PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Demons, Richmond Tigers join Western Bulldogs in Darwin

BulldogBelle
19-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Darwin matches confirmed....

Melbourne Demons, Richmond Tigers join Western Bulldogs in Darwin (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,26229888-5016169,00.html)
The Courier Mail | Staff writer | October 19, 2009

RICHMOND and Melbourne will host games in Darwin along with the Western Bulldogs in a new deal announced today. The Northern Territory government announced Darwin would host 10 AFL matches over the next five years as part of an $8 million deal.

The Bulldogs, Melbourne and Richmond will rotate as the home side, with each club to host two matches over the three-year period.

Port Adelaide will be the away side in both Top End matches next year, and will most likely continue to make the trip north for the duration of the deal.

Click HERE (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,26229888-5016169,00.html) to read the remainder of the article...

aker39
19-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I am not very happy about this.

The Dogs have tried to get the AFL to schedule 2 games are year in Darwin for several years. The AFL has consistantly refused our request.

Now other clubs want to play in Darwin and they are happy to play 2 games a year.

Also, playing Port Adelaide as the away team in every game is going to negate the "home" ground advantage that we have. I know we have beaten Port easily the last couple of times. but they are going to get it right sooner or later.

LostDoggy
19-10-2009, 05:14 PM

The Dogs have tried to get the AFL to schedule 2 games are year in Darwin for several years. The AFL has consistantly refused our request.

Now other clubs want to play in Darwin and they are happy to play 2 games a year.

Also, playing Port Adelaide as the away team in every game is going to negate the "home" ground advantage that we have. I know we have beaten Port easily the last couple of times. but they are going to get it right sooner or later.

With you Aker, we have made some serious steps in Darwin towards gaining a support structure and community involvement. This move will undermine that work and give Port a serious advantage up there. A more equitable solution would have been for the second opposition team to be someone like Fremantle. All the more reason for us to look for answers in Melbourne.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2009, 05:22 PM
The Darwin experiement can now be labelled a complete waste of time and effort - boarderline failure if not for the cash. Why have us go up there and then undercut our efforts by bringing in other teams to dillute our ability to grow an AFL culture with a WBFC flavour?

I'm very disappointed. Imagine 3 other clubs dominating Tasmania over Hawthorn. This is double standard contemptuous behaviour towards the dogs. Standard AFL/VFL line of action against us.

I would prefer not to go at all now, nor Canberra. Skilled stadium versus Freo and Port would be far preferable to me.

Go_Dogs
19-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Skilled stadium versus Freo and Port would be far preferable to me.

Let's do a deal with SACA and bring a few home games to Adelaide!

LostDoggy
19-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Let's do a deal with SACA and bring a few home games to Adelaide!

Our home games? No thanks.
A neutral venue or nothing.

LostDoggy
19-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Our home games? No thanks.
A neutral venue or nothing.

Yes, being a resident of Adelaide I would love to be able to access more of our games here but not if it means giving away a home advantage to the crows or port. If it were a neutral team no problem but there is not much chance of that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Having to sacrifice home games to Darwin and Canberra comes back to a club that has continued to struggle financially. That is why increased memberships, i.e. 30,000 plus is so important. Maybe the Bulldogs Board might re-think this dilemma with the AFL's negotiating $100,000 for each home team, from 2010 at both at the Etihad and MCG stadiums.
There isn't any doubt that the Bulldogs compared to other Melbourne clubs are forced to play too many matches interstate to its disadvantage ultimately.

Sedat
19-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Way back in 2004, some of us on BF discussed the 2 games a season in Darwin concept in order to create a successful 'home away from home' concept. What we proposed wasn't exactly rocket science. Now the inroads we have made in this market will amount to little more than a grab for cash. Whether it's our fault or the AFL's for not allowing us to better cultivate that market, it has ended up being a significant opportunity essentially wasted.

BulldogBelle
19-10-2009, 07:41 PM
When l first heard about this l thought this was great for the Dogs. Two games a year in Darwin for the next 5 years. We would be able to build on the last 5 years and put us in a good financial postion.

BUT

After reading the finer details l see we have had Darwin RIPPED out from under us.
Port get's 2 away games a year while we get 1 home game a year and have to share it around with Melbourne and the tigers.

What a waste. There is no advantage to us playing in Darwin Now.

