PDA

View Full Version : Fevola (and just about everyone else) to Brisbane

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Deal has been done and I thought it worthy of its own thread. I think the Lions odds have shortened significantly for the flag next year, they have had a mammoth week on the trade table. It is obviously a long way away but based on their year and the ins I would think they would certainly be a top 4 favourite and (like us) will bridge the gap on the ig two next year.

"The Brendan Fevola deal is done. He's heading to the Lions. Lachlan Henderson and pick No.12 to Carlton for Fevola and pick 27"

They have also picked up Brent Staker, Amon Buchanan, Andrew Raines and Xavier Clarke

aker39
09-10-2009, 12:28 PM
How does a forward line operate with Brown, Bradshaw & Fevola

EasternWest
09-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think Bradshaw returns to the back line.

Sedat
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
How does a forward line operate with Brown, Bradshaw & Fevola
Bradshaw will play down back you'd imagine - might help prolong his career. Buchanan will help with the defensive pressure in the forward 50. Brown to CHF. Fev to the goal square. Could work. A lot of egos that will need to be massaged.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
There is some talk that Bradshaw could fill a defensive role. Another school of thought is that Bradshaw still might be offered up to another Victorian club.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Sheesh, you guys are quick off the mark (or my internet is too slow) :)

Mantis
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Brisbane seem to be putting all there eggs in the one basket with the recruitment of a number of 'mature' players. It may turn out to be a masterstroke due a supposed 'weak' draft, but if they don't win a flag over the next 2 or 3 years while both Brown & Fev are in their prime this move may backfire as they won't have much coming through.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I think if nothing else this is a massive marketing coup for Brisbane in the same way Cousins was for Richmond. It will put butts in the seats and there will be at least a small spike in memberships. For a non-traditional AFL state I think the value is tenfold, there may actually be a frontpage AFL story in Qld for the next few days.

I think Port Adelaide should have been another club that looked at Fev. God knows they could use him up forward, but it would have created a bit of a buzz around a club that nobody wants to go to, where crowds are down, and the fans seem frustrated with nothing ot look forward to.

Throughandthrough
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Interesting email flying around the traps of Fevalenko's "supposed" dramas on Brownlow night, detailling a number of incidents.

No idea if they are true, but IF they are explains why Carlton were so keen to get rid of him.

Throughandthrough
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
NB I presume Brisbane are paying his entire salary then?

Carlton seems to have lost in every other part of this deal.

EasternWest
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Interesting email flying around the traps of Fevalenko's "supposed" dramas on Brownlow night, detailling a number of incidents.

No idea if they are true, but IF they are explains why Carlton were so keen to get rid of him.

Pray tell?

aker39
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Have a listen to what Neil Mitchell had to say this morning.

http://www.3aw.com.au/

Hotdog60
09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Rumor has it the Bradshaw may retire. I had a thought that what if Bradshaw when to Carlton and then retired at the start of the season, could he do that.

Remi Moses
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Not strong enough in the midfield for mine,they still rely heavily on Black,and Power.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Rumor has it the Bradshaw may retire. I had a thought that what if Bradshaw when to Carlton and then retired at the start of the season, could he do that.

That would be HILARIOUS.

hujsh
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Have a listen to what Neil Mitchell had to say this morning.

http://www.3aw.com.au/

He did say it was reported on a 'scurrilous' website so for all we know it was BF. Guy sounds sure it happened though.

Ozza
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
If Bradshaw doesn't retire - the lions go into 2010 with
Brown turning 30
Bradshaw turning 32
Black turning 31
And Power is about to tick over to 30...

With Fev as a 28 year old and these 5 being clearly their most important players - they are having a red hot crack at a flag I guess. I remain very unconvinced that they have the right balance to do it though.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Allegation of sexual assault:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26186810-12377,00

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
OMG! If half of these rumours are true, I'm so darn glad we got Hall and not Fevalenko, who it seems will never grow up! An perceived anger management problem is perhaps easier to control than a perceived drinking problem, me thinks! :D

ledge
09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Fevalenko? please dont mix those two names up, they are complete opposites.
One I respect tremendously, the other I dont in the slightest.
Try Fevdak or Wayne Fevola......

Before I Die
09-10-2009, 07:54 PM
If Bradshaw doesn't retire - the lions go into 2010 with
Brown turning 30
Bradshaw turning 32
Black turning 31
And Power is about to tick over to 30...

With Fev as a 28 year old and these 5 being clearly their most important players - they are having a red hot crack at a flag I guess. I remain very unconvinced that they have the right balance to do it though.

