PDA

View Full Version : Testing our depth & the injury room: Team Rd 1 2010

Dry Rot
15-10-2009, 11:46 PM
IIRC, we have a number of players with serious problems to overcome in the pre-season:

- Cooney

- Murphy

- Cross

- Morris

- Reid

(Any others?)

EDIT:

- Tiller

- Picken

For the sake of the argument, let's say Eagle isn't on our list either.

If the above guys were still unavailable at the start of the season, what would our RD 1 team look like?

FrediKanoute
16-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Ineresting point, you've forgotten Tiller who has also had surgery. Assuming that they are all unavailable and we don't get any more injuries my guess the side would look like:

FB Callan Lake Hargrave
HB harbrow Williams Gilbee
C Hill Boyd Everitt
HF Gia Hahn Johnno
FF Aka Hall Stack
Foll Hudson Higgins Griffin
Bench Addison, Minson, Wood, Grant

Those in bold are the ones where its debateable/lack experience and we could get exposed. Its not a great team to be carrying into the opening few rounds and is an interesting exercise in that it shows just how a few injuries can make a mes of the best laid plans!

chef
16-10-2009, 08:03 AM
FB Harbrow Lake Hargrave
HB Gilbee Wlliams Callan
C Griffen Boyd Hill
HF Stack Everitt Johnson
FF Higgins Hall Hahn
RR Hudson Cooney Ward
IC Gia Minson Akermanis Wood

The Pie Man
16-10-2009, 08:41 AM
FB Harbrow Lake Hargrave
HB Gilbee Wlliams Callan
C Griffen Boyd Hill
HF Hill Everitt Johnson
FF Higgins Hall Hahn
RR Hudson Cooney Ward
IC Gia Minson Akermanis Wood

That could go alright, though I'd probably rather two Lakes :)

The Doctor
16-10-2009, 08:43 AM
With so many players to having disrupted pre-seasons and some likely not to be ready for the early part of the season I wonder if this may influence recruiting.

Will we look for a player or two who could step in round 1. A mature age rookie or a delisted young player who has had experience on an AFL list perhaps? Will Eagle now get a reprieve?

Ozza
16-10-2009, 10:07 AM
IIRC, we have a number of players with serious problems to overcome in the pre-season:

- Cooney

- Murphy

- Cross

- Morris

- Reid

(Any others?)

For the sake of the argument, let's say Eagle isn't on our list either.

If the above guys were still unavailable at the start of the season, what would our RD 1 team look like?
Picken (shoulder)

Dry Rot
16-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Ineresting point, you've forgotten Tiller who has also had surgery.

Picken (shoulder)

Thanks. OP edited.

Swoop
16-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd be going for something along these lines;

Everitt Lake Harbrow
Gilbee Williams Hargrave
Addison Boyd Ward
Guido Hahn Johnson
Aker Hall Hill
Hudson Griffen, Higgins
Int: Minson, Callan, Wood, Stack

Ideally Stack has a strong preseason and shows something early on has there will be doors opening for him this season provided his form warrants selection, this will be a big year for him.

Topdog
16-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Why has Cooney been listed in so many teams when the OP says "If all these are injured what would our team be?"

steveyp
16-10-2009, 01:16 PM
u forgot murphy

The Coon Dog
16-10-2009, 01:39 PM
u forgot murphy

steveyp, can you please do us a favour here & not type like you're on MSN. ;)

Topdog
16-10-2009, 04:54 PM
u forgot murphy

Murphy isn't listed in anyone's team.

BulldogBelle
16-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I think all the teams as listed are pretty strong. Maybe we are underestimating our depth!

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 02:35 PM
FB: Harbrow Lake Addison
HB: Gilbee Williams Hargrave
C: Wood Boyd Griffen
HF: Hill Everitt Aker
FF: Johnson Hall Hahn
RR: Hudson Higgins Ward
INT: Minson Eagleton Gia Grant

Popcorn Chicken
17-10-2009, 02:43 PM
FB: Harbrow Lake Addison
C: Wood Boyd Griffen
HF: Hill Everitt Aker
FF: Johnson Hall Hahn
RR: Hudson Higgins Ward
INT: Roughead Boumann Gia Grant

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 11:03 AM
B: Harbrow Lake Hargrave
HB: Griffen Williams Gilbee
C: Everitt Boyd Hill
HF: Gia Johnno Higgins
F: Aker Hall Hahn
R: Hudson Ward Addison
I: Minson Stack Callan Wood

Points to note:

I have a half-back line of Griffen Williams and Gilbee, which + Harbrow would provide a lot of run. It's also where I think Griff should play.

Also a centre-line of Everitt, Boyd and Hill, where I think the two wings would be nightmare match-ups for most teams, and is their best natural position.

And I've put Addison (with Huddo and Ward) into the ruck to cover for Crossy and Picken as a tough, in-and-under Brett Kirk type. I think he's up to it.

--

ps. I've got Johnno as CHF -- I don't know how realistic this is, but I think he (if fully fit) would be a gun CHF, and he and Hall and Hahn can swap around, I suppose.

Ozza
20-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I have to say Lantern, I have serious doubts on Addison. Would love to be proved wrong - but I just can't envisage him ever being a genuine midfielder. He is incredibly slow, he doesn't get rid of the ball anywhere near quick enough and doesn't appear to have the core strength to stand up in the tackle.

As I said - love to be proved wrong - but just can't see it at this stage.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I have to say Lantern, I have serious doubts on Addison. Would love to be proved wrong - but I just can't envisage him ever being a genuine midfielder. He is incredibly slow, he doesn't get rid of the ball anywhere near quick enough and doesn't appear to have the core strength to stand up in the tackle.

As I said - love to be proved wrong - but just can't see it at this stage.

