PDA

View Full Version : Mark Nicoski

Ozza
07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
In the Herald Sun this morning:

Nicoski appeals to the Dogs as a running defender and he may be headed to Whitten Oval in exchange for a late draft pick.

It is understood West Coast wants the Dogs second round pick, No. 31, in return for Nicoski. But the Dogs are likely to baulk at that and may hope to land Nicoski for a fourth round choice.

Lake met with Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia and coach Rodney Eade on Monday night.

Bulldog Andrejs Everitt continues to attract attention, with the Saints believed to be still keen if they can grab a decent pick for Luke Ball.

chef
07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
In the Herald Sun this morning:

Nicoski appeals to the Dogs as a running defender and he may be headed to Whitten Oval in exchange for a late draft pick.

It is understood West Coast wants the Dogs second round pick, No. 31, in return for Nicoski. But the Dogs are likely to baulk at that and may hope to land Nicoski for a fourth round choice.

Lake met with Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia and coach Rodney Eade on Monday night.

Bulldog Andrejs Everitt continues to attract attention, with the Saints believed to be still keen if they can grab a decent pick for Luke Ball.

No thanks, i would prefer Wood to be given that opportunity.

G-Mo77
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
There is also a snippet on the SEN website that a 4th Round pick will get it done.

http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=18202&sr=all

The Western Bulldogs are likely to secure West Coast's Mark Nicoski in exchange for a fourth round pick, while St Kilda has shown interest in Andrejs Everitt.

bulldogsman
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
There is also a snippet on the SEN website that a 4th Round pick will get it done.

http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=18202&sr=all

The Western Bulldogs are likely to secure West Coast's Mark Nicoski in exchange for a fourth round pick, while St Kilda has shown interest in Andrejs Everitt.

Why do we pick up duds from West Coast? He had a good year in 2005 but has gone nowhere in the last 3 years.

Mofra
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Why do we pick up duds from West Coast? He had a good year in 2005 but has gone nowhere in the last 3 years.
It's a weak draft, so he's likely to be better than a 4th rounder this year.

Scraggers
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM

He did have a very serious shoulder injury that kept him out for almost a whole season ... in saying that, I don't think we need him at the Dogs ... his ball use is ordinary

bulldogsman
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
It's a weak draft, so he's likely to be better than a 4th rounder this year.

But why Nicoski? Wouldn't it be better if we went after a small forward?

Mofra
07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
But why Nicoski? Wouldn't it be better if we went after a small forward?
Yes, but who is available for a 4th rounder? You need two parties in any transaction.

bulldogsman
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, but who is available for a 4th rounder? You need two parties in any transaction.

Stokes from Hawthorn maybe? Shane Edwards from Richmond?

chef
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Rhan Hooper from Brisbane.

Hotdog60
07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Rhan Hooper from Brisbane.

I'd stay away from Hooper, nothing but trouble and you don't get good return for your money.

Topdog
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Nicoski down back and Harbrow as our small forward who can apply defensive pressure I believe is the plan (assuming of course that our interest is true)

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I had previously thought Nicoski was a good developing player - but obviously injuries slowed him up considerably.

He is not worth a second round pick, but might be worth a flyer with a late pick

... his ball use is ordinary

I'd always thought he was a good long left foot kick - is that not really the case?

EasternWest
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

There are only two players I'd even remotely consider from Richmond, and Edwards isn't one of them. He is hopeless.

I'm not against Nicoski. He has ability though hasn't really developed over there. It's an interesting proposition. I think a fourth round draft pick would be fair.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Maybe he could be used as a small foward option.

Scraggers
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I had previously thought Nicoski was a good developing player - but obviously injuries slowed him up considerably.

He is not worth a second round pick, but might be worth a flyer with a late pick

I'd always thought he was a good long left foot kick - is that not really the case?

From what I saw of him both at Subiaco and West Coast, he has the ability to kick the ball over the lines, thus breaking an opposition's forward defensive pressure ... but he also has the ability to have brain fades and butcher a ball.

I don't think we need him at the Bulldogs, but if he is exchanged for a fourth round draft pick, then I suppose he would be worth it

Mofra
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Rumours from a "less reputable" source of football news have us as asking WCE to pay a part of his salary which they have baulked at.

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
From what I saw of him both at Subiaco and West Coast, he has the ability to kick the ball over the lines, thus breaking an opposition's forward defensive pressure ... but he also has the ability to have brain fades and butcher a ball.

I don't think we need him at the Bulldogs, but if he is exchanged for a fourth round draft pick, then I suppose he would be worth it

Cheers Scraggers

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Doesn't seem like the Eagles are that keen to keep him

hujsh
07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Can find Mark Nicoski clips here (http://www.afl.com.au/afl%20video%20mash-up/tabid/10986/default.aspx) pretty easily but you need Microsoft Silverlight installed to watch it and it won't install to my computer

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I am surprised to see the Bulldogs linked to him. Don't think we need him, and we should be looking to play our younger guys first.

Ozza
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
If he was 4-5 years younger - I would understanding it more - but he turns 26 in November. Obviously he isn't 'old' - but he is far from being a young player with huge upside.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Apparently he started his career as a goal sneek, according to a couple Eagles supporters. Maybe we're looking at recruiting him as a small forward? For a fourth round pick it'd be worth it. Nothing more than that, though.

