PDA

View Full Version : The official Sam Reid/Daniel Currie Memorial Eker Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eke

eke
2 to manage with difficulty to make (a living, livelihood etc) The artist could scarcely eke out a living from his painting.

'Ekers' is a term I use for players who are great at eking out a career. Please don't confuse my ekers with list cloggers though.

List cloggers include players who once were guns that are no longer worth their spot on the list. The term relates to their value here and now.

Being an Eker is based on:
- Whole career: Never being a gun/All-Australian/Best and Fairest winner etc.
- Just doing enough to survive.
- Unlike the term 'list clogger', Eker does not imply you should be delisted (however it does help). You can actually be an Eker and a valuable member of your side.
- Pure ekers survive by finding playing a role that their side really struggles to fill.
- The longer the survive, the great an Eker you are.
- Special bonus points for being able to survive despite being delisted/traded away for nothing.

The delistings that come with list lodgements are the worst time of the year for these Ekers. Many has fallen but that means even more eker respect for those who survived.

Anyways, after my super laborious explanations, here are my nominations for each club's greatest current Eker.

Adelaide: Michael Doughty
Brisbane: Brent Staker
Carlton: Simon Wiggins
Collingwood: Leigh Brown
Essendon: Nathan Lovett-Murray
Fremantle: Antoni Grover
Geelong: Josh Hunt
Hawthorn: Simon Taylor
Melbourne: Mark Jamar
North Melbourne: Leigh Harding
Port Adelaide: Jay Schulz
Richmond: Jordan McMahon
St.Kilda: Sean Dempster
Sydney: Henry Playfair
West Coast: Ashely Hansen
Western Bulldogs: Nathan Eagleton

Throughandthrough
06-11-2009, 11:20 PM
lol....

girlfriend busy 2nite Rocco?

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
lol....

girlfriend busy 2nite Rocco?

Watching Sopranos DVD.

Sedat
06-11-2009, 11:29 PM
If, as expected, he runs around again in 2010, Eagleton will have 'eked' out a career spanning near enough to 300 matches. That's a longer career than such luminaries as Carey, Buckley, Brereton, Flower and Skilton amongst others.

Simon Wiggins has indeed done a good job of being able to sustain a career spanning 9 seasons so far and 100+ matches with the talent he has been given.

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
If, as expected, he runs around again in 2010, Eagleton will have 'eked' out a career spanning near enough to 300 matches. That's a longer career than such luminaries as Carey, Buckley, Brereton, Flower and Skilton amongst others.

Simon Wiggins has done a good job of being able to sustain a career spanning 9 seasons so far and 100+ matches with the talent he has been given.

Yep. I find players who keep on finding ways to extend their careers very interesting. Simon Wiggins is an Eker in it's purest form.

Doughty is as good as a footballer as you can be and still be an Eker at the moment. I was suprised to hear he is 30. 166 games for 3 Brownlow votes. Crows delisting Nick Gill was very harsh on this exercise.

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:39 PM
All hail the great Eker of all time!

http://www.blueseum.org/img/wiki_up/losullivan.jpg

Dry Rot
06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Anyways, after my super laborious explanations, here are my nominations for each club's greatest current Eker.

Hawthorn: Simon Taylor
Port Adelaide: Jay Schulz
St.Kilda: Sean Dempster
West Coast: Ashely Hansen
Western Bulldogs: Nathan Eagleton

IIRC, at least half of those are playing with at least their second club. Coincidence or part of your theory?

If you're at a loose end, a list of Ekers who are premiership players over the last 15 years would be interesting - I'd bet most flag winning clubs had one.

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
IIRC, at least half of those are playing with at least their second club. Coincidence or part of your theory?

If you're at a loose end, a list of Ekers who are premiership players over the last 15 years would be interesting - I'd bet most flag winning clubs had one.

Part of my theory DR, it's a sign of being able to barely survive. I must not that there are many more Ekers running around, they are just the best at their club. Crows are rather bereft of them. There are a few up and coming Ekers too. I like the look of our very own Steven Tiller.

Shane Ellen is part of the Eker Alumni.

Sedat
06-11-2009, 11:44 PM
My first thought when I saw this thread was of the multitude of Kevin Sheedy 'special projects' to have eked out 8+ season careers for the Bombers - the likes of Kevin Walsh, David Flood, Dean Wallis, David Grenvold, Mark Bolton and Aaron Henneman.

