PDA

View Full Version : Mathew Robbins - In the team this week?

BulldogBelle
14-05-2007, 08:56 PM
After kicking 6 goals with the Bees this week, it would be good to see Robbins back in the side. Not to sure on how the Dogs rate him at the moment but surely he is deserving of selection this week.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on Robbo and his bulldog future.

Dry Rot
14-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Structurally who would he replace?

Is his lack of versatility damning him in Eade's eyes?

bornadog
14-05-2007, 10:39 PM
After kicking 6 goals with the Bees this week, it would be good to see Robbins back in the side. Not to sure on how the Dogs rate him at the moment but surely he is deserving of selection this week.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on Robbo and his bulldog future.

Love to see him back but who do you drop?

Dry Rot
14-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Love to see him back but who do you drop?

My point re structure. It won't be Higgins or Aker.

Harbrow? Maybe, but I'd rather see Faulkner in ahead of Robbins.

Perhaps history will show that Robbins was a good stop gap while Murphy, Higgins, Darcy and Hahn were out?

southerncross
15-05-2007, 05:47 AM
If Johnson is up for head butting Holland, Robbins would be the best player to replace him.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2007, 10:02 AM
I think Hahn will keep him out. Hahn is great marking/pressuring, more so than the crumbers keeping him out. When Murphy gets back, we'll have a lot of marking targets in the forward line, and I don't think there'll be room for Robbo.

GVGjr
15-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I think Hahn will keep him out. Hahn is great marking/pressuring, more so than the crumbers keeping him out. When Murphy gets back, we'll have a lot of marking targets in the forward line, and I don't think there'll be room for Robbo.

What about if Johnno gets suspended? Holland had a fair bit of blood.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2007, 10:32 AM
If Johnson goes out this week, Robbo would certainly be the man looked at to come in. I'm not too convinced anything will come of the Johnno incident, but you never know.

Bulldog Revolution
15-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I'd like to see him back in the team, I cant believe a guy of his talent has only been a stop gap, I think the issue has more been his form has been a bit patchy pre and early season and its not the easiest position to work your way back into form. But 10 goals in two games would seem to be a pretty good foundation for promotion.

I wonder if he is the perfect player to negate the influence of Heath Shaw this week, who has been cutting teams up as a rebounding half back. In the final last year Robbo and Johnson worried Collingwood because of their pace and leading abilities. If Clement isn't right I think we might stretch Collingwood in this area. They kept shuffling Clement from Robbo to Johnno and back again.

mjp
15-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Harbrow has been better than Robbins at AFL level this year. I cannot see any reason why Robbins would replace him.

The truth is that Higgins is playing in his spot - he needs to earn his place back through weight of goals over a period of weeks, not a one week deal. He has been following a bit of a selection yo-yo this year, and probably deserves better than that given his consistent performances over the last few years. His best chance to establish a spot in the team is to play a Werribee for a few weeks, and be selected when he is in red-hot form and full of confidence - and therefore likely to put 2 or 3 good ones together at AFL level and get a few 'credits' in the bank with the match committee.

He simply is not deserving of a spot at the moment.

(Then again, Street was not deserving of selection vs Melbourne, and that turned out alright, so what do I know!)

Raw Toast
15-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Harbrow has been better than Robbins at AFL level this year. I cannot see any reason why Robbins would replace him.

The truth is that Higgins is playing in his spot - he needs to earn his place back through weight of goals over a period of weeks, not a one week deal. He has been following a bit of a selection yo-yo this year, and probably deserves better than that given his consistent performances over the last few years. His best chance to establish a spot in the team is to play a Werribee for a few weeks, and be selected when he is in red-hot form and full of confidence - and therefore likely to put 2 or 3 good ones together at AFL level and get a few 'credits' in the bank with the match committee.

He simply is not deserving of a spot at the moment.

(Then again, Street was not deserving of selection vs Melbourne, and that turned out alright, so what do I know!)

Agree with this Mike.

Difference with Robbins and Street is that Street replaced someone who was down on form, whereas Higgins and Harbrow have both been offering a bit.

