PDA

View Full Version : Draft Talk....

FrediKanoute
09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
With Trade week winding down and the Doggies unlikely (though we have been linked) to make any more changes to the list I thought maybe it would be time to turn our attention to the draft. Yeah its still a month or so away, but it would be intersting to discuss what people think we need; what those in the know think we'll realisticaly get and who could possibly be around to fill these slots.

From what I have read, from forums, journo's, posts her on Woof there seems to be a general feeling that the draft is not as deep as prior seasons. Which seems reasonable since there are less guys eligible than in prior years. With that in mind, I think we probably only really need 2 maybe 3 picks in the draft and that we'd probably be better off, salary cap permitting of course, re-signing Aka and Eagle, since they are likely to give us more than a 4+ round pick would (unless we uncover a colossal gem).

In terms of what we select, I know that on tht other forum a lot of the Phantom Drafts which are posted seem to suggest that the doggies will again chase tall timber. I personally don't think so. I think we have a pretty solid pipeline of talls in Grant, Cordy, Roughie, Jones, Bouman, Williams, Everitt and Tiller (to a lesser extent). Why would we stock up on more developing talls.

That said, I don't necessarily think that we will solely go for midfield players either, but if we do I think we'll go looking for quick pacy mid-fielders capable of running the lines. Its no secret that Ray's departure left the succesion planning of Eagle's retirement with a short term gap. If possible we'd also look for a pacy small forward, with crumbing and goal kicking ability.

In short I really think that this draft is a draft where we will try to get a couple of specific player types, but again we will not overlook a bargain and if a top 10 slides I think we'll go the best available option and choose them. To me we have a couple of areas on the list which need attention, but they are not critical deficiencies.

Pedro Sanchez
09-10-2009, 05:13 AM
I would like to see an out and out rover - someone in the Royal or Platten mode that can just sniff the pill and work well in traffic at the foot of our ruckmen. Would be also nice if they know how to convert too. Especially considering that Cross and Boyd wont go forever and surely their inside style of play will have a greater impact on their bodies as opposed to the outty players such as Eagleton and co.

So for me its the smaller, naturally gifted and goal-orientated players that we should draft.

Thoughts...

comrade
09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I would like to see an out and out rover - someone in the Royal or Platten mode that can just sniff the pill and work well in traffic at the foot of our ruckmen. Would be also nice if they know how to convert too. Especially considering that Cross and Boyd wont go forever and surely their inside style of play will have a greater impact on their bodies as opposed to the outty players such as Eagleton and co.

So for me its the smaller, naturally gifted and goal-orientated players that we should draft.

Thoughts...

You basically described Tom Liberatore to a tee.

Regarding this year's draft, I hope we secure a line breaking mid and the best available forward (tall or small) with our first two picks, and use our third and fourth on either a ruckman or a mature defender.

bornadog
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
You basically described Tom Liberatore to a tee.

Regarding this year's draft, I hope we secure a line breaking mid and the best available forward (tall or small) with our first two picks, and use our third and fourth on either a ruckman or a mature defender.

Comrade, what sort of mature defender, would you think we need, ie a half back flanker, say around 185 to 190cm or a tall that can cover for either Lake or Williams if they are injured?

comrade
09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Comrade, what sort of mature defender, would you think we need, ie a half back flanker, say around 185 to 190cm or a tall that can cover for either Lake or Williams if they are injured?

Definitely a tall - at this stage I'm not counting on Williams to stay fit and Boumann is a couple of years away from holding down a key position. If we could pick up a bigger body that can cover the tall forwards and allow Morris the luxary of dominating in his weight division, I'd be delighted.

bornadog
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Definitely a tall - at this stage I'm not counting on Williams to stay fit and Boumann is a couple of years away from holding down a key position. If we could pick up a bigger body that can cover the tall forwards and allow Morris the luxary of dominating in his weight division, I'd be delighted.