Of past Dogs, I would think that the likes of Nigel Kellett, Greg Eppulstun and Todd Curley all fit the 'eker' criteria quite well. Luke O'Sullivan is 'eker' royalty.

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
My first thought when I saw this thread was of the multitude of Kevin Sheedy 'special projects' to have eked out 8+ season careers for the Bombers - the likes of Kevin Walsh, David Flood, Dean Wallis, David Grenvold, Mark Bolton and Aaron Henneman spring to mind.

Listing some of the greats. Daniel McAllister is another one. Mark Bolton is vintage Eker.

Dry Rot
06-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Part of my theory DR, it's a sign of being able to barely survive. I must not that there are many more Ekers running around, they are just the best at their club. Crows are rather bereft of them. There are a few up and coming Ekers too. I like the look of our very own Steven Tiller.

Shane Ellen is part of the Eker Alumni.

Looking from their draft year onwards, perhaps they're a little better than they are given credit for.

IIRC, only 30-50% of first round draft picks are successful and that figure gets a lot worse very quickly round by round. But 5 or 10 years on, the Ekers are still listed, battling on.

In this sense, they should be celebrated - they've done a lot better than most of their draft peers.

I suppose another factor is the salary cap - it would be great for a team to have a list of stars, but no club can afford them. Ekers are essential!

Sedat
06-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Bred Miller is ekeing out a pretty long career relative to his limited ability and the one trick he has in his repertoire of leading hard to present - a bit of a modern day (and a poor man's it must be said) 'Galaxy' Glenn Coleman

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Bred Miller is ekeing out a pretty long career relative to his limited ability and the one trick he has in his repertoire of leading hard to present - a bit of a modern day (and a poor man's it must be said) 'Galaxy' Glenn Coleman

Yeah Miller is an Eker. Jamar and Johnson vs Campbell and Taylor in the ruck this year was Eker bliss (not sure they even played in the same game but it suits the thread).

Rocco Jones
06-11-2009, 11:54 PM
For those playing at home; Eagleton, Callan and Tiller are the Bulldog Ekers.

The Pie Man
07-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Ekers that spring to mind

Sam Power - amazed (and good on him) he played over 100 games of senior footy
Josh Mahoney - traded & delisted by 2 seperate clubs, played in a flag with club 3

Tom Williams currently ekeing out a career on potential - and I say that being a massive fan of his

ledge
07-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Skipper must be a certainty, not many games at all but stayed on the list for what seems an eternity.

Rocco Jones
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Skipper must be a certainty, not many games at all but stayed on the list for what seems an eternity.

He would have been our Eker but it's only including currently listed players. As I mentioned, list lodgement time to Ekers is akin to duck season for ducks.

Twodogs
08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Good topic Rocco.

If I'm reading the Eker rules correctly I reckon that the post '96 version of Libba would be one of the great ekers of all time as well. He's won a Brownlow and been a gun through the early to mid '90s and was all washed up at the end of '96 but managed to eke out another six years by taking the 'in your face tagger' to another level.

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Good topic Rocco.

If I'm reading the Eker rules correctly I reckon that the post '96 version of Libba would be one of the great ekers of all time as well. He's won a Brownlow and been a gun through the early to mid '90s and was all washed up at the end of '96 but managed to eke out another six years by taking the 'in your face tagger' to another level.

Libba is an interesting one. As I mentioned in my OP, Ekerism is based on a player's whole career and being a gun means you're ineligible. As you point out, Libba's career from 1996 on is pure Eker.

Baker's career is an Eker. His whole career is like Libba's career post Round 21, 1996.

Twodogs
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Libba is an interesting one. As I mentioned in my OP, Ekerism is based on a player's whole career and being a gun means you're ineligible. As you point out, Libba's career from 1996 on is pure Eker.

Baker's career is an Eker. His whole career is like Libba's career post Round 21, 1996.

I wonder if there's another player in AFL history who went from gun to Eker (or tried to) that's managed to get more eker time than gun time? For Libba I make it 1990-1995 gun period, 1996 meh! period then 96-2002 eker period which gives him 6 years as a gun, 1 year list clogging and 7 years ekerering.

