Johson Hall Aker
Guido Murphy Hahn

Has a nice look to it......:D

Hotdog60
06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Johson Hall Aker
Guido Murphy Hahn

It does have a nice look to it, although I'd like to see one of our young key forwards sitting in the pocket learning the trade.:)

Cyberdoggie
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
A genuine tall in our forward will either be the end for Hahn or a new beginning.

We rely on a quick and versatile forward line that can push up into the middle. By adding Barry Hall we have changed this setup. hahn could possibly make way for team balance or he could benefit from having the big guy there. Time will tell.

Sedat
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see another defensive-minded small/mid forward in there - someone like a Rooke or McQualter type to be absolutely ferocious at keeping the ball in our forward 50.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I think that we can get an extra year out of Johnno with big Bazza taking some heat off him

bornadog
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Johnson (34) Hall (33) Aker (33)
Guido (27) Murphy (28) Hahn (28)

(I have written down age next birthday in brackets)

I don't like it, too old. We need a young pacey forward pocket with some very good defensive skills.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The trade period is not over yet. There may still be some slight changes. Maybe the only way we have managed to get the Lake deal done is that we know we can move on another player and put some of that money to Lake.

**Disclaimer - based on no factual information, just a theory I have.

That said, it is looking like a quite dangerous forward line. Wouldn't mind seeing Higgins down there poaching some goals too!

Mofra
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
J.White Fev Aker
Johnson Hall Murphy

Woof rumours only :p

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Whom do you suggest?

Trade for one (even though it's the devil's work;)) or make Addison a permanent forward pocket or give Lynch a go?

chef
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
(I have written down age next birthday in brackets)

I don't like it, too old. We need a young pacey forward pocket with some very good defensive skills.

HF Hill Murphy Johnson
FF Harbrow Hall Hahn

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
HF Hill Murphy Johnson
FF Harbrow Hall Hahn

Aker on the bench?

Who takes Harbrow's spot in the backline - Stack?

Go_Dogs
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Aker on the bench?

I think Harbrow has done too well in the backline for this move to occur, Stack should be working towards becoming that piece of the puzzle in our forward line.

bornadog
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Whom do you suggest?

Trade for one (even though it's the devil's work;)) or make Addison a permanent forward pocket or give Lynch a go?

Yes we do lack an ideal player, however, maybe a Stack or even Lynch (if he improves), could work. Addison is not a forward and I can't see him playing there.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
HF Hill Murphy Johnson
FF Harbrow Hall Hahn

Hill?

Doc26
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Assuming Cooney's knee problem is resolved I would like to see him spend more time 'resting' down forward in 2010, not dissimilar to GAJ for the Catters in 2009 and Griff. more time in the midfield.

Ozza
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
High: Aker; Murphy; Gia/Hill
Middle: Hahn
Deep: Hall; Johnson

*Salivating*

soupman
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
HF Hill Murphy Johnson
FF Harbrow Hall Hahn

I've outlined this in another thread somewhere but Harbrow isn't the player we need in the forwardline.

I don't think he's a forward at all though. Watching him play there tonight and having seen him play there on previous occasions he lacks two things that all small forwards need: Finishing ability (as in kicking the goal) and Goal Sense.

Harbrows strengths are his long passing, his intensity (never drops below 100%), his ability to shrug tackles and his ability to weave around opponents at high speed and break the lines by doing so. I would argue that last point is his most dangerous ability, and would be wasted if he was up forward because he wouldn't have the space to run and do it. Keep him in defence for me.

And just as an aside, how good are his slingshot moves. He did a beauty tonight in the last quarter where he entered a tackle with the ball facing Brisbanes goals and came out at top speed going our way.

chef
06-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Aker on the bench?

Aker is going to be rotated off the bench a fair bit next season.

Thinking about it more, Harbrow is going to be left where he is(but IMO he would be awesome in that position). Maybe Stack or Lynch could play the defence small forward.

Hill?

I'm a Hill lover.

Raw Toast
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I've outlined this in another thread somewhere but Harbrow isn't the player we need in the forwardline.

I don't think he's a forward at all though. Watching him play there tonight and having seen him play there on previous occasions he lacks two things that all small forwards need: Finishing ability (as in kicking the goal) and Goal Sense.

I agree that Harbrow is too valuable in his current role but disagree that he can't pinch hit at times as a useful small-forward. Yes he does currently lack composure around the goals, but he's shown at lower levels that he can play with great composure, finishing and goal sense.

IMO it's a confidence thing. When he gets the ball up forward he creates the space but then rushes his kick. His composure when down back increased markedly over the season, and I think we'll see the same happen when he happens to be up forward.

Re the thread in general, if Hall stays on the park for us I think our forward-line will be a blur of rotating players with Hall the mainstay. Johnson and Murphy are likely to be released a bit more, and you'd think we play a crumbing forward closer to goal a bit more as well.