We have to aslo expect that Lake may get injured at some time, so need to cover that as well.

I would love to pick up Jetta, or a similar player, although we thought Lynch was that type of player. I think we need a fast outside runner to replace an Eagleton. Cross, Boyd, Ward are all similar. Cooney and Griffen play a different type of roll.

Overall, we have to think about the longer term with this draft and find replacements for ageing players.

KT31
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM

I agere totally Comrade.
Another tall backman woul be a real assett.

mjp
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I would love to pick up Jetta, or a similar player, although we thought Lynch was that type of player. I think we need a fast outside runner to replace an Eagleton. Cross, Boyd, Ward are all similar. Cooney and Griffen play a different type of roll.

Jetta has already proven more at state senior level than Lynch has...and it isn't even close.

Sedat
09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
mjp, would be very keen to hear your thoughts on some diamonds in the rough currently plying their trade in the WAFL that we could pick up late in the ND/rookie draft who have the capability to adequately address our current list deficiencies.

Swoop
09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Jetta ticks a lot of boxes for us, firstly he is a ball carrying midfielder who provides speed. Secondly he has the ability to come in and have an impact straight away, I understand that he is still very light and he hasn't specifically played the forward pocket role before but I think we all acknowledge it would be a role he could easily adapt to with his attributes.

Similarly to Rioli he has the potential to come in and fill a void in our list for the moment as a forward and in the long term we would plan to develop him into a midfielder.

All this will depend on whether Dalrymple believes there are any quality talls still floating around and whether Jetta lasts to our pick.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
We need to pick up Sean Tighe damnit!

:)

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM

Yep, agree 100%.

I posted something similar in another thread, we definitely need to address the issue of another key tall defender. Nobody knows exactly how Williams body is going to hold up, and at this stage we don't have any backup in the position.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
You basically described Tom Liberatore to a tee. Regarding this year's draft, I hope we secure a line breaking mid and the best available forward (tall or small) with our first two picks, and use our third and fourth on either a ruckman or a mature defender.

Comrade, how far away is Liberatore, and for that matter, Wallis? Will they come up for father/son next year?

comrade
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Comrade, how far away is Liberatore, and for that matter, Wallis? Will they come up for father/son next year?

Unless something dramatically changes, both of them will be Bulldogs as of the end of November next year.

The Coon Dog
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Unless something dramatically changes, both of them will be Bulldogs as of the end of November next year.

Early October next year, F/S bidding occurs immediately prior to trade week.

GVGjr
09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
We need to pick up Sean Tighe damnit!

:)

I think he would be well worth a late pick or a rookie spot.

Mofra
09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I´d prefer a KPD in the first round, although those who know more than me suggest that this is a good year for mids.

A small goalsneak/chasing & tackling forward wouldn´t go astray either - The Brow is developing into a gun backman, Lynch is in no mans land and we´ll be drafting two potential guns next year :)

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I´d prefer a KPD in the first round, although those who know more than me suggest that this is a good year for mids.

A small goalsneak/chasing & tackling forward wouldn´t go astray either - The Brow is developing into a gun backman, Lynch is in no mans land and we´ll be drafting two potential guns next year :)

Agreed. I suppose the age old best available v team needs will be assessed at the time of our pick, though. I don't think we'll draft tall for the sake of it but if a solid KPD is available we should take him.

Is Wallis or Libba capable of playing outside roles? If so, maybe we don't need to draft one quite yet. We'll be able to focus on picking up another HFF/FP option.

comrade
09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Early October next year, F/S bidding occurs immediately prior to trade week.

Nice pick up - it's another bonus of having F/S selections that they're able to start pre-season training earlier than your standard draftee.