They may believe that they can off load a few aging stars to GC at the end of 2010 for early picks. GC will want experienced players for the short term and players moving from the Lions to GC won't have to move far. Could prove to be a handy "get out of jail free" card if Fev doesn't deliver.

EasternWest
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
OMG! If half of these rumours are true, I'm so darn glad we got Hall and not Fevalenko, who it seems will never grow up! An perceived anger management problem is perhaps easier to control than a perceived drinking problem, me thinks! :D

I stand to be corrected on this, but I'm of the belief that Hall is well respected and liked at Sydney and is well thought of by his now ex-teammates (on field indiscretions aside). I wonder how Fevola's ex-teammates at Carlton feel about him.

We definitely set our sights on the right one, personality wise. Fev is a tool.

Topdog
10-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I dare say Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs aren't too fond of him. Actually add Juddy to that list too.

GVGjr
10-10-2009, 09:28 AM
What I found really interesting in the whole Fevola saga was even armed with some of the facts about his behavior on Brownlow night a number of Carlton supporters still thought he shouldn't be traded.
Quite frankly it was a untenable position to keep him there and the club had no choice. I also think there would have been a player revolt if he wasn't moved on.

Carlton basically got McLean and Henderson for Fevola and pick 27 and that will set them back a couple of seasons.

dog town
10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I admire the belief Voss has in his ability but I dont understand some of his moves in this trade week. I think getting Fevola is fair enough if he thinks he can control him but he has not addressed some of the major holes in his side. They have 1,000 ball carrying half back flankers and not only did they get Raines but they also chased other players in the same mould. Basically all the lions have are big forwards and running half backs and they spent half the trade period chasing these types of players. The lions are atrocious in the midfield and were massacred in the stoppages all year. Not only do they not win clearances but opposition teams explode out of them and hurt them on the scoreboard. Simon Black is amazing at what he does but in a lot of ways is very limited. Black desperately needed support in the midfield. They needed some inside grunt and by the looks of it they didnt even try. Surely Voss is aware of this deficiency?

Doc26
10-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Scott Gullan from HS has rated the Lions trading today as an A+.

"Where have you been all our lives, Vossy? This is exactly how trade week should be approached. Slash and burn your list, and plunder other clubs. Getting Fevola is an act of pure genius as it will now mean the Lions have the scariest forward line in living memory. The other four have shown enough to not rule out some serious improvement in a new environment"

Even with their new old look line up can't see how they've addressed the key deficiences that were highlighted in our SF drubbing of them at the G a few weeks back in very windy conditions. At this point at least I would favour our chances even moreso if that scenario presented itself again in 2010.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I admire the belief Voss has in his ability but I dont understand some of his moves in this trade week. I think getting Fevola is fair enough if he thinks he can control him but he has not addressed some of the major holes in his side. They have 1,000 ball carrying half back flankers and not only did they get Raines but they also chased other players in the same mould. Basically all the lions have are big forwards and running half backs and they spent half the trade period chasing these types of players. The lions are atrocious in the midfield and were massacred in the stoppages all year. Not only do they not win clearances but opposition teams explode out of them and hurt them on the scoreboard. Simon Black is amazing at what he does but in a lot of ways is very limited. Black desperately needed support in the midfield. They needed some inside grunt and by the looks of it they didnt even try. Surely Voss is aware of this deficiency?

I can't believe Voss didn't throw everything at Luke Ball.

The one bloke that could have really helped them, was available, and we didn't hear a peep. It seemed he was too busy stacking up on 2012's list cloggers.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Scott Gullan from HS has rated the Lions trading today as an A+.

"Where have you been all our lives, Vossy? This is exactly how trade week should be approached. Slash and burn your list, and plunder other clubs. Getting Fevola is an act of pure genius as it will now mean the Lions have the scariest forward line in living memory. The other four have shown enough to not rule out some serious improvement in a new environment"

Even with their new old look line up can't see how they've addressed the key deficiences that were highlighted in our SF drubbing of them at the G a few weeks back in very windy conditions. At this point at least I would favour our chances even moreso if that scenario presented itself again in 2010.

That is simply from a self-centred POV from the journo. Journos need something to write about and Voss gave them plenty.

Good career move from Voss - keep the journos happy and they'll never write anything bad about you and support you keeping your job forever, the Neale Daniher rule.

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Personally I was suprised that they didn't have a crack at Ball.

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Ah snap. SS took the words right out of my mouth.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
If we had know about Henderson being available, I would have liked to have got him and sent Dre to Carlton.

The Coon Dog
10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
If we had know about Henderson being available, I would have liked to have got him and sent Dre to Carlton.

But a wise man once said, 'trading is the work of the devil'.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 02:28 PM
But a wise man once said, 'trading is the work of the devil'.

That's always the rider.

