PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Magpies

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 09:16 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go with Johnson.

This is a very important game for us and I hope we get off to a good start.

LostDoggy
20-05-2007, 10:12 AM
First goal to Aker who will carry on his spark from the 4th quarter last week.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 12:26 PM
This is a very important game for us and I hope we get off to a good start.

On form, we are playing a top six team today. IMO any slow starts to quarters will kill us. Ditto if we can't hold own in the clearances.

What's the Pies' record at the Dome like?

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Had to work this afternoon and can't see the replay till midnight. Only listened to the last few minutes.

How did we turn it around? Seems the Pies were belting us early third quarter.

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Had to work this afternoon and can't see the replay till midnight. Only listened to the last few minutes.

How did we turn it around? Seems the Pies were belting us early third quarter.

Run, run and more run plus a more attacking set-up after half time. We were very good after half time and just a bit too cautious before it.

LostDoggy
20-05-2007, 06:35 PM
How sweet it is!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3773/picture337db3.jpg

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Eade post game said that we more hard at the ball in the second half.

Sounds like Addison and Higgins made names for themselves today?

What happened to Rocca? went off for a while late in the game.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 06:36 PM
How sweet it is!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3773/picture337db3.jpg

My, that's a nice pic. :)

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Eade post game said that we more hard at the ball in the second half.

Sounds like Addison and Higgins made names for themselves today?

What happened to Rocca? went off for a while late in the game.

Higgins was impressive today with the way he reads the game and how he can convert his chances.

Bulldog Revolution is a big fan of Addison and over the last couple of weeks I can see why. He is very strong in a contest and a very good runner. He doesn't shirk a contest either.

Rocco got a leg injury but it didn't look too bad.

LostDoggy
20-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Eade was giving Addison a big wrap in a post game interview. Said the way he just keeps going for the ball lifts the team.

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Eade was giving Addison a big wrap in a post game interview. Said the way he just keeps going for the ball lifts the team.

He's a terrific runner isn't he and I like his attack on the ball. For Eade to single him out is really a special acknowledgment of his effort today.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Boyd got the special medal after the game - did he deserve it?

Betcha Power didn't enjoy Addison's heriocs - I'd say Addison is in the team for a while.

southerncross
20-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Some of the things Aker did today were positive signs that he is running back into form. I thought he stood up when it counted and really got stuck into it. He seems to be regaining his speed as well.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Some of the things Aker did today were positive signs that he is running back into form. I thought he stood up when it counted and really got stuck into it. He seems to be regaining his speed as well.

Where was he mostly played?

And on a different topic, how did we nullify their tall forwards?

Topdog
20-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Higgins was brilliant today. He just reads the play so easily/well and his ability to stay on his feet is 2nd to none. There was one play in the last qtr where I just couldn't believe he got to the ball first. He was in a marking contest and his 2nd effort/workrate won him the ball.

LostDoggy
20-05-2007, 06:54 PM
There was a passage of play when Aker chased down an opposition player. Just caught him and upset the Collingwood's player kick. Fantastic chase and over quite a distance.

southerncross
20-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Boyd got the special medal after the game - did he deserve it?

Betcha Power didn't enjoy Addison's heriocs - I'd say Addison is in the team for a while.

I think he did. Did some very good things and was consistent all day.

Power wouldn't be too concerned by Addison's form because I think he is seen more as a forward than a defender. Murphy coming back from his hammy poses a big risk at the moment for him.

southerncross
20-05-2007, 06:55 PM
There was a passage of play when Aker chased down an opposition player. Just caught him and upset the Collingwood's player kick. Fantastic chase and over quite a distance.

Yes I remember that in the 3rd quarter. He really played with purpose today which is a sign of a champ.

southerncross
20-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Higgins was brilliant today. He just reads the play so easily/well and his ability to stay on his feet is 2nd to none. There was one play in the last qtr where I just couldn't believe he got to the ball first. He was in a marking contest and his 2nd effort/workrate won him the ball.

