8. Sydney - Sat May 15 - 2.10pm - Manuka
9. North Melbourne - Sat May 22 - 2.10pm - ES
10. Esssendon - Fri May 28 - 7.40pm - ES
11. Collingwood - Sun June 6 - 4.40pm - ES
12. BL - Sun June 13 - 2.10pm - ES
13. WCE - Sun June 20 - 2.40pm - Sub
14. Hawthorn - Fri July 2 - 7.40pm - MCG
15. Carlton - Sun July 11 - 4.40pm - ES
16. Port - Sat July 17 - 7.10pm - TIO (Darwin)
17. Fremantle - Sun July 25 - 1.10pm - ES
18. North Melbourne - Sun Aug 1 - 2.10pm - ES
19. Adelaide - Sun Aug 8 - 4.10pm - AAMI
20. Geelong - Sat Aug 14 - 7.10pm - ES
21. Sydney - Sat Aug 21 - 7.10pm - SCG
22. Essendon - TBA - ES

aker39
30-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Key Points
-Round 1 home game against Collingwood (Brad Johnsons 350th AFL game)
-5 Friday night games: 2 HOME games (Adelaide and St Kilda), 3 AWAY
-HOME games in Darwin and Canberra
-Only 1 interstate game in the first 7 rounds
-4 out of the first 6 games HOME matches
-Only 1 trip to Western Australia
-6 Interstate games
-Round 22 match in Melbourne
-Minimum of 13 matches broadcast on free to air television

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Teams played twice are :
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
Adelaide
Brisbane
Sydney
North

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Pretty good draw i think:) Only play the saints once and don't play Geelong until rnd 20!!

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Excited to see some big news like the draw..and pretty happy with the outcome..

Besides 2 interstate games in the last month (it was always gunna be start or end of season)

Anyone find anything bad? Good to see 2 games against Coll & Ess big drawing crowds..

lemmon
30-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Happy with the fixture, I've only had a quick look but I think we did fairly well.

aker39
30-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Anyone find anything bad?

The only negative I can find is 3 interstate games in 6 weeks from rounds 16 to 21.

I'd prefer to play them early in the year, or more evenly spread out.

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 01:04 PM
YOU BLOODY BEAUTY!!!!!!! :D

Round 8 V Sydney in Canberra is the same weekend that Melbourne Storm play Canberra Raiders in Canberra.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!! :D

Sedat
30-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I've never really understood the angst and hyperbole in relation to the fixture. It is what it is - 16 simply doesn't go into 22, and rightly or wrongly, the AFL places financial incentives front and centre before everything else when it comes to the fixture.

Having a quick look, we seem to have had a tougher fixture in 2009 by comparison (travel and multiple matches against top 4 teams) and it ultimately stood us in pretty good stead for the higher intensity of finals football. As with 2009, there are a couple of fairly sharp tests leading into the finals which is probably a good thing.

aker39
30-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I've never really understood the angst and hyperbole in relation to the fixture. It is what it is - 16 simply doesn't go into 22.

That's exactly why there is angst and hyperbole, because 16 doesn't go in to 22.

If it was 30 rounds then there wouldn't be so much angst or hyperbole. You'd know you are playing each other team twice, every Victorian team would travel the same amount of times, and the draw would be fair.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Only real fault I can see from a supporters perspective is the long stretch with only one home game in Melbourne.

From rounds 7 - 16 (10 rounds) we play Brisbane at Etihad, the rest are away games in Melb or interstate or home games interstate.

7 - Melb (a)
8 - Syd (Canberra)
9 - North (a)
10 - Ess (a)
11 - Coll (a)
12 - Bris (h)
13 - WCE(Perth)
14 - Haw (a)
15 - Carl (a)
16 - PA (Darwin)

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Sorry, in my excitement I forgot to say THANKS MANTIS for putting the draw on WOOF so quickly!! :)

bornadog
30-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Any one know where to download the excel version?

aker39
30-10-2009, 02:38 PM

I've been looking all day. I don't think one exists yet.

Sedat
30-10-2009, 02:52 PM
That's exactly why there is angst and hyperbole, because 16 doesn't go in to 22.
I understand the inequities that exist - I just don't understand the reactions that accompany it. We've had some level of inequity since the 14 team competition commenced in 1987 - you'd think we'd all be well prepared for it now after 24 seasons.

I remember our club trumpeting about how good our 1996 fixture was when it was announced at the time - that season sure ended up well. We played the other 3 fellow top 4 teams 6 times in 2009 and still finished top 4. We travelled everywhere except the moon in 2008 and still finished top 4. We'll manage whatever the fixture throws up.

There is a pdf version of the fixture - try this link:
http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/fixture_document.pdf

KT31
30-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I remember our club trumpeting about how good our 1996 fixture was when it was announced at the time - that season sure ended up well.

Thats not the way I remember it.

