PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Fixture - Snippets (Herald Sun)

BulldogBelle
19-10-2009, 11:36 PM
An article in The Herald Sun has mentioned the following...

* Dogs to play Geelong and St Kilda only once during the season - St Kilda early in the season and Geelong in Round 20
* Round 1 Dogs home game against Collingwood on a Sunday afternoon at Etihad ( Johnson's 350th game)
* Dogs to play Sydney twice once in Canberra and once in Sydney.
* For the first time the AFL will have a flexible fixture for Round 22, meaning the times and dates of games will not be set in stone

Click HERE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats-saints-to-meet-just-once/story-e6frf9jf-1225788495221) to read the remainder of the article...

LostDoggy
19-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Big crowd & big game for Johno, i like.

Dry Rot
20-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Excellent news!

BulldogBelle
20-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Excellent news!

I thought you would be pleased about that. :)

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Seems like a good draw for us but we'll have to wait and see on the official one first.

Anyone else find it very strange that Geelong, St. Kilda and The Dogs only play each other once? They're meant to be all for blockbuster games - Geelong v Dogs we had 3, the Saints/Dogs PF, Saints/Cats x2.

From an AFL point of view, it doesn't make sense.

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Why on earth would they schedule Collingwood to be Johnnos 350th?

Our home game against Collingwood will sell out anyway.

They could have made it against Richmond or North and turned a 30-35,000 crowd into a 35-40,000.

Instead they've turned a 47,000 crowd into a 47,500 crowd (a few extra on level 2).

Why don't we play our home games against Collingwood at the G anyway?

chef
20-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Excellent news for Johnno's game, what date is round 1?

aker39
20-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Excellent news for Johnno's game, what date is round 1?

The week before Easter, whatever date that is.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Seems like a good draw for us but we'll have to wait and see on the official one first.

Anyone else find it very strange that Geelong, St. Kilda and The Dogs only play each other once? They're meant to be all for blockbuster games - Geelong v Dogs we had 3, the Saints/Dogs PF, Saints/Cats x2.

From an AFL point of view, it doesn't make sense.

They're probably expecting all these teams to make the top four, and potentially two of them to make the grand final, which means that at a minimum these teams may end up playing each other three times next season (one H&A, one final, and the grannie).

They may be worried about over-exposure ie. four times may be overkill.

Just a theory. A draw should be random anyway.

Mantis
20-10-2009, 10:54 AM
So we played Collingwood in rd 22 in 2009 and now we play them in rd 1 in 2010.... Doesn't seem right. :confused:

bornadog
20-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Excatly, at the G we would get 70,000.

mighty_west
20-10-2009, 01:19 PM

They could have made it against Richmond or North and turned a 30-35,000 crowd into a 35-40,000.

Instead they've turned a 47,000 crowd into a 47,500 crowd (a few extra on level 2).

I have no issues with playing Collingwood round one, but should definatly been played at the G, all the factors should see this game a 70,000 - 80,000 strong crowd, first game, Collingwood, Barry Hall factor [i'm sure many will want to see his first game with the Dogs], Johnno's 350th..

What are the chances that the AFL have handed this game on a platter to Edihad for their new deal with the clubs, knowing that it will most likely be a sell out or close to?

jazzadogs
20-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Excatly, at the G we would get 70,000.
Especially strange considering we play home games against the Roos at the MCG. I really don't understand it.

Also agree re: Johnno's 350th v Collingwood, no point scheduling like that. Give us a lower placed club, seeing as the AFL love attendance figures so much.

aker39
20-10-2009, 01:35 PM
What are the chances that the AFL have handed this game on a platter to Edihad for their new deal with the clubs, knowing that it will most likely be a sell out or close to?

I think that has everything to do with it.

chef
20-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Especially strange considering we play home games against the Roos at the MCG. I really don't understand it.

Also agree re: Johnno's 350th v Collingwood, no point scheduling like that. Give us a lower placed club, seeing as the AFL love attendance figures so much.