Have to agree. He is not the terrific athlete that we normally tend to go for with our 1st round draft picks but he is an all round good footballer who has plenty of balance and poise and just reads the play so well. When he gets his fitness right he will transition into the midfield nicely.

dog town
20-05-2007, 07:12 PM
That was our best win of the year by that far its ridiculous. Everything was going exactly as the pies would have wanted it. They were getting alot more numbers around the contest and smashing us around the packs with weight of numbers and superior positioning. They had the game at half time and we had to turn it back our way and I think we just found another level of intensity and just wore them down to the point where they could no longer go with us. Once we were able to get some centre clearances (5-0 at the start of the third) and begun winning the ball around the packs the pies were forced to chase us a bit more and that impacted on how many numbers they were able to get around the ball. So a combination of us finding a new level of intensity (im talking brand new not just in that game) and the fact that we were able to get out and run eventually wore them down atleast that was my take on it. Just for the record I really rate the pies. Extremely disciplined and a very accountable and tough side. I rate it as being right up with the best wins under Eade.

Alot of things we can do better but the most pleasing thing is that we had so many quality players who have another level. Hahn was ok but will get better, Mcmahon is getting more attention and had little impact, Aker will only get better as long as he doesn't get injured and all of Wight, Addison, Darcy, Harbrow and Street will get alot out of todays game. Griffen and Ray have 1 or 2 gears to go up as well.

In the first half we were not pushing up to get extra numbers at the contest enough and some of our positioning around contested situations was a little bit "easy road" sort of stuff. When I say extra numbers we certainly dont want to flood the congested area and play into the hands of the opposition but if its 6 or 7 on 2 then we are not going to win the contest so we need a couple more to atleast push over and create an option for the quick handpass out. I think we play our best footy when we swarm on the ball and run away from contests in numbers. We probably didn't move the ball as quickly as what we would want or take enough risks in the first half either.

Ray- Dropped off today from his last couple.

Cross- Was everywhere in the second half. Gave brilliant handpasses and ran his arse off to create options to kick to.

Boyd- High in the votes as far as I am concerned. Never conceded front spot at any contest and just kept getting his hands on it in close. Kicked some crucial goals. Just seemed to have a huge influence at the clearances.

Johnson- Well held by O'Brien but kept presenting and had an influence. Still had 21 touches and helped set up a few goals.

West- Typical westy game. In the best 3 or 4 players on the ground. I like the way we send him forward sometimes now. He is so strong and clever he is going to create opportunities.

Hahn- Still short of fitness but had an impact. Gives us an intimidating presence. Thought we probably could have exploited the Presti match up a little more.

Gilbee- Was very brave today and left his man to be third man up in front of bigger opponents quite a few times. Starting to get on the end of the ball a little bit more again now.

Eagleton- Was useless early when we were not winning enough ball but did his job when we got on top and found space to carry the ball. Always our barometer because if he plays well it means we are winning plenty of the ball.

Guido- Found himself a niche lately by making the oppositions dangerous defenders accountable and keeping them honest. Getting plenty of shots on goal and forcing them to man him up. I like the way he is starting to work into his season. Has another level.

Darcy- Still finding his feet. Linked up well in the second half and gave Street a few brief chop outs. Kicked an important goal in the last as well. Will give us another ingredient if he keeps improving. Really like his aggressive nature.

Griffen- Little bit better today. Did some brave things and started to work a little bit harder.

Cooney- Well and truly our best player in terms of forward pressure this season. Apart from his actual tackles he puts alot of chases on that just slow down the opposition. Kicked 4 goals playing mainly as a forward then went into themidfield and played IMO his best 25 minutes of midfield for the season. Got on the end of a few clearances and worked hard in the packs for that burst he had on the ball. I like the way he and Aker combined late on.

Higgins- Just cruising along right now. Only needs 5 or 6 touches to really hurt sides but they probably didn't pay him enough respect today and he got 15 or so. Loved his goal after leading Goldsack under he ball in the first quarter. His work ethic will determine whether he becomes an elite player or just a very brilliant small forward.

Addison- Has enormous courage and was able to get a little more of the ball today. Won some big contests for us with pure commitment. A couple of times where the ball sat up between he and a pies player he just put his head down and charged through. Wont get dropped when heis showing that sort of endeavour. Pretty much shows how ridiculous it is when people rave on about us not having enough big bodies to compete with lock down sides. Here is a kid who is 70 odd kgs and he was throwing himself in without hesitation. Size is nothing without the will to put yourself in danger.

Mcmahon- I think teams are putting more work into him now. We missed his run and risk taking in the first half.

Hargy- One of our best. Patched a hole for us on Cloke and just ran off all day. Could have been a bit cleaner at times but he was extremely good I thought. Had a good month.

Aker- Thought he was better early than some were giving him credit for but his third quarter was brilliant. Had alot of contested possesions and used the ball.Put in a couple of brilliant defensive chases and I think he is fitting in very nicely now. Gets over analysed IMO. Set up a few goals with pin point disposal.

Harris- Rocca got a bit of it but Brian was very impressive. Left his man to make crucial spoils and ran off all day.

Harbrow- Showed good signs again. Always looks to take them on. Telstra dome might be a bit slippery for his agile manouvering at times. Would like to get him closer to goal at times just to see what he can create.

Wight- Very positive sign. Not for the first time he found himself without a real match up but found a way to get himself into the contest. Rucked for a fair bit in the 3rd and 4th quarters and although Fraser had him in the taps Wight covered alot of ground and began racking up touches as the game went on.You could see his confidence growing.

Morris- Had him in the best. Kept a good player down and helped out his mates alot with telling marks and tackles.

Just on the backline I think they are combining very well. Harris, Hargy and Morris have a very good understanding at the moment and not only are they giving eachother plenty of help but they are feeding off each other with their run.

Street- Probably one of his better games. Very effective from the taps early in the third. Pushed back to defence to help out and tried to shepherd and stay involved around the ground.

Go_Dogs
20-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Good breakdown as always DT. Agree with the majority of things you've said re: Cooney, Akermanis, Higgins, Addison etc.

I thought Wight really helped us in the last when he moved onto the ball. He really works hard around the ground, and kept presenting to give as a reasonable option to kick to. Impressive stuff. He wasn't wearing any shin guards either when he was rucking. Addison is going to be a player w/o doubt. His movement of the ball by foot was also better today I thought. Spotted up a couple of very nice passes. Giansiracusa needs to work on his finishing a bit...missed a couple of very gettable goals today simply by stressing and over-thinking the situation a bit too much.

Cooney was able to get his hands on some well placed taps today - the signs were there last week when he could've had about 10 clearances if the ball had dropped better for him - and this week they did drop for him. Such an important player, and when he's working this hard, he's very hard to beat. His pressure skills are very often overlooked, and today he again showed why he's so highly regarded, and important.

Also found it interesting McMahon started on the bench.

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Good breakdown as always DT. .

Agreed.

Thanks DT, almost seems like I saw it.

Cooney was able to get his hands on some well placed taps today

Is the argument over for now that Street/Darcy/Wight is the best ruck combo for us?

dog town
20-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Good breakdown as always DT. Agree with the majority of things you've said re: Cooney, Akermanis, Higgins, Addison etc.

I thought Wight really helped us in the last when he moved onto the ball. He really works hard around the ground, and kept presenting to give as a reasonable option to kick to. Impressive stuff. He wasn't wearing any shin guards either when he was rucking. Addison is going to be a player w/o doubt. His movement of the ball by foot was also better today I thought. Spotted up a couple of very nice passes. Giansiracusa needs to work on his finishing a bit...missed a couple of very gettable goals today simply by stressing and over-thinking the situation a bit too much.

Cooney was able to get his hands on some well placed taps today - the signs were there last week when he could've had about 10 clearances if the ball had dropped better for him - and this week they did drop for him. Such an important player, and when he's working this hard, he's very hard to beat. His pressure skills are very often overlooked, and today he again showed why he's so highly regarded, and important.

