PDA

View Full Version : Steven Tiller: 2010

bulldogtragic
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I have always liked Stevey T. I think he has a fair bit of potential and injuries held him back this year. With our defencive line pretty solid and Bou coming through too, should we persist with him as a 4th back, or give him a go forward (as he was drafted to be)?

For mine, Lake, Williams, Hargy, Morris, Callan, Everitt if needs be and the continued development of Bou is pretty solid cover with Tiller able to play back if needed. With Grant not coming on as hoped and Jones, Cordy and Roughy sometime off, Tiller could be a handy target forward. I don't see Hahn in our best 22 next year and I see Tiller more than able to play the role Hahn was playing. I think Tiller has the body to keep getting bigger, a little like Gehrig as a slender HBF, turned gorilla forward. So with Hall only likely to have a few years left, I would like to see if Tiller could move forward, continue bulk and see first hand how Barry does it, with the view to take over his position.

Where do you see him fitting in, in 2010.

GVGjr
10-10-2009, 06:48 PM
For some reason or another the club seems to have given up on him being used or even developed into a forward and I think we might be missing out on something there.

I see him primarily as a defender however, he does have plenty of competition there. I'd like to think he could be used as a FP from time to time playing alongside of a genuine key forward.

Williams, Hargrave, Morris and Everitt are all direct competition for him in the backline and Boumann not far behind him either. There is probably more opportunities in the forward line but I'm not sure if the coaching team see's that as a viable option.

He needs to step up and have a good season next year so that he just doesn't become a regular Williamstown player.

AndrewP6
10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree to an extent, he could be used at times in a FP... not sure he could take over where Bazza leaves off... but definitely could add value. Just looking at the WB site, he's only 22, I thought he was older...

bulldogtragic
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree to an extent, he could be used at times in a FP... not sure he could take over where Bazza leaves off... but definitely could add value. Just looking at the WB site, he's only 22, I thought he was older...
Tiller was a taken a year early. Although Clayton says it all the time... he said he expected Tiller to be a likely top 10 pick if not taken a year early. So he has been behind the 8 ball for expectation, but internally he has been highly rated and this year was hurt by injuries.

azabob
10-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Massive fan of S.Tiller.
Thought he performed quite well in the last 3 games of 2007 (his first 3 games) as a leading forward from the goal square, so I was quite suprised he was used mainly down back last year. His finals series in 2008 was fantastic. Attack on the ball and man was first class.

To me he is a guy who will give 100% everytime he goes out there.

I think there is a great opportunity for one of the younger players such as Tiller, Grant, Roughead to play alongside Hall. Or will this opportunity fall to Minson or Hahn?

He copped a few injuries this year and couldn't shake them off, similar to Sam Ried.

I would like to think Tiller can and will be in our best 22, wether that is as the 3rd tall in defence or 2nd tall down forward.

Could Tiller being used in defence be due to Williams being injured more often than not?

Scorlibo
10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
For some reason people think of Tiller as an up and coming youngster, even though he'll be 23 to start next year. I like him as a back up player, but he's not in our best 22 and doesn't deserve to be.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
For some reason people think of Tiller as an up and coming youngster, even though he'll be 23 to start next year. I like him as a back up player, but he's not in our best 22 and doesn't deserve to be.

Agreed.

His decision making and disposal is ordinary. He's played a couple of solid games, but he hasn't ever cemented a spot in the side. His game has changed a fair bit from when he first arrived at the club. He's a real hard nut now without having any glowing advantage over his opponents.

Like a few of the others, I would like to see him played up forward at times. The NAB Cup would be a perfect time to trial this. Does anyone think Tiller would be able to play a Max Rooke type of role for us? IMO Tiller doesn't have the polish to be a 'dangerous' forward, but he could provide some defensive grunt that a lot of premiership sides have.

1eyedog
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I have always liked Stevey T. I think he has a fair bit of potential and injuries held him back this year. With our defencive line pretty solid and Bou coming through too, should we persist with him as a 4th back, or give him a go forward (as he was drafted to be)?

For mine, Lake, Williams, Hargy, Morris, Callan, Everitt if needs be and the continued development of Bou is pretty solid cover with Tiller able to play back if needed. With Grant not coming on as hoped and Jones, Cordy and Roughy sometime off, Tiller could be a handy target forward. I don't see Hahn in our best 22 next year and I see Tiller more than able to play the role Hahn was playing. I think Tiller has the body to keep getting bigger, a little like Gehrig as a slender HBF, turned gorilla forward. So with Hall only likely to have a few years left, I would like to see if Tiller could move forward, continue bulk and see first hand how Barry does it, with the view to take over his position.

