PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Drafts

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I thought I might get a thread going so that we can post our phantom drafts. Might make for some interesting discussion, and it's something we can reflect upon after the draft has taken place. It'll be interesting to see who gets closest. I am not the most informed guy going around, but I've taken a shot at it by reading various reports and looking at several videos. Post yours - it's a bit of fun. I might do a second round later on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Round

Pick 1 – Melbourne – Tom Scully (MID)

He has been touted as the most likely number one pick for a while. Melbourne are desperate for quality midfielders so adding Scully will definitely boost their stocks.

Pick 2 – Melbourne – Jack Trengrove (MID/HFF)

Again, Trengrove has been linked to Melbourne at pick 2 for some time. He might be taken with their first pick to take a little pressure off Scully, but they’re both quality players and so I think they’ll stick with the original plan. Ready made.

Pick 3 – Richmond – Dustin Martin (MID/F)

Tigers have a few pressing needs but they should go best available with this pick. Butcher would be handy but he’s sliding by all reports and it’d be hard to pass on Martin. Very good skills, plays inside and out, moves pretty quick over the first few steps. Deledio really needs support and a fit Cotchin & Martin provides this.

Pick 4 – Fremantle – Anthony Morabito (MID)

At 190cm he’s a pretty big midfielder. The vision I’ve seen makes him look a pretty good prospect. He’s a good mark, quick and versatile. Many people are comparing him to Goodes. Freo need to keep taking the best available at this stage and Morabito appears that way.

Pick 5 – North Melbourne – Gary Rohan (MID/F)

North have a few needs much like the clubs above them, but they should address their midfield first. Swallow is a good in and under player but they really haven’t got too many players to give it to. They need something different to Ziebell and I think Rohan is it. Genuine X factor, strong hands, very quick, great defensive pressure and is always on the move. I really like the look of him.

Pick 6 – Sydney – Ben Cunnington (MID/F)

I suspect Sydney will take the next best midfielder. They have a few young KP’s (White & Lewis) but not enough midfield stars coming through. Cunnington does most things well and is pretty hard at it which suits Sydney’s style.

Pick 7 – West Coast – Lewis Jetta (MID/HFF)

Really wish Jetta would slide to our pick because he’s exciting to watch. However, West Coast have stated they need crumbers and Jetta fills this requirement. He compliments their side well because he’s a classy midfielder with X factor. He’ll fit in well with the likes of Kerr, Selwoods and Masten. Plus – he’s a WA boy.

Pick 8 – Port Adelaide – Kane Lucas (MID/HFF)

His foot skills are sublime. The loss of Burgoyne makes sense here. His skills either side of his body are great. I could see him going earlier than this but if available it’s hard to see him slide past here. He’s a really smart player too.

Pick 9 – Port Adelaide – John Butcher (KPF)

Many have Butcher sliding past here, but I think he looks a good prospect. He moves very well for a KPF and takes strong contested marks. Along with his leap and ability at ground level, he could be a handful at AFL level. Even though he has apparently dropped down the order, IMO it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him picked up much earlier. Only thing is, the above clubs aren’t desperate for a KPF. North will be tempted but they have a few options. However, Port don’t have a lot. They need a replacement for Tredrea badly.

Pick 10 – Essendon – Luke Tapscott (F/MID)

I’ve seen him heading to Port Adelaide in most phantom drafts. Considering he’s from SA, it’s probably always a good chance. I thought I’d try something different though. He’s an extremely good disposer of the ball by foot, big bodied and kicks it a mile. Essendon are desperate for class and if available he shouldn’t slip past here.

Pick 11 – Melbourne – Aaron Black (KPF)

They will be disappointed Butcher isn’t available. The midfield is looking good with Scully, Trengrove, Morton, Jones, Maloney and Sylvia. They will be looking to boost their forward half in some capacity. Considered Carlisle but they already have Watts who is raw and plays a little similar. Black was super impressive by all reports for the Thunder this year (mjp I am looking at you) and should fit in well.

Pick 12 – Carlton – Jake Carlisle (KPF)

Their midfield is set and I think their back half is very good too. Talia might be considered but I think they need to address their forward problems. Carlisle will take a while to develop but he has a good set of tools. Their list is young so he has the time on his side. He plays/moves a little like Waite IMO.