Sedat
30-10-2009, 03:31 PM
^ ^ ^ ^
KT31, I was being sarcastic. We had a 'soft' draw but finished 15th, and in other season we've had 'hard' draws and finished top 4.

Interesting little aside - in 19 H&A matches from Round 15 2009 to Round 11 2010, we play Collingwood 4 times. In the same period we don't play Carlton at all.

aker39
30-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I understand the inequities that exist - I just don't understand the reactions that accompany it. We've had some level of inequity since the 14 team competition commenced in 1987 - you'd think we'd all be well prepared for it now after 24 seasons.

Because there hasn't been a game of football played for 4 weeks and this is the 1st stage of looking forward to next year.

Yes, there have been inequity for a long time, but each year brings new inequity, whether they be perceived or real, only time will tell.

Sedat
30-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Because there hasn't been a game of football played for 4 weeks and this is the 1st stage of looking forward to next year.
I'm loathe to credit the AFL but in the last 10 years they have done an expert job of hijacking media coverage in the off season. There's 'draft camp' immediately following the GF, then there is 'trade week', which has ramped up about 10 notches in recent seasons as a major AFL media-driven 'event', then they release little snippets of the following year's draw in the 2 weeks preceeding the official release of the next season's fixture, again creating a mini 'event'. Then there's National Draft, the PSD and Rookie draft, pre-season track watch (where everybody is 'flying', even moreso that Neville Bartos in 'Chopper') and before you know it, we are counting down the days to the NAB Cup. Poor old cricket now has Boxing Day and that's about it. Even the A-League, Spring Carnival (almost a mini-AFL event with the number of players invited to the marquees) and Australian Open get their moments in the sun - Tiger Woods this year as well. Cricket season is being bashed around from all angles.

BulldogBelle
30-10-2009, 04:11 PM

I've been looking all day. I don't think one exists yet.

Look no further ...there is an excel version on Real Footy (http://www.realfooty.com.au/)

Doc26
30-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Has there been a fixture ,in recent years at least, where we haven't had to play Adelaide in Adelaide and West Coast in Perth ? These just seem to be locked in definites for us.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Has there been a fixture ,in recent years at least, where we haven't had to play Adelaide in Adelaide and West Coast in Perth ? These just seem to be locked in definites for us.

No, there hasn't.

Last time we didn't play Adelaide in Adelaide was 1998.

Last time we didn't play West Coast in Perth was 1996.

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 04:31 PM

We seem to play Brisbane in Brisbane each year too.....

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2009, 04:39 PM
No, there hasn't.

Last time we didn't play Adelaide in Adelaide was 1998.

Last time we didn't play West Coast in Perth was 1996.

Any idea what our record at these two venues since then is?

It seems like we do OK in Adelaide but not so well in Perth.

The Coon Dog
30-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Any idea what our record at these two venues since then is?

It seems like we do OK in Adelaide but not so well in Perth.
I don't have the time at the moment, but if you go here, you can find out what you are after:

All the stats (http://afl.allthestats.com/teams/teamseas.php?t1=17&yrfm=2009)

Just change the year & see.

aker39
30-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Look no further ...there is an excel version on Real Footy (http://www.realfooty.com.au/)

Thanks, although it's not quite the excel version I was looking forward.

In past years the AFL of released a version where you can easily see how many games a team is playing on certain days, at certain venues etc...

Throughandthrough
30-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Hooray for needing to be in Perth for work June 20 next year ;)

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Wish I had read this first, made my own excel. on the AFL when you pick your teams fixture, it doesn't tell you if home or away, you have to look at the full fixture to see that. Anyway made my own and colour coded interstate games to be on the look out for cheap airfares. At the moment the real cheap one is Sydney 21st August, Jetstar $39/$49 with or without luggage, don't reckon we would get cheaper than that. it is a Saturday night game so would have to stay overnight.

Sockeye Salmon
30-10-2009, 05:48 PM

We on?

azabob
30-10-2009, 06:40 PM

In past years the AFL of released a version where you can easily see how many games a team is playing on certain days, at certain venues etc...

Aker39, this is the fixture. Under the headline magpies big winners is an excel version in Red, and if you click on it there are 2 tabs on the sheet and the second one details clubs playing on certain days etc.

KT31
30-10-2009, 06:50 PM

We on?

Already on the computer.

What about Darwin ? (Its our off season. )

LostDoggy
30-10-2009, 11:53 PM

If you go to The Age's draw here: http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/magpies-the-big-winners-in-2010-afl-draw/2009/10/30/1256835138263.html

There's a book with the 2010 draw and a book looking at the "club by club breakdown" - if that makes sense? I'm not too familiar with excel so don't know all the terms but it's one of the tabs down the bottom.

LostDoggy
31-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I am liking this draw for 2010 for the Bulldogs.

Like St Kilda 2009 draw (easy), Bulldogs top 4 again in 2010.

