PDA

View Full Version : PSD and Recycables.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Thought I would start a place to put together all the players who have left their clubs for the ND and/or PSD. (I will update this post with names as we go along).

Obviously Nicoski looks destined for the PSD.
Pattinson looks to be in either
Jess Smith from North looks like he may go into both as well.

Any others of any decent quality worth persisting with???

Of the short list above, i wouldn't be against using our 4th rounder on Smith. He is a risky proposition, but if he gets fit and strong, it would be a steal.

DOG GOD
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I guess it might come down to how much $$$ we have in our cap left over...We might only be able to afford picking up 3-4 1st year players.

LostDoggy
12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Luke Ball is headed that way isn't he?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Luke Ball is headed that way isn't he?
Perhaps, but not on our radar.

mighty_west
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Daniel Harris was on SEN earlier, talking about himself currently training with Sammy Power, although neither would be on our radar.

Jesse Smith hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the way he has departed Arden Street, giving the club a nice old swipe.

ledge
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Dont really think he had a swipe at the club personal just the facillities arent there for his particular problems, we all know the facilities havent been there for years, just a media blow out again I think.

LostDoggy
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Maxy Hudgon was on SEN earlier, spoke about two clubs who tried to talk him out of retirement. One was Hawthorn and the other was the dogs:eek:

Didn't change his mind though.

Doc26
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Jesse Smith hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the way he has departed Arden Street, giving the club a nice old swipe.

You're spot on with that. Think Pickers and Jesse have over stepped the mark in the way they've gone about trying to get Jesse out of North. A cheap shot in my opinion. Would be very disappointed to hear one of our players wanting out by taking a pot shot re our rehabilitation support / infrastructure being sub standard.

Not sure if anyone happened to hear a call come in from a passionate Roos supporter taking Picker's to task on his Saturday morning 'Off The Fence' program. Was good listening hearing his passion and ripping into Liam saying how he (Liam) had never got over being dumped by North etc etc. Although thought Schwass was a bit of a Liam apologist sticking up for him post the call.

Swoop
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Jesse Smith is at the crossroads of his career and this year will really be a make or break year for him. At some point he needs to look after his own personal interests before the clubs, it's all good and well to speak of loyalty but next year he could be standing in the dole queue, he has stated he is prepared to play for base wages so I really don't have an issue with his thought process if he doesn't think North is the best environment for him.

AndrewP6
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
You're spot on with that. Think Pickers and Jesse have over stepped the mark in the way they've gone about trying to get Jesse out of North. A cheap shot in my opinion. Would be very disappointed to hear one of our players wanting out by taking a pot shot re our rehabilitation support / infrastructure being sub standard.

A bit like when Jordy left - first presser after being traded, he references his relationship woes, and that he thought there would be better off-field support at Richmond than "the previous club". The dickhead. Rocket responded by saying the club was comfortable with the amount and type of support offered.

FrediKanoute
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Jesse Smith is at the crossroads of his career and this year will really be a make or break year for him. At some point he needs to look after his own personal interests before the clubs, it's all good and well to speak of loyalty but next year he could be standing in the dole queue, he has stated he is prepared to play for base wages so I really don't have an issue with his thought process if he doesn't think North is the best environment for him.

Would we look at him? When North drafted him he was touted as a top 5 pick, but they got him under the father son rule as I recall. I haven't seen much of him and am not even sure what position he would play or what his injury problems are, but if he has some level of talent, is mature and can be rehabbed could we pick up a bargain?

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I think most clubs will be circling.
He was drafted in 2004. So he's the same vintage as Griffen and Williams.
I remember him being touted as a possible top ten pick but somehow he slipped to pick 42 as a father/son.

If he was there for us as a second or third rounder in the draft or the PSD when we had our pick I'd take him for sure.
A gamble, but if his body hold's up a real chance of a bargain.

I think he'll be snapped up pretty quickly though.

EasternWest
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I think most clubs will be circling.
He was drafted in 2004. So he's the same vintage as Griffen and Williams.

Do we need another CHB with a questionable body? I agree there'll be plenty of interest, the kid has talent. But I don't think we could carry them both, should he get through to us.

The Coon Dog
12-10-2009, 11:26 PM
2009 Retirements & Delistings (http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20%20delistings/tabid/13717/default.aspx)

Adelaide
Robert Shirley
Nick Gill
Greg Gallman
Aaron Kite
Tom Lee

Brisbane Lions
Tim Notting (ret.)
Lachie Henderson (trd.)
Bradd Dalziell (trd.)
Scott Clouston
Scott Harding
Rhan Hooper
Kieran King
Joel Macdonald
Jason Roe
Matthew Tyler
Daniel Dzufer**
Pat Garner**
Daniel Murray**
Adam Spackman**
Joel Tippett**

Carlton
Brendan Fevola (trd.)
Adam Bentick
Adam Hartlett
Jordan Bannister
Jake Edwards
Darren Pfeiffer**
Luke Stanton**
Lachie Hill**
Nick Stevens (ret.)
Greg Bentley**

Collingwood
Johnny Bennell**
Martin Clarke (ret.)
Anthony Rocca (ret.)
Kevin Dyas** (ret.)
Chris Bryan
Danny Stanley
Toby Thoolen**

Essendon
Bryce Carroll**
Thomas German**
Kade Klemke**
Matthew Lloyd (ret.)
Scott Lucas (ret.)
Rhys Magin**
Andrew Lovett (trd.)
Hayden Skipworth (ret.)
Jay Nash (trd.)

Fremantle
Andrew Browne (ret.)
Adam Campbell
Brent Connelly**
Daniel Gilmore
Josh Head
Luke Pratt**
Marcus Drum (trd.)
Brett Peake (trd.)