Pick 13 – Adelaide – Bradley Sheppard (HBF/BP)

Adelaide’s list is looking very good but with McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards with only one year left they need to find a replacement or two. Sheppard is a smart player and cleans up pretty well. He’s a good user of the ball and is the perfect fit for Adelaide, which is probably why so many have him going there. If he slides, I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Dogs take him.

Pick 14 – Sydney – Daniel Talia (KPD)

Talia could go earlier but it’s highly unlikely he’ll slip past here. Sydney don’t have too many KPD’s. With Leo O’Barry retiring, it’s a must. Talia looks like a really good player and we’ll be kicking ourselves Sydney have the pick before us.

Pick 15 – Western Bulldogs – Jake Melksham (MID)

Strongly considered Colyer and Moore who would probably fill more of a role for us. Colyer is a very quick small forward/midfielder which would suit us very well. He’d replace Aker nicely, whilst Moore is a utility that could give us drive from the back half. However – I am going to play it safe and pick Melksham who has plenty of ability and talent to work with. Melksham is a bit of a ball magnet and loves to take the game on. He carries the football regularly and is very good around the stoppages. The fact that he can play inside and outside will be very attractive to us and IMO persuade us to draft him. He would be able to replace Eagleton and has a bit of toe, too.

Pick 16 – Port Adelaide – Andrew Moore (Utility)

Port Adelaide will probably go with best available at this stage. After drafting a quality midfielder who can push forward and a KPF, I’ve gone with Moore. He’s a utility type who can provide some drive off half back which they probably need with the loss of both Burgoynes. Capable of pushing forward too which would appeal to them.

Pick 17 – Geelong – Ryan Bastinac (MID/F)

He’s a pretty clever player who I rate. He’s very good at ground level and is pretty evasive. Skills are pretty good and always looks dangerous, be it in the midfield or up forward. He could fit in nicely at Geelong IMO. That being said, it’s hard to tell what Geelong might be after.

LostDoggy
24-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Don't know a lot of about these young guys, so this thread will be great viewing.

Good write up also, TBB.

Doc26
24-10-2009, 11:30 PM
A very good write up TBB. Would be happy with Melksham if he fell through at 15. So many ifs, buts etc Assuming we didn't pick up a midfielder type in the first round would we consider Alex Carey if he fell to us as more than likely a late second rounder ?

KT31
24-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Great write up TBB.
Not knowing much about the kids in the draft this thread will be handy.
Not to sure we should pick up a mid, IMO if their is a kpf or kpp with a bit of height available we should select him.
Although who Rodney judges as the best player available at our pick no matter what position might be the go.

Remi Moses
25-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Great work TBB. Just wondering in a perceived weak draft would we use our second round on a recycled player?

hujsh
25-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Great work TBB. Just wondering in a perceived weak draft would we use our second round on a recycled player?

Is there anyone we wouldn't be able to get in a later round or PSD for us to consider using it on?

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2009, 02:07 AM
A very good write up TBB. Would be happy with Melksham if he fell through at 15. So many ifs, buts etc Assuming we didn't pick up a midfielder type in the first round would we consider Alex Carey if he fell to us as more than likely a late second rounder ?

Quite possibly but he plays as more of an inside midfielder which is probably something we're well covered for. However, I personally think Carey could develop into a fine player. He is very smart around the packs and always seems to get to the ball/find a way getting it out. The thing I like about him most is his decision making and kicking. It's exceptional and that can never be taught. Not sure he's overly quick though and so the pace of AFL might show him up. To his credit, he does seem to have a little more time with the ball when he finds it so perhaps this is more of a reflection on his playing style.

As we're in the market for running midfielders, small/medium forwards - I doubt we'll have Carey in our considerations. But you never know.

Great write up TBB.
Not knowing much about the kids in the draft this thread will be handy.
Not to sure we should pick up a mid, IMO if their is a kpf or kpp with a bit of height available we should select him.
Although who Rodney judges as the best player available at our pick no matter what position might be the go.