I've been surprised that few people rated Harbrow's game. He came on late in the first quarter, got a coupe of touches, and then with 8 touches in the second was a pretty important part of us getting on top in that term. He showed he's got a decent right foot and that he's comfortable swinging straight onto that if need be, which was good to see. And he provided some nice zip - he's a bit like a smaller Murphy at times in his ability to lead up into the ground and then get the ball moving. Spent a bit of time in defence in the third quarter on Green I think, was in the centre square for at least one bounce, and then didn't get much of it in the rest of the game but a pretty promising effort for game 2 all up.

Aker is another whose inclusion is limiting Robbins' chances, and I agree with McMahon#23 that Hahn's return is a further impediment for Robbins.

I can understand that all this might be a bit frustrating for Robbins, but it's good for us to have players like him, Power (and Minson to a certain extent) trying to force their way back in. Hopefully it means that when he gets a chance he'll be both in form and super hungry, though he'll need to translate the hunger into defensive pressure rather than selfishness.

GVGjr
15-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder if he is the perfect player to negate the influence of Heath Shaw this week, who has been cutting teams up as a rebounding half back. In the final last year Robbo and Johnson worried Collingwood because of their pace and leading abilities. If Clement isn't right I think we might stretch Collingwood in this area. They kept shuffling Clement from Robbo to Johnno and back again.

That is an excellent point. Robbins is our best defensive forward and Shaw a good attacking defender. Might be an idea to play Shaw the same way that the Crows played Gilbee.

mjp
15-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I've been surprised that few people rated Harbrow's game.

Harbrow was really good - impacted the contest and caused Melbourne some problems. If Tom Williams played like that, there would be some people calling for him to be elevated immediately to the leadership group, if not directly usurping Johnno as captain (effective this week) and potentially also taking charge of the huddle from Eade at each of the breaks.

Harbrow has played well in his appearances so far. He played consistently well at Werribee. He played well in the pre-season. I am really not sure what more he could have done as a 1st year player...maybe convert a couple of the opportunities he has created into goals I guess.

Raw Toast
15-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Harbrow has played well in his appearances so far. He played consistently well at Werribee. He played well in the pre-season. I am really not sure what more he could have done as a 1st year player...maybe convert a couple of the opportunities he has created into goals I guess.

There was one moment in the 2nd term where he gathered the ball just outside 50 and swung immediately onto his right, where I thought he could've turned onto his left taken a few steps and gone for goal. This is the kind of thing he's done with success at Werribee and should come with confidence (and shouldn't be forced anyway).

He's clearly earnt his spot, made an impact in his first game, and made a bigger impact in his second. Can't see how it can be good management to drop him again after this performance, especially since as a rookie he might only be available for a few more games this season (depending on further major injuries).

bornadog
15-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Well would you bring in Robbins for Addison?

mjp
16-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Forward pocket player for a small defender/midfielder?

I dont think so.

bornadog
16-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Forward pocket player for a small defender/midfielder?

I dont think so.

With the flexibility of players, your point isnot really valid. If Robbins deserves to come and if Addison deserves to be out then the team will be moved around appropriatetly.

Mantis
16-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I cant see a spot for him at present.. On Sunday vs Melbourne we had 5 players in our forwardline at various stages that for different reasons didn't play at the end of last season. Someone has to make way for these players and one of these is Robbins. We have a heap of quality small forwards all of which bring something different to the side. Robbins isnt at as flexible as many of these and for that reason isnt getting a game at the minute. The form of these smallish forwards in the team at present is also quite good so until that drops away or we we cop some injuries then I think Robbins stays at W'Bee for the time being.

Mantis
16-05-2007, 12:13 PM
With the flexibility of players, your point isnot really valid. If Robbins deserves to come and if Addison deserves to be out then the team will be moved around appropriatetly.

But does Robbins deserve a spot more so than someone like Faulkner...I think not.

mjp
16-05-2007, 12:50 PM

I actually think it EMPHASISES my point. If Addison is struggling, then Robbins will not be the replacement. Addison adds run and flexibility to the team - Robbo gives us an extra small forward. From a coaching/match-up perspective, this is a bad swap as all of a sudden you have too many guys who are limited in the roles they can play.

