PDA

View Full Version : Dirt-cheap Dog: Jason Akermanis willing to accept paycut

The Coon Dog
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
* Mark Stevens * From: Herald Sun * October 13, 2009 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/10/12/1225786/044104-jason-akermanis.jpg

JASON Akermanis will finish his career as a bargain-basement Bulldog.

The veteran is willing to accept a pay cut of more than 50 per cent to play on next year, knowing the Western Bulldogs are burdened by extreme salary cap pressure.

Akermanis's manager Rick Olarenshaw last night confirmed the 32-year-old would play for significantly less than the AFL average wage of $220,000.

"I'm working closely with the club so they can squeeze him into the cap on a basic wage - much less than the AFL average wage," Olarenshaw said.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dirt-cheap-dog-jason-akermanis-willing-to-accept-paycut/story-e6frf9jf-1225786042958)

strebla
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
This bloke has gone up another notch in my humble opinion he has been nothing but good for our club since he got here but his leadership in this manor is unreal well done Aker a true bulldog

AndrewP6
12-10-2009, 11:09 PM
My man-crush on Aker grows... AKER FOR P.M!!!

Dry Rot
12-10-2009, 11:10 PM
This bloke has gone up another notch in my humble opinion he has been nothing but good for our club since he got here but his leadership in this manor is unreal well done Aker a true bulldog

What he said.

Aker is not a consummate professional, but possibly loves playing more than most.

Many in his position might have just retired.

KT31
12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
The man is a legend.
Love the way he plays and his leadership.
Acker must realise we are on the verge of something special or he would retire.

FrediKanoute
12-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I think he is living proof that the game can at times be bigger than the dollar. He knows that as a side we are close and for him earning an extra 200k is less important than helping the doggies to a Premiership. Has been a super acquisition to the Doggies!

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Well done Aker - Its about the game and it would be nice for Aker, Jonno to finish their careers with a doggies premiership!!!!!!!

Murphy'sLore
13-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Couldn't agree more. I take my hat off to Aker. THANK YOU!

westbulldog
13-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with all the posts, I would have have Aker in the leadership group for 2010.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Wasn't there a whole lot of speculation flying around that he wanted much more money than the sum he has now agreed on?

Congratulations Aker, a fine example set for the young pups!!!

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 10:26 AM
He is a fine example in many ways, he has won games off his own back this year. Another good day for our fine club and our great (and still developing) culture. I realise its not one mans doing but since Rodney came along we have developed this side of our club out of site.

Very proud.

Bulldog4life
13-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Fantastic to read this article in the Herald Sun today. Another reason why he will be fondly remembered by Bulldog supporters long after he has retired.

dadsgirl16
13-10-2009, 10:46 AM
hear! hear! to all these sentiments I love the little man

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Wasn't there a whole lot of speculation flying around that he wanted much more money than the sum he has now agreed on?

Congratulations Aker, a fine example set for the young pups!!!

Not at all. He's been happy to play on for reduced money right from the start.

He admitted he brought it on himself by telling the club that 2009 would be his last year so the club budgetted for the extra money available in the salary cap.

Stefcep
13-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah good on Aker, class act. Can't help feel that he's getting shafted by the club though- what you get paid should reflect your contribution, not your age. I can think of about 12 players whose contributions weren't as significant as Aker's this season, and he'll probably do more than about half the list next season. Except he'll see them pocket fatter pay packets at the end of the game.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 12:54 PM

He admitted he brought it on himself by telling the club that 2009 would be his last year so the club budgetted for the extra money available in the salary cap.

Which is still an indication of the class of the guy to acknowledge this instead of demanding his due to go on (which, as others have pointed out, is significant seeing as he was still one of our best performed players over the whole of the season just past).

EasternWest
13-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah good on Aker, class act. Can't help feel that he's getting shafted by the club though- what you get paid should reflect your contribution, not your age. I can think of about 12 players whose contributions weren't as significant as Aker's this season, and he'll probably do more than about half the list next season. Except he'll see them pocket fatter pay packets at the end of the game.

That's a fair point. Had Aker been in year 3 of his career, he would definitely be demanding more. But as it says in the paper today, he's been very well financially rewarded throughout his career. He's hardly playing for the cash now. As well as being a great thing to do for his club, it's a smart thing for him to do too. He knows we're close, otherwise he wouldn't be playing next year. The benefit of this is threefold: He seen to be placing success over dollars and his teammates respect that, he gets one more chance to get his hands on the cup and go out with a bang, and we, the fans love him.

Not sure his decision is entirely altruistic, but it there is certainly a large element of team thinking in it, and he is to be applauded for that. Well done Aker, I can't wait to see you, along with your teammates, on the podium next September.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Question:

When was the last time somebody played for the love of the game at a massive pay reduction, as in bygone eras when they had day jobs?

Ozza
13-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Question:

When was the last time somebody played for the love of the game at a massive pay reduction, as in bygone eras when they had day jobs?

Don't know about the last time. But Tony Liberatore certainly did. He played on in 1997 for half of his previous years wage.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 02:18 PM
There you go another Doggies player - must be our team spirit - its in the blood

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 02:21 PM

I thought I had heard that he was willing to take a py cut but wasn't going to go beneath 250. Either way, what an awesome show of character by the man!!

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Well done Aker. Will be most happy to have you aboard in 2010 - YEAR OF THE BULLDOGS!!!! :D

Sedat
13-10-2009, 05:25 PM
He's only going to fall just shy of the 100 game mark for us by the looks. That's a return you'd take from any draftee beyond the top 10.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Well done Aker. Good to hear that he will play even tho he is getting paid under the average. Carn Dogs.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 06:35 PM
He's only going to fall just shy of the 100 game mark for us by the looks. That's a return you'd take from any draftee beyond the top 10.