It's funny, I spent more time on The Dogs pick than anyone else and purely because I wasn't 100% on taking Melksham. With getting Wallis/Libba next year, it makes this draft very interesting and especially our first pick. I think Colyer would be a good option as a FP/pushing into the midfield but Pick 15 is perhaps too early of a punt. Melksham is more of a safe bet, even if he is a genuine midfielder only. Talia, Black and Butcher would perhaps be in our sights but I can't see them lasting to our pick. I'm not really a fan of Panos. Sheppard would be my pick but I had him going earlier. Made it very difficult.

It's going to be a tough decision. Do we take the best available or a needs based player?

ledge
25-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I think we are in very good nick for the next 2 years so i would say we look at players who will retire after 2 years at the club and what kind of player they are that we need to fill in for in 3 years time.

No good taking the best player available if we have many of the same type that will be around at the same time.

This is a future draft not one we need to fill holes with now.

The other way to look at it is to maybe draft the best player available but then trade him off for what we need when the time comes.

strebla
25-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Not sure I agree tottaly Ledge I think the only thing we have a lot of are inside mids so apart from that I would go with the best available>

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Quite possibly but he plays as more of an inside midfielder which is probably something we're well covered for. However, I personally think Carey could develop into a fine player. He is very smart around the packs and always seems to get to the ball/find a way getting it out. The thing I like about him most is his decision making and kicking. It's exceptional and that can never be taught. Not sure he's overly quick though and so the pace of AFL might show him up. To his credit, he does seem to have a little more time with the ball when he finds it so perhaps this is more of a reflection on his playing style.

As we're in the market for running midfielders, small/medium forwards - I doubt we'll have Carey in our considerations. But you never know.

I thought Carey played really well the day I saw him but I couldn't help thinking 'Dylan Smith' - the kid Noth took a few years back at pick 6 who ended up playing about 10 games.

I would be really concerned about his lack of pace.

It's funny, I spent more time on The Dogs pick than anyone else and purely because I wasn't 100% on taking Melksham. With getting Wallis/Libba next year, it makes this draft very interesting and especially our first pick. I think Colyer would be a good option as a FP/pushing into the midfield but Pick 15 is perhaps too early of a punt. Melksham is more of a safe bet, even if he is a genuine midfielder only. Talia, Black and Butcher would perhaps be in our sights but I can't see them lasting to our pick. I'm not really a fan of Panos. Sheppard would be my pick but I had him going earlier. Made it very difficult.

It's going to be a tough decision. Do we take the best available or a needs based player?

I doubt Melksham will last to pick 15 but if he does I'm sure we would be all over him.

Sheppard kicks like Sam Power - little 20m lobs - and taking him with a 1st rounder would worry the hell out of me.

LostDoggy
25-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Black or Talia for me - there is always a smokey that gets picked up early, so we can only hope that it falls to our advantage. Richmond's recruiting is usually suspect so it might be them:D

Scorlibo
25-10-2009, 01:11 PM
What separates this draft (I think this has been mentioned before) from others in quality is that there are very few players who don't have glaring defficiencies in their game. For example,

Morabito - awareness can be dreadful.
Rohan - can he ever be more than a Dale Thomas? Unlikely.
Jetta - mature age + can he adapt to a new environment?
Butcher - kicking is shocking, doesn't get involved enough.
Tapscott - overdeveloped, kicking not as good as everyone makes it out to be.
Black - haven't seen him play, can't comment.
Carlisle - doesn't do enough, often enough. Relatively new to high level footy so perhaps can be excused.
Shephard - kicking can be quite up and under as Sockeye mentioned.

I think because of his great all round game, Bastinac could be the top ten bolter this year. Jake Melksham should similarly go early.

GVGjr
25-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Carlisle - doesn't do enough, often enough. Relatively new to high level footy so perhaps can be excused.

I don't mind Carlisle and I think long term he could be a good versatile tall utility. He's got a lot to learn but I can see clubs being very interested in him.

Scorlibo
25-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't mind Carlisle and I think long term he could be a good versatile tall utility. He's got a lot to learn but I can see clubs being very interested in him.

As can I, but there's an undeniable element of risk with him and the others I mentioned which one mightn't have seen in previous years' first rounds. The more I look at this draft the more I think it will be a 2003-peat.