PDA

View Full Version : Well I'll be buggered, Pelchen actually got Burgoyne

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
4 club trade

Port get picks 10 & 16 and Jay Nash
Hawthorn get Burgoyne
Essendon and Geelong are also involved somehow.

Source: 1HD Sports Tonight

azabob
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Port have done extremely well I think.

Question is how do hawthorn amoungst other clubs fit all into the salary cap?

lemmon
08-10-2009, 11:10 PM
That is a top midfield Hawthorn have now, I think there will be a fair gap next year between the top 5 or 6 and the rest based on the way teams are loading up now.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Great... Now Pelchan will continue to pull this crap. I hate the Pelchan.

LostDoggy
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
That is a top midfield Hawthorn have now, I think there will be a fair gap next year between the top 5 or 6 and the rest based on the way teams are loading up now.

If the midfield include your rucks then Hawthorn don't have a top midfield. Nor do they have a defence.

Raw Toast
09-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty surprised the trade got done as well, but it did require mediation (which is one of the new things the AFL brought in before last year's trade period IIRC) - and with McGlynn and Kennedy going the Hawks do lose some depth as well.

bornadog
09-10-2009, 12:12 AM
If the midfield include your rucks then Hawthorn don't have a top midfield. Nor do they have a defence.

Croad will never play again and they don't have anyone else down back. As for rucks, well, they are going to hope they can develop some kids quickly.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm pretty surprised the trade got done as well, but it did require mediation (which is one of the new things the AFL brought in before last year's trade period IIRC) - and with McGlynn and Kennedy going the Hawks do lose some depth as well.

IMO Hawthorn aren't exactly better off.

They have no early picks, Robbie Campbell has had to retire and Mark Williams is gone. They've replaced them with Burgoyne and Gibson - two players of quality, but at the same time lost decent depth players in McGlynn and Kennedy.

Bottom line: if Hawks get injuries, they're stuffed. No ruckmen, two undersized key backs only (Gilham and Gibson) and no midfield depth.

Raw Toast
09-10-2009, 01:38 AM
IMO Hawthorn aren't exactly better off.

They have no early picks, Robbie Campbell has had to retire and Mark Williams is gone. They've replaced them with Burgoyne and Gibson - two players of quality, but at the same time lost decent depth players in McGlynn and Kennedy.

Bottom line: if Hawks get injuries, they're stuffed. No ruckmen, two undersized key backs only (Gilham and Gibson) and no midfield depth.

If Burgoyne can get fit and firing he's a massive inclusion, but they do seem to be risking a fair bit on him, and we can only hope that they miss the finals again next year :)

mjp
09-10-2009, 02:19 AM
It's strange isn't it. I figured all Hawthorn were doing with Burgoyne was causing a trade-week log jam (like in each of the last few years with Thornton, O'Keefe, Spider Everitt etc etc). But they actually wanted him?

I think he is terrific, but his best value is around stoppages...and they already have Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge. And Sewell.

What are they going to DO with him?

Remi Moses
09-10-2009, 06:41 AM
gee he didn't offer up Tim Boyle:rolleyes::rolleyes:

chef
09-10-2009, 08:25 AM

And a one dimensional forward line.

Mantis
09-10-2009, 09:03 AM
And a one dimensional forward line.

If we had Franklin, Roughead and Rioli up front I could live with opposing supporters believing our forwardline was one dimensional.

Raw Toast
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I think he is terrific, but his best value is around stoppages...and they already have Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge. And Sewell.

I reckon his best value is bursting away from stoppages, and they don't really have that kind of player and lack pace - if he can get his body right I think they'll try and to have him play a Judd at WC type role, all blocking for him, and getting Mitchell and Lewis et al to put him into space by hand.

Also frees up Hodge to go down back or up forward as required.

A bit scary for mine, but his body is a big if, and the Hawks have gambled away a fair bit on him, so we can only hope it all goes wrong...

mjp
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
But if Lewis and Mitchell are going to give him the ball, then someone needs to block for THEM.

The bursting away from stoppages comment is true - but most times when he does this it isn't a handball receive...he has gathered the footy himself.

Raw Toast
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
The bursting away from stoppages comment is true - but most times when he does this it isn't a handball receive...he has gathered the footy himself.

True, and he relied on good tap work as well - I think this is another risk the Hawks are taking. They need someone else apart from Bateman (and maybe Rioli if they can play him in the midfield) who can break the lines for them, but S Burgoyne has tended to run onto the ball at stoppages (assisted by good to excellent ruck-work) and then burst away. He's been excellent at it, but a bit one-dimensional. Can he add an extra string to his bow at his age and break the lines from hand-ball receives as well?

EasternWest
09-10-2009, 12:09 PM
It's strange isn't it. I figured all Hawthorn were doing with Burgoyne was causing a trade-week log jam (like in each of the last few years with Thornton, O'Keefe, Spider Everitt etc etc). But they actually wanted him?

Nice post, everything you said here is correct IMO.

1eyedog
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
But if Lewis and Mitchell are going to give him the ball, then someone needs to block for THEM.

Yeah but he is hardly an inside mid like Sewell or Lewis. Most of his possessions are loose ball gets rather than hard ball gets. Clarkson will set him free to run like he does with Bateman.

1eyedog
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Croad will never play again and they don't have anyone else down back. As for rucks, well, they are going to hope they can develop some kids quickly.

Has this been sourced from somewhere or is it an opinion?

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah but he is hardly an inside mid like Sewell or Lewis. Most of his possessions are loose ball gets rather than hard ball gets. Clarkson will set him free to run like he does with Bateman.

I would have thought that Burgoyne, like Cooney and obviously Judd, is capable of winning a hard ball in close, but then being able to sprint away from everyone and almost make it a loose ball get

Are the Hawks thinking he will give them the type of run and carry that Bateman did in 2008

Topdog
10-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Hawks supporting mate thinks that they might move Mitchell to play some more in the HBF / behind the ball and allow Burgoyne to run on the ball a bit more.

As for the Croad bit it has been mentioned in a few newspapers that he may not play again. Hawks (much like Geelong with Egan) are adopting a wait and see approach.

1eyedog
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Hawks supporting mate thinks that they might move Mitchell to play some more in the HBF / behind the ball and allow Burgoyne to run on the ball a bit more.

As for the Croad bit it has been mentioned in a few newspapers that he may not play again. Hawks (much like Geelong with Egan) are adopting a wait and see approach.

Ok thanks I hadn't heard about that. Huge loss to them considering you would expect barring injury he would of had another two years in him, just enough time to blood a youngster. Would the Hawks try to pick up a McGuire do you think?

Topdog
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
A couple of links for you.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/croad-to-have-surgery-as-hawks-all-but-give-up-on-title-defence/2009/08/03/1249152558484.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/gibson-a-hawk-but-his-defection-leaves-roos-hopping-mad/2009/10/05/1254700978234.html

'We're very happy, we identified Josh as a player of need, particularly with the [foot] injury to Trent Croad worsening at the end of the year [and] he [Gibson] is very, very happy.''