Mofra
09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Is Wallis or Libba capable of playing outside roles? If so, maybe we don't need to draft one quite yet. We'll be able to focus on picking up another HFF/FP option.
Some of the more astute u/18 wathchers have suggest Wallis can, which means we are getting 2 mids who compliment each other whilst everyone else gets screwed by the GC17 concessions. Life is good.

hujsh
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe we should look at getting a mature KP defender on the rookie list who could fill a role if/when Williams is injured.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Maybe we should look at getting a mature KP defender on the rookie list who could fill a role if/when Williams is injured.
Williams is due for a change of luck, if he can stay fit, almost like another recruit.

Mantis
09-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Do you have someone in mind?

mjp
09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Jetta ticks a lot of boxes for us, firstly he is a ball carrying midfielder who provides speed. Secondly he has the ability to come in and have an impact straight away, I understand that he is still very light and he hasn't specifically played the forward pocket role before but I think we all acknowledge it would be a role he could easily adapt to with his attributes.

Similarly to Rioli he has the potential to come in and fill a void in our list for the moment as a forward and in the long term we would plan to develop him into a midfielder.

All this will depend on whether Dalrymple believes there are any quality talls still floating around and whether Jetta lasts to our pick.

Getting Jetta is a good idea...but if we try and play him as a small forward and it doesn't work out - that is our fault, not his.

The problem I have with the whole 'stick him in the forward line' option for young players is that trying to play as a permanent fp is just about the toughest gig in footy - yet as supporters we seem to have an expectation that youngsters who have spent their lives playing up the ground can just come in and fill what we would all agree is a critical role in their first couple of seasons.

Do I think Jetta could do it? Probably not. We would see maybe an average of 10-12 touches and 1 goal a week from him playing as a permanent forward...if we did the same thing with Aker we would expect 16-20 touches and 2 ==> 2.5 goals per week...

I know what way I would go with the small-forward.

Mantis
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Getting Jetta is a good idea...but if we try and play him as a small forward and it doesn't work out - that is our fault, not his.

The problem I have with the whole 'stick him in the forward line' option for young players is that trying to play as a permanent fp is just about the toughest gig in footy - yet as supporters we seem to have an expectation that youngsters who have spent their lives playing up the ground can just come in and fill what we would all agree is a critical role in their first couple of seasons.

Do I think Jetta could do it? Probably not. We would see maybe an average of 10-12 touches and 1 goal a week from him playing as a permanent forward...if we did the same thing with Aker we would expect 16-20 touches and 2 ==> 2.5 goals per week...

I know what way I would go with the small-forward.

The draft is a futures market where you are trying to, without the use of a crystal ball, look at where player 'X' will be in 5 years and try to determine what type of role they will be filling.

Using your own crystal ball what type of role will Jetta be suited to in 5 years from now?

mjp
09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but Mantis the problem is the average career is THREE years...a five year crystal ball is no good.

To me, Jetta is ready to play and play in the midfield. Wing? Fine. I would be happy playing him off half-back as well. Yes he is skinny - but so what? Can he play? Yes. Will he get bigger and stronger? A bit...but I suspect he is going to be pretty lean for a few years yet.

He probably wont be there at our pick anyway so it is kind of irrelevant really. Then again, he is 20 years old and recruiters do make interesting decisions.

I will say if he was in the US he would still have a year of college to go and would be the consensus number 1 pick - he has done things at a senior level that no-one else in the draft has...

hujsh
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Do you have someone in mind?

I don't have the state level knowledge to suggest anyone but if a suitable option is available i think it would be a good fit.

LostDog
14-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I'd Love Jetta (could be our Junior Boy)
though I think we need a Key Position Back
with the Wonder Twins in Libba and Wallis coming next year we don't need any more midfielders

Jasper
14-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I'd Love Jetta (could be our Junior Boy)
though I think we need a Key Position Back
with the Wonder Twins in Libba and Wallis coming next year we don't need any more midfielders

I admit I've only seen Wallis and Libba in the TAC GF but neither looked overly quick (their dads weren't if genes are an indicator).