Geelong
Matt Egan
Shane Mumford (trd.)
Kane Tenace
Adam Donohue
Dan McKenna
Scott Simpson
Bryn Weadon**
Tom Harley (ret.)
David Johnson (ret.)

Hawthorn
Tim Boyle (ret.)
Stuart Dew (ret.)
Robert Campbell (ret.)
Mark Williams (trd.)
Josh Kennedy (trd.)
Ben McGlynn (trd.)
Mitch Thorp
Haydn Kiel**
Tim Walsh

Melbourne
Russell Robertson
Paul Wheatley (ret.)
Matthew Whelan (ret.)
Brock McLean (trd.)
Simon Buckley
Shane Valenti
Michael Newton
John Meesen

North Melbourne
Adam Simpson (ret.)
Shannon Watt (ret.)
Josh Gibson (trd.)
Sam Power
Daniel Harris
Matt Riggio
Michael Wundke

Port Adelaide
Peter Burgoyne (ret.)
Brendon Lade (ret.)
Toby Thurstans (ret.)
Shaun Burgoyne (trd.)
Mitch Farmer (trd.)
Ed Lower
Jonathan Giles
Matthew Martin**
Jesse Laurie**

Richmond
Joel Bowden (ret.)
Nathan Brown
Mark Coughlan
Kane Johnson (ret.)
Jay Schulz (trd.)
Andrew Raines (trd.)
Graham Polak
Cleeve Hughes
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Kayne Pettifer
Adam Pattison
Dean Putt
Jarrod Silvester

St Kilda
Jarryd Allen (ret.)
Max Hudghton (ret.)
Xavier Clarke (trd.)
Colm Begley
Eljay Connors
Sam McGarry**
Khan Haretuku**
Ross Tungatalum**
Matt Maguire
Luke Ball

Sydney Swans
Leo Barry (ret.)
Jared Crouch (ret.)
Nic Fosdike (ret.)
Barry Hall (trd.)
Tadhg Kennelly (ret.)
Brendan Murphy**(ret.)
Michael O'Loughlin (ret.)
Darren Jolly (trd.)
Amon Buchanan (trd.)
Ryan Brabazon
Matthew Laidlaw
Daniel O'Keefe
Tim Schmidt (ret.)

West Coast
Chad Fletcher
Adam Hunter (ret.)
Tyson Stenglein (ret.)
David Wirrpanda (ret.)
Brent Staker (trd.)
Mark Seaby (trd.)
Jamie McNamara
Ryan Davis**
Ashley Arrowsmith**
Liam Bedford**

Western Bulldogs
Scott Welsh (ret.)
Wayde Skipper
Paul O'Shea
Cameron Wight
Guy O'Keefe
Malcolm Lynch
John Shaw**
Henry White**
Chris Ogle**

NOTE: all players delisted unless otherwise specified
ret. = retired
trd = traded
**rookie listed

FrediKanoute
13-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Do we need another CHB with a questionable body? I agree there'll be plenty of interest, the kid has talent. But I don't think we could carry them both, should he get through to us.

What injuries has Smith had?

soupman
13-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Looking at that list TCD posted as of now there isn't a single club less player worth looking at.

Dancin' Douggy
13-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Like I said. It's a gamble. But in a shallow draft, IF he comes cheap I'd take him for sure.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Hmm. Maybe Williams + Smith = one full-time CHB.

The Coon Dog
13-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmm. Maybe Williams + Smith = one full-time CHB.

I guess they could job share. ;)

Doc26
13-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I guess they could job share. ;)

We'd want to make sure we've taken out extras with our health insurance.

Bulldog Joe
13-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't see any point in worrying about the PSD as the Dogs cap restrictions will mean they do not participate.

Will top up the list through the draft and will have some rookie selections as Mulligan, Shaw and White need to be delisted if not upgraded.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't see any point in worrying about the PSD as the Dogs cap restrictions will mean they do not participate.

Will top up the list through the draft and will have some rookie selections as Mulligan, Shaw and White need to be delisted if not upgraded.
I think most would agree, but others have posted about David Smorgon stating we are looking at the PSD...

Axe Man
13-10-2009, 01:19 PM
In the paper today it says we have made contact with Jesse Smith (along with a number of other clubs), but are unlikely to have the salary cap room. Not sure why we bother contacting him if we had no potential cap space for him?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/roos-just-couldnt-help-me-jess-smith/story-e6frf9jf-1225786062715

BulldogBelle
13-10-2009, 01:20 PM
David Wojcinski is looking for a better deal from Geelong, could make his way to the PSD - although I reckon Geelong will come to the party somehow and keep him.

Wojo Article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/david-wojcinski-holding-out-for-better-deal-from-geelong/story-e6frf9jf-1225786194387)

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 01:48 PM
David Wojcinski is looking for a better deal from Geelong, could make his way to the PSD - although I reckon Geelong will come to the party somehow and keep him.

Wojo Article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/david-wojcinski-holding-out-for-better-deal-from-geelong/story-e6frf9jf-1225786194387)

Funny that they only offered him one year.. a real slap-in-the-face to a premiership half-back flanker?

I know there are reservations about him on WOOF, but I would pick him up in a heartbeat -- he plays in one of the most accomplished half-back lines in the history of the game, where it is no insult to be a fringe player beside the likes of Mackie, Enright, Harley, Scarlett etc.

I mean, Timmy Callan couldn't get a game in that backline yet was an integral part of our finals team. Woj would bring some serious pace to the team to complement the hardness we are developing.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Funny that they only offered him one year.. a real slap-in-the-face to a premiership half-back flanker?