We had that for his record breaking game and it was horrible(no atmosphere, small attendance and a shocking game of football). I'm glad it's against one of the big Victorian teams(packed house, great atmosphere and hopefully a cracking game of football).

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Big crowd & big game for Johno, i like.

Looking forward, I wonder where they'll end up playing Johnno's 400th game?

;)

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Looking forward, I wonder where they'll end up playing Johnno's 400th game?

;)

399th MCG 2011 Grand final.

400th Rnd 1 2012 GF Rematch

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Is that possible???

The Underdog
20-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Didn't Johnno play his club record setting game against Fremantle and we barely drew 15,000? I understand that Freo have bugger all supporters in this city but there certainly wasn't a huge turn out by Dogs supporters for the occasion. At least this guarantees a big crowd for him and it'll be our home game.
I agree that we should play Collingwood at the G but to be honest I'm glad we'll have a full house for Johnno this time.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Didn't Johnno play his club record setting game against Fremantle and we barely drew 15,000? I understand that Freo have bugger all supporters in this city but there certainly wasn't a huge turn out by Dogs supporters for the occasion. At least this guarantees a big crowd for him and it'll be our home game.
I agree that we should play Collingwood at the G but to be honest I'm glad we'll have a full house for Johnno this time.

Couldn't agree with you more. His 342nd game had no atmosphere - he's a champion and deserves better. Just glad the game's in Melbourne. :)

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Yep, and all we have to do is beat them now:)

azabob
20-10-2009, 07:04 PM
We had that for his record breaking game and it was horrible(no atmosphere, small attendance and a shocking game of football). I'm glad it's against one of the big Victorian teams(packed house, great atmosphere and hopefully a cracking game of football).

Couldn't agree with you more. His 342nd game had no atmosphere - he's a champion and deserves better. Just glad the game's in Melbourne. :)

True, but remember his 300th? Against Adelaide round one 2 years ago? That was a great game of footy and the atmosphere was amazing.
Either way as long as we win.

Topdog
20-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Well technically Adelaide are a lower placed club but we always have decent crowds against them.

hujsh
20-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Didn't Johnno play his club record setting game against Fremantle and we barely drew 15,000?

19,065 was the official figure here (http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl-issues/round-18-results/)

The Coon Dog
22-10-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Sunday games, including 4 twilight games (3 in Melb & 1 in Adel).

A bye after a Perth game, but not after a Darwin game.

Essendon in R22.

LostDoggy
22-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Essendon in R22.

I bloody hate twilight games!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

bornadog
22-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Essendon in R22.

We had such fantastic crowds in 2009. I hope Sunday doesn't kill it off. I also hate Sunday Twilight matches

hujsh
22-10-2009, 11:48 PM
We had such fantastic crowds in 2009. I hope Sunday doesn't kill it off. I also hate Sunday Twilight matches

They wouldn't be any more than we had in 09 would they? We always seem to get the Sunday games.

Hotdog60
22-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I hate Sunday Twilight games as well, they are never televised up north. I can see I'll have to stop feeding the kids and get foxtel.

Throughandthrough
23-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Essendon in R22.

Well the Sunday twilight game over here must be the Crows then, as we don't seem to have the pleasure of playing the Power in Adelaide anymore.

Melbourne Twilight games are brilliant if you live interstate and have Fox.

I wish the AFL would hurry up; i'm trying to schedule my necessary Perth work trips for next year!

1eyedog
23-10-2009, 09:13 PM
An article in The Herald Sun has mentioned the following...

* Dogs to play Geelong and St Kilda only once during the season - St Kilda early in the season and Geelong in Round 20
* Round 1 Dogs home game against Collingwood on a Sunday afternoon at Etihad ( Johnson's 350th game)
* For the first time the AFL will have a flexible fixture for Round 22, meaning the times and dates of games will not be set in stone

Click HERE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats-saints-to-meet-just-once/story-e6frf9jf-1225788495221) to read the remainder of the article...