Apart from Harbrow who is out and out fast in our team....Aker...Eagle?? I feel the need...the need for speed. A good kick would also be handy. Have a look at Jetta on the Utube embedded in this BF thread it shows some X factor that I think we need in the SANFL WAFL state game. He is very quick...footy smart and not a bad kick. Ideally we need a player who could slot in next year with Saints and Hawks getting quicker, we need to as well.

Post 14
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642087

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I admit I've only seen Wallis and Libba in the TAC GF but neither looked overly quick (their dads weren't if genes are an indicator).

Apart from Harbrow who is out and out fast in our team....Aker...Eagle?? I feel the need...the need for speed. A good kick would also be handy. Have a look at Jetta on the Utube embedded in this BF thread it shows some X factor that I think we need in the SANFL WAFL state game. He is very quick...footy smart and not a bad kick. Ideally we need a player who could slot in next year with Saints and Hawks getting quicker, we need to as well.

Post 14
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642087

Certainly need to draft a player with pace and good foot skills in this one. I suspect we'll weigh up the options though. A CHB is crucial and considering GC/WS will be taking all the quality for the next few years we'll be hard pressed to find another opportunity to draft one in. If a player like Talia is available (I've only read reviews admittedly) then we'd need to take him. Lake won't be around forever, Williams can't string together more than five games and Boumann is raw.

However, I really hope we draft a quick player with our second pick. Whether it's as a HBF, midfielder or HFF - it's a must.

We'll need to be clever in our list management over the next 4 years. To ensure we're still playing finals, we need to find replacements for the likes of Hahn/Gia/Murphy/Gilbee/Hargrave. It's been a while since we've drafted players who primarily play off a HFF or a HBF. I suspect that may change in this years draft.

chef
15-10-2009, 07:46 AM
We'll need to be clever in our list management over the next 4 years. To ensure we're still playing finals, we need to find replacements for the likes of Hahn/Gia/Murphy/Gilbee/Hargrave. It's been a while since we've drafted players who primarily play off a HFF or a HBF. I suspect that may change in this years draft.

Will Brad Sheppard be an option?

Can anyone who has seen him play tell me a bit more about him.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Will Brad Sheppard be an option?

Can anyone who has seen him play tell me a bit more about him.

I have only seen a bit of footage, so probably others can tell you more but - he looks a good player to me and I'm not convinced he'll survive to our selection.

He can stand up in the tackle, his hands are good and so is his vision in close. Not bad overhead and reads the flight of the ball well. His kicking at full tilt could use a bit of work and tends to be a bit up and under at times. Good around the clearance (although can lack a bit of composure at times), good enough speed, and good deft kicking skills off a couple of steps.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Jasper
15-10-2009, 09:40 PM
A CHB is crucial and considering GC/WS will be taking all the quality for the next few years we'll be hard pressed to find another opportunity to draft one in. If a player like Talia is available (I've only read reviews admittedly) then we'd need to take him. Lake won't be around forever, Williams can't string together more than five games and Boumann is raw.

How many tall players are too many.??
Tall Backs
Jones
Boumann
Williams

Tall Forwards/Rucks
Cordy
Roughead
Grant
Everitt

Honestly think we are well stocked with developing talls. Don't think we should draft another. Also would prefer to be drafting shorter term, to ensure we can replace Aker and Eagle. We are overstocked with slower bigger bodied mids and have no really fast skillful players in the pipeline, unless you count Lynch (I don't)

Strongly believe we need get fast mids or small forwards in this draft. A quarterback to replace Gilbee would be handy as well. Don't think we should draft any talls unless a gun slips

hujsh
15-10-2009, 10:03 PM
How many tall players are too many.??
Tall Backs

Boumann
Williams
Jones

Tall Forwards/Rucks
Cordy
Roughead
Grant
Everitt

One more won't hurt in defence. Especially considering Jones sounds like a CHF. We don't want to end up without any key backs

EDIT: Also looks thinner when you consider Roughead as a ruckman is in a different category and Everitt may not be a KPP.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Tall Backs
Jones - Recruited and playing as a forward currently. Early signs look OK.
Boumann - Playing back and is improving. Still no certainty/some way off senior footy.
Williams - Injury prone and hasn't shown a lot form wise. I wouldn't have him in future plans - needs to string games and form together first.