I reckon Steve Wallis had an eker conversion too. He went from a high possession winning centreman in his early years to a hardasnails half back flanker toward the end of his career. Doug Hawkins spent his last couple of years playing as a forward pocket away from the wing where he made his legend, does he count as an eker.

azabob
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Jayson Daniels the red head from St.Kilda and Swans surely was an eker? Played nearly 200

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I wonder if there's another player in AFL history who went from gun to Eker (or tried to) that's managed to get more eker time than gun time? For Libba I make it 1990-1995 gun period, 1996 meh! period then 96-2002 eker period which gives him 6 years as a gun, 1 year list clogging and 7 years ekerering.

I reckon Steve Wallis had an eker conversion too. He went from a high possession winning centreman in his early years to a hardasnails half back flanker toward the end of his career. Doug Hawkins spent his last couple of years playing as a forward pocket away from the wing where he made his legend, does he count as an eker.

I love your thinking and agree that all 3 players are great examples of guns that had eker ends to their careers but true Ekers are ekers all the way through.

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Jayson Daniels the red head from St.Kilda and Swans surely was an eker? Played nearly 200

Perfect Eker, well done.

Max469
08-11-2009, 09:01 PM

Jack fits perfectly.

I work with Jack - so I didn't really write that did I? He will think I am at him again. :rolleyes:

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Here's my 2009 All-Eker Side (featuring some fallen Ekers :()

B: Grover, Watt, D.Johnson
HB: Wheatley, Thurstans, L.Harding
C: Eagleton, Doughty, Notting
HF: Wiggins, Staker, Hansen
F: L.Brown, Playfair, Lovett-Murray
R: Jamar, S.Power, Baker
I/C: Skipper, Gill, Wight, Gilmore

Captain: Simon Wiggins
Vice Captain: Nathan Eagleton
Coach: Mark Harvey

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Steven Sziller would be in the Eker hall of fame, played 150+ games at 2 clubs.

AndrewP6
08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Here's the current CEO of the Australia Eker's League (AEL)

http://startupblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/andrew-demetriou.jpg

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 10:20 PM
SS post has reminded me to start my...

EKER HALL OF FAME

Luke O'Sullivan

Jayson Daniels
http://members.pcug.org.au/~mos/daniels.jpg

Rocco Jones
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's the current CEO of the Australia Eker's League (AEL)

http://startupblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/andrew-demetriou.jpg

Yep, there are some powerful Ekers going around. A couple of senior coaches were once Ekers.

ledge
08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Sheedy and Eade??

LostDoggy
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
simon garlic?

chef
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Ben Harrison would have to be an Eker.

And what about Chris Newman, captaining an AFL side.

The Pie Man
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Dean Wallis?

mighty_west
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Did Peter Quill & Michael Martin play enough games to be considered ekers?

Mofra
09-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Damien Peverill is a true Eker, got the best out of his limited talent by spirit & hardness.

What about Glen Coleman?

LostDoggy
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Paul Roos loves Ekers.

He's even done the unthinkable and turned some genuine Ekers into bona-fide premiership stars, turning Rocco's entire thesis on its head: Brett Kirk comes to mind.

Other Ekers at the Swans: LRT (110+ games), Rhyce Shaw (120+ games), Luke Ablett (126 games) etc.

LostDoggy
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM

Jason Ekermanis played in 3 premiership sides.

macca
10-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Shane O'bree 240 games one of the longest lasting ekers, Jared Couch 223 games , a classic eker

LostDoggy
10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Jason Ekermanis played in 3 premiership sides.

Aker, noted similarity in his surname aside, is about as far from an Eker as you would find.

Ekers don't win Brownlow medals as part of a Fab Four widely acknowledged as one of the best midfield quartets of all time, play 16 years of top-class football and kick countless magical goals, and be remembered as one of the greatest and most influential half-back flankers turned midfielders turned goalsneaks of the modern era.

Even in '09 he was still in the top 5 for all key indicators at the Dogs (and our top goalscorer!), so he's not even 'eke'ing out his final years.

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Here's my 2009 All-Eker Side (featuring some fallen Ekers :()

B: Grover, Watt, D.Johnson
HB: Wheatley, Thurstans, L.Harding
C: Eagleton, Doughty, Notting
HF: Wiggins, Staker, Hansen
F: L.Brown, Playfair, Lovett-Murray
R: Jamar, S.Power, Baker
I/C: Skipper, Gill, Wight, Gilmore

Captain: Simon Wiggins
Vice Captain: Nathan Eagleton
Coach: Mark Harvey

No room in this side for the greatest Eker of all time.....Jordan McMahon?