The Pie Man
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
That's always the rider.

I think a wise man also said that one of the only reasons you would consider a trade is if it involved a fringe player - which potential aside, Dre is.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I think a wise man also said that one of the only reasons you would consider a trade is if it involved a fringe player - which potential aside, Dre is.

You don't trade a fringe player just because he's a fringe player.

You only trade him if he asks to be traded.

You can let him know he's not likely to get much of a go so he'd be better off moving somewhere else, but if he wants to stay and fight for his spot you keep him.

The Pie Man
11-10-2009, 02:26 AM
You don't trade a fringe player just because he's a fringe player.

You only trade him if he asks to be traded.

You can let him know he's not likely to get much of a go so he'd be better off moving somewhere else, but if he wants to stay and fight for his spot you keep him.

All fair points and would be considered fair treatment in my view - I didn't say you'd trade someone just because they are a fringe player.....just with that train of thought and following potential player/coach conversations of the quoted nature, a fringe player is more likely to be involved in a trade.

Remi Moses
11-10-2009, 03:31 AM
In need of a small forward as well,just can't see the forward pressure coming from Fev or Browny.

LostDoggy
11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Fevalenko? please dont mix those two names up, they are complete opposites.
One I respect tremendously, the other I dont in the slightest.
Try Fevdak or Wayne Fevola......

You make an extremely good point Ledge - and I really like your mix of names - Fevdak is the best I reckon! :D

Doc26
16-10-2009, 09:58 PM
One gets the feeling that 'Angry' Adrian Anderson is hanging out to make a statement re Fevola's actions on Brownlow night. He's threatened a lengthy suspension IF the alleged sexual assault claims are validated. Could still be more to the story IF she does decide to come forward and Adrian appears to be openly encouraging her to do so.

Sockeye Salmon
16-10-2009, 10:15 PM
One gets the feeling that 'Angry' Adrian Anderson is hanging out to make a statement re Fevola's actions on Brownlow night. He's threatened a lengthy suspension IF the alleged sexual assault claims are validated. Could still be more to the story IF she does decide to come forward and Adrian appears to be openly encouraging her to do so.

How would you feel if you were Vossy?

You've traded away pick 12 and Henderson, lost Bradshaw, and the saviour gets rubbed out for bringing the game into disrepute.

Wish it would happen to Carlton instead.

BulldogBelle
17-10-2009, 12:40 AM
I can't believe Voss didn't throw everything at Luke Ball.

Never say never - looks like they are chasing him now.....

Brisbane Lions look to Luke Ball after Daniel Bradshaw bails (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-look-to-luke-ball-after-daniel-bradshaw-bails/story-e6frf9jf-1225787732512)

BRISBANE Lions will make a major play for disenchanted Saint Luke Ball after star key-position player Daniel Bradshaw yesterday walked away from the club in search of one last bumper contract.

Go_Dogs
17-10-2009, 10:35 AM
How would you feel if you were Vossy?

You've traded away pick 12 and Henderson, lost Bradshaw, and the saviour gets rubbed out for bringing the game into disrepute.

Wish it would happen to Carlton instead.

Apparently Brisbane were well aware of the allegations and pending investigation, so ... bad luck!

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Deal has been done and I thought it worthy of its own thread. I think the Lions odds have shortened significantly for the flag next year, they have had a mammoth week on the trade table. It is obviously a long way away but based on their year and the ins I would think they would certainly be a top 4 favourite and (like us) will bridge the gap on the ig two next year.

"The Brendan Fevola deal is done. He's heading to the Lions. Lachlan Henderson and pick No.12 to Carlton for Fevola and pick 27"

Clarke

The danger is that bringing in so many rejects from other clubs could well destroy the fabric of the club. If you were the Bulldogs would you really want to be recruiting Staker, Buchanan, Raines and Clarke? Not likely with the list we have.
Given Bradshaw's reputation at Brisbane, the signing of Fevola still remains a risky proposition.

The Adelaide Connection
17-10-2009, 11:38 AM
The danger is that bringing in so many rejects from other clubs could well destroy the fabric of the club. If you were the Bulldogs would you really want to be recruiting Staker, Buchanan, Raines and Clarke? Not likely with the list we have.
Given Bradshaw's reputation at Brisbane, the signing of Fevola still remains a risky proposition.

My opinion has certainly changed given recent developments. At the time I thought adding fevola to their forwardline, bradshaw to their backline andhaving another 6 senior players around for a bit of depth would have seen them take another big step forward. Of course since then they have seemingly lost Bradshaw, Fevola may get suspended and they perplexingly culled seven senior players.

They desperately need to get Ball and have gotta hope they can gtsomething in the PSD