I agree that the big question is Hahn. He's got most of the attributes of Rooke, but seemed pretty slow once the ball was out of his area. I saw him in the preseason and he was huge. Perhaps with BBBBB he'll slim down a bit and increase his running power.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Not sure Johnson, Aker and Hahn can continue to play in the same forward line. Obviously Johnson/Aker will hold their spots regardless, but I personally think Hahn's spot should come under threat if he isn't performing. He had a pretty average season and if he can't improve, I don't see a spot for him. We'd be too slow and un-accountable.

Desperate for some pace, forward defensive pressure and youth IMO.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
J.White Fev Aker
Johnson Hall Murphy

Woof rumours only :p

If you are putting Jesse White then why not add in Palvich, Brown, Steve Johnson and Leon Davis. ;)

Doc26
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
If you are putting Jesse White then why not add in Palvich, Brown, Steve Johnson and Leon Davis. ;)

But we can't get them all in our cap :)

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
But we can't get them all in our cap :)

If we are going to make them up (ie Jesse white) then you might as well go whole hog and make a salary cap.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Is there any chance of Jarrad Grant getting in there next year

Mofra
06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Not sure Johnson, Aker and Hahn can continue to play in the same forward line. Obviously Johnson/Aker will hold their spots regardless, but I personally think Hahn's spot should come under threat if he isn't performing. He had a pretty average season and if he can't improve, I don't see a spot for him. We'd be too slow and un-accountable.

If Hahn reduces his bulk and sheds kilos, hopefully his pace & agility would improve.

He wouldn't be expected to play like a pseudo KPP with Hall in the F50, especially if Minson provides a chop out for 10-15mins each quarter.

He's the heaviest 6 foot 2 player in the AFL, hopefully Davorin will plan each player's new goal weights/fitness regime according to player movements & role changes.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
What about O'Keefe?

Wasn't he recruited as a small forward?

Ozza
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
We've been after a big forward for forever! And now that we get one everyone is saying we'll be too slow and lack pressure. Apparently you can't have everything!!

However, as hughy31 pointed out earlier - having Bazza taking the load as the marking forward is going to help out Johnson and Hahn alot - with the fact they will get lesser or smaller opponents. We may get 2 more years out of Johnson this way. Presumably Aker will be able to be less of a leading player and more a forward rover - and the Coaches will plan for all of these changes in the structure.

BBBBB will be a good thing - so lets enjoy that thought for summer!

Doc26
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Would need a preseason like none other before. Could not see it happening although I hope I'm wrong. Think he's on a slow burn in terms of development.

Ozza
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM

I hope he forces his way in at some stage. But at this point I can imagine him making the grade.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Rhann Hooper from Brissy is still available - young, speedy, has had some off field issues though....

bornadog
06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
What about O'Keefe?

Wasn't he recruited as a small forward?

too slow

bornadog
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Rhann Hooper from Brissy is still available - young, speedy, has had some off field issues though....

Is he any good?

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Is he any good?

Nope.

Plays a half decent game every now and again but he's below average.

BulldogBelle
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I've said all year our best forward is at full back!! If Barry plays as a traditional FF, and Bwian played CHF, can you imagine!!!!!! The key to Grand Final success is a strong backline, a dominant midfield and two big forwards. Look at the teams since the Lions 3peat. All the same. Brown/Lynch, Tredrea/Westoff (a hack I know), Buddy/Roughhead, Mooney/Ablett/Hawkins. Who can fill the key defensive posts is the key.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm hopeful that you are incorrect..
I am a big fan of Hahn, and remember our game against the saints Round 3 2008.
His presence was simply unbelievable and he played a ripper..
If he gets more of those next year, he will be a massive key to our defensive pressure in 2010.

Sedat
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Nope.

Plays a half decent game every now and again but he's below average.
Also suffers from the opposite of leather poisoning. Too regularly has games where he touches the pill less than half a dozen times. If he was any good, Brisbane would not have been desperate to get someone like Buchanan to feed off the numerous groundballs following Jon Brown and Bradshaw arial contests.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I didn't think I would be, but I'm so happy at the moment (about Hall signing). Hall adds a whole new dimension to our already impressive forward line. Our forward line will probably look a bit old next year, but I'm not going to let that potential reality get in the way of my enthusiasm.

'I think he can mentor our young forwards as well so there's a dual role there for him.'-Eade. That's what a lot of posters here said was one of the positives of Hall. The most effective way to mentor somebody would be to play alongside them, so I'm thinking that J. Grant may get a few games as Hall's understudy. I can't really remember, but is this what Brisbane did with Brown and Lynch?

If this were to happen, it gives the selectors some headaches. Hall replaces Welsh, Grant replaces who? I was semi-hoping that Eagleton would retire. It would free up a spot in the 22 for Everitt or Grant. But I have a feeling that he'll go on.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
My forward-line reads as follows:

F: Aker; Hall; Johnson
HF: Gia; Hahn; Murphy

Personally, i reckon Harbrow is terrific in defence and should be kept there for sure. His speed and run is needed especially in the back for rebounding. What a talent he is.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
My forward-line reads as follows:

F: Aker; Hall; Johnson
HF: Gia; Hahn; Murphy

Personally, i reckon Harbrow is terrific in defence and should be kept there for sure. His speed and run is needed especially in the back for rebounding. What a talent he is.

