PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Quits Swans

The Coon Dog
03-10-2009, 03:47 AM
* Damian Barrett * From: Herald Sun * October 03, 2009 12:00AM

DARREN Jolly could be headed for Collingwood next year after telling Sydney he wants to return to Victoria for family reasons.

Rival clubs have known all week that Collingwood was prepared to trade its first selection, No. 14, in the national draft, and the Herald Sun learnt last night it had held detailed talks with the Swans about exchanging that draft pick for Jolly.

The deal, if signed, would place massive pressure on Josh Fraser, who after 10 years at Collingwood could be headed for a new club.

Fraser was overlooked for the Magpies' preliminary final team, which lost badly to Geelong, despite playing a key role in the side's outstanding mid-to-late home-and-away season form.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pies-make-jolly-offer/story-e6frf9jf-1225782324014)

LostDoggy
03-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Wow..most interesting news ive heard while here in Canada so far. (Besides fev being traded)

Did not see this coming though..Collingwood would be silly not to let Fraser go & pick up Jolly. He was near-AA this year..I wouldn't think twice in Collingwoods shoes.

GVGjr
03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Swans will be forced to shake things up a bit with the retirees and now the likes of Jolly wanting to head back to Victoria. this could impact any Fev to the Pies speculation because they might view landing a quality ruckman as important as making a play for Fevola.

1eyedog
03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Wow..most interesting news ive heard while here in Canada so far. (Besides fev being traded)

Did not see this coming though..Collingwood would be silly not to let Fraser go & pick up Jolly. He was near-AA this year..I wouldn't think twice in Collingwoods shoes.

I agree. Canada is extremely boring.

Topdog
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Surely it will be more than just pick 14 for one of the best ruckmen going around?

LostDoggy
03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree. Canada is extremely boring.

Its not bad, im in Vancouver..beautiful city..feels like home..besides many differences out there haha..might be a bit less bored when i go on a bus tour next week. Got a mate sending me trade sms's as soon as they happen..gotta keep updated over here.

The Boy From Brasil
03-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Surely it will be more than just pick 14 for one of the best ruckmen going around?

Maybe, but probably not much more. Remember he is 28. How many more seasons does he have left in him? He is an extremely good ruckman but I would have thought that at 28 years old, pick 14 is pretty close to the mark. Maybe Collingwood could throw in a fringe player as a sweetener.

GVGjr
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM

The Swans are keen to land Seaby from West Coast for a 2nd round pick which would cover their needs so pick 14 might just suit them. There could be a sweetener offered by the Pies as well but it may not be necessary.

Two picks in the first round would help them a lot in the longer term.

1eyedog
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Its not bad, im in Vancouver..beautiful city..feels like home..besides many differences out there haha..might be a bit less bored when i go on a bus tour next week. Got a mate sending me trade sms's as soon as they happen..gotta keep updated over here.

Canada is a beautiful place. I was in North Vancouver in 1992 for 3 weeks. Enjoy yourself.

Topdog
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I must say I can't agree with that. He is coming off a career best year and still has 4-5 good years left in him. The Hawks and Collingwood are both screaming out for a ruck so I'm thinking pick 14 and a young, promising player at least.

Remi Moses
03-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Good move by the pies Fraser is in real trouble with his knee,and Wood is still along way off. Bryan is a complete and utter dud

LostDoggy
03-10-2009, 07:13 PM

How are they all coping with the loss to the mighty Flames :D

GVGjr
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I must say I can't agree with that. He is coming off a career best year and still has 4-5 good years left in him. The Hawks and Collingwood are both screaming out for a ruck so I'm thinking pick 14 and a young, promising player at least.

You are probably right that it's no an ideal trade but I think the Swans would look at the extra pick in the first round quite favorably. If the can sneak a bit more out of it then they would consider that a great outcome.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Jolly is absolutely in his prime and had a terrific season last year

For pick 14 only it would be a bargain for the Pies

I wonder which player the swans will target; Beams?

Its not like the Swans have to trade him, he is under contract, which is a stronger bargaining position given O'Keefe was out of contract and they didn't deal him

DOG GOD
04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Now that Robert campbell has retired it looks like the Hawks will make a huge play for Jolly. They will have to give up their pick 9 though (burgoyne) as they need a ruckman desperately. Will be interesting.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Now that Robert campbell has retired it looks like the Hawks will make a huge play for Jolly. They will have to give up their pick 9 though (burgoyne) as they need a ruckman desperately. Will be interesting.