If he comes in, it would be to replace either Harbrow, Hahn or even (given injury) Johnno. He is not a good replacement for Addison at all. If you wanted Faulkner or Power for Addison, I could sort of see where you are coming from.

dog town
16-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Have to agree with RT and MJP here. Harbrow was impressive in his short amount of time on the ground and has come off two good performances at Werribee after he was probably harshly dropped. He has not put a foot wrong and has done more to command a place in the side than Robbins so far this season. The way he responded to being dropped after the Richmond game was the sign of a class player particularly given his inexperience. He has better foot skills than I gave him credit for and thats is going to compliment his evasive abilities. We actually really need to pump games into our young running players because we are not as well stocked as we seem to think.

Robbo will have his chance again. He is still a good dangerous forward for us. He needs to regain the defensive side to his game to give himself another string to his bow. Cant agree that he is our best defensive forward any more.Correct me if im wrong but it must have been 12 months since he last took down a defender with a holding the ball in our forward 50 and maybe even as far back as 2005. I really see it as a bit of a myth these days. He has put on only 3 tackles this season and had only 52 from 24 games last season (thats actually a reasonable total but nothing out of the ordinary). If he can get back that defensive pressure that he was doing so well in 2004/2005/early 2006 then he will have more to offer than a 3 goal game every couple of weeks. I like having him in the side because he is always dangerous and takes a good defender but I want him contributing more than what he has been.

Dry Rot
16-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Why do you think Robbins' defensive game has fallen away?

dog town
16-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Why do you think Robbins' defensive game has fallen away? Its not as if its non existant I just dont think he is using his pace to chase blokes down as much these days. I think opposition players are more aware of him and he may have just got a little bit comfortable (kicked 40 goals last year so might have felt pretty safe) and forgotten what secured him a place in the forward line to start with. Its easier to cop a 5 possesion game from him if he is applying plenty of pressure. I might be being a bit harsh but I have kept an eye on his defensive pressure for a while now and its not even close to what it was.

Mofra
16-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Why do you think Robbins' defensive game has fallen away?
No, the players around him have caught up.

Who were his F50 compatriots last year:
- Johnno (players tag him even on the rebound he is so dangerous)
- Gia (has little defensive side for the most part anyway)
- Cooney (for mine, is a different player this year, seen under packs & running down defenders at times this year. His workrate is up. Last year he drifted off a few times)
- Resting Street & Minson, not noted quicks who often catch up with players, RoJo notwithstanding.

This year he shares the F50 arc with:
- Higgins, excellent defensive side for a young playmaker
- Darcy, plays deeper than Robbo so unliklely to catch anyone
- Power, often plays as a defensive forward
- Harbrow, noted tackler
- Hahn, he is a pressure player, enough said
- Murph, played as a defender for a while, knows how to stop an opponent

Put simply, this year we have more players who can play defensive roles in the F50. Robbo may not be doing less, it is just that compared to his teammates this year, he is less likely to stand out whilst doing it because so many others are.

bornadog
16-05-2007, 10:18 PM
If he comes in, it would be to replace either Harbrow, Hahn or even (given injury) Johnno. He is not a good replacement for Addison at all. If you wanted Faulkner or Power for Addison, I could sort of see where you are coming from.

I actually don't think we should drop Addison, he really impresses me even thou he makes some mistakes. Your right with your assessment on Robins for Addison, I was just trying to see who could be dropped if we thought Robbins would come in and I couldn't think of any one.

I think at the end of the day, the coaching staff will look at the opposition and and try and see who the best match ups are. maybe Robbins need a few more weeks in the Bees before he can be considered.

Go_Dogs
17-05-2007, 09:59 AM
So unchanged this week?

Mantis
17-05-2007, 10:51 AM
So unchanged this week?

There are many possible in's, I would think all of Faulkner, Power, Robbins & Skipper have a case for being included for various reasons, but who goes out? I think they may keep a status quo this week and see how several players perform, and then make a few changes for the Sydney game. Am I right in saying that W'Bee dont play for 3 weeks due to the bye then state game, will make it hard for these guys to keep there form up..

Go_Dogs
17-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I think your right re: Werribee, possibly only 2 weeks, but definitely an extended period w/o a game.