Tall Forwards/Rucks
Cordy - Yep, long way off though. He was always going to take 3-4 years before he could play.
Roughead - Should get a few games next year. He's a young ruck, not really a KPF.
Grant - Seems to have a few doubters, but I think he has plenty of talent.
Everitt - Not a KPP.

Little bit of an analysis above.

We haven't got anyone that is a certainty to make it at this stage. Some look pretty good, some are injury prone and others haven't fired a shot yet. They all still have plenty of time but we are by no means in the 'safe zone' for key stocks yet. Roughead would be my pick of the bunch so far. I think we're 1 more CHB short which is where Talia might be high on our list. If Butcher drops, we'd look at him too.

I certainly agree that we need to replace some of our half backs and half forwards. We're getting two pretty good midfield prospects next year (Wallis/Libba) so I don't think we should be making it our number one priority. Traditionally, midfielders are dime a dozen and you can pick up quality in every draft. We should be able to find one with our second pick.

It all depends who's available in the end. If there's an OK tall vs. a gun midfielder, we would (and should) take the latter. If ithere's not much between them, take the tall.

Hotdog60
16-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Draft Preview with Simon Dalrymple

With Trade Week done and dusted, Western Bulldogs Recruiting and Football Partnerships Manager Simon Dalrymple has taken time out to discuss the upcoming NAB AFL Draft on November 26 with our supporters.

Simon thanks for your time, looking back on last week, apart from the acquisition of Barry Hall, it was a pretty quiet week for the Club at the trade table.

We are thrilled to get Barry Hall and thankfully that was achieved early in the week. There was a bit of interest in Andrejs Everitt but we held strong to our belief that he has considerable improvement in him. The Club made it very clear that Andrejs was a required player and we are very happy that he will be with the Club next year.

There has been a lot of talk around that it will be a very shallow draft this year, what are your thoughts on this?

It is hard for me to compare previous drafts because this will be my first one. But looking at the numbers in the talent pool it’s probably a fair assumption, taking into account the number of quality players taken last year as 17 year olds. Players of the calibre of Jack Watts, Sam Blease, Liam Shiels, Jack Ziebel were all drafted last year as underage players and would have all added significant depth to the 2009 Draft. So with all these things considered I agree with the assessment of this year’s pool.

Full Story (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/86070/default.aspx)

Looks like we'll grab John Butcher if he goes that low. Also interesting how he mentions the 4 year cycle to see if a player has what it takes, Unless you upset someone like GO'K did.:)

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-10-2009, 06:05 PM

I thought that Boumann when tried as a key defender with Williamstown looks the most likely should anything happen to Lake, (God forbid) or Williams.

hujsh
16-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I thought that Boumann when tried as a key defender with Williamstown looks the most likely should anything happen to Lake, (God forbid) or Williams.

Whether he'd be ready or not may be an issue. It'd be nice to be able to cover Williams being injured either way.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I just visited BF for the first time 3 years to find fantasy draft crap to start a conversation. Many uneducated posters, but some seeming good watchers, put forward some fantasy drafts.

Most had pick 15 being used on Melksham from Calder, BOG in the GF. A mid. Some had Talia and Griffiths, i know nothing of Griffiths and suspect Talia will go higher than 15. Thoughts?

With pick 32, it was split between Sam Reid and Crichton. I know nothing. Thoughts?

No-one seemed to touch Temel, Thompson (Bomber's nephew) or Majak Daw. Would we be interested in any as a rookie. Temel seems a little like Sedat Sir, but at the other end. Majak could be good for numerous reasons, not least of which he has some raw talent. I love Thompson's kicking for goal. Better than 80% for the season, should be worthy of a good look???