I know there are reservations about him on WOOF, but I would pick him up in a heartbeat -- he plays in one of the most accomplished half-back lines in the history of the game, where it is no insult to be a fringe player beside the likes of Mackie, Enright, Harley, Scarlett etc.

I mean, Timmy Callan couldn't get a game in that backline yet was an integral part of our finals team. Woj would bring some serious pace to the team to complement the hardness we are developing.
Melbourne might go alright next year and beyond if he goes PSD.

HUN reports Melbourne are prepared to use pick 18 on Ball, and with Wojo in the PSD and pick 1, 2 and 11 - I'd be getting a little more excited at Demon land.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Melbourne might go alright next year and beyond if he goes PSD.

HUN reports Melbourne are prepared to use pick 18 on Ball, and with Wojo in the PSD and pick 1, 2 and 11 - I'd be getting a little more excited at Demon land.

Amazing how quickly it can turn around in the age of the draft & cap isn't it.

Realistically though they would be some years off a serious tilt at anything -- took the Saints well over 6 years of development before their first round picks looked close to ready this year. Having said that, the Saints did make a couple of prelims a few years ago, so Melbourne may well cause some damage here and there over the next few years. Will be fun to watch anyway.

Not convinced Bailey is the man to do it though.

EasternWest
13-10-2009, 02:16 PM
What injuries has Smith had?

He's got at least one bad ankle and had a litany of hamstring problems.

EasternWest
13-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Not convinced Bailey is the man to do it though.

Hard to say on this one. Bailey has had no cattle to work with. The next few years will tell what sort of coach he is. That's if the club can hold fast to their plans and offer him another term of course.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Wojo is an average footballer. Geelong have been a very good side, but their 18-22nd man is no better than anyone elses. They've lacked pace for a few years which is the only reason they play him from time to time. Reality is, he rarely does anything on the field against decent sides. For all his pace/carrying of the football, he doesn't get nearly enough of the ball and turns it over too much.

Callan was hardly an integral part of our finals side. He did OK against Brisbane but made a couple of blunders. Against Geelong, he was very poor. Timmy's attitude is great but outside of 2-3 games he hasn't offered much. He didn't cost anything, though.

People underrate the ability for good sides to cover over ordinary footballers. If these players were good enough to be playing, they would be. They're fringe players - play a solid game from time to time. They are no different to most other sides depth players. Difference is, they're surrounded by stars. The fact that they still struggle perhaps says something.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Geelong have delisted: Kane Tenance who has played 59 games over six seasons and Dan McKenna, Scott Simpson, Adam Donohue and Bryn Weadon.

Tenace could attract some attention from other clubs. Not ours I certainly wouldn't think.

I would love to know if anyone has seen Simpson (KPF) play and especially McKenna (KPB). You couldn't begrudge any young tall who can't get into the Geelong backline as a tall. Has height, light frame and good credentials. Anyone seen them?

McKenna:

KPB (Can play forward and has kicked several VFL goals)
Behind: Scarlett, Harley, Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan etc, etc

20 y.o.
195cm
90kg
U/18 Gippsland
U/18 Vic Country
Drafted pick 50 (two behind Boumann)
2 years in the AFL system

mighty_west
13-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Geelong have delisted: Kane Tenance who has played 59 games over six seasons and Dan McKenna, Scott Simpson, Adam Donohue and Bryn Weadon.

Tenace could attract some attention from other clubs. Not ours I certainly wouldn't think.

I would love to know if anyone has seen Simpson (KPF) play and especially McKenna (KPB). You couldn't begrudge any young tall who can't get into the Geelong backline as a tall. Has height, light frame and good credentials. Anyone seen them?

Kane Tenace was rated very highly before the 2003 Adam Cooney draft, many scribes had him going top 5, slipped to around 7, has all the pace to burn, but being an outside player, his only downfall [coming from Geelong supporters] is his skill level & decision making, i'd be suprised if another club picked him up.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Didn't Simpson kick 8 against Willi last year?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, i'm trying to read up about him. Although the Geelong addy rate all of their own highly, there are some very promising articles about him. I don't think Pods down there has done mucyh for him though. He suffered a pretty serious ankle injury 5 months ago by the looks of things.

Simpson looks like he was the other tall forward for the Stingrays with Grant and Boumann a few years back, remembering they had three pretty effective talls that year. 196cm, 94kg and kicked bags at VFL level. Obviously behind a few, injured this year and Pods takes most of the ball...

chef
13-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Adelaide has delisted five players from the 2009 primary list.

They are Robert Shirley, Nick Gill, Greg Gallman, Aaron Kite and Tom Lee.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx

Is this the same Lee that the Dogs would have taken if either Roughead or Jones weren't available? He's been cut after one season.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Adelaide has delisted five players from the 2009 primary list.

They are Robert Shirley, Nick Gill, Greg Gallman, Aaron Kite and Tom Lee.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx

Is this the same Lee that the Dogs would have taken if either Roughead or Jones weren't available? He's been cut after one season.
Yes, that is Lee from the 2008 draft.

I think GVGjr might have been pretty keen???

Something has gone wrong...

chef
13-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Yes, that is Lee from the 2008 draft.

I think GVGjr might have been pretty keen???

Something has gone wrong...

Apparently he hasn't got an attitude good enough for SANFL let alone AFL.

Sedat
13-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Apparently he hasn't got an attitude good enough for SANFL let alone AFL.
Interesting. From memory, Tom Lee was high up on Scott Clayton's short list of talls to secure in last year's ND - thankfully Roughead managed to slide down the pecking order to our pick 31, otherwise we would have taken Liam Jones at 31 and Tom Lee at 32.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Interesting. From memory, Tom Lee was high up on Scott Clayton's short list of talls to secure in last year's ND - thankfully Roughead managed to slide down the pecking order to our pick 31, otherwise we would have taken Liam Jones at 31 and Tom Lee at 32.
Jesse Wells Mk2. How close it was...