I probably agree with all of this -- his disposal is his biggest weakness, but if he can develop some quicker hands it may compensate a bit. His kicking is actually not as bad as it can sometimes seem, and actually probably has better penetration than Crossy's.

Speed isn't the most important asset for an inside midfielder, and he's tough as nails -- I hope he 'wills' himself to become that tough nut that just gets from contest to contest (like Kirky does), and the core strength stuff can be developed from a pretty solid base -- he's not the worst tackler in the world, after all. He's got the ultra-competitiveness that can't be taught, at least.

Having said that Reid, Cross, Picken, Boyd etc. would be ahead of him in the queue, but I just think he should template himself on Kirk, who would be a walk-up start in most sides in the past few years despite being seen as not having all the tools early in his career.

Ozza
20-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I probably agree with all of this -- his disposal is his biggest weakness, but if he can develop some quicker hands it may compensate a bit. His kicking is actually not as bad as it can sometimes seem, and actually probably has better penetration than Crossy's.

Speed isn't the most important asset for an inside midfielder, and he's tough as nails -- I hope he 'wills' himself to become that tough nut that just gets from contest to contest (like Kirky does), and the core strength stuff can be developed from a pretty solid base -- he's not the worst tackler in the world, after all. He's got the ultra-competitiveness that can't be taught, at least.

Having said that Reid, Cross, Picken, Boyd etc. would be ahead of him in the queue, but I just think he should template himself on Kirk, who would be a walk-up start in most sides in the past few years despite being seen as not having all the tools early in his career.

The 'quicker hands' point above stands out mostly for me. Boyd and Cross in particular have lightning quick hands in close and they are always clean - and this enables - particularly Crossy, to be very effective in freeing up the running midfielders. Would certainly be a huge help to Addison's game and would lessen the impact of his lack of speed.

A scenario that comes to mind was during the Geelong game in Round 21. A pass came to Addison just defensive side of the wing and he got to an awkward half volley but got snaffled up staright away holding the ball. It wasn't that it was a terrible effort - it was just that Cross or Gia would have shot off the handball straight away - or Boyd, Coons, Griffen would have had the strength to hold the tackler off enough to get rid of the ball - perhaps Ward or Higgins would have summed up the situation better than running flat out at the half volley etc.

I guess its those type of difficult moments where you see the difference between the really good players and those that aren't quite up to it (yet).

There are certainly no doubts on Addison in terms of being committed and brave - and I don't mind his kicking either - but he just isn't as well rounded as most others in our seniors.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 03:07 PM
The 'quicker hands' point above stands out mostly for me. Boyd and Cross in particular have lightning quick hands in close and they are always clean - and this enables - particularly Crossy, to be very effective in freeing up the running midfielders. Would certainly be a huge help to Addison's game and would lessen the impact of his lack of speed.

A scenario that comes to mind was during the Geelong game in Round 21. A pass came to Addison just defensive side of the wing and he got to an awkward half volley but got snaffled up staright away holding the ball. It wasn't that it was a terrible effort - it was just that Cross or Gia would have shot off the handball straight away - or Boyd, Coons, Griffen would have had the strength to hold the tackler off enough to get rid of the ball - perhaps Ward or Higgins would have summed up the situation better than running flat out at the half volley etc.

I guess its those type of difficult moments where you see the difference between the really good players and those that aren't quite up to it (yet).

There are certainly no doubts on Addison in terms of being committed and brave - and I don't mind his kicking either - but he just isn't as well rounded as most others in our seniors.

Nice post and great example re: the Geelong game.

Funny thing is though, despite common belief, Crossy's hands aren't actually all that clean (according to Rocket), which is why he starts outside the square. He compensates by speed of thought, a certain 'burrowing' mentality, and great peripheral vision. Isn't that strange?

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2009, 03:30 PM
That could go alright, though I'd probably rather two Lakes :)

Make it happen Pie Man!

Assuming injured players (Cooney Murphy, Cross, Morris, Reid, Tiller & Picken)

B: Harbrow Lake Callan
C: Griffen Boyd Everitt
HF: Aker Hahn Giansiracusa
F: Johnson Hall Hill
R: Minson Ward Higgins
I: Hudson Lynch Stack Addison
Emerg: Wood Grant Boumann

Notes:

Callan has to be played earlier in the year in 2010,

Griffen's brilliant prelim final performance has convinced me the wing is his spot, provided he can up his work rate and play with an increased intensity.

Everitt needs to be given some genuine chances to see what he can add - I think the wing is a good spot to start for him.

I am hopeful that Ward and Higgins will be able to take a big leap forward after another big preseason running campaign and hence are selected on-ball. Arguably Boyd could be on ball, and one of those two selected as our centreman

Forward line pretty straight forward.

As the wildcard on interchange I've given Lynch a shot in the possibility that his career with us is still alive. Lynch still has enormous talent and great pace.

Go_Dogs
20-10-2009, 07:16 PM

I can clearly recall this instance, and I don't recall seeing anyone in the near vicinity whom he could have hand passed to. I made reference to this at the time also, but it was Addison's exceptionally clean hands at ground level that got him in trouble. Not many players would have taken that half volley at speed that cleanly, because he cleanly took possession and someone was bearing down he got tackled and a holding the ball was paid. It was a poor decision imo as he didn't have much of a chance to dispose of it, and really, not many other players would even have been able to take possession in that circumstance, so he was really punished for his super clean hands. That was my take anyway....

soupman
21-10-2009, 11:34 AM
FB: Harbrow, Lake, Addison
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Hill, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Giansiracusa, Akermanis, Stack
FF: Hahn, Hall, Johnson
Ru: Hudson, Higgins, Ward
Int: Minson, Everitt, Callan, Wood