PDA

View Full Version : Making 2010 GF a must for Dogs: Eade

Hotdog60
23-10-2009, 09:34 AM
RODNEY Eade expects the Western Bulldogs to make the grand final in 2010 after falling one game short in both 2008 and 2009.

The Bulldogs have already secured the services of power forward Barry Hall and have re-signed another key pillar in defender Brian Lake.

Eade said even without the arrival of Hall, he believed his side would be expected to make next year's decider after their brave preliminary final loss to St Kilda in September.

"To finish like we did this year, the expectation, and certainly the internal expectation, is that we'll make the grand final at least [next year]," Eade told afl.com.au.

The Dogs were beaten by just seven points in the thrilling preliminary final, just 12 months after losing last year's prelim by 29 points to Geelong.

Eade said his players headed off on their annual break with a different sense of hurt this time around, having believed they were capable of winning through to the deciding game.

"Last year it was more they realised how close they were after the game, and this year, they realised that before the game and that's why it has hurt them more," he said.

"There's a different mindset. They knew they were good enough this time, and they know they're not far away.

"It's certainly hurt them. They were certainly stung by the loss because they did work extremely hard. I've got no doubt it will strengthen their resolve again to take that next step."

The Bulldogs will commence their pre-season training on Monday 23 November.

More here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86285/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
23-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Making every GF is a must for the Bulldogs. No single year is different.

comrade
23-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Eade says the Dogs' Bill Davoren-led program, which will focus more on individual-based training this year, will signal the start of their 2010 premiership campaign.

Best part of the article, IMO.

comrade
23-10-2009, 09:57 AM

What's with the signature?

LostDoggy
23-10-2009, 10:03 AM

I think Easton will become an integral part of our side. Just trying to making the call early. Reminds me of Gilbee and i hope he'll blossom.

comrade
23-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I think Easton will become an integral part of our side. Just trying to making the call early. Reminds me of Gilbee and i hope he'll blossom.

Oh, that's fine. With the angry face I thought it was more insidious.

The Coon Dog
23-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh, that's fine. With the angry face I thought it was more insidious.

Yeah, I thought that too.

Axe Man
23-10-2009, 11:24 AM
The bit that interests me is this:

Eade said just Reid and Tiller would be unable to complete the bulk of the pre-Christmas training, but expected everyone to be "right to go and available to play" in early to mid-February.

I was worried that with the number of players that underwent surgery that we could end up with quite a few having limited pre seasons, which in turn leads to slow starts to the year, ala Cooney this year (and 2007). It's pleasing to know that almost everyone should be fully fit come round 1.

Mantis
23-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Best part of the article, IMO.

I hope we see that same statement for many years to come.

Doc26
23-10-2009, 12:12 PM
RODNEY Eade expects the Western Bulldogs to make the grand final in 2010 after falling one game short in both 2008 and 2009.

But of course there are at least four clubs expecting the same thing in 2010. Hopefully our expectation trumps theirs and post '98 is not in any way revisited.

LostDoggy
23-10-2009, 12:51 PM
But of course there are at least four clubs expecting the same thing in 2010. Hopefully our expectation trumps theirs and post '98 is not in any way revisited.

The difference with 98 is that the curve is the other way round this time -- 98 we were further away than 97, so the curve was already downwards. This time, 09 was definitely better than 08, so the curve is upwards, and the team is also still in its prime (and developing!).

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. The downside is that Johnno, Aker, Eagleton and Hudson will not be any quicker or better. Still a question mark surrounds Barry Hall. Centre half back is still a worry given Tom Williams history. The game revolves around the midfield. That is why Cooney, Griffen, Boyd and Cross all up and running is critical given the strength of Geelong who are the pacesetters in the midfield. The improvement of Higgins, Ward and Picken plus the possibility of a couple of other youngsters in Wood, Roughhead and Boumann taking the next step is important in being able to put pressure on the older players.

Hotdog60
23-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. The downside is that Johnno, Aker, Eagleton and Hudson will not be any quicker or better. Still a question mark surrounds Barry Hall. Centre half back is still a worry given Tom Williams history. The game revolves around the midfield. That is why Cooney, Griffen, Boyd and Cross all up and running is critical given the strength of Geelong who are the pacesetters in the midfield. The improvement of Higgins, Ward and Picken plus the possibility of a couple of other youngsters in Wood, Roughhead and Boumann taking the next step is important in being able to put pressure on the older players.

Speaking on centre half back, I'll throw this one out there.

