contract.

The AFL club have offered the 27-year-old All-Australian a four-year deal worth about $1.8 million.

Dogs football manager James Fantasia said the club believed they had made a worthy offer and could not explain Lake's reluctance to sign.

"I'm not 100 per cent sure why that's the case," Fantasia told Melbourne radio station SEN.

"We believe we've put a very sustainable and worthy proposition to Brian."

But, while the trade period is next week and several clubs are on the hunt for a key defender, Fantasia said there was no suggestion Lake wants to head elsewhere.

"There's never been talk about another club, there's never been talk about Brian wanting to leave the Western Bulldogs," he said.

"It's been simply us negotiating with his management a deal that he thinks is right for him.

"You've got to remember this will be Brian's biggest contract, his most important one.

"He's had a lot of things going on in his life, he's had another baby recently and that comes with enormous pressures.

"I'm very confident though we'll get to the bottom of all of that and hopefully we can do it sooner rather than later."

The Bulldogs also remain confident they will be able to strike a trade deal with Sydney to land big forward Barry Hall, despite current differences between the two clubs' expectations.

Meanwhile, Hawthorn officials have declined to comment on the playing future of ruckman Robert Campbell, after doubts were raised following recent knee surgery.

An initial diagnosis after a post-season "cleanout" operation was that the 27-year-old could face serious problems with the knee later in life if he continued to play.

But the advice of a second surgeon was that playing on would not be a major problem.

Campbell is contracted for next season and the Hawks are understood to want him to play on.

But Hawks list manager Chris Pelchen said the club did not want to comment while Campbell was considering his situation.

If he is unable to continue next season, it presents a major problem for the Hawks, who have lost young ruckman Max Bailey for next season with his third serious knee injury.

Campbell is also a back-up key defensive option, with fullback Trent Croad's future still uncertain because of a foot injury.

In other news, Fremantle will seek trades for young players Brett Peake and Marcus Drum, who both want to head to Victorian clubs.

"Peake is maybe heading towards St Kilda and Drum has been mentioned with Hawthorn and Geelong," Dockers coach Mark Harvey told the AFL website.

But Harvey said negotiations between other clubs on big-name players such as Carlton's Brendan Fevola and Port Adelaide's Shaun Burgoyne were likely to dominate the exchange week, possibly holding up smaller scale deals.

1eyedog
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
That article explained nothing really did it? Lake still hasn't signed and Fantasia is at a loss as to why he won't sign and then says he is confident he will:confused:

ledge
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Pretty much a cut and paste from the HS the other day isnt it?

Doc26
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm still hoping for a positive announcement at the B&F tomorrow night.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
If Peake is off to St Kilda, why the hell would they want Jordy as well?

Ray, Jordy and Peake in one team...

If Peake gets the nod, Jordy may well be finished.

AndrewP6
03-10-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm still hoping for a positive announcement at the B&F tomorrow night.

Article in today's H-S said there would be no announcement tonight :(

Rocco Jones
03-10-2009, 05:14 PM
If Peake is off to St Kilda, why the hell would they want Jordy as well?

Ray, Jordy and Peake in one team...

If Peake gets the nod, Jordy may well be finished.

You would think it will be only one of Jordy or Peake. If Jordy misses out, he still has a year left on his Tigers contract.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
You would think it will be only one of Jordy or Peake. If Jordy misses out, he still has a year left on his Tigers contract.
True. I can't see Jordy being one of Hardwick's 'first picked' either.

AndrewP6
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Just joined this facebook group - Only 2 other members :( Anyone here a member?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=142252710887

Rocco Jones
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
If you have facebook and haven't joined Brennan Stack A Go-Go, rectify your weak effort and join up now!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=203691275230&ref=ts

1eyedog
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
If you have facebook and haven't joined Brennan Stack A Go-Go, rectify your weak effort and join up now!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=203691275230&ref=ts

Is this when you put a book you are reading while on the couch over your face for a snooze?

anfo27
04-10-2009, 03:08 PM

IMO Jordie would be ahead of Peake. If Jordie gets good protection from team mates he is a much better kick than Peake. Protection or not Peake can't hit a target. I would of thought Peake was Farren Ray with more pace.

Hotdog60
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I thought it being Sunday arvo that there may have been something said in regards to Brian and Barry hall signing.

Does this mean that it's all going to go into the draft week which starts tomorrow.

comrade
04-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I thought it being Sunday arvo that there may have been something said in regards to Brian and Barry hall signing.

Does this mean that it's all going to go into the draft week which starts tomorrow.

Trade week starts tomorrow.

We've already stated we won't negotiate a trade for Brian, so this could potentially play out for weeks yet.

strebla
04-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Trade week starts tomorrow and that will be when we know about Barry Hall. Brian Lake may take a little longer as we await his decision to sign with us or not hopefully the former

AndrewP6
04-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Yep... will be an interesting week. (And nail-biting, nerve-wracking too!)