What does this mean? Is Andrew playing Big Brother again? Seems a little odd that potential the most important round of the month is subject to alteration. Would the AFL look at pitting finals teams against each other for greater revenue? Seems like a weird system to me. Anybody got some information about it?

hujsh
23-10-2009, 09:21 PM
What does this mean? Is Andrew playing Big Brother again? Seems a little odd that potential the most important round of the month is subject to alteration. Would the AFL look at pitting finals teams against each other for greater revenue? Seems like a weird system to me. Anybody got some information about it?

They're not changing the actual matches just possible the times and dates.

The Coon Dog
23-10-2009, 09:31 PM

All they're doing is listing the 8 games, with dates/times to be determined. After the problems this season with Collingwood, St.Kilda & ourselves all playing on Sunday in R22, I think its a sensible move.

Those teams unlikely to feature in September are likely to play the Sunday games in R22.

1eyedog
24-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you people. I wasn't sure if the AFL was reserving the right to select who plays who in Round 22 which would be very odd.

Twodogs
24-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Dogs to play Sydney twice once in Canberra and once in Sydney.

Barry Hall factor?

G-Mo77
24-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Barry Hall factor?

Probably, but we did play them twice last year as well.

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Barry Hall factor?

One of the clowns who do the schedule came out and said they had to make late changes to take advantage of the Hall and Fevola trades.

alwaysadog
24-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Given that the AFL has said it will do everything it can to optimise attendances the location of this round game one is puzzling even by their own lofty standards in confusion.

As with most things to which either AFL wisdom or AFL consistency is applied the result makes no sense.

Ozza
26-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I must say - personally - I'm very happy we have heaps of Sunday and Night games. Saturday arvo is the only time I can't watch footy - and I suspect there a few more on this site in the same boat.

Axe Man
26-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I must say - personally - I'm very happy we have heaps of Sunday and Night games. Saturday arvo is the only time I can't watch footy - and I suspect there a few more on this site in the same boat.

Same here, playing footy on a Saturday arvo means I can't watch the doggies. Living in the country means I'm not a massive fan of the Sunday twilight games though.

G-Mo77
26-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Yep, I'm in the same boat. The only games I missed were the games played Interstate and Saturday arvo games. Fridays are tough due to work but that is what sickies are for. :D

BulldogBelle
26-10-2009, 04:41 PM
It doesn't worry me when we play - I plan accordingly and make sure I am there. I quite enjoy the Sunday games, leaves the Saturday free to do other things.

LostDoggy
26-10-2009, 04:55 PM
It doesn't worry me when we play - I plan accordingly and make sure I am there. I quite enjoy the Sunday games, leaves the Saturday free to do other things.
Same here, now that I don't work doesn't bother me, but hated Sunday games when I worked. I understand the like of Sunday games for those who play sport on Saturday. As I said I will be there whatever day, time, rain, hail or shine. It is a bit sad how I wait for the fixture to come out so I can plan the rest of my life around it. I never plan a holiday even a week after the grand final (might be a draw). When I think all those years I left free IN CASE we were in the finals, now it's more like WHEN we are in the finals.

bornadog
26-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Each year when the fixture comes out, I pull out the family diary and stick in the games, then the missus knows not to arrange anything for those days:D

LostDoggy
26-10-2009, 06:21 PM
My life revolves around the AFL fixture & also the NRL fixture, although that's more painful. Although we know which team we're playing, and if it's home or away, we don't know until 4 - 6 weeks before the game which day & time it's actually being played. Good old Channel 9 (sarcasm in case you didn't pick up on it) determine that. Wish it was like the AFL fixture so I could plan my year in advance!! :D

LostDoggy
26-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Because the club knows I like my front row seat at Etihad for our home games! :D Its bad enough losing a few to interstate as it is, replacement games don't guarantee replacement front row seats and home games at the MCG don't either. :(

BulldogBelle
26-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Each year when the fixture comes out, I pull out the family diary and stick in the games, then the missus knows not to arrange anything for those days:D

I do the same but......

