PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in new homes?

Dry Rot
17-10-2009, 11:13 PM
IIRC Wallace made sweeping changes eg trading Cameron in 1999 to get some new blood.

Ten years on, and we've had a mixed bag trading.

Early on, we got players like Harrison, Bandy, Koops, Street, Garlick (not bad), Winmar and of course the mighty Jade Rawlings.

Not a good score card there.

But more recently we've done very well under Eade with Aker, Hudson and Welsh.

But what about the other side of the ledger?

IIRC clubs who have received Dogs players haven't done so well. Bowden, Power, Brown (pretty good till he broke his leg), McMahon - it seems our rejects haven't really gone onto glory anywhere, except a bloke who's name escapes me who IIRC got a flag with Port. I suppose Ray has done OK at Saints.

Have I missed someone? Is it fair to say that most who left us in the last decade were duds?

chef
17-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Luke Penny did alright at the Saints until his body failed him.

Hotdog60
17-10-2009, 11:40 PM
except a bloke who's name escapes me who IIRC got a flag with Port.

Brett Montgomery went and came back again.

Shane Birss went to ST. Kilda and played 20 games over 2 seasons

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Luke Penny did alright at the Saints until his heart failed him.

Edited for accuracy

Not keen on doing the hard yards, young Luke.

ledge
18-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Ray already has a grand final under his belt and is doing okay.

Twodogs
18-10-2009, 12:18 PM
it seems our rejects haven't really gone onto glory anywhere, except a bloke who's name escapes me who IIRC got a flag with Port.

Brett Montgomery went and came back again.

I think it's Josh Mahoney that DR is talking about.

Doc26
18-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Edited for accuracy

Not keen on doing the hard yards, young Luke.

Here's hoping Andrejs doesn't follow a similar path to Luke.

Studentlib
19-10-2009, 10:13 AM
But we got pretty good value out of Huddo Mark One version. Was a Wallace success from memory.

Ozza
19-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Illija Grgic, Daniel Hargreaves, James Cook and Mark Alvey all failed elsewhere.

Josh Mahoney, Shane Ellen and Monty won flags elsewhere.

Remember the string of blokes (stars at other clubs) we got in the twilight of their careers.
Phil Krakour, Nicky Winmar, Richard Osborne, Andrew Wills!! (coming off a big year with Freo).

LostDog
19-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Bernard Toohey

ledge
19-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I think we did very well with those players except Wills.

Osborne was brilliant for us, remember he was really in trouble with a major head injury before he came to us.

Duperouzel was good too but the players we got for Dempsey were a disaster.

In all i think in the 70s and 80s what players we picked up were mostly duds , but lately we get a decent return from most.

Cyberdoggie
19-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Brad Hardie.

Brownlow medalist, went to Brisbane for various reasons.
Never really starred, didn't help that he was up at the bears in the experimental phase at carrara. He also got fat and that was that.

Studentlib
19-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Not to forget the young wingman who went back to Adelaide with (claimed?) homesickness and played in some Crow premierships from memory. Can't remember his name. Was that the real story?

ledge
19-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Was that Shane Ellen? kicked 6 goals in a grand final i think.

The Coon Dog
19-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Not to forget the young wingman who went back to Adelaide with (claimed?) homesickness and played in some Crow premierships from memory. Can't remember his name. Was that the real story?

Kym Koster, then did his knee upon his return to the Whitten Oval.

ledge
19-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Koster he was pretty good a favourite of mine.

Ahh Baz you bring back some forgotten names, its pretty wierd how quickly we can forget pretty decent players.

mighty_west
19-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Brad Hardie.

Brownlow medalist, went to Brisbane for various reasons.
Never really starred, didn't help that he was up at the bears in the experimental phase at carrara. He also got fat and that was that.

He starred one game booting 9 goals, and i'm pretty sure that record stands for most goals for Brissy, or did Jono Brown beat it?

If only Brad & Mick Malthouse didn't have their spat, Hardie was a dead set gun at the Dogs.

bornadog
19-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I was pretty pissed off when Jim Edmond left us.

LostDog
19-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Brad Murphy
Paul Dooley

Alfs Nuts
19-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I thought the cleanout presided over by Wallace in 1999 was a disaster at the time and still think it cost us a real chance for a flag in the following years.
Leon Cameron went to Richmond and played in the preliminary final in 2001, Brett Montgomery went to Port, won their B & F in 2000, All Australian in 2002 and played in a premiership in 2004 and Stephen Powell went to Melbourne where he played in a grand final in 2000.
I think all 3 were well regarded by the playing group and their departure seemed to affect the team morale at the time. I know we went downhill from there.

Ozza
19-10-2009, 02:09 PM
He starred one game booting 9 goals, and i'm pretty sure that record stands for most goals for Brissy, or did Jono Brown beat it?

If only Brad & Mick Malthouse didn't have their spat, Hardie was a dead set gun at the Dogs.

Jono Brown beat it by kicking 10 v Carlton - but Hardie had the record for a long while. He kicked 9 goals v Carlton at Princess park in a game they won by 3 points.

Didn't get the 3 brownlow votes though!

Hardie kicked 54 goals that season.

BulldogBelle
19-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Barry Standfield

mighty_west
19-10-2009, 04:40 PM
2 players we offloaded to the Hawks:

Scotty West's good buddy Simon Cox
Kingsley Hunter

The Pie Man
19-10-2009, 04:52 PM
2 players we offloaded to the Hawks:

Scotty West's good buddy Simon Cox
Kingsley Hunter

Cox won their B&F in his first year there didn't he?

And was there any truth to that stuff with West?

Ozza
19-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Cox won their B&F in his first year there didn't he?

And was there any truth to that stuff with West?

I'm not sure about the rumours about Cox - but they were pretty strong rumours.