Also found it interesting McMahon started on the bench. Just listened to Eades press conference. Mcmahon has carried a bad corky since the hawks game and Rocket said that in hindsight he probably shouldn't have played today.

Go_Dogs
20-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Is the argument over for now that Street/Darcy/Wight is the best ruck combo for us?

I wouldn't say that this argument is over, but Street has certainly improved his ability to palm the ball to dangerous spots, whilst he has shown more ability to get involved in the play and stick a mark. Wight is proving he can be ok in the bounce, and good around the ground, whilst Darcy will continue to do a reasonable job when required to ruck. I think this combination will work well against teams like Sydney who are lacking a tall defender, but at other times I'd like to see Wight in defense, Darcy forward and perhaps the need for Minson to come in and play the other ruck role. Obviously, form and opposition will be the deciding factors.

Just listened to Eades press conference. Mcmahon has carried a bad corky since the hawks game and Rocket said that in hindsight he probably shouldn't have played today.

Ahh, makes a bit more sense now. Wonder who will come in for him, assuming he'll miss this coming week?

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Just watching the replay now and that passage of play where Harris takes on Rocco and then passed to the ball over to Hargrave for the 55mtr goal was just outstanding. Very pleased with how both of those guys are performing this year.

Anyone else think that was just about the play of the day for us?

BulldogBelle
20-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Just watching the replay now and that passage of play where Harris takes on Rocco and then passed to the ball over to Hargrave for the 55mtr goal was just outstanding. Very pleased with how both of those guys are performing this year.

Watching the replay also, that was a great passage of play with Harris & Hargrave combining it definitely had the crowd going after he kicked that goal.

I quite liked the Aker running down Ben Johnson, that would get my vote.

GVGjr
20-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Bulldogs run over Magpies (http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/dogs-run-over-pies/2007/05/20/1179601230481.html)

WESTERN BULLDOGS 5.3 8.8 15.12 20.15 (135)
COLLINGWOOD 5.3 11.7 13.13 14.18 (102)
Goals: Western Bulldogs: S Higgins 4 A Cooney 4 M Boyd 2 J Akermanis 2 L Darcy 2 B Johnson M Hahn L Gilbee N Eagleton D Giansiracusa R Hargrave. Collingwood: A Rocca 3 L Davis 2 A Didak 2 J Fraser 2 T Cloke 2 S Pendlebury S Burns B Dick. Best: Western Bulldogs: S West M Boyd D Cross S Higgins R Hargrave B Harris. Collingwood: S Burns S Pendlebury J Fraser H O'Brien S O'Bree L Davis.
Umpires: D Margetts R Chamberlain S McInerney
Crowd: 46,990 at Telstra Dome.

A spirited Western Bulldogs side over-ran a tiring Collingwood to notch an impressive 20.15 (135) to 14.18 (102) victory in an entertaining clash at Telstra Dome today.

In a scenario that brought back memories of the Dogs' elimination final thrashing of the Magpies last season, the Bulldogs looked in trouble early, but ran Collingwood off their legs in the second half.

After trailing by as much as 25 points - 11 minutes into the third quarter - the Bulldogs piled on the last six goals of the third term, then kicked 5.3 to 1.5 in the last to storm to a 33-point win.

Midfielders Scott West, Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd were all impressive for the winners.

While Collingwood was well on top in the midfield packs in the first half, the Dogs were able to work their way on top after the long break.

And the Bulldogs' running players were superb after half-time, with youngster Shaun Higgins and veteran Jason Akermanis starting slowly, but dominating late in the game.

Higgins kicked three goals in the second half, while Akermanis kicked two, with Nathan Eagleton, Lindsay Gilbee, Ryan Griffen and Jarrod Harbrow other running players who contributed to the second half rampage. The Magpies had looked extremely impressive before half-time, surging to the lead with a six-goal burst in 18 minutes late in the second quarter, which put them up by 17 points at half-time.