Hey Gavsav:D Agree with keeping Harbrow in the backline. He is far more important to our team rebounding off the backline than playing forward. I don't think listing our forwardline is as simple as listing 6 players. We have a lot of players that rotate in and out. Gia, for example (if I'm not mistaken), is always listed on the bench. We also have players like Higgins, Hill (hopefully), Minson etc. playing up forward. Now that we have Hall up forward, do you think we will continue to have running shots from outside 50?

Dry Rot
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Agree with this.

Who are the candidates from what we presently have? Lynch, Stack & Hill?

I'd prefer a fit Higgins in the midfield.

Happy Days
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Is he any good?

He can bob up for a haul of four or so once every 10 weeks against Freo, but other than that he is junk. Also seems to go walkabout at the start of every season, and turn up to pre-season out of shape.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Who are the candidates from what we presently have? Lynch, Stack & Hill?

I'd prefer a fit Higgins in the midfield.

That would be it. Pretty bare in the cupboard for small forwards. I would think we'll definitely address this issue in the upcoming draft.

Dry Rot
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
That would be it. Pretty bare in the cupboard for small forwards. I would think we'll definitely address this issue in the upcoming draft.

I read somewhere that Sanits bagged Lovett with their first round pick. If we think we're a real shot next year, should we have a crack with our first round pick?

Having said that, dunno what small forwards of quality we could get.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I read somewhere that Sanits bagged Lovett with their first round pick. If we think we're a real shot next year, should we have a crack with our first round pick?

I think he asked for 500K per season, he isn't worth it, nor is he worth a first round.

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 11:21 PM

We are apparently at the limit of the salary cap and whilst it's tempting to add someone like Lovett we haven't got the room. It's hard to know who's available for trade that could really add something to the side and not cost the world but it now seems likely that just some minor cosmetic changes to the list and the draft order will occur for the balance of the week.

Hotdog60
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
If we needed a small forward, would it be worth looking at one of the Williamstown players and put them on the rookie list. Patrick Rose or Matthew Little both kicked around 50 goals this year and have mature bodies at 24 years and shouldn't cost too much.

The question would be could they cut it at AFL level?

Dazza
07-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm a little worried about Hahn next year.

On the plus side. You know you have a great team when you're trying to fit 26 good players into a team of 22.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
On the plus side. You know you have a great team when you're trying to fit 26 good players into a team of 22.

Next year we'll be trying to fit about 30 or more blokes into the side, especially once/if everyone is fit. It really is an important year for a lot of our developing players, and we need to ensure that they are given adequate opportunities and senior players are dropped as their form dictates. We now have the depth to scrap the credits in the bank system, which I think is something we need to do.

Mofra
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
If we needed a small forward, would it be worth looking at one of the Williamstown players and put them on the rookie list. Patrick Rose or Matthew Little both kicked around 50 goals this year and have mature bodies at 24 years and shouldn't cost too much.
Little has already been on an AFL list (Hawks).

Rose is the odds-on favourite to be the "shared cost" rookie between the Gulls & Dogs, much the way Picken was this year.

The Underdog
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I've said all year our best forward is at full back!! If Barry plays as a traditional FF, and Bwian played CHF, can you imagine!!!!!! The key to Grand Final success is a strong backline, a dominant midfield and two big forwards. Look at the teams since the Lions 3peat. All the same. Brown/Lynch, Tredrea/Westoff (a hack I know), Buddy/Roughhead, Mooney/Ablett/Hawkins. Who can fill the key defensive posts is the key.

I'm still not sure why people keep throwing this idea up. We've invested 8 or 9 years in Brian to become an All-Australian full back and he's rarely shown or been given the opportunity to show that he has any idea about playing forward. Why would we move him and create a huge hole in our backline. Murphy plays the role of a leadup CHF already, probably far better than Brian ever could. But I guess he doens't look like what people want their CHF to look like. We have nobody ready to take over a key defensive post for at least 1-2 years. We need to concentrate on developing Grant and Cordy into good tall forwards, admittedly the club's biggest weakness in the past few years (the development of young talls I mean).

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Maybe putting DFA in there could be option

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe putting DFA in there could be option

As a forward?
No thanks, apart from some defensive pressure does bugger all. Check the WC game at Etihad.

azabob
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
As a forward?
No thanks, apart from some defensive pressure does bugger all. Check the WC game at Etihad.

He wasn't alone that day!!

Sedat
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
As a forward?
Playing devil's advocate, he was quite effective in that Rooke/McQualter style defensive forward role the week before against Freo. One match is not much of a sample size it must be said :D

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Part of being a forward is that you must be able to kick a goal and in some respects make something out of nothing.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Trade Hahn, use cap space and 1st rd pick for for small forward

hujsh
07-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Trade Hahn, use cap space and 1st rd pick for for small forward

We wish.

He'd be worth a late second round pick at best.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I never meant we would get a 1st round for Hahn, I mean use our current 1st round pick (15) on a good small forward. I see Hall and Murph being our FF, CHF, where does that leave Hahn?