Cancel the deal.

chef
19-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I would prefer not to go at all now, nor Canberra. Skilled stadium versus Freo and Port would be far preferable to me.

Me too, this would be the perfect solution.

LostDoggy
19-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Not so much a home away from home now is it now that Port will play more games there then us.

Doc26
19-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Reminds me of the days North Melbourne forged out Friday night football, now they're lucky to be shown on free to air at all these days.

Hawthorn can establish a home away from home to secure their future. We on the other hand again get shafted by the AFL honchos as we endeavour to set ourselves to remain viable.

Remi Moses
19-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Can someone from the AFL please tell us why we were not allowed two games in Darwin yet they've now scheldued more games there! Mind boggling ,but not surprising:rolleyes::rolleyes: Memo Please don't give us some warm and fuzzy Port Adelaide affiliation with Darwin,it's utter tripe:eek::eek:

Prince Imperial
19-10-2009, 11:30 PM
The AFL no doubt wants to keep some matches in Canberra and I reckon will be directing us there over the next few years. It was reported last month that either us or the Saints will play Sydney there next year.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/saints-or-dogs-to-play-swans-at-manuka-next-year/1627867.aspx

I think that's a big reason why they kyboshed us on the NT. I will be very surprised if our request to play at Kardinia Park gets up.

FrediKanoute
20-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Can someone from the AFL please tell us why we were not allowed two games in Darwin yet they've now scheldued more games there! Mind boggling ,but not surprising:rolleyes::rolleyes: Memo Please don't give us some warm and fuzzy Port Adelaide affiliation with Darwin,it's utter tripe:eek::eek:

Darwin is for all in tents and purposes the "coffers" booster fixture. Is it any surprise that the 4 teams mooted to be playing there are all in financial difficulties/reliant on AFL assistance?

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Disgraceful, Adelaide media are all over the boost for Port Adelaide, one radio presenter was even saying they will be making money out of it. I hope they were wrong.

Go_Dogs
20-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Disgraceful, Adelaide media are all over the boost for Port Adelaide, one radio presenter was even saying they will be making money out of it. I hope they were wrong.

Apparently $50K per 'away' game in Darwin.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 11:46 AM
It's worse than that.

The article omits the fact that the AFL are playing Pt Adelaide $100,000 for each game as the AWAY side.

So, we go there after negotiating an arrangement with the NT Government on our own intiative without any help mfrom the AFL and now they actually pay Pt Adelaide to go there twice and limit us to one appearance each year.

The Pt Adelaide morons who run the club are talking about taking their community programs to the Territory thereby cutting a swathe through the work we have done over th past 3-4 years.

They talk of building memberships up there etc. and bulding a fortress.

We have been well and truly back-doored on this and we must not take it laying down. Our investment has just been wiped out.

comrade
20-10-2009, 12:29 PM
It's worse than that.

The article omits the fact that the AFL are playing Pt Adelaide $100,000 for each game as the AWAY side.

So, we go there after negotiating an arrangement with the NT Government on our own intiative without any help mfrom the AFL and now they actually pay Pt Adelaide to go there twice and limit us to one appearance each year.

The Pt Adelaide morons who run the club are talking about taking their community programs to the Territory thereby cutting a swathe through the work we have done over th past 3-4 years.

We have been well and truly back-doored on this and we must not take it laying down. Our investment has just been wiped out.

I agree, but did we fight hard enough to keep it ‘ours’?

Constantly searching for the next lucrative opportunity (we’ve been quoted as looking at both Geelong and Adelaide as alternative venues), and perhaps neglecting to cultivate a long term relationship with Darwin might have come back to bite us.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Constantly searching for the next lucrative opportunity (we’ve been quoted as looking at both Geelong and Adelaide as alternative venues), and perhaps neglecting to cultivate a long term relationship with Darwin might have come back to bite us.

This is what I've been thinking -- it's probably our own fault to a large extent.

Having said that, Port and the AFL are still bastards.

azabob
20-10-2009, 07:22 PM

This is what I've been thinking -- it's probably our own fault to a large extent.

Having said that, Port and the AFL are still bastards.

Wonder if we are upset with what has transpired? We have not vented our disapointment through the media, or isn't that our "style"?

Remi Moses
21-10-2009, 06:59 AM
It's worse than that.

Good news for Port they've still got Choco and Super Coach Rohde:eek: