PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility key to Everitt's Dog future

The Coon Dog
17-10-2009, 06:09 PM
By Jennifer Witham 5:50 PM Sat 17 October, 2009

VERSATILITY will be the key factor in Andrejs Everitt's quest to play regular senior football for the Western Bulldogs next year after a tumultuous trade period that threatened his place at the club.

The 20-year-old was a hot topic during trade week after his management informed the club he was frustrated with the lack of senior opportunities he received in 2009.

Tom Williams, when fully fit, was preferred as the centre half-back option, which froze Everitt out of the side and left him to impress when brought in as a late replacement for ruckman Ben Hudson in round 22.

"We now need to look at the fact he can play in other spots and we'll focus on that over the summer," Everitt's manager Ricky Nixon told afl.com.au on Friday.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86151/default.aspx)

*Yes Ricky, it was you who was shopping him around!

Sockeye Salmon
17-10-2009, 07:09 PM
"We now need to look at the fact he can play in other spots and we'll focus on that over the summer," Everitt's manager Ricky Nixon told afl.com.au on Friday.

"I thought he was lacking opportunities at the Bulldogs, and Tom was probably getting opportunities ahead of him."

You thought???

WTF???

I wasn't even Everitt's idea to look for a trade, it was his friggin' managers!!!

Hotdog60
17-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Should manager has his 2 cents worth when a player has signed a contract, an agreement has been made and the vultures should stay away from the carcase until the end of that contract.
If Dre had issues he should approach the coach and discuss his concerns, not hide behind the manager. Maybe if there he wasn't getting anywhere with Eade you could result in a mediator. It seems to me that Dre needs to grow a pair.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Coincidentially Nixon also manages Rocket too.

GVGjr
17-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I wasn't even Everitt's idea to look for a trade, it was his friggin' managers!!!

Same manager as Eade. Do you think some discussions might have been had indicating that Everitt was behind a few others which then prompted his name being thrown forward?

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't know why players/coach don't manage themselves? Its not that difficult. Even a family member or friend could look after your interests better than some of the agents out there.

If I was Everitt I'd be sacking Nixon, make me sign a contract then almost immediately after want me to change clubs?

Sockeye Salmon
17-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Same manager as Eade.

Why would that matter?

GVGjr
17-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Why would that matter?

You don't think the communication between the two would ever venture on to the Bulldog players Nixon manages?
If Nixon was under the impression that Everitt was somewhat out of favor with the coach I'm sure he would be pro-active in exploring opportunities at other clubs.

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 10:56 PM
You don't think the communication between the two would ever venture on to the Bulldog players Nixon manages?
If Nixon was under the impression that Everitt was somewhat out of favor with the coach I'm sure he would be pro-active in exploring opportunities at other clubs.

Wouldn't be very professional on behalf of Ricky, if it did.

Max469
17-10-2009, 10:56 PM
[I]"

Not from what I heard 6 months ago.

I knew 6 months ago he didn't want to be there next year. But signed a contract? Was confused when I heard that bit.

I like Everett and would have been disappointed if he had been traded.

He should be played on the wing, so he can run and he needs to up his work rate.

One of the guys I work with, has known him since he played against his son as a kid, says he is lazy - doesn't want to do the hard work.

Nixon is and always will be a tool.

GVGjr
17-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Wouldn't be very professional on behalf of Ricky, if it did.

I think the player might have a different view on that. I'm assuming he want's to be a regular senior player.

Dry Rot
17-10-2009, 11:16 PM

I knew 6 months ago he didn't want to be there next year. But signed a contract? Was confused when I heard that bit.

He should be played on the wing, so he can run and he needs to up his work rate.

One of the guys I work with, has known him since he played against his son as a kid, says he is lazy - doesn't want to do the hard work.

If Everitt had Harbrow's heart and Aker's brain he would be one one of the best players in the comp.

Bit odd that he re-signed if that's what he thought, unless his manager did a bit of scouting and found that a few other clubs thought the same about him.