Now that the bulldogs goggles are off re: Clayton. He really ain't that much chop. Sure he goes alright, but he ain't brilliant.

ledge
13-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Dont you have to be on a list for at least 2 years if you get picked up?

The Coon Dog
13-10-2009, 06:31 PM

I thought that too, though I seem to remember we delisted Michael West after a season & then rookied him.

Rocco Jones
13-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I thought that too, though I seem to remember we delisted Michael West after a season & then rookied him.

Yep, that was mainly a list management strategy. We still ended up having to pay him a senior list salary and he counted towards the salary cap but we ended up having an extra spot on our senior list.

Happy Days
13-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I saw Mckenna against Williamstown earlier this year at Burbank, and I thought he was quite impressive.

Seems a strange decision to cut him loose, I wouldn't be adverse to taking a punt on him.

chef
13-10-2009, 06:51 PM

I guess the Crows have just payed out his contract.

Sedat
13-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Now that the bulldogs goggles are off re: Clayton. He really ain't that much chop. Sure he goes alright, but he ain't brilliant.
Very good with mid size and smaller players - certainly not flash with talls. In 2003, Clayton was seriously toying with pick 4 for Billy Morrison, I kid you not.

Rocco Jones
13-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Very good with mid size and smaller players - certainly not flash with talls. In 2003, Clayton was seriously toying with pick 4 for Billy Morrison, I kid you not.

Could also say that he is very good with picks outside of the first round but ordinary with 1st rounders.

A super club would have a recruiting team with Clayton only in charge of later picks.

chef
13-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Melbourne have delisted Simon Buckley and Shane Valenti.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Jebus!!!

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I saw Mckenna against Williamstown earlier this year at Burbank, and I thought he was quite impressive.

Seems a strange decision to cut him loose, I wouldn't be adverse to taking a punt on him.
Can you tell us anything about him...

Where he played, who he played on and did he beat him, how he looked, any obvious strengthes or weaknesses from obviously a limited time?

Cheers.

EasternWest
13-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Melbourne have delisted Simon Buckley and Shane Valenti.

I would be surprised if they didn't re-rookie Valenti.

azabob
13-10-2009, 07:22 PM

I wouldn't call Smith a CHB more like at wingman / hbf.

azabob
13-10-2009, 07:24 PM

McKenna:

KPB (Can play forward and has kicked several VFL goals)
Behind: Scarlett, Harley, Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan etc, etc

20 y.o.
195cm
90kg
U/18 Gippsland
U/18 Vic Country
Drafted pick 50 (two behind Boumann)
2 years in the AFL system

I wouldn't look at any of those delisted players. If they have been delisted ahead of Tom lonergan i dont think they are much chop.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Tom Lee could attract some interest from us I would have thought, given that we rated him pretty highly last season - but given how quickly he has been moved off the Crows list, perhaps not.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Tom Lee could attract some interest from us I would have thought, given that we rated him pretty highly last season - but given how quickly he has been moved off the Crows list, perhaps not.
You would think he is next to no chance, may even be stamped un-draftable. Delisted after only one year, it would be a brave club that picked him up.

chef
13-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Sydney have delisted Ryan Brabazon, Matthew Laidlaw & Daniel O'Keefe .

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Clayton may have rated Morrison but there was never any intention to draft him with pick 4.

If Brisbane had drafted Steve Salopek like everyone thiught they would, we would have taken Jarod Brennan.

chef
13-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Clayton may have rated Morrison but there was never any intention to draft him with pick 4.

If Brisbane had drafted Steve Salopek like everyone thiught they would, we would have taken Jarod Brennan.

Wasn't Clayton also keen on Mackie?

Remi Moses
13-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Tend to recall Clayton thought mackie might slip through playing private schoolboy footy in Adelaide. Clayton was very keen on Jarred Brennan at pick 4. Just read on Big Footy [always take with a grain of salt] that Jesse was more keen on his X Box than rehab.:eek:

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Yep, but as Moses said, Clayton thought he would last until our next pick (pick 17, Cam Faulkner).

The way we expected it to fall was Salopek at 3, we would take Brennan at 4, Port would take Schammer at 6, Geelong would take Walsh at 7, Freo would take Faulkner at 13 and we would take Mackie at 17.

Brisbane stuffed everything up by taking Brennan rather than Salopek.

mighty_west
13-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Billy Morrison wasn't in the Salopek / Brennan Draft, but the 2003, where we took Farren Ray at 4, Billy Morrison slipped to Collingwoods first pick.

chef
13-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Yep, but as Moses said, Clayton thought he would last until our next pick (pick 17, Cam Faulkner).

The way we expected it to fall was Salopek at 3, we would take Brennan at 4, Port would take Schammer at 6, Geelong would take Walsh at 7, Freo would take Faulkner at 13 and we would take Mackie at 17.Brisbane stuffed everything up by taking Brennan rather than Salopek.

Thats something i didn't need to know:(

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Thats something i didn't need to know:(

Its very old news. There is a story in every draft.

Happy Days
13-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Can you tell us anything about him...

Where he played, who he played on and did he beat him, how he looked, any obvious strengthes or weaknesses from obviously a limited time?

Cheers.

He was playing at CHF, on Jason Cloke I believe, who he beat on the day. Was really good on the lead, and looked to be a good mark. The big question on that particular day was his kicking for goal. I can't remember the exact total, but I think he kicked something like 1.3 or 2.3, or something to that effect.