(p.s. - I know all of things are shit and written by 12 year olds, no need to tell me. It's just a conversation starter)

comrade
19-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Chrichton at 31 would be a super result IMO. He had a quietish carnival, but is quick, makes good decisions and has an appetite for tackling. He's skinny, but I think he could handle playing at the highest level pretty much straight away (similar to Hill at Freo).

I'm not sold on Melksham - there's something 'Sam Power-ish' about him.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Chrichton at 31 would be a super result IMO. He had a quietish carnival, but is quick, makes good decisions and has an appetite for tackling. He's skinny, but I think he could handle playing at the highest level pretty much straight away (similar to Hill at Freo).

If Talia and Butcher are gone as expected. Who doesn't look either 'Sam Power-ish' or 'Tim Walsh-ish'?

Moore or Stevens?

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Clayton loved Melksham. I think he would have been a big chance if Clayton was still there.

I'd like to see Mike's boy, Black, in the Tri-colour.

The Sam Power clone is Brad Shephard of East Fremantle.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Clayton loved Melksham. I think he would have been a big chance if Clayton was still there.

I'd like to see Mike's boy, Black, in the Tri-colour.

The Sam Power clone is Brad Shephard of East Fremantle.
What's the charm of Black SS?

GVGjr
19-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I just visited BF for the first time 3 years to find fantasy draft crap to start a conversation. Many uneducated posters, but some seeming good watchers, put forward some fantasy drafts.

Most had pick 15 being used on Melksham from Calder, BOG in the GF. A mid. Some had Talia and Griffiths, i know nothing of Griffiths and suspect Talia will go higher than 15. Thoughts?

With pick 32, it was split between Sam Reid and Crichton. I know nothing. Thoughts?

No-one seemed to touch Temel, Thompson (Bomber's nephew) or Majak Daw. Would we be interested in any as a rookie. Temel seems a little like Sedat Sir, but at the other end. Majak could be good for numerous reasons, not least of which he has some raw talent. I love Thompson's kicking for goal. Better than 80% for the season, should be worthy of a good look???

(p.s. - I know all of things are shit and written by 12 year olds, no need to tell me. It's just a conversation starter)

They are of course guesses.

Melksham is a nice midfielder who will settle in as a winger. He had an average U18 carnival but a great finals series. The U18 form was a concern because he didn't respond well to the lift in standards.

Griffiths is a big mobile CHF with a thumping kick but I've never really been impressed the times I have seen him play. I think he's more of a 2nd round pick.

Talia's been mentioned on here heaps but could be around when we have our first pick.

Temel is a late order pick. He's not quick off the mark but he was very good in the finals.
He's supposed to be 194cm but I think he might be 192cm.

Daw is latish pick as well but might go before our 4th round pick.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2009, 06:41 PM
What's the charm of Black SS?

Mike's brainwashed me by telling me over and over how good this kid is.

195cm athletic forward who played 1 or 2 games in the backline and a few in the ruck.

Played the last 3 games in the Peel seniors on a wing. The maximum number of B & F votes Peel give for any one player in one game is 18. In the last two rounds Black got 35 votes.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 06:47 PM

195cm athletic forward who played 1 or 2 games in the backline and a few in the ruck.

Played the last 3 games in the Peel seniors on a wing. The maximum number of B & F votes Peel give for any one player in one game is 18. In the last two rounds Black got 35 votes.
Ok. But what are his strengthes :)

Mantis
19-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Last time we got brainwashed by Mike was when he kept telling us to pick up this skinny kid from the Western Jets who went ok a couple of years back..... What a terrible decision that was.;)

FrediKanoute
24-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Is there any chance of us drafting Groenewegon's kid?

GVGjr
24-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Is there any chance of us drafting Groenewegon's kid?

He's struggled this year with injury but the club would know him his talents very well. Possible draft pick

Doc26
24-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Would miss him under father / son rule with 79 games.