Mofra
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
No room in this side for the greatest Eker of all time.....Jordan McMahon?
McMahon was a junior champ though & a first round draft pick - not sure he'd qualify.

Sedat
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Troy Luff was a favourite 'eker' of mine from the 90's. He was delisted and re-drafted 2-3 times by the Swans and then proceeded to play his best football towards the latter stages of his career - though not at a level exceeding his 'eker' status

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Aker, noted similarity in his surname aside, is about as far from an Eker as you would find.

Ekers don't win Brownlow medals as part of a Fab Four widely acknowledged as one of the best midfield quartets of all time, play 16 years of top-class football and kick countless magical goals, and be remembered as one of the greatest and most influential half-back flankers turned midfielders turned goalsneaks of the modern era.

Even in '09 he was still in the top 5 for all key indicators at the Dogs (and our top goalscorer!), so he's not even 'eke'ing out his final years.

I'm aware of all that- it was just a play on words!

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm aware of all that- it was just a play on words!

Haha. Noted.

Rocco Jones
11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
McMahon was a junior champ though & a first round draft pick - not sure he'd qualify.

Jordy was my Richmond Eker and definitely qualifies. Your footy career before AFL counts for little when deciding whether you are an eker or not. It's all about their AFL career and Jordy is well and truly an Eker.

Rocco Jones
13-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them but at least for now, Lewis Roberts-Thomson will takeover as the Swans leading Eker. I am sure he won't let us down. There was some phenomenal Eker depth on the Swans list in 2009.

Thanks for the memories....

https://console.clubsonline.com.au/shopproducts/images/thumbnail/ABLETT%20Luke.jpg

https://console.clubsonline.com.au/shopproducts/images/thumbnail/PLAYFAIR%20Henry.jpg

Twodogs
14-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them ]

Dont be sad Rocco. If they do get redrafted then it just adds to the boy's ekerism.

Actually ekerism doesnt look right now that I look at it. Maybe ekerability or ekerstory would be better?

Sockeye Salmon
14-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Is it possible that an Eker could play 300 games?

I'm thinking Gary Foulds.

I reckon Barry Round was an Eker for most of his 300+ games as well.

Twodogs
14-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Did one of the Nankervis brothers get to 300 games at Geelong? Those two were pure ekers and they played nearly 500 games between them I reckon.

*edit* 578 games between them, 5 B&Fs, and nearly 10 years captaining the club between them. That makes tham eker Royalty.

Sockeye Salmon
14-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Did one of the Nankervis brothers get to 300 games at Geelong? Those two were pure ekers and they played nearly 500 games between them I reckon.

I reckon Ian was better than that.

Coached me briefly in '84 and I really liked the bloke.

How about John Blakey?

Twodogs
14-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I reckon Ian was better than that.

Coached me briefly in '84 and I really liked the bloke.

How about John Blakey?

I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

http://astro.ic.ac.uk/~mortlock/remnants/2005/2007/blakey_big.jpg

But given he played 350+ games and was a two time premiership player probably means I ought to accord him more respect.

Anyway "Footballers who automatically make you think of someone else when you hear their name" probably has enough legs in it for a thread all of it's own I reckon.

LostDoggy
16-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them but at least for now, Lewis Roberts-Thomson will takeover as the Swans leading Eker. I am sure he won't let us down. There was some phenomenal Eker depth on the Swans list in 2009.

Swans Eker-fullness is noted by myself a page back. Luke Ablett built an entire AFL career on the back of a surname.

LostDoggy
16-11-2009, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;126222]I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

Cor blimey!

Twodogs
17-11-2009, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;126222]I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

Cor blimey!

I've been thinking more about this over the last couple of days and it's a damn shame that Blakey isnt still playing. Then when he was chasing Sam Butler out of St Kilda's defence he could yell "I'll get you Butler"

Sedat
17-11-2009, 12:37 PM
John Rantall? Only saw the tail-end of his career so he might very well have been a top-shelf defender in his prime.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-11-2009, 04:37 PM

https://console.clubsonline.com.au/shopproducts/images/thumbnail/ABLETT%20Luke.jpg

https://console.clubsonline.com.au/shopproducts/images/thumbnail/PLAYFAIR%20Henry.jpg

Perhaps a bit harsh on Luke Ablett who was more than a serviceable player for the Sydney Swans. Hard to also overcome the famous Ablett name given the class of Gary senior and junior. Geoff Ablett was also a very good player.

