PDA

View Full Version : Brad Scott

Bulldog Revolution
03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
He's been talking up the roos in the offseason.

I remain pretty unconvinced.

Does he know what he is talking about?

Will his whiteline fever issues be a problem?

Will his appointment prove to be one of the crazier coaching appointments of recent years?

1eyedog
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
What else has he got to talk about? North Melbourne need a serious marketing ploy for next season to push membership numbers up. They have some ok kids but North won't be competitive until 2011 and won't be a challenge to the top 6 teams until (at least) 2012.

Scott is a good man for the job IMO. He's persistent, patient, aggressive and straight to the point which is just what North need now. I see him as an interim type coach, the kind they employ during the tough times.

I think North officials and supporters in general are under no illusions that they are a way off the pack but good on Scott for trying to rally the masses.

GVGjr
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
He's been talking up the roos in the offseason.

I remain pretty unconvinced.

Does he know what he is talking about?

Will his whiteline fever issues be a problem?

Will his appointment prove to be one of the crazier coaching appointments of recent years?

He needs to establish himself and the club as offering something different to the fans and the media and while I understand this approach he seems to taking the look at me approach rather than just getting some runs on the board.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
He needs to establish himself and the club as offering something different to the fans and the media and while I understand this approach he seems to taking the look at me approach rather than just getting some runs on the board.

Not sure about the look at me approach but rather an honest attempt to lift the image of a struggling club, which includes many who under performed this year like Hale and Wells etc. With a new coach, new facilities and staff and some classy young talent at Scott's disposal it would seem to be a positive way forward.

SPower
04-11-2009, 12:59 AM
It's always enteresting to see how younger and also less mature coaches handle the low points and that includes Voss.
At the moment Scott is full of Brovado, what happens when the shit hits the fan,
can he manage the players around him. Time will tell, but even Rodney had trouble in his earlier days of being able to manange the troups- an area he recognised as one needing improving.

azabob
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
It certainly is an interesting tact.

The other newbie coach is Damien Hardwick and we have not heard boo from in.

Totally opposite way they are approaching the season.

Sedat
04-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Probably a good thing for Richmond to avoid yet another off-season circus atmosphere and just let Hardwick get on with what is going to be a tough job. His chainsaw certainly has been busy, with 12 players from the senior list in 2009 not being there in 2010 - of that list, only 2 are retirees and the other 10 have been delisted or traded. Has there ever been more than 12 changes to the senior list in any one off-season before?

Topdog
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Hardwick has been told to keep it quiet this off season.

Bulldog Revolution
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Hardwick has been told to keep it quiet this off season.

Do you think he was told, or he has been telling other people?

Wing_Nut
05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
I suppose it's a case of the both clubs' current situation. Whether Hardwick's been advised/advising or not.

Richmond need to start playing good football considering their performances over the past decade. Membership isn't an issue - good footy is.

North Melbourne on the other hand need the publicity to boost memberships and the club's image.

mjp
05-11-2009, 01:51 AM
I have no doubt that Scott's determination to engage the media and become a 'voice' played a part in North's choice.

Bulldog Revolution
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Thats interesting given he was such a low profile player, and has had little media exposure, apart from a little at Collingwood

Dot you think coaches grow in to that role of being the voice? if they can actually coach?

mjp
06-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I have heard less than positive reports of his Collingwood tenure. Very important to talk a good game apparently.

Remi Moses
06-11-2009, 12:58 AM
It certainly is an interesting tact.

Totally opposite way they are approaching the season.

Let's be honest the previous coach did about 5 pre-seasons of non stop talk in one pre-season. Norf might go okay as they always do when you least expect it!

Bulldog Revolution
06-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Let's be honest the previous coach did about 5 pre-seasons of non stop talk in one pre-season. Norf might go okay as they always do when you least expect it!

They fell away last year pretty badly, and were no longer competitive in a lot of games

Did they fall away after Laidley jumped, or did Laidley see the writing on the wall

Either way, as another poster has pointed out elsewhere they have a number of players who consistently do not produce their best e.g Wells, Hale, CJones, Edwards etc

mjp
08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Either way, as another poster has pointed out elsewhere they have a number of players who consistently do not produce their best e.g Wells, Hale, CJones, Edwards etc

But maybe the reason they don't consistently produce their 'best' is because they aren't that good?

AndrewP6
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
But maybe the reason they don't consistently produce their 'best' is because they aren't that good?

Good point... maybe they are actually producing their best, and it's just that everyone else's best is better.

Bulldog Revolution
08-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Yes - thats a very valid point and the evidence is at this stage is thats the case, but any coach taking on North would be hoping they could solve the consitency issues of D.Wells

BulldogBelle
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Good luck to Brad Scott at North, him 'talking it up' reminds me so much of the way Voss approaches things. It might spark some of those North players a little which is a good thing. Be interesting to see how he reacts when things don't quite go the way he wants them to.

Mantis
08-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes - thats a very valid point and the evidence is at this stage is thats the case, but any coach taking on North would be hoping they could solve the consitency issues of D.Wells

As mjp stated it might be that Wells just isn't that good a player. Sure he has some talent, but he would play no more than 2 or 3 very good games per season which is what is expected of just a good average AFL player which is probably the category that Wells fits best into.

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
As mjp stated it might be that Wells just isn't that good a player. Sure he has some talent, but he would play no more than 2 or 3 very good games per season which is what is expected of just a good average AFL player which is probably the category that Wells fits best into.

That's pretty much what I agreed with

I just feel that Brad Scott is going to be deluded enough to think he can change it for a whole raft of their players who are only capable of producing similar results.

And I'll suspect that part of his appointment interview was based on the boards belief he could do that also