Doc26
24-10-2009, 12:41 AM
btw On a seperate topic, which has been previously discussed, the AFL Commission ruled this week that rookie listed players may now be retained for 3 years, up from the current/previous 2 years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86302/default.aspx

Twodogs
24-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Would miss him under father / son rule with 79 games.

Do not get me started on that rule change. We were stitched up like a kipper. I am normally a fairly solid supporter of this AFL administration but changing the rule from 50 to 100 games affected our club more than any other. With Reid's dad and a few others dads falling between the 50-100 game we were ripped off badly!

LostDoggy
24-10-2009, 12:28 PM
i think carlton might think otherwise they missed out on lloyd through fs because of 100 game rule

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2009, 12:41 PM
i think carlton might think otherwise they missed out on lloyd through fs because of 100 game rule

Not by the 50 to 100 game change.

John Lloyd only played 29 games for Carlton.

Only 1 player in history got taken under f/s where the father played less than 50 games and that was Mark Pitura to Richmond. Nothing less than out-and-out corruption.

Doc26
24-10-2009, 04:54 PM
John Lloyd only played 29 games for Carlton.

John Lloyd captain coached Braybrook to three premierships following his time at Carlton.

And as a sideline for those not aware was the home of Ted Whitten (5 x FFC BF), Doug Hawkins (1 x FFC BF), George Bisset, (1 x FFC BF), Ray Walker (1 x FFC BF), Brian Wilson (Brownlow but not with us), Wally Donald (1 x FFC BF), Robert Groenwegen, Gary Merrington, Ivan Marsh, Johnny Craddock (Captained Footscray to 3 premierships in VFA). 9 Bulldog B&Fs out of this with 4 of these making the Bulldog Team of the Century.

The Coon Dog
24-10-2009, 05:08 PM
John Lloyd captain coached Braybrook to three premierships following his time at Carlton.

And as a sideline for those not aware was the home of Ted Whitten (5 x FFC BF), Doug Hawkins (1 x FFC BF), George Bisset, (1 x FFC BF), Ray Walker (1 x FFC BF), Brian Wilson (Brownlow but not with us), Wally Donald (1 x FFC BF), Robert Groenwegen, Gary Merrington, Ivan Marsh, Johnny Craddock (Captained Footscray to 3 premierships in VFA). 9 Bulldog B&Fs out of this with 4 of these making the Bulldog Team of the Century.

Including the Captain & Vice Captain of that team.

Doc26
24-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Including the Captain & Vice Captain of that team.

Last I had heard Braybrook had produced 33 league players. Those I know of currently are Heath Scotland and Albert Proud although it would seem Albert is hanging in there now by a thread.

ledge
24-10-2009, 07:26 PM

You forgot the great TCD!

Doc26
24-10-2009, 10:22 PM
You forgot the great TCD!

Aah so The Coon Dog was one of those 33 Brookers mentioned above ;) The plot thickens.

strebla
25-10-2009, 10:25 AM
We miss on Terry Wallets kid aswell next year

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Do not get me started on that rule change. We were stitched up like a kipper. I am normally a fairly solid supporter of this AFL administration but changing the rule from 50 to 100 games affected our club more than any other. With Reid's dad and a few others dads falling between the 50-100 game we were ripped off badly!

Couldn't agree with you more Twodogs

Gift the SANFL and WAFL kids to the interstate clubs for years and then tighten it up for everyone, and we miss out

Add to the fact they made us take Cordy with a 1st instead of a 3rd round pick

The Bulldogs Bite
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Re-visiting this thread after the recollection of the Phantom Draft, I am very interested to see what player we draft with Pick 15.

If Talia/Jetta aren't available, I am beginning to think we should look very closely at Callum Bartlett. I really don't think he will be available at our second pick and he ticks the box with the type of midfielder we need most. Explosive, run & carry type with elite disposal.