That's 100 pretty good games rather than 30 'development' games, 50 Ok games and 20 'in-and-out-of-the-side' games.

angelopetraglia
13-10-2009, 07:26 PM
The club has managed this very well. Great outcome.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow, well done Aker. Really shows his dedication and love for the game, and i'd like to think, club.

Can't wait til next year. If you'd told me a few years ago that our forward line would one day consist of Johnno, Aker and Bazza, there is NO WAY i'd have believed you. Ohh, yay!

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2009, 08:24 PM
and then demanded to be paid Long service leave

And scared off Shannon Grant (after Grant agreed to terms with us) by telling everyone we couldn't afford to pay players wages.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 09:34 PM
That's 100 pretty good games rather than 30 'development' games, 50 Ok games and 20 'in-and-out-of-the-side' games.

If Aker plays on to 100 games with the western bulldogs, does that means that if he has a son, he can be a father and son draftee?

That would mean he has to play on in 2011 wouldn't he?

Unlikely but a nice thought.

LostDoggy
13-10-2009, 09:42 PM
And scared off Shannon Grant (after Grant agreed to terms with us) by telling everyone we couldn't afford to pay players wages.

S Grant was/is a prick anyway.

Swoop
13-10-2009, 10:22 PM

and so was/is Liberatore, he still would have been a good pickup.

The Pie Man
14-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Really?

Never heard that - wow

Remi Moses
14-10-2009, 04:52 PM

back page of the Hun at the time. Truly admirable stuff from Aker who has been tremendous for our club.

LostDoggy
14-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Libba is truly a bloke one loves to hate, or hates to love, isn't he.

Twodogs
14-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Really?

Never heard that - wow

If Grant had come we would never had been able to recruit Paul Hudson who really was one of the great all time pea hearted players. Huddo was All-Australian for us and won games of his own boot-he was a fair replacement for Grant.

Sockeye Salmon
14-10-2009, 06:25 PM
If Grant had come we would never had been able to recruit Paul Hudson who really was one of the great all time pea hearted players. Huddo was All-Australian for us and won games of his own boot-he was a fair replacement for Grant.

He was also one of the all-time great PSD pickups.

Twodogs
14-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Back to Aker.

Is he more a Bulldog or a Lion legend these days? I know the three premierships and the Brownlow tip the scales toward BrisVegas fairly heavily but if Aker could snag a flag with us then I reckon that would make him more ours than theirs. If that makes sense...

Sockeye Salmon
14-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Back to Aker.

Is he more a Bulldog or a Lion legend these days? I know the three premierships and the Brownlow tip the scales toward BrisVegas fairly heavily but if Aker could snag a flag with us then I reckon that would make him more ours than theirs. If that makes sense...

Not even close.

I reckon he'll be remembered as a Bulldog for the next 10 years and after that the way he left Brisbane will be forgotten and they'll name the best clubman award after him or something.

Twodogs
14-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Not even close.

I reckon he'll be remembered as a Bulldog for the next 10 years and after that the way he left Brisbane will be forgotten and they'll name the best clubman award after him or something.

That made tea come out of my nostrils!:D

The Underdog
14-10-2009, 06:54 PM
There you go another Doggies player - must be our team spirit - its in the blood

We'll see how "in the blood" it is next year when those big time GC17 $$$'s come around.
There's going to be players from around the league breaking their pelvis' to get some of that action (with apologies to Bill Hicks).

LostDoggy
14-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Not even close.

Didn't the great man himself say that if he played another year with the Dogs (ie. next year) he would be remembered more as a Dog? I don't think he's right -- no one will ever forget he was the most mercurial player in a three-peat team (even articles today about Aker are still prefaced by some-or-other Brisbane factoid) but I do think that he will be forever remembered as a two-club great, ESPECIALLY if he wins a premiership with us.

Though, do we remember Martin Pike more as a Lion or Roo? I would say Lion...

I think it all depends on what he does next year -- if he ends up playing a key part in a winning Grannie for the Dogs his 'Dogginess' will never be forgotten.

LostDoggy
14-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Class act, legend, champion, I guess they all fit! Thanks Aker for showing that loyalty isn't about $'s - I am a happy, happy camper :D

GVGjr
14-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Class act, legend, champion, I guess they all fit! Thanks Aker for showing that loyalty isn't about $'s - I am a happy, happy camper :D

Whilst I think his approach to playing next year is great I'm not sure it's really a lack of loyalty. He wants to play and he's very understanding that the wealth has to be spread around. I've had one Bulldog mate say that in some ways Aker's being selfish because he's actually wanting to play in another premiership side :)

BulldogBelle
14-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Our number 1 goalkicker in 2009 getting a very mid range salary in 2010

Aker came to the Dogs to win a premiership, and hopefully he will in 2010

Twodogs
15-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I've had one Bulldog mate say that in some ways Aker's being selfish because he's actually wanting to play in another premiership side :)

In that case I wish we had a few more displaying his selfishness...

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I think everyone has well and truly covered this topic to aplomb. I just wanted to add my two bobs worth and join in the plaudits for Acker.

In one word 'Inspirational'. :)

Doc26
18-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Aker is a smart tactician and someone who loves to play the game on and off the field. He knows that to play on he had to accept a large cut in salary otherwise his hand and the club's would've been forced. I'm wrapt that he is desperate to play on with us next season and has supported the club's position. It has been all class how he's gone about it. However it's not a selfless act when he will still be earning ~200k, doing what he loves most, having a decent crack at another premiership and all its glory, continuing his exposure in the media and the value that goes along with that next year and beyond. With that I love Aker and can't wait to see him go around again for one last time in the RW&B.