LostDoggy
31-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I think the most strange thing about our draw is 3 Friday night games in a row..(I think we had 2 or 3 in a row this year) but one of them being against Melbourne at the mcg? Anyone wanna guess the crowd in that one? 21,000? 22? More or less than when we play Adelaide also on the Friday night?

hujsh
31-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I am liking this draw for 2010 for the Bulldogs.

Like St Kilda 2009 draw (easy), Bulldogs top 4 again in 2010.

We won't really know how difficult it is until the end of the season though

LostDoggy
01-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Fair call,

I did have a closer look and we will play mostly 2009 top 8 and close to top 8 twice.

Pies, Bris, Adel, Bombers, Haws, Kan all X 2 = 12 games
Stkilda, Geelong, Carlton X 1 = 3 games
Balance of 7 games that I think we should win
Syd X2, Port Adel, Frem, West Coast, Tigers and Melb. = 7 games

Does not look easy now..

LostDoggy
01-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Pretty good draw but n ot of a fan of the 6 day break before and after the Gabba trip.

LostDoggy
01-11-2009, 10:25 AM
fairly good draw me thinks. Nice run home for the finals. Only one saturday which is good if you work on a saturday like me :)

BulldogBelle
01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Hopefully Round 22 is played at the 'G

Its a very different ground to Docklands and we need experience playing there prior to finals

Mantis
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Hopefully Round 22 is played at the 'G

Its a very different ground to Docklands and we need experience playing there prior to finals

The game will be played at ES, that is confirmed. Just the timeslot is the unknown and will be decided at a later date by the AFL.

Doc26
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't understand how we can say we like the fixture. Yes we all know it's fixed but not in our favour. Still 6 interstate matches for us, yes not all entirely of the League's doing but then this too can be argued, whereas the so called powerhouses of the Magpies have only 4 and Essendon with only 3 and then b/w rounds 7 to 16, that's 10 matches, only 1 of these is a home ground match for us against the Lions. Of our 2 visits west of the boarder both are against the two tougher options, historically at least, opponents in the Eagles and then the Crows. It's our lot it would seem and we seem to be getting used to the idea.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't understand how we can say we like the fixture. Yes we all know it's fixed but not in our favour. Still 6 interstate matches for us, yes not all entirely of the League's doing but then this too can be argued, whereas the so called powerhouses of the Magpies have only 4 and Essendon with only 3 and then b/w rounds 7 to 16, that's 10 matches, only 1 of these is a home ground match for us against the Lions. Of our 2 visits west of the boarder both are against the two tougher options, historically at least, opponents in the Eagles and then the Crows. It's our lot it would seem and we seem to be getting used to the idea.

There's a case for both sides but playing two home games interstate obviously means we're only playing four "away". In that sense, we've got a very good draw and no worse than Collingwood. However - if we didn't have bad ES deals or weren't made to play in other states (IE Darwin) then we wouldn't have to play away home games to begin with.

No draw is ever going to be easy, there's always going to be certain aspects that don't suit us. From a supporter perspective, the rounds 7-16 won't be great for home game viewing but it shouldn't effect the side. Playing Geelong/Saints once each is a big bonus.

Realistically we should easily account for West Coast despite our two poor performances against them this year. Not the AFL's fault we've struggled against them in recent times despite their ladder positioning.

For mine, it's one of the better looking draws we've had but it's still going to be tough like every other year.

LostDoggy
02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Fair call,

I did have a closer look and we will play mostly 2009 top 8 and close to top 8 twice.

Pies, Bris, Adel, Bombers, Haws, Kan all X 2 = 12 games
Stkilda, Geelong, Carlton X 1 = 3 games
Balance of 7 games that I think we should win
Syd X2, Port Adel, Frem, West Coast, Tigers and Melb. = 7 games

Does not look easy now..

These things can come back and bite you in the bum. But, I would think that we should still hold our dominance over the Pies, Bombers and also the Kangaroos.
Brisbane are an unknown quantity, however it takes new players awhile to settle into a new club, and get in sync with one another - so don't feel threatened. Their midfield is still slow.
Adelaide = threat = 1 loss
Hawks = potential threat = 1 loss
Saints = threat = potential loss
Geelong - Threat = potential loss
Carlton - should finally beat them this year - but still a threat.

In saying all of this, I think we could lose around 6 games this year which means we should still make the top 4.

Mofra
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
13. WCE - Sun June 20 - 2.40pm - Sub
14. Hawthorn - Fri July 2 - 7.40pm - MCG
5 day break coming back from Subi, not nice.

Mantis
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
For mine, it's one of the better looking draws we've had but it's still going to be tough like every other year.

I think we all get stuck looking too far ahead in trying to determine how we will go in any particular game against team ' A' at venue 'Z'.

I think we have seen over the past couple of years that we comfortably sit within the best 4 sides in the competition and as such we will win our fair share of games, but as we saw with the game against WC in rd 19 this year that if we don't 'turn up to play' it doesn't matter who we are playing or where we are playing them we will struggle.