He definitely didn't win a B&F at Hawthorn though.

The Pie Man
19-10-2009, 05:47 PM

You're right - I don't know why I thought I'd heard that :o

Doc26
19-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Was a big fan of Tony McGuiness when he was with us back in the mid to late 80s before moving to the Crows although was hardly a failure there where he captained them for a couple of years before Blighty moved him on.

ratsmac
19-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Darren Baxter didnt do much at the hawks from memory.

Studentlib
19-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Brian Wilson to North Melbourne and a Brownlow I think?

SPower
19-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Brian Wilson to North Melbourne and a Brownlow I think?

Willo went to Melbourne and like Round and Quinlan won Charlie at other clubs.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I posted this a couple of years back.

B: Hardie, Sandilands, Penny
HB: McLean, McGhie, Cameron
C: Collins, Featherby, Thorpe
HF: Stoneham, Templeton, McGuinness
F: Edmond, Quinlan, Brown
R: Dempsey, Dunstan, Bissett
I: Round, Huppatz, McMahon, Wilson

E: Edwards (F/S), Wearmouth (F/S), Raines (U19's - traded for Marty McMillian).

Sedat
19-10-2009, 11:22 PM
We got terrific value out of Jose Romero - direct swap with Keenan Reynolds from memory. Libba was technically also a North discard by the time we got him.

Studentlib
19-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Did David Thorpe get to play in a premiership in his 3? years at Richmond in the 70s?

SPower
19-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah,
We had great service from Jose, Bernard Toohey was a hard nut , honest performer.
I was also shattered when we gave away Jim Edmond to Brissy. Jim was also tough with some of that white line fever.
While at Brisbane I remember he stiched up the "Real Thing" Russell Morris with a cruel fore arm and nearly killed him. The tribunal today would have given him a years holiday. - one of my all time favs with Stephen Power.

alwaysadog
19-10-2009, 11:44 PM

May have come second though.

alwaysadog
19-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Willo went to Melbourne and like Round and Quinlan won Charlie at other clubs.

Went to North first then on to the Dees where he won a Charlie.

alwaysadog
19-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah,
We had great service from Jose, Bernard Toohey was a hard nut , honest performer.
I was also shattered when we gave away Jim Edmond to Brissy. Jim was also tough with some of that white line fever.
While at Brisbane I remember he stiched up the "Real Thing" Russell Morris with a cruel fore arm and nearly killed him. The tribunal today would have given him a years holiday. - one of my all time favs with Stephen Power.

There's more versions of why Jim left us than I can count. He went fist to the Swans at the time they were waving big bucks. He had captained us to the prelim final in 1985 and then departed. He says he felt he wasn't wanted others say dollars talked. Fact is he went to Syd then on to Brissie. Was on our Board a few years ago, so it's all been fixed up I'd say..

The Coon Dog
19-10-2009, 11:58 PM
There's more versions of why Jim left us than I can count. He went fist to the Swans at the time they were waving big bucks. He had captained us to the prelim final in 1985 and then departed. He says he felt he wasn't wanted others say dollars talked. Fact is he went to Syd then on to Brissie. Was on our Board a few years ago, so it's all been fixed up I'd say..

Jim answers it quite well in his Legends & Larrikins (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3818) interview.

Dazza
20-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Your forgetting Simon Minton-Connell

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Did David Thorpe get to play in a premiership in his 3? years at Richmond in the 70s?

Yes he did, although I'm pretty sure he only lasted the one year and played about 14 games.

In the dying minutes of the grand final the runner came out to bring him off - no interchange back then - and he told the runner to bugger off because he wanted to be on the ground when the siren rang. I think Kevin Sheedy volunteered to come off instead so that the reserve player could say that he played.

Richmond back then weren't big on the individual putting himself first and Thorpe got his marching orders.

chef
20-10-2009, 08:06 AM
We got terrific value out of Jose Romero - direct swap with Keenan Reynolds from memory. Libba was technically also a North discard by the time we got him.

We got terrific value out of Jose and Simon Garlic after football too.

alwaysadog
20-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Jim answers it quite well in his Legends & Larrikins (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3818) interview.

Yes that is a really top notch interview and to some extent underlines my point about there being different versions when he says both sides would probably do it differently now.

FWIW I have long suspected that there were other internal tensions that undermined the side's progress going forward, and which may have contributed to Jim's departure and the Hardie dismissal, but I don't think anyone's going to go public at this late stage.

Twodogs
20-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes he did, although I'm pretty sure he only lasted the one year and played about 14 games.

In the dying minutes of the grand final the runner came out to bring him off - no interchange back then - and he told the runner to bugger off because he wanted to be on the ground when the siren rang. I think Kevin Sheedy volunteered to come off instead so that the reserve player could say that he played.

Richmond back then weren't big on the individual putting himself first and Thorpe got his marching orders.

Bones McGhie played in two at Richmomd though after getting the flick for an indiscretion on a footy trip in the early '70s.

Another one we lost even though he didnt go onto a successful VFL career was Freddy Cook. He won a Liston trophy at Yarraville and then kicked 1000+ goals for Port Melbourne despite being hooked on amphetamines for 15 years.

alwaysadog
20-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Your memory is pretty good, except that although the writing as they say, was on the wall, they kept him but he only put in a few games and then departed.

David Thorpe born 30 May 1948 185cm / 83 kg
Recruited from North Footscray
Career Total - 178 Games, 103 Goals
Footscray (1965-73) 151 games, 79 goals
Richmond (1974-76) 27 games, 24 goals
from Wikipedia

Had a spectacularly successful way of getting a transfer request granted, asked to speak to the board and then mercilessly bagged the coach. Later claimed a board member had put him up to it. Didn't know Graeme Richmond was ever on our board.