LostDoggy
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I am getting abit nervous now about Brian Lake!
What if the talk between the parts doe not come to an agreement, what happens next?
I hope they an can come to a compromise and sign Lake up.

AndrewP6
04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I am getting abit nervous now about Brian Lake!
What if the talk between the parts doe not come to an agreement, what happens next?
I hope they an can come to a compromise and sign Lake up.

Me too...

Could be mistaken, but I think he would nominate for the PSD... :( Jeez I hope it doesn't come to that.

LostDoggy
04-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm very nervous about Brian. Why won't he sign? I wish there was more communication on his behalf about where his head is at and what he wants...unless it is just the figure. Come on Briza!

ledge
05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Depending which articles you read some say figure others say minor contract conditions.
Cant be too minor though at this rate.

azabob
05-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I understand the club has said all along he is a required player and he won't be traded, but surely come tomorrow night or on Weds, if he still hasn't signed we'd have to look to trade him for a first round pick?

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:05 AM
QUOTE FROM THE HERALD SUN

Dogs coach Rodney Eade and Fantasia met Lake last night.
A conclusion to the saga appears imminent, with the Dogs surely keen for an answer in the next 48 hours. Even though they have said Lake will not be traded, an answer would give both parties options in the final days of the trade period.

Come on Brian Lake sign up already!!!!!!!

EasternWest
06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I can't understand why Lake would be considering a move, other than for financial reasons. Surely no current club that is a realistic chance in the next few years to scale the mountain could fit him in. And now with Barry signed the Dogs chance will be greatly enhanced in the next few years. He may have only 4 or 5 years left in him, and if he ends up at Melbourne or Port or something he must know his chance at premiership glory is gone.

Brian, we love you, and can't wait to see you in your dogs jersey holding the premiership cup.

Ozza
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
He's holding off because his missus is in his ear telling him how valuable he is - and that he should hold off for more cash.

He isn't keen to go anywhere else, lets just hope we nip this in the bud today and be done with.

Topdog
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
He's holding off because his missus is in his ear telling him how valuable he is - and that he should hold off for more cash.

He isn't keen to go anywhere else, lets just hope we nip this in the bud today and be done with.

You know this for a fact?

bornadog
06-10-2009, 02:27 PM

I thought he had a manager:eek:

AndrewP6
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought he had a manager:eek:

he does, and she recently gave birth...;)

Rocket Science
06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
No idea of the veracity of talk regarding Bryza's missus, but the following slightly off topic events suggest one should apparently never underestimate the coercive powers of one's better half, even if you're a big tough professional athlete.

An illustrative excerpt...

Semenov's wife nixes deal with Rangers (http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/semenov-s-wife-nixes-deal-with-rangers-1.1496554)

"He agreed, his agent agreed, but his wife didn't," Sather said. "He couldn't talk his family into it. In all my years of dealing with players, I've never had that happen before. He was crying."

Cue the sound of a cracking whip.

strebla
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I am so over the posters having a go at Brians wife this woman was induced so that the birth did not impact on his finals campaign.If and i say If she is the one stalling she has every right as his wife and the mother of his children to talk about their future I hope he signs soon as I know you all do but I am a touch disappointed by some posts here.

AndrewP6
06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I am so over the posters having a go at Brians wife this woman was induced so that the birth did not impact on his finals campaign.If and i say If she is the one stalling she has every right as his wife and the mother of his children to talk about their future I hope he signs soon as I know you all do but I am a touch disappointed by some posts here.

Can't speak for others, but my post re: Mrs Bryza was with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Hence the wink ;).

bornadog
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
This whole Bwian Lake saga has me thinking how much it has stressed out not only the club but all the supporters anxiously waiting for that signature.

Talk back, media, internet sites, other clubs have gone into meltdown discussing his bloody contract.

I can't see why the club didn't stitch this up straight after the finals like they said they would. Either, the club is being stubborn, Lake is Stubborn, or there are a pack of hopeless negotiators on both sides.

I for one am totally sick of this whole thing and believe it should never have got to this stage.

Hopefully we can all move on with a signature tomorrow.:mad:

AndrewP6
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I can't see why the club didn't stitch this up straight after the finals like they said they would.

Bryza said "end of the year" - maybe he meant "calendar year"? :)

KazLaker
06-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Article on the Herald Sun website by Jon Ralph and Mark Stevens says Brian is understood to have tonight commited to the dogs with a formal announcement to be made in the morning.

Swoop
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
HS website reporting Lake re-signing will be announced tomorrow (Wednesday). All is well that ends well

AndrewP6
06-10-2009, 11:55 PM
This is what I heard today... PLEEEEEEEEEEASE let it be true...

Ozza
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I don't think anyone has said she doesn't have a right to be involved in the decsion making process. She is his partner - of course she should be involved in the decsion.