PDA

View Full Version : Dogs say third round pick too much for Hall

The Coon Dog
05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
By Jennifer Witham 4:56 PM Mon 05 October, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs want the Swans to sweeten the deal to allow the Barry Hall trade to proceed.

The Swans are happy to accept third round pick 47 for the former premiership captain but Bulldogs' coach Rodney Eade said the Dogs also wanted a late selection in the draft.

On Monday afternoon Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos told the waiting media: "We said to them today we'd take [the third round pick, No.47], but we haven't heard back from them, so the ball is in their court."

In reply, Eade said the Dogs would need the Swans to offer another pick and threatened to let Hall slip through to the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft if they didn't.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85751/default.aspx)

bulldogtragic
05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Music to my ears.

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
FFS. It's pick 47. Who cares?

Just do it.

Throughandthrough
05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Good to see the Dogs being the major force in deals these days.h

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I think Eade wants a upgrade of picks as well.

Mantis
05-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I think Eade wants a upgrade of picks as well.

Recruiter Simon Dalrymple would be the staff memeber who would be dictating what draft picks the club wants.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
What does this indicate for us in terms of how many draft picks we want. If we're fishing for an upgrade in the 4th or 5th rounds, then we are aiming to have a few picks plus the Picken upgrade and recruitment of Hall.

Whilst i'm very tired, i think that makes 6 or 7 spots on the list needed to be freed up. We have 4 retirements/delistings and Eagle to the vets (5 total). So we have one, possibly two more to move on, assuming we keep Reid, Everitt and Lake (or get players to take their spots). I'd be very nervous if was Guy and a little nervous if my name was Malcolm.

MrMahatma
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Just do it.
I agree. Playing hardball over this is too risky IMO. We'll be much better with Hall in the team - the guy at pick 50-odd... I doubt he'll improve us much. Why risk losing Hall...???

KT31
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Just do it.

I agree.
We are talking about a bloke that will help win us the flag next season and the Dogs are stuffing around with a bull sh!t pick.
If Bazza slips through to the psd and we miss out on him, I wouldn't want to be at fault.
Heads would roll.
Just get Bazza and sign Lake.

Born & Bred
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
The dogs want a late draft pick from Sydney as well as Hall for our pick 47

Sedat
05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
The Sundance Kid should have thought about Hall's trade value before booting him out of the club mid-season.

BulldogBelle
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBH isnt going anywhere except to the Whitten Oval

We know it, BBBBBBBBBBH knows it, Mr Roos + co know it and all of the other clubs know it

We can hold out until Friday, and I'm sure in the last hour the Swans will cut a deal for our 4th round pick

GVGjr
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBH isnt going anywhere except to the Whitten Oval

We know it, BBBBBBBBBBH knows it, Mr Roos + co know it and all of the other clubs know it

We can hold out until Friday, and I'm sure in the last hour the Swans will cut a deal for our 4th round pick

If I was the Swans I'd insist on the 3rd round pick and if the Dogs didn't comply, I'd let him go into the pre-season or National draft. A late 4th round pick gives them nothing. From their perspective at least this way Hall has to wait another 6 or 7 critical weeks before being able train at the club.

Sedat
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
If I was the Swans I'd insist on the 3rd round pick and if the Dogs didn't comply, I'd let him go into the pre-season or National draft. A late 4th round pick gives them nothing. From their perspective at least this way Hall has to wait another 6 or 7 critical weeks before being able train at the club.
But I thought Roosy was just a ripping good bloke and loved 'Hally' unconditionally. Has all that goodwill by Roosy in front of the cameras at the Hall press conference evaporated now that the cameras are not filming 'top bloke' Roosy putting on a show for his press buddies?

He booted Hall out of the club - the very least he should do is ensure that Hall's future playing wishes are met in the easiest possible manner, seeing as Hall was a key component of Sydney's glory days and premiership success. Hall is now essentially worthless to Roos and Sydney - Roos' swift dismissal of Hall mid-season confirmed as much.

GVGjr
05-10-2009, 10:24 PM
He booted Hall out of the club - the very least he should do is ensure that Hall's future playing wishes are met in the easiest possible manner, seeing as Hall was a key component of Sydney's glory days and premiership success. Hall is now essentially worthless to Roos and Sydney - Roos' swift dismissal of Hall mid-season confirmed as much.

Not sure what your issue is with Roos but Hall actually walked for a few serious misdemeanors. He was asked to lift his standards and couldn't.
Hall needed to be disciplined but instead packed up his bat, ball and boxing gloves and sulked off.

Back to the thread or at least the post that you quoted, if I was Sydney a 4th round pick just isn't of any value for them and I'd let him slip through to the drafts.

Rocco Jones
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Pick 47 for Hall and 54 could work.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Pick 47 for Hall and 54 could work.

Agreed

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Not sure what your issue is with Roos but Hall actually walked for a few serious misdemeanors. He was asked to lift his standards and couldn't.
Hall needed to be disciplined but instead packed up his bat, ball and boxing gloves and sulked off.

Hall walked cos he thought Roos didn't want him.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Back to the thread or at least the post that you quoted, if I was Sydney a 4th round pick just isn't of any value for them and I'd let him slip through to the drafts.

That's not true.

Hall was booted before Roos had even spoken to him.

The Monday after the Rutten incident, Hall waited for 6 hours to discuss it with Roos and then Roos blew him off and went and did an interview.

Roos didn't even speak with Hall until the Wednesday.

KT31
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
That's not true.

The Monday after the Rutten incident, Hall waited for 6 hours to discuss it with Roos and then Roos blew him off and went and did an interview.

Would you tell Bazza he wasn't needed at the club the day after he thumped someone ?
Roos was wise to wait a few days.
Otherwise Bazza might have ripped of one of his limbs.:D

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 06:17 PM
That's not true.

It was the final straw. Hall quit the club stating that he couldn't give any guarantees about controlling his temper. The player and coach shook hands after the announcement.

Either way, a 4th round pick wasn't going to get the job done and today's outcome means he can start training with the club asap.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
It was the final straw. Hall quit the club stating that he couldn't give any guarantees about controlling his temper. The player and coach shook hands after the announcement.

Either way, a 4th round pick wasn't going to get the job done and today's outcome means he can start training with the club asap.

I don't know how to find old newspaper articles, but I don't believe this happened on the Monday.

The Coon Dog
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't know how to find old newspaper articles, but I don't believe this happened on the Monday.

Roos & Hall had their presser on Tuesday 7 July.