Why are Hawthorn interested in every player listed up for trade, though? Don't they have faith in their own list? Fair enough to explore your options but it's not speaking volumes of where they think they're at IMO.

FWIW Jolly should be their #1 target followed by Gibson. Not sure why they'd bother targeting Burgoyne as he a) doesn't fill a need and b) is going to cost quite a lot.

DOG GOD
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Why are Hawthorn interested in every player listed up for trade, though? Don't they have faith in their own list? Fair enough to explore your options but it's not speaking volumes of where they think they're at IMO.

FWIW Jolly should be their #1 target followed by Gibson. Not sure why they'd bother targeting Burgoyne as he a) doesn't fill a need and b) is going to cost quite a lot.

Never really been sure as to why the hawks would want an injury prone player like Burgoyne anyway. With Campbell now retired due to injury and Bailey gone for the year, it doesnt leave much in the cupboard with Taylor and Renouf, so for me, the Hawks need to make a play for Jolly. Pick 9 should do it i'd say, and as the pies only have pick 14 to offer, the hawks would be in the box seat there.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Campbell, Taylor and Renouf did the job nicely in 08, and smashed our rucks in the prelim, but struggled last year.

Jolly would certainly be a good addition but I think Burgoyne gives them exactly what they need, a more dynamic midfielder. The Hawks midfield is one-paced and was badly exposed for speed and run in general in 09.

Obviously their backline also needs strengthening and Gibson is probably as likely for them, as Hall is for us.

The Adelaide Connection
05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Could Skipper become a part of the Hall trade now that the swans are likely to be Jollyless? Or would the Hawks want him?

Doc26
05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Monday 05Oct 12.05pm: Paul Roos said there was some chance that Swans ruckman Darren Jolly could move to Collingwood, although the Swans would need more than the pick No.14 in return which was Collingwood's initial offer.

Roos said Jolly was now a much better player than when he first joined Sydney from Melbourne several years ago for a first-round pick.

Mantis
05-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Could Skipper become a part of the Hall trade now that the swans are likely to be Jollyless? Or would the Hawks want him?

Swans are in the process of picking up Seaby from WC.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Much like I suspected. Collingwood would have had an absolute steal with just their first pick.

Scorlibo
05-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Sydney are playing hard ball this year. I've always thought of them as reasonable traders but a second pick for a 33 year old and a first pick and some for a 28 year old is just stupid.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Sydney are playing hard ball this year. I've always thought of them as reasonable traders but a second pick for a 33 year old and a first pick and some for a 28 year old is just stupid.

Jolly is worth Pick #14 and more IMO.

Dry Rot
05-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Jolly is worth Pick #14 and more IMO.

Agreed - he's one of the best ruckmen going around now IMO.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Agreed - he's one of the best ruckmen going around now IMO.

Best performed ruckman of the season just past, wasn't he? Sandilands and Cox, the usual suspects when it comes to naming the best rucks, didn't exactly have bumper years.

Dry Rot
05-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Best performed ruckman of the season just past, wasn't he? Sandilands and Cox, the usual suspects when it comes to naming the best rucks, didn't exactly have bumper years.

Sounds right - Jolly has been consistently good for a while.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds right - Jolly has been consistently good for a while.

Exactly. Pick 14 for the best ruckman going around is way under the odds. I mean, some people are claiming that Everitt is worth that (no disrespect to Andrejs).

At least a high first rounder.

Doc26
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Agree, pick 14 is a tad light on for one of the best 3 ruckmen going around. btw Swans are asking for more than pick 14 to do the deal.

Is tough on the Swans trying to retain their stars with the 'coming home' factor. Last year they just managed to retain ROK but lost Kennelly this year Jolly. We're going to face similar issues with our loading of SA talent.

Sedat
05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Agree, pick 14 is a tad light on for one of the best 3 ruckmen going around. btw Swans are asking for more than pick 14 to do the deal.
If pick 14 is light-on for a 28yo high quality ruckman (and I agree that it is), then what was pick 30 two years ago for a 29yo high quality ruckman ;)

Hope like hell the Pies don't snag Jolly as this trade alone will make them a premiership chance next season. Their chase for Jolly also validates the failure of the Cam Wood trade from 2 years, who Collingwood paid a much higher price for than we did for Hudson at the same time.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Hudson was out of contract though wasn't he?

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Hudson was out of contract though wasn't he?

Yep. :)

Jolly's got 2 years left so Collingwood must pay over the odds to pry him away.