That was all I saw of him, so I don't know enough to say how he was when the ball went to ground, or defensive workrates or anything like that. But he definitely has something to him.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Billy Morrison wasn't in the Salopek / Brennan Draft, but the 2003, where we took Farren Ray at 4, Billy Morrison slipped to Collingwoods first pick.

Then there's every chance that we could have taken Morrison at 4 then because I know bugger all about what we were thinking in 2003.

anfo27
13-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I remember the year Tenace got drafted, i knew a bloke who worked for the Jets & he would rave on about this kid. He said if he had the number 1 pick he would pick Tenace. The kid has been very disappointing and after hearing all the hype was surprised he didn't become a good AFL footballer.

Just makes me think, is there anyone that wants to admit has seen a kid in the under 18's & thought this kid is a gun & hasn't made it? and vice versa.

mighty_west
14-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Just makes me think, is there anyone that wants to admit has seen a kid in the under 18's & thought this kid is a gun & hasn't made it? and vice versa.

I put my hand up being a big fan of Tenace at the time, i would have taken him before Farren Ray, then i also wanted Fergus Watts before Ray, and he didn't last too long.

Remi Moses
14-10-2009, 06:48 AM

Mate from work still talks about how shocking Morrison was! Blimey that 2003 draft was weak

Remi Moses
14-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I remember the year Tenace got drafted, i knew a bloke who worked for the Jets & he would rave on about this kid. He said if he had the number 1 pick he would pick Tenace. The kid has been very disappointing and after hearing all the hype was surprised he didn't become a good AFL footballer.

Obviously this bloke looked the other way when Tenace disposed of the football.Wasn't the great kepler Bradley in that draft?

Sedat
14-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Morrison was the year after in 2003 - he impressed Clayton so much during the inverview process at draft camp that he was toying with the idea of selecting him instead of Ray at pick 4.

The 2002 scenario was a real shame. Instead of Brennan and Mackie, we ended up with Walsh and Faulkner. Drafting is a game of inches at times.

LostDoggy
14-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Wojo is an average footballer. Geelong have been a very good side, but their 18-22nd man is no better than anyone elses. They've lacked pace for a few years which is the only reason they play him from time to time. Reality is, he rarely does anything on the field against decent sides. For all his pace/carrying of the football, he doesn't get nearly enough of the ball and turns it over too much.

Callan was hardly an integral part of our finals side. He did OK against Brisbane but made a couple of blunders. Against Geelong, he was very poor. Timmy's attitude is great but outside of 2-3 games he hasn't offered much. He didn't cost anything, though.

People underrate the ability for good sides to cover over ordinary footballers. If these players were good enough to be playing, they would be. They're fringe players - play a solid game from time to time. They are no different to most other sides depth players. Difference is, they're surrounded by stars. The fact that they still struggle perhaps says something.

This makes so much sense it restores my faith in humanity.

Oh, and to change my mind to agree with you (although I do think you've done Timmy a slight disservice).

Go_Dogs
14-10-2009, 02:20 PM
You would think he is next to no chance, may even be stamped un-draftable. Delisted after only one year, it would be a brave club that picked him up.

The paper this morning indicated Adelaide may look to rookie list Tom Lee.

Aaron Kite is another one of their de-listings that may attract some interest. He's built in the utility mould, and has spent the past couple of seasons at Norwood, spending his time between the seniors and the reserves.
Can play back and forward, and did kick a couple of bags of goals at reserves level, and kicked a bag of 4 in the seniors towards the end of the season.

G-Mo77
14-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Doubt we'll even take part. Correct me if I'm wrong here but we only have 2 Picks in the Draft so far. We've taken 4 from our list at this stage, Welsh, Skipper, O'Shea and Wight. We traded Hall in and will elevate Picken. So that leaves us only 2 spots #15 and #31. I doubt we'll pass on #31 to have a selection in the PSD.

When is the final date for delsitings?

The Coon Dog
14-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Doubt we'll even take part. Correct me if I'm wrong here but we only have 2 Picks in the Draft so far. We've taken 4 from our list at this stage, Welsh, Skipper, O'Shea and Wight. We traded Hall in and will elevate Picken. So that leaves us only 2 spots #15 and #31. I doubt we'll pass on #31 to have a selection in the PSD.

When is the final date for delsitings?

We will either delist Eagleton or move him to the veterans list, either way, it frees up a spot.

Important off season dates (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6233)

G-Mo77
14-10-2009, 03:07 PM
We will either delist Eagleton or move him to the veterans list, either way, it frees up a spot.

Of course, forgot about Eagle. :o

Brain is still not functioning right after a footy trip. ;)

bornadog
14-10-2009, 04:16 PM
The story so far

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/delists.jpg

bulldogtragic
14-10-2009, 05:24 PM
The paper this morning indicated Adelaide may look to rookie list Tom Lee.

Aaron Kite is another one of their de-listings that may attract some interest. He's built in the utility mould, and has spent the past couple of seasons at Norwood, spending his time between the seniors and the reserves.
Can play back and forward, and did kick a couple of bags of goals at reserves level, and kicked a bag of 4 in the seniors towards the end of the season.
Would be an interesting move. but they are obviously still prepared to lose him.

Anyone see Adam Campbell, last year's superstar KPF who we should've got, got delisted by Freo...

Doc26
14-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Of course, forgot about Eagle. :o

Brain is still not functioning right after a footy trip. ;)

Then there is Mulligan who apparently has been elevated and as 'Sockeye' had previously pointed out a serious doubt looms over O'Keefe going into 2010. Maybe the two of these cancel each other out.

Remi Moses
14-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Would be an interesting move. but they are obviously still prepared to lose him.

Anyone see Adam Campbell, last year's superstar KPF who we should've got, got delisted by Freo...