Mantis
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think it sends a good message to our 'fringe players' like Wood, Everitt, Reid & Stack if we are recruiting a bit part player from a struggling team.

Big NO from me.

Big_Willba
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
No thanks

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't think it sends a good message to our 'fringe players' like Wood, Everitt, Reid & Stack if we are recruiting a bit part player from a struggling team.

Big NO from me.

Agreed. I can foresee a mass exodus of quality youngsters if we go that route. We really need games into these kids next year, and this is going to be at the expense of some of our more established players. Another bloke holding them back doesn't bode well for our future...

Hotdog60
07-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Coach Rodney Eade said the Dogs were unlikely to seek any other trades this week.

"We think we've got some good youngsters that have played some games now that can step up next year," he said.

"We thought it would be great if we could get a key forward, which we've got in Barry Hall.

"It's now just a matter of re-signing other players, so that's about what we'll do. We think the list we've got is pretty good at the moment.

"Unless there are some other clubs that are interested in some players that might not be here next year, that's about it from our point of view."

We maybe done and dusted.

mighty_west
07-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I would much rather see players like Reid & Wood given more opportunities, really don't see what he would bring to the mix.

bornadog
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Anymore on this player being traded?

Happy Days
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Just scowered the Eagles forum and can't find anything.

He looks like getting delisted, so if we really want him, we could just pass on a late pick in the draft and take him in the PSD - but I can't see it happening.

The Coon Dog
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM

He looks like getting delisted, so if we really want him, we could just pass on a late pick in the draft and take him in the PSD - but I can't see it happening.

If he's delisted he can nominate for the National Draft too.

Happy Days
08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
If he's delisted he can nominate for the National Draft too.

This is true - he would also come much cheaper (in terms of $$$) this way.

Still can't see it happening though. I just dont see the appeal; we are already chockers with HBF'ers.

BulldogBelle
12-10-2009, 06:35 AM

This may be a possibilty.

Was at Past Players Lunch on Sunday and David Smorgan said we were looking at a couple of players in the PSD.

Any thoughts who the may be?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I still would like a ruckman, so perhaps Pattinson if he had a solid hitout with us prior to PSD???

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
This may be a possibilty.

Was at Past Players Lunch on Sunday and David Smorgan said we were looking at a couple of players in the PSD.

Any thoughts who the may be?
Welsh - Hall
Eagle (vets/retire) - Picken
GOK - Mulligan

Skip -1st rounder
Wight - 2nd rounder
O'Shea - 4th rounder

If we are after a PSD selection, who else is making room them??? Or is this a case of covering all bases if we don't resign Reid or Aker?

soupman
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Welsh - Hall
Eagle (vets/retire) - Picken
GOK - Mulligan

Skip -1st rounder
Wight - 2nd rounder
O'Shea - 4th rounder

If we are after a PSD selection, who else is making room them??? Or is this a case of covering all bases if we don't resign Reid or Aker?

We can pass on our 4th rounder and use it in the PSD as the elevation of Picken and Mulligan counts as two ND selection. Technically we could use our 1st rounder and be done with it.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Has Mulligan been confirmed as being promoted?

soupman
12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Has Mulligan been confirmed as being promoted?

Apparently he has been offered a promotion.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
With Hall joining us, Johnson re-signing and the likelihood that both Eagle and Aker will also be on the list in 2009, I think it is important that we keep some spots or opportunities open to play kids.

Whilst I think Nicoski has some talent a move to bring Nicoski in would probably stymie that

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 01:11 PM
We can pass on our 4th rounder and use it in the PSD as the elevation of Picken and Mulligan counts as two ND selection. Technically we could use our 1st rounder and be done with it.
True. But surely our recruiting staff want 3 ND picks. Otherwise we would have traded pick pick 64 for Nicoski or the like delisted player, and it would be done and dusted already.

We need 3 ND picks as the list needs some youth with a heap of retirements coming over the next 2 years. Therefore i don't see why we are after a PSD player??? Surely it is then a case of (probably) Malcolm Lynch versus Nicoski/Pattinson/etc for a spot on the list. I think i'll stick with Mal.

soupman
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
True. But surely our recruiting staff want 3 ND picks. Otherwise we would have traded pick pick 64 for Nicoski or the like delisted player, and it would be done and dusted already.

We need 3 ND picks as the list needs some youth with a heap of retirements coming over the next 2 years. Therefore i don't see why we are after a PSD player??? Surely it is then a case of (probably) Malcolm Lynch versus Nicoski/Pattinson/etc for a spot on the list. I think i'll stick with Mal.

I agree completely. Just trying to clarify the situation and options available.

RCRM
14-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Apparently Nicoski has been offered a 1 year deal with a pay cut by WCE - there have been any conclusive reports yet as to whether he's re-signed or not.

At WBD I can only see him being a depth player at best - the 2006 ankle break seems to have cruelled him a bit in terms of explosiveness, which was a big strength of his, he still has a booming LF kick (but without great reliability accuracy or weighting) and decent pace, but neither are quite as good as they used to be and has poor smarts, positioning and awareness. He is a player that can gain you a lot of territory, but he doesn't bring much else to the table. Wing probably suits him better than defence IMO.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2009, 01:25 PM
We will not be in the PSD. Nothing surer.