It's a risk but providing he's recovered OK then I would be happy to jump early.

bulldogsman
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Re-visiting this thread after the recollection of the Phantom Draft, I am very interested to see what player we draft with Pick 15.

If Talia/Jetta aren't available, I am beginning to think we should look very closely at Callum Bartlett. I really don't think he will be available at our second pick and he ticks the box with the type of midfielder we need most. Explosive, run & carry type with elite disposal.

It's a risk but providing he's recovered OK then I would be happy to jump early.

According to Matt Burgan he's very likely to be there at our second round as it seems his injury worries is what's stopping him going higher. At the start of the year I thought he would go first round before his injury so I wouldn't be against picking him up at 15

Very interested to see who Dalrymple picks up compared to Clayton. Looking at Matt Burgan's new top 17 it looks like we won't be taking someone out of left field, still a long way to go I guess though. Anyone have inside news who were keen on apart from Jasper McMillan-Pittard?

wb_age
04-11-2009, 09:12 PM

I just checked out his highlight real, the kid looks the goods.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50973/callum+bartlett+highlights/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB

Some quality plays at:
1.17 minute mark
2.00 minute mark
2.17 minute mark

The Bulldogs Bite
04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
According to Matt Burgan he's very likely to be there at our second round as it seems his injury worries is what's stopping him going higher. At the start of the year I thought he would go first round before his injury so I wouldn't be against picking him up at 15

Very interested to see who Dalrymple picks up compared to Clayton. Looking at Matt Burgan's new top 17 it looks like we won't be taking someone out of left field, still a long way to go I guess though. Anyone have inside news who were keen on apart from Jasper McMillan-Pittard?

In a draft that's relatively even and with few elite kicks, I really think clubs are going to be tempted to take Bartlett in the first round. I suspect he'll be taken in the 10-25 range as clubs would be well aware of his talents. It'll be really interesting to see how the first round pans out.

I just checked out his highlight real, the kid looks the goods.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50973/callum+bartlett+highlights/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB

Some quality plays at:
1.17 minute mark
2.00 minute mark
2.17 minute mark

Thanks for that, some great clips. Love his disposal and pace.

Bulldog Revolution
04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
He looks a very similar left foot kick to Luke Hodge

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2009, 01:29 AM
He looks a very similar left foot kick to Luke Hodge

Plays more like Jarrod Harbrow

Mofra
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM

No disrespect to Burgan, but nobody saw Everitt going at 11 (granted we had Clayton at the helm whose record with first rounders was worse than his other picks).

Given it's the first year of Dalrymple I'd expect a safe pick for our first round, but there are probably kids who haven't been mentioned yet that will get picked up after that.

Mofra
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Another question to put into cyber-land; what do people think of Sean Tighe? Haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere yet we have apparently at least spoken to him.

LostDoggy
05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Another question to put into cyber-land; what do people think of Sean Tighe? Haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere yet we have apparently at least spoken to him.

Dont know much about him but here is a clip. I think he won the Jets B & F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT6PQkqs9yI

Mitcha
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Good player who came of age this season along the lines of Jayden Post last year and would possibly be a late second, early third rounder. 197cm with good agility and is dangerous up forward. Most likely to be key position prospect who could have short spells as a ruckman. Worth a look, did win the Jets B and F.

LostDoggy
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm good mates with Sean, we're all hoping he gets to the doggies.
Brisbane and WB have interviewed him though.

bulldogsman
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM
In a draft that's relatively even and with few elite kicks, I really think clubs are going to be tempted to take Bartlett in the first round. I suspect he'll be taken in the 10-25 range as clubs would be well aware of his talents. It'll be really interesting to see how the first round pans out.

I think your right. Although it's not there priority I know Geelong are interested at first pick and are doing a medical on him (same guy who said Selwood's knee was fine). Rumour has it a few other clubs are looking at him with interest too bulldogs being one of them.