Yes another much vaunted pick up called for from our supporters. Just add to the list of Boyle,Robbo,mcgregor,Hansen,Seaby. Thank god we didn't pursue that line!

G-Mo77
14-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Then there is Mulligan who apparently has been elevated and as 'Sockeye' had previously pointed out a serious doubt looms over O'Keefe going into 2010. Maybe the two of these cancel each other out.

Then there is Reid who I believe is still out of contract.

Doc26
14-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Then there is Reid who I believe is still out of contract.

I keeping hearing this rumour bob up like a cork in the ocean. Say it isn't so Joe.

Sockeye Salmon
14-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I would have thought this year there would be a chance of a few delisted players getting another chance but there's not much there.

PS. Why don't some players have surnames?

comrade
14-10-2009, 07:26 PM
O'Keefe from Sydney (a hard running type drafted from the Falcons) has just been delisted. I'd look at him or Scott Simpson, but not much else.

boydogs
14-10-2009, 07:40 PM
PS. Why don't some players have surnames?

Probably the long ones got chopped off
List is from http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20%20delistings/tabid/13717/default.aspx

Scorlibo
14-10-2009, 08:04 PM
We'd have to be seriously considering Tom Lee wouldn't we? If Roughead or Jones were gone by pick 31 last year he would have been next cab off the rank from all reports. He must have done something wrong to get delisted after one year though.

LostDoggy
14-10-2009, 08:12 PM
We'd have to be seriously considering Tom Lee wouldn't we? If Roughead or Jones were gone by pick 31 last year he would have been next cab off the rank from all reports. He must have done something wrong to get delisted after one year though.

Married Pamela Anderson.

ledge
14-10-2009, 09:12 PM
If we were looking for ready made I would look at Tenace i think he holds his own , just very difficult to get into the Geelong team.
Surprised he wasnt offered for trade.

soupman
14-10-2009, 09:20 PM

We might not be interested at all. Scotty Clayton was at the helm last season, this year it's Simon Dalrymple who may have had completely different views.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2009, 09:21 PM
If we were looking for ready made I would look at Tenace i think he holds his own , just very difficult to get into the Geelong team.
Surprised he wasnt offered for trade.

Nobody has wanted to go anywhere near him for over two years.

He's an absolute dud.

soupman
14-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Nobody has wanted to go anywhee near him for over two years.

He's an absolute dud.

Quoted for truth (do we do that here?).

EasternWest
15-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Married Pamela Anderson.

ha ha ha ha

The Coon Dog
15-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Brisbane announced this afternoon that eight players would be culled from the senior list: Scott Clouston, Scott Harding, Rhan Hooper, Kieran King, Joel Macdonald, Jason Roe and Matthew Tyler.

Five rookies were also shown the door: Daniel Dzufer, Pat Garner, Daniel Murray, Adam Spackman and Joel Tippett.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Interesting they have delisted Jason Roe - thought he was a promising player in a Morris type role down back.

mighty_west
15-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Brisbane announced this afternoon that eight players would be culled from the senior list: Scott Clouston, Scott Harding, Rhan Hooper, Kieran King, Joel Macdonald, Jason Roe and Matthew Tyler.

Five rookies were also shown the door: Daniel Dzufer, Pat Garner, Daniel Murray, Adam Spackman and Joel Tippett.

Vossy hasn't mucked around has he, i wouldn't be suprised to see MacDonald, maybe even Hooper, Harding and/or Roe given another opportunity.

Hotdog60
15-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know what has happen to Roe back he was a very good player last year, I wonder if he is worth a shot. ( If we have the cash is suppose)

Remi Moses
15-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd look at Mcdonald but the rest NO!! Roe continually stuffs up,Tenace can't kick,Hooper wont train,Harding is ordinary. With the delisting of O'keefe wonder if the club will take a recycle? CD,you heard anything?

Remi Moses
15-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Married Pamela Anderson.

Then gave her Hep B didn't he? Charming fella. :eek:Then went on to better things with that trailer park trash Kid Rock

Rocco Jones
15-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Interesting batch of delistees. Brisbane bought in a bunch of depth to list clogger types and then delisted a bunch of depth to list clogger types.

I would be very surprised if Joel MacDonald didn't get another chance, North seem a logical home considering the combined loss of Gibson and JWS (not that he ever played).

Another announcing that I think Peake isn't that much of a dud, I probably should keep quiet for awhile but I have to say I rate Rhan Hooper's talent. If only he was a complete dickhead (well, he wouldn't be a possible cheap pick up if he wasn't but I digress). Brisbane are desperate for small forward options and really need his type. It obviously says a lot about his attitude that he is gone.

Topdog
15-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I rate Rhan Hooper's talent. If only he was a complete dickhead (well, he wouldn't be a possible cheap pick up if he wasn't but I digress). Brisbane are desperate for small forward options and really need his type. It obviously says a lot about his attitude that he is gone.

Think it says more about Voss' attitude, my way or the highway.

Hooper, Roe and MacDonald will all get snapped up in the PSD. Some amazing delistings really.

Rocco Jones
15-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Think it says more about Voss' attitude, my way or the highway.

Hooper, Roe and MacDonald will all get snapped up in the PSD. Some amazing delistings really.

I think most coaches would have delisted or traded Hooper by now. His attitude has seemed poor to shocking during his whole career.

Axe Man
15-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I seem to remember Hooper being discussed on the radio a fair while back and they were talking about his problems stemming from his inability to escape the influence of his gang member mates from Ipswich. Perhaps a move interstate may be just what he needs.

Would be a massive gamble that we are unlikely to take, but he is probably a better player than Lynch.

The Coon Dog
15-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Carlton have given the chop to a few!