I have two close family weddings to attend which are happening in June next year (consecutive weeks) I am waiting to see the draw on Friday to see which days our matches fall on. :eek: Unfortunately, in this instance I can't plan around the weddings.

LostDoggy
27-10-2009, 09:03 AM
An article in The Age on Brendan Gale and Richmond's draw, comments at the end that the Bulldogs will be rewarded with their consistency with 5 Friday Night games:) Great opportunity to get our brand our their across Australia.

aker39
27-10-2009, 09:29 AM
The article also says we will be playing Richmond on Easter Sunday at the G as an away game.

LostDoggy
27-10-2009, 09:47 AM
What we know
Round 1 home game against Collingwood at Ethiad
Two games against Sydney (Sydney and Canberra)
5 Friday night games
Only one game each against St Kilda and Geelong

Likely but TBC
A home game against Richmond
An away game against Collingwood
A Darwin game againsst Port Adelaide
Possibly one game in WA and another in SA

Mantis
27-10-2009, 09:51 AM
What we know
5 Friday night games
10 Sunday games including 4 twilight games (one in Adel) - TCD

Likely but TBC

Edited.

chef
27-10-2009, 10:15 AM
What we know
5 Friday night games

Likely but TBC

The only top four side the Tigers play twice is St.Kilda.

soupman
28-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Me too. If I'm playing reserves I can usually make it if I rush but even then I only make it in time for the end of the 2nd quarter/half time. The last two matches I did it for were the West Coast one (I rocked up and we were 0.11 halfway through the 2nd quarter) and the Freo one (I rocked up at halftime and sat through the most boring second half of the year. I've only been to one game that has been more boring and that was against Melbourne last year).

Ozza
28-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Me too. If I'm playing reserves I can usually make it if I rush but even then I only make it in time for the end of the 2nd quarter/half time. The last two matches I did it for were the West Coast one (I rocked up and we were 0.11 halfway through the 2nd quarter) and the Freo one (I rocked up at halftime and sat through the most boring second half of the year. I've only been to one game that has been more boring and that was against Melbourne last year).

At least you missed the most frustrating 50 minutes of football you are ever likely to be subjected to!!

Personally whilst my ideal time is Sunday arvo at 2 - I'm not too fussed about Twilight games. Sure its not as good as a 2pm game - but there's not much going on on a Sunday between 5 & 8 anyways!

bornadog
28-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I do the same but......

I have two close family weddings to attend which are happening in June next year (consecutive weeks) I am waiting to see the draw on Friday to see which days our matches fall on. :eek: Unfortunately, in this instance I can't plan around the weddings.

Having said that, Easter time my daughter will once more compete in the Australian Kayak Marathon Championships, in Adelaide next year, so we will head over.

BulldogBelle
28-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Having said that, Easter time my daughter will once more compete in the Australian Kayak Marathon Championships, in Adelaide next year, so we will head over.

Good luck with that BAD, your daughter will appreciate the support no doubt.

We live by the fixture and we die by the fixture. ;)

LostDoggy
29-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, according to the paper today there'll be 6 Monday/Thursday night games next year. Even worse than Sunday twilight games!! I think the AFL are thinking about TV ratings rather than the supporters who actually attend the games. What part of country supporters having to travel, people having to work, students having to go to school or young children having to go to bed don't they understand? :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
29-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, according to the paper today there'll be 6 Monday/Thursday night games next year. Even worse than Sunday twilight games!! I think the AFL are thinking about TV ratings rather than the supporters who actually attend the games. What part of country supporters having to travel, people having to work, students having to go to school or young children having to go to bed don't they understand? :rolleyes:

Your first mistake is that you think that the AFL would care about anything other than itself.
Your second mistake is thinking that they have the ability to understand anything.

This is why I don't go to the games very often. It just does not fit in with our lives.