Where do you see him fitting in, in 2010.

Much as I don't want to say that I don't see Hahn in our best 22 I have to agree with you. If Tiller can apply the same pressure in the F50 as Hahn does I think he may provide a better target. That said, Hahn played very well and filled the role we need him to in a couple of games this year. If he can regain his form on a consistent basis I still believe he will be pivotal to our finals campaign next season. I think Hahn has one cracker of a year left in him. I hope he gets the best out of himself because he was a real barometer for the side for a while before he did his knee.

Throughandthrough
10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Tiller needs to gain a yard or two of speed.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Tiller doesn't have any weopons. He's OK at most things but doesn'y excel at any of them.

Don't pay any attention to Clayton saying "He'll be top 10 next year", he always says that and none of them have ever turned out to be any good.

lemmon
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Tiller doesn't have any weopons. He's OK at most things but doesn'y excel at any of them.

Don't pay any attention to Clayton saying "He'll be top 10 next year", he always says that and none of them have ever turned out to be any good.

I believe he said the same thing about O'Shea

mighty_west
11-10-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm not too sure whay recruiters say things like that about draftee's anyway, comments like those "he'll be a top 10 pick next year", "we would have picked alot higher and were lucky he slipped to us" etc, comments like that can bite them on a backside, if these players [like Tiller] either don't make it or don't live up to those lofty expectations, like with Tiller, he's an honest footballer, but he hardly has the talent of what you expect for a top 10 players to be, then it doesn't give you much confidence on recruiters judgements.

The Adelaide recruiters call on Cam Faulkner was a classic, if only we were able to then on trade Faulkner for McLeod at the time!

alwaysadog
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM

Don't know about best 22 but rocket declared him in our best 25 at the start of the 2009 season and was hoping he would be back from injury soon. Never happened

Now he's just had a major op and won't be available for a big chunk of the preseason.

Mofra
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I believe he said the same thing about O'Shea
He said that about Skipper too

GVGjr
11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm not 100% sure why but I think his assessments of why he drafted of Skipper and O'Shea with late picks was that they would have been top 20 the following year.
Doesn't say a lot for the development programme we had in place.

lemmon
11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm not 100% sure why but I think his assessments of why he drafted of Skipper and O'Shea with late picks was that they would have been top 20 the following year.
Doesn't say a lot for the development programme we had in place.

I dont think the development program can really be blamed for the lack of development of O'Shea in particular. Physically he was very good and he'd throw his body in but you would find better footballers playing in the Altona reserves. He was a long term project, injury halted this project and in the end it would've been too much trouble keeping him on the list and getting him anywhere near AFL ready.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm a big fan of Tiller and think he can play a role for us. Like others, I'd like to see him up forward at times next year. Disappointing for him that he will miss most of the pre-season, so will probably be a fair way behind the 8 ball.

I think he definitely can earn a place in our 22.

ledge
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
From what i remember of Tiller when he was forward he was quite quick on the lead and pretty strong hands.

hujsh
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
From what i remember of Tiller when he was forward he was quite quick on the lead and pretty strong hands.

Coaches mentioned that when discussing whether to play him or not. Channel 7 had footage of our selection meeting.

jazzadogs
11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Adam Hunter 05/06 style swingman?

I like him as a forward, but they do seem to be developing him in defence.

Doc26
11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I dont think the development program can really be blamed for the lack of development of O'Shea in particular. Physically he was very good and he'd throw his body in but you would find better footballers playing in the Altona reserves. He was a long term project, injury halted this project and in the end it would've been too much trouble keeping him on the list and getting him anywhere near AFL ready.

A crying shame and to think 3 selections on from Paul the Swans grabbed Jesse White.

mighty_west
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
A crying shame and to think 3 selections on from Paul the Swans grabbed Jesse White.

The 3 players that i was extremely impressed with playing for the QLD under 18's side that year were Kurt Tippett pitch hitting up forward playing in the ruck, Ricky Petterd running off a half back & Jesse White up forward. :(

1eyedog
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Adam Hunter 05/06 style swingman?

I like him as a forward, but they do seem to be developing him in defence.

Whoa there he ain't that good with his hands. He may be able to fill roles at either end of the ground.

Rance Fan
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I think hTillers a good tryer, nothing more. Skills and decision making average.
He has nothing on Hahn. Hahns more experienced and has the runs on the board.
Mitch can tackle, break open packs, take a mark and somehow always find a way to get the ball thru the big sticks.
Mitch needs to stay fit and chase hard....he did the job when it counted in the finals against the saints and brought us back in it with 2 big marks n goals when we had the momentum not going our way. And next year with the big key defender goin to Bazz, he should have a great year!