Now that B. Hall is in the forward line could big Will play the Scott Wynd role and float back in defense and become another tall option in defense to block the taller opposition forwards. Marking isn't so much a key if Will can punch it to our advantage.

MrMahatma
23-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Gutted about Reid though. I've loved what I've seen of him in 09 and hope he recovers and gets some miles into the legs over summer - I think he could be a really good player.

Remi Moses
24-10-2009, 03:36 AM
just stating the obvious I'd think. After 2 Prelims we expect to make the last dance.

LostDoggy
24-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Woohoo they start preseason the day after i get back form overseas......Yay ill sleep all day Sunday when i get back, then head to training on the Monday.....im sure if its a closed session they will open it jsut for me...hahahahaha.....

LostDoggy
24-10-2009, 08:58 AM
WIth the coach making this statement so early, would this put extra pressure on the player?
There are a dozen or so players having operations, and can not do a full pre season.

But this article does bring a little excitment for me though.

Bring on 2010 season.

GVGjr
24-10-2009, 09:04 AM
just stating the obvious I'd think. After 2 Prelims we expect to make the last dance.

I think anything less will be a letdown. We have proven we can match it with the other top sides so now with Hall and a steady list it's over to Eade and the players to take another step.

Mantis
24-10-2009, 09:23 AM
WIth the coach making this statement so early, would this put extra pressure on the player?
There are a dozen or so players having operations, and can not do a full pre season.

But this article does bring a little excitment for me though.

Bring on 2010 season.

You would find that the number of players at most clubs who are having some sort of surgery or another would hit double figures.

Reid & Tiller are the only ones who will have extended breaks and they aren't members of our best 22 as yet, although I expect Reid to become one by the end of the 2010 season.

azabob
24-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I think anything less will be a letdown. We have proven we can match it with the other top sides so now with Hall and a steady list it's over to Eade and the players to take another step.

Hopefully the players dont think (like 2007) that now we have Hall everything will fall into place and they drop off training intensity etc and fall back into the pack.

GVGjr
24-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Hopefully the players dont think (like 2007) that now we have Hall everything will fall into place and they drop off training intensity etc and fall back into the pack.

No chance of that. We have a mature list who realise that their chances of getting into the grand final depend on them playing at their best. There's plenty of incentives for them to attack the season very positively

KT31
25-10-2009, 12:18 AM
No chance of that. We have a mature list who realise that their chances of getting into the grand final depend on them playing at their best. There's plenty of incentives for them to attack the season very positively

Little bit of an understatement.:D

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2009, 06:02 PM

That said, there is so much room for improvement on 2009

And we really shouldn't get carried away with where we are at: sure we played well in the last 3 weeks of the home and away season as well as the 2nd final and the prelim.

We showed we could play at a high level, but really we were not able to do that often enough.

We had too many games where we were very poor and have a fair gap to close in terms of playing at a high intensity week in, week out

Whilst it might be considered to be stating the obvious I think there are big question marks over us in 2010 to get where we want to go

GVGjr
25-10-2009, 06:26 PM
That said, there is so much room for improvement on 2009

And we really shouldn't get carried away with where we are at: sure we played well in the last 3 weeks of the home and away season as well as the 2nd final and the prelim.

We showed we could play at a high level, but really we were not able to do that often enough.

We had too many games where we were very poor and have a fair gap to close in terms of playing at a high intensity week in, week out

Whilst it might be considered to be stating the obvious I think there are big question marks over us in 2010 to get where we want to go

I was reading some analysis of our list the other day and the amount of players not expected to perform at last years level was daunting. It's up to the likes of Hill, Ward, Stack, Harbrow, Griffen, Higgins, Minson, Murphy and Cooney to really step it up.
Johnson, Akermanis, Eagleton and Hudson need the others contributing more than previous seasons.

Player management through the 2010 season becomes an important task for Eade. Last year we planned to rest Johnson and Akermanis at various stages but for some reason didn't. (Aker missed some time by being reported though)

I suppose how much Hall brings us is one of the keys. He won't be able to carry the side but a 2 or 3 goal a game return most weeks will be a great help for us.

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I was reading some analysis of our list the other day and the amount of players not expected to perform at last years level was daunting. It's up to the likes of Hill, Ward, Stack, Harbrow, Griffen, Higgins, Minson, Murphy and Cooney to really step it up.
Johnson, Akermanis, Eagleton and Hudson need the others contributing more than previous seasons.