CARLTON onballer Adam Bentick and key position prospect Adam Hartlett are among a group of four senior players delisted by the club on Thursday.

Bentick, 24, was the most experienced player to be axed having played 68 games for the Blues while Jordan Bannister and Jake Edwards were also cut.

Rookies Darren Pfeiffer, Luke Stanton and Lachie Hill will also not be offered contracts for 2010.

* I have the clock ticking on the time it takes ledge to post about Jake Edwards! ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Roe/McDonald would be worth looking at but I read somewhere that Melbourne are looking closely at McDonald.

Roe looked pretty good before he did his knee one or two years ago. From what I saw of him this year, he was pretty ordinary. Considering we don't have a lot of 190cm+ defenders and his injury setback, I think he might be worth a spot.

Depends on his attitude.

Rocco Jones
15-10-2009, 06:43 PM
The thread title would make a cool band name, especially for a lead singer with the initials PSD (perhaps a "the" could be added before recyclables).

LostDoggy
15-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Look out, Vossy is gearing up for a massive assault on the PSD and the recyclables.

FrediKanoute
16-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Would we look at someone like Kane Tenace? Former high raft pick who can't crack it for a game at Geelong (no disgrace there surely?)

GVGjr
17-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Would we look at someone like Kane Tenace? Former high raft pick who can't crack it for a game at Geelong (no disgrace there surely?)

I wouldn't have thought so.

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Why we even looking at recycles?

immortalmike
17-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Why we even looking at recycles?

Because it is the off season and everyone's bored.

Dancin' Douggy
17-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Because it is the off season and everyone's bored.

And it's infinitely more entertaining than Golf, Horse racing, A league, Basketball, Tennis, etc. etc. etc. etc...........................

mighty_west
17-10-2009, 01:18 PM
And it's infinitely more entertaining than Golf, Horse racing, A league, Basketball, Tennis, etc. etc. etc. etc...........................

I saw a few "recycles" today at the gym [yes, i'm so bored i've joined a gym to trim some unwanted recycled fat]!!

chef
18-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I can't find the link but this was in the Hun today.

Eagles' bid for Nicoski
West Coast could trump Western Bulldogs and Collingwood bids to snare Mark Nocoski in the PSD. The Eagles have offered Nicoski, 25, an improved two year deal ahead of their final meeting with the backman this week. The Dogs and Pies were linked to the Eagle in trade week, but were unable to broker a deal.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Eagles' bid for Nicoski
West Coast could trump Western Bulldogs and Collingwood bids to snare Mark Nocoski in the PSD. The Eagles have offered Nicoski, 25, an improved two year deal ahead of their final meeting with the backman this week. The Dogs and Pies were linked to the Eagle in trade week, but were unable to broker a deal.
Fantastic.

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Eagles' bid for Nicoski

Crap journalisim. If we had the money for Nicoski we would have signed Eagleton by now.

Any chance of picking up Nicoski went we Everitt stayed. I'd rather Everitt.

Doc26
18-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Couldn't see the Dogs playing any part in the PSD even if Nicoski were to fall into our laps.

Just interesting to know now when our 'passes' will start in the Nat Draft.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 05:26 PM
With signing/keeping Everitt, Hall, Lake, Aker and Reid - we are like Kramer in 'the contest' re: the PSD. Walk into room, slammed our money on the desk, and yelled 'i'm out'!

EasternWest
20-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Or Jerry choosing not to run!

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Seeing as though Skipper has gone and Roughy and Cordy would seem to be a season away...

Nobody has mentioned Chris Bryan from Collingwood. Thoughts?

comrade
21-10-2009, 03:05 PM

There’s a very good reason for that :D

mighty_west
21-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Seeing as though Skipper has gone and Roughy and Cordy would seem to be a season away...

Wayde Skipper >>> Chris Bryan.

Besides, i couldn't see why Roughead couldn't play a bit part role if required, he could easily contest against the likes of Vickory [who he had the wood on in juniors] and other younger ruckmen, Everitt also showed he could be another more mobile option.

LostDog
22-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I think we are a no show at the PSD again this year

chef
28-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Mitch Thorp has been delisted by the Hawks with a year to go on his contract(must have really stuffed up or his attitude must really suck or maybe he's just a DH).

Go_Dogs
28-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Mitch Thorp has been delisted by the Hawks with a year to go on his contract(must have really stuffed up or his attitude must really suck or maybe he's just a DH).

Surely they could have kept him for another year and then offered him up as a trade for Higgins? :rolleyes: ;)

Don't really know much about Mitch, other than that most people on this site that I have seen comment on him, don't really rate him at all.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Surely they could have kept him for another year and then offered him up as a trade for Higgins? :rolleyes: ;)

Don't really know much about Mitch, other than that most people on this site that I have seen comment on him, don't really rate him at all.

I asked Rocket about Thorp and his reply was, "No. He fails the dickhead test".

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Has he got any talent though? Hasn't done much in the VFL.

Perhaps attitude and injuries forced the Hawks hand, but from the little I've seen and what I've read he hasn't fired a shot.

ledge
28-10-2009, 09:25 PM
He failed the dickhead test or he passed it? 100%

The Doctor
28-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Was that recently?

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Was that recently?

August

G-Mo77
29-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Didn't Hawthorn want Higgins and a first round pick for him or was that the other "Key Forward" that is now gone Boyle?

The Coon Dog
29-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Didn't Hawthorn want Higgins and a first round pick for him or was that the other "Key Forward" that is now gone Boyle?

They were happy to trade Boyle to us for Higgins.

G-Mo77
29-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Well that was nice of them. :)

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2009, 01:00 PM

It didn't have to be Higgins, they would have accepted pick 5.