Remi Moses
18-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Simple solution Andrejs,make it impossible for the selectors and Rocket not to pick you. Play well at Williamstown and don't look like you have cracked the sads!

Remi Moses
18-10-2009, 03:52 AM

Yes Nixon is a total flog

azabob
18-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Why do people on this forum think player managers are the devil?
The reason they are employed by a player is to get the best deal for their player wether that be money or game time.

IMO we all need to stop blaming the manager and start putting some responsibility on these grown men.

You may think Nixon is a "flog" and Oleranshaw is a "tool" but they must be pretty good at there job otherwise players wouldn't sign up with them and in Nixons case Coaches.

Go_Dogs
18-10-2009, 11:07 AM
IMO we all need to stop blaming the manager and start putting some responsibility on these grown men.

Whilst I agree with you that the managers are not 100% responsible, or perhaps even close to 50% - but in Everitt's case, he's hardly a grown man, he's still a kid. As far as business suave and knowledge regarding a contract, these kids are immature and have little knowledge, so they require and receive assistance from those who know more and can provide them with some options and advice.

ledge
18-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Like Solicitors in divorce cases, always trying to get more, fair is not a word they know of.

KT31
18-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Like Solicitors in divorce cases, always trying to get more, fair is not a word they know of.

Not sure their would be anything in it for Ricky as The Dre already had a two year deal stitched up.
If he moved club , wouldn't he still be on the same amount of dollars ?

The Coon Dog
18-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Not sure their would be anything in it for Ricky as The Dre already had a two year deal stitched up.
If he moved club , wouldn't he still be on the same amount of dollars ?

If he moved to a club & played more senior games, he'd earn more money & the commission payable to his manager would be greater.

KT31
18-10-2009, 10:28 PM
If he moved to a club & played more senior games, he'd earn more money & the commission payable to his manager would be greater.

Thankyou TCD.
Of course, I should have thought of that.
And here I was thinking Ricky might of had his clients playing future in mind.
Lucky I'm not a manager.
Although I would try and talk all the talented players to play with the Dog's for next to nothing.

Go_Dogs
19-10-2009, 09:55 AM

So, they earn commission on senior games played etc? Interesting. Perhaps like the financial services industry it's time for an over-haul and a fee for service system, and a move away from commission. No doubt that played some part in Sam Reid's manager wanting 'more senior opportunities' for him.

Mantis
19-10-2009, 11:00 AM
So, they earn commission on senior games played etc? Interesting. Perhaps like the financial services industry it's time for an over-haul and a fee for service system, and a move away from commission. No doubt that played some part in Sam Reid's manager wanting 'more senior opportunities' for him.

I think that was driven by Sam a little. I think he was disappointed that a few others got opportunities ahead of him when his form suggested he should have been given a senior game first.

Topdog
19-10-2009, 11:18 AM

No his next contract would be greater so he'd earn more. Or Everitt would get paid more for playing more games which means that his manager would get x% of that.

ledge
19-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I think Everitt could make a really good tall marking winger floating around a bit like Hill but being more on the defensive side.
He showed he could do that but his body hasnt grown into a one on one option, but as a winger it means he isnt playing on bigger built players and could do most opposition wingers in the air i would think.
I think he reads the play well but just gets bundled out the way at times due to his build.

bornadog
19-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I think Everitt could make a really good tall marking winger floating around a bit like Hill but being more on the defensive side.
He showed he could do that but his body hasnt grown into a one on one option, but as a winger it means he isnt playing on bigger built players and could do most opposition wingers in the air i would think.
I think he reads the play well but just gets bundled out the way at times due to his build.

He would also be hard to match up in that role, could give the opposition a headache

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Interesting that the club would offer him up as a trade after having just signed Everitt for a further two years. The truth of the matter was that with a big increase in Lake's contract and the decision of Aker to play on the club ran into salary cap issues. Given our ageing list it could be a good thing that Everitt has been retained. The final game against Collingwood did show that he is capable of much better things.