Player management through the 2010 season becomes an important task for Eade. Last year we planned to rest Johnson and Akermanis at various stages but for some reason didn't. (Aker missed some time by being reported though)

I suppose how much Hall brings us is one of the keys. He won't be able to carry the side but a 2 or 3 goal a game return most weeks will be a great help for us.

I think you have hit the nail on the head identifying the guys we need to improve. I have Griffen at number 1 on that list, with Murphy, Cooney and Higgins forming an important quartet in terms of us getting to the promised land.

I was hoping that Eade would be able to rest a few more in 09, but the poor start (3 & 3 but ordinary form against Rich & North) and the pressure of needing to win the last 3 for the double chance.

I want to see our regular season form improve so that we can rest senior players when needed and blood more kids. Maybe thats an unrealistic goal, but I think we need to take more the approach Geelong took in 2010 in being very cautious with players. To be able to do this we need our best players fit and firing (Murphy and Cooney are vital)

Twodogs
26-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Can you do me a favour and change it to the correct tense as well please? Usually it doesnt bother me but for some reason 'be' instead of 'been' stands out like dog's balls!

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-10-2009, 04:24 PM

The key to our success in 2010 will again be in our midfield, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Higgins and Ward who all need to stand up to the rigors of the likes of Geelong's Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Ling, Corey and Kelly.Let's face it the Cats are the benchmark. This is where the games are won or lost. Tardy starts like season 2009, where we were often down by 2,3 and 4 goals at quarter time will not be good enough.

LostDoggy
26-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I think you have hit the nail on the head identifying the guys we need to improve. I have Griffen at number 1 on that list, with Murphy, Cooney and Higgins forming an important quartet in terms of us getting to the promised land.

I was hoping that Eade would be able to rest a few more in 09, but the poor start (3 & 3 but ordinary form against Rich & North) and the pressure of needing to win the last 3 for the double chance.

I want to see our regular season form improve so that we can rest senior players when needed and blood more kids. Maybe thats an unrealistic goal, but I think we need to take more the approach Geelong took in 2010 in being very cautious with players. To be able to do this we need our best players fit and firing (Murphy and Cooney are vital)

BR, think you meant Geelong's year in 2009.

Bulldog Revolution
27-10-2009, 12:45 PM
BR, think you meant Geelong's year in 2009.

Correct

Getting carried away with the years

Basically we need to be able to more consistently produce our 'A' game

alwaysadog
27-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Basically we need to be able to more consistently produce our 'A' game

Yes, the idea of focussing on an end point can take attention away from the means needed to get there.

At this stage I'm not convinced a GF is what we should be focussing on. We were pretty poor at times in 2009 although at others we showed a capacity to match the best over a number of weeks.

Unless we focus on playing at that level consistently talk of a GF IMHO is meaningless. Some would argue we went close this year, but we didn't have the necessary base and it showed when push came to shove.

Mantis
27-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Unless we focus on playing at that level consistently talk of a GF IMHO is meaningless. Some would argue we went close this year, but we didn't have the necessary base and it showed when push came to shove.

What showed?

alwaysadog
28-10-2009, 12:14 AM
What showed?

That we couldn't get over the line when even when we played better than the opposition.

The Doctor
28-10-2009, 06:00 AM

I'd like to agree with you but can't. The semi final against Geelong was that chance and several senior players didn't take it.

While I remain optimistic about our prospect in 2010 we will need more than this. The senior group have shown they can get us to prelims. What will be the difference that can get us to the Granny? It has to come from somewhere else within the group I think.

Mantis
28-10-2009, 08:31 AM
That we couldn't get over the line when even when we played better than the opposition.

Not sure how you can attribute poor conversion & being on the rough end of some pretty poor umpiring to our team not having a solid base laid down.

In many respects and bar the West Coast game late in the season (which probably was the kick in the pants we needed in retrospect) we went into the finals with as solid a foundation as any other side that realistically had a chance at winning the GF (the top 4 teams)

OLD SCRAGGer
28-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, the idea of focussing on an end point can take attention away from the means needed to get there.

At this stage I'm not convinced a GF is what we should be focussing on. We were pretty poor at times in 2009 although at others we showed a capacity to match the best over a number of weeks.

And so the NEGATIVITY has started and it's only OCTOBER:eek:

Have a bit of FAITH for goodness sake:)

hujsh
28-10-2009, 04:50 PM
And so the NEGATIVITY has started and it's only OCTOBER:eek:

Have a bit of FAITH for goodness sake:)

I don't see how calls to improve can be construed as negative. Not that different to what Eade has said.