Sedat
29-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Anyone know what Thorp 'allegedly' got up to at the Cox Plate that has 'allegedly' fast-tracked his demise at Glenferrie??

Before anyone asks, I don't know anything specific.

EasternWest
29-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Anyone know what Thorp 'allegedly' got up to at the Cox Plate that has 'allegedly' fast-tracked his demise at Glenferrie??

Do you know anything specific?

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2009, 10:31 PM

This might have been the straw that broke the camels back but I heard tonight that he was given some idea that this was coming a few months back.

Wing_Nut
30-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Can I get people's thoughts on Matt Macguire?

Has now been delisted by St Kilda and would seem to be the right fit (position wise) for the the club.

I'd expect he would gather a fair bit of interest from other clubs. From what I've read his form was only average this year in the VFL.

GVGjr
30-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Has now been delisted by St Kilda and would seem to be the right fit (position wise) for the the club.

I'd expect he would gather a fair bit of interest from other clubs. From what I've read his form was only average this year in the VFL.

He's struggling with his injury but there is a chance that he will find a home. As you would be aware we have very limited salary cap room and given players are offering to take a salary cut just to keep Eagleton at the club so it's unlikely we would be one of the clubs interested in him.

bulldogtragic
30-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm sure Voss will get him...

DOG GOD
30-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Regarding Thorp, i work with a hawks supporter who played with Thorp here in tassie in his local league. Said he is a MAJOR SOFT C#CK and is a bit of a sook and attention getter regarding his injury history. He said in 1 game Thorp got kicked in the leg and went off the ground not to return cause it was "sore". He also said that he has a major attitude when it comes to big noting himself. Not the type we would want at the club.

chef
10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Newton(KF) and Meesen(ruck) have been delisted by the Demons. Would either of these guys be worth looking at as rookies?

Go_Dogs
10-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Meesen is no good, would have been delisted by the Crows if Melbourne hadn't wanted him, and although he played a few good games, never did too much to excite at Norwood.

No idea about Newton, but if the Dees are delisting him, I'd pass ;)

LostDoggy
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Newton has shown some good signs in the games i have seen him in although his kicking can be of concern. Took mark of the year a couple of years ago. But again, if he cant get a game for the dees at the moment, im not sure if he would get a game for us.

Mark of the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsAlOpPcfBg

comrade
10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Newton has shown some good signs in the games i have seen him in although his kicking can be of concern. Took mark of the year a couple of years ago. But again, if he cant get a game for the dees at the moment, im not sure if he would get a game for us.

I mean this in the nicest way, but the guy is a spud of the largest potato proportions.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
TCD (i think it was) mentioning Thorpe was an interesting perspective...

Sedat
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I mean this in the nicest way, but the guy is a spud of the largest potato proportions.
The only person that rates him is that annoying SEN caller with the high-pitched private school voice, 'Chris from Camberwell'. Between him and 'Jim from Hawthorn' they waste about 50% of the bandwidth on SEN.

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Thats a fair enough call given some of his performances. The only reason I wouldnt mind getting him is because we went to the same high school and he is a good bloke. But that is not a particulary good reason.

bulldogsman
13-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Cameron Cloke just got the sack.

He seems okay for depth purposes but i'm guessing we can't afford him anyway.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Depth purposes? We should have kept Skipper then, He is a list clogger.

Sockeye Salmon
13-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I understand that he didn't really get the sack. He's had an offer from Port and was going to walk, Carlton just got in first.

It gives Carlton an out so they can pick up Maguire as well.

anfo27
14-11-2009, 03:03 PM

I may be wrong here but with Cloke getting picked for that final against Brisbane didn't it give him the number of games he needed to get an automatic contact extension?

EasternWest
14-11-2009, 09:44 PM

He's a coward. Picked the fight with Setanta, whacked him when he wasn't looking, then ran away from him. We all know the outcome of that one.

I'd rather Setanta. He's scary as hell.

ledge
15-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Looking at the work ethic of Rodneys team and the way Clokes work ethic looks i couldnt see Rodney even thinking of him anyway.

Twodogs
15-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Thats a fair enough call given some of his performances. The only reason I wouldnt mind getting him is because we went to the same high school and he is a good bloke. But that is not a particulary good reason.

Yep, I cant see the recruiting guys getting excited about him on the basis that you went to school together.

Twodogs
15-11-2009, 01:32 PM

His ability to jump, spoil and then run away with the ball was his major asset. Since the broken leg his abilty to jump and run have been severely impacted-unless he gets a medical report that says he is A1 I would leave him for Vossy.

bulldogtragic
15-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I can't see us touching any seocnd handers, Mal Lynch with a final pick the only exception.

Axe Man
24-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Noticed in an article on the AFL site we have an interest in ex-Demon Simon Buckley;

"Buckley has been training with North Melbourne, but Collingwood, the Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs are also believed to be interested."

Article Here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87405/default.aspx

I really don't know much about him, but being delisted from the bottom team at 22 years of age doesn't fill me with confidence. Anybody have any thoughts on Buckley?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Noticed in an article on the AFL site we have an interest in ex-Demon Simon Buckley;

"Buckley has been training with North Melbourne, but Collingwood, the Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs are also believed to be interested."

Article Here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87405/default.aspx

I really don't know much about him, but being delisted from the bottom team at 22 years of age doesn't fill me with confidence. Anybody have any thoughts on Buckley?

At this stage of the year, the club probably makes an enquiry about a lot of delisted players. A lot of the time, no more than that.

Buckley had a lot of dare and speed when I saw him play but he'd often get caught with it doing too much or turn the ball over. Looked a decent prospect a few years ago but he just didn't improve his game and as a result has been delisted.

Maybe worth a rookie?