Sedat
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
His decision making and disposal is ordinary. He's played a couple of solid games, but he hasn't ever cemented a spot in the side.
What I like about Tiller is that these solid games were at the pointy end of September in the highest of pressure and intensity. I like players that step it up when the intensity ramps up - when time and space are at a premium, sometimes those players with slightly less polish but more grunt come to the fore.

I reckon Tiller would be well suited to the Chick/Rooke/Osborne/McQualter defensive forward role. He is as hard as a cat's head, is a good size (191cms) that should command some attention from the opposition defenders but if it didn't he could punish them, he is fanatical in his defensive pursuits (especially tackling) and is a decent kick for goal. IMO our forward line really needs another defensive-oriented player as part of the rotations in order to prevent the rebound trampoline effect that our forward line suffers from time to time. None of Johnson, Murphy, Higgins, Hill, Aker and Minson are natually defensive oriented - Hahn is but his ability to get from contest to contest is compromised. Thankfully Hall is defensive minded and will add some value in this area. But another desperado in there to bust a gut to keep it in our forward 50 would be a welcome addition. Addo was tried and failed in this role. Callan is more suited to running straight at the footy from defensive 50, so I'd mount a case for Tiller in this role - a role that every premiership team has had since 2005.

Scott Clayton "they would have been top 10 the following year" list of tall draftees started with Wayde Skipper before the likes of Tiller and O'Shea were added to it. He also said that he would swim from Williamstown to Port Melbourne if Jarrad Grant wasn't the best tall forward prospect in the 2007 ND. Grain of salt stuff.

Rocco Jones
11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I reckon Tiller would be well suited to the Chick/Rooke/Osborne/McQualter defensive forward role.

Totally agree. I wanted him to replace Mitch in his role early in the season.

LostDoggy
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
The Chick role? I hope not.

Sedat
11-10-2009, 11:57 PM
The Chick role? I hope not.
Not his off-field space cadet role, but his on-field role was pretty key to their premiership in 2006, especially considering they didn't have an A-grade key forward. His desperate smother and goal deep in the last qtr basically won them the flag.

boydogs
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM
I reckon Tiller would be well suited to the Chick/Rooke/Osborne/McQualter defensive forward role.

Why do you think he was not given this role in 2009?

Go_Dogs
12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Why do you think he was not given this role in 2009?

Because he spent a large portion of the season injured, and his September form in the backline 2008 was very good - would be my guess. He's going to be coming from a long way back this pre-season too after his groin surgery, so he may not have much opportunity over summer to train in the role.

Studentlib
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
What is Tiller's kicking for goal like? The Rookes and Chicks could do all the defensive stuff and kick the pressure goals. BTW do we have a designated goal kicking coach working with the sports bio- mechanics boffins at VUT to improve this skill in particular?

ledge
12-10-2009, 11:19 AM
From what i remember when he was up forward he was very accurate.

Ozza
12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
5.4 from 5 games in 2007 when he first came into the team.

ledge
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I am not a big fan of looking at it in a figure goals to points, angles, pressure, set shots and distance is more telling.
Does anyone remember the shots he took?

Ozza
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
He missed a couple against Melbourne when they beat us on a Saturday night. They were 40 metre shots on a 45 degree angle.

He has a fairly reliable kicking technique though.

LostDoggy
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
From memory Tiller goes alright in front of goal.
I was one of his biggest critics, but I think it was last years final vs Sydney maybe?
He had a cracker and I was forced to eat my words.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
He missed a couple against Melbourne when they beat us on a Saturday night. They were 40 metre shots on a 45 degree angle.

He has a fairly reliable kicking technique though.

IMO Tiller's action isn't great. He tends to spray them to the left a bit too much. Even in his first couple of years at the club when playing on a HFF, he would lack the ability to finish off his work. This was at Williamstown. He looked good on the lead but missed a few too many.

He isn't the worst, but it's not a strength of his.

1eyedog
12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Not great IMO. His action looks ok but he drops the ball from slightly higher than average I would say. His run up is very good but when I watch him actually kick the ball I am not overly confident. I also think he over accentuates the follow through sort of Barry Stoneham like. Of course Stoneham was a very straight kick. He has obviously spent a lot of time on his technique. Was he drafted as a forward or a back? He looks like a forward. He's a better kick than Hahn naturally but that's not hard. Hahn has manged to keep the flat punts straight though to his credit.