Midfielders Scott Burns, Shane O'Bree, Tarkyn Lockyer and Dane Swan all won plenty of the ball in the first half, while Josh Fraser was good in the ruck and around the ground.

Big forward Anthony Rocca kicked two goals in the first half and another early in the second half, to have the best of a good battle with Brian Harris early.

Small forwards Alan Didak and Leon Davis also kicked two goals each in the first half, with both of those players starring during Collingwood's best patch of the match in the second term.

But they both faded badly late in the game, while Rocca's kicking skills deserting him as Harris started to work his way on top.

A 30 metre set shot which Rocca blasted out on the full late in the third term, which would have put his side in front, was particularly costly.

A chase and tackle by Akermanis on Ben Johnson which caused him to miss a running shot from 20 metres out a few minutes earlier was also a vital moment.

Other good players for the Dogs included defender Ryan Hargrave, while young running player Scott Pendlebury was good for the Magpies and emerging defender Harry O'Brien did a valiant job on Bulldogs skipper Brad Johnson.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Loved it.

I wish that very, very soon we can play Shaggy further up the ground in an attacking role. For me, he offers presents as a very dangerous prospect for oppositions if he can run, his finishing for goal is very good as well.

bornadog
20-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Murphy coming back from his hammy poses a big risk at the moment for him.

Heard Murphy being interviewed and he said he is still 2 weeks away, fingers croseed.

Bulldog Revolution
20-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Terrific performance, at least the second half. I felt Boyd was the correct winner of the medal, ran all day, loads of clearances, a real presence in the packs. Many pleasing signs: some of Ackers work was brilliant, turning half or slim chances into goals, his hands and feet were dynamic today, Addisons best game for the club, Wight doing some ruck work and then roving his own hit outs, West, Cross their usual selves, Darcy converting two great long goals. Loads of contributors, loads of guys working hard. Still room for improvement but very encouraging - the second half application was just what was needed.

Could this be the game for which Higgins finally gets Rising Star nominated???? Sorry Alwaysadog - I stole your thunder here!

Dry Rot
20-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Just finished work (an odd time and day to have a meeting) and the replay up here still hasn't started. :(

LostDoggy
21-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I know everyone's acknowledged the upside of the second half of yesterday's game but I also thought the first quarter was pretty good. It was clear from the get go that they had come to play and the pressure on the opposition when they had the ball was good. Watching at the ground I never felt we would lose this one, even when we were 20+ points down. It was a very enjoyable afternoon at the footy.

Dry Rot
21-05-2007, 12:15 PM
IMO if the Pies had kickd 6.2 instead of 2.6 in the 3Q, they would have buried us.

We must start playing four quarters of good football to beat sides like the swans.

bornadog
21-05-2007, 03:44 PM
IMO if the Pies had kickd 6.2 instead of 2.6 in the 3Q, they would have buried us.

We must start playing four quarters of good football to beat sides like the swans.

We also kicked 7.4 in the third so can't agree DT, both teams missed easy shots. But they did beat us in the last 10 minutes of the second quarter, which when you think about it is about the closest we have come to playing four good quarters.

bornadog
21-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I know everyone's acknowledged the upside of the second half of yesterday's game but I also thought the first quarter was pretty good. It was clear from the get go that they had come to play and the pressure on the opposition when they had the ball was good. Watching at the ground I never felt we would lose this one, even when we were 20+ points down. It was a very enjoyable afternoon at the footy.

I felt the same as you, never thought we would lose, although when they were 25 points up I got a little nervous.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Honestly, it was by far the best 4 Qtr effort we've produced all year thus far I'd say, even better than the Geelong win. Even when Collingwood got a bit of a run on, the ascendancy didn't drift too far out of our reach, and instead of throwing in the towel, they kept working hard and it paid off. Hard work will win us a lot of games. We just need to keep it up.

bornadog
22-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Wasn't it great having Darcy at Fullforward, even thou he didn't kick many, he crashed a few packs, laid tackles and gave the smalls something. I think he made a huge difference.