Sockeye Salmon
17-11-2009, 07:58 PM
John Rantall? Only saw the tail-end of his career so he might very well have been a top-shelf defender in his prime.

Nah. Mopsy was a gun.

Rocco Jones
17-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Perhaps a bit harsh on Luke Ablett who was more than a serviceable player for the Sydney Swans. Hard to also overcome the famous Ablett name given the class of Gary senior and junior. Geoff Ablett was also a very good player.

Eker is not meant to be purely an insult. It just basically means having a relatively long AFL career (7-8 years+) without ever being a 'gun' player. While there are a lot of dud Ekers, there are a fair amount of solid, valuable types like Michael Doughty.

LostDoggy
18-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Eker is not meant to be purely an insult. It just basically means having a relatively long AFL career (7-8 years+) without ever being a 'gun' player. While there are a lot of dud Ekers, there are a fair amount of solid, valuable types like Michael Doughty.

Yeah. What he said.

The fact that Lukey got cut after 7-8 years and 120+ games on a list is PURE eker. Normally players with that pedigree are ready to take the next step and become AFL mainstays as part of the core of the team.

For Luke, however, it was an indication of how much he had squeezed out of a limited talent-base.

Twodogs
18-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Nah. Mopsy was a gun.

Yep. While it's fairly normal these days to have your best ball users off half back Rantall almost invented the position as it's used today. Before him half back flankers were best known for using elbows, mad stares and punches in the back of the head.

Rocco Jones
15-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Allowing mature aged players with AFL experience to be placed on rookie lists has been fantastic for the Eker movement. Today we saw some Ekers get another chance. Welcome back Skipper, Cam Cloke, Leigh Fisher, Newton, Meesen, Daniel Harris, Playfair and JON.

There is also another reason for Eker lovers to celebrate today. With the 1st pick in the PSD, Gold Coast obtained their first ever Eker in Daniel Harris. Congratulations to both club and player!

Here is the update list:

Gold Coast: Daniel Harris
Hawthorn: Wayde Skipper
Port Adelaide: Cameron Cloke
St.Kilda: Leigh Fisher
West Coast: Ashley Hansen
Western Bulldogs: Tim Callan

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I would have thought Hunt and Eagleton were better than ekers Rocco

Eagle kicked 3 in a semi final last year, Hunt a premiership winning back pocket

Rocco Jones
15-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I would have thought Hunt and Eagleton were better than ekers Rocco

Eagle kicked 3 in a semi final last year, Hunt a premiership winning back pocket

Yet another one who has misunderstood what the term means! :)

Eker does not mean you are a dud (although it helps), it just means you have never been a star.

Hunt a "premiership winning back pocket". Not sure how much of a better player that makes him. Aaron Keating was a premiership winning ruckman.

Bulldog Revolution
16-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Yet another one who has misunderstood what the term means! :)

Eker does not mean you are a dud (although it helps), it just means you have never been a star.

Hunt a "premiership winning back pocket". Not sure how much of a better player that makes him. Aaron Keating was a premiership winning ruckman.

Without being stars I view Hunt and Eagle as more talented than the level of players you have otherwise included

Wiggins, Brown and C Cloke - classic ekers IMO

Studentlib
16-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Is there any other industry other than politics where a supreme eker like Skipper can earn What? 3 to5 times or more the average wage for around a decade? and never look like being promoted from his casual/ on call position.

LostDoggy
16-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Is there any other industry other than politics where a supreme eker like Skipper can earn What? 3 to5 times or more the average wage for around a decade? and never look like being promoted from his casual/ on call position.

Academia.

Twodogs
16-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Academia.

Nah. They have tenure.

LostDoggy
16-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Nah. They have tenure.

Not always. I know guys who've been 'on the bench' (but earning quite a bit over the average wage, so don't feel too sorry for them) for over a decade -- doing post-doctorate research, tutoring pimply-faced undergrads, floating about on a casual contract or grant money while waiting for one of the old fogeys (who hog all the tenured posts, especially at the more 'prestigious' institutions/faculties) to retire or drop dead.

Warmed the bench for a while myself after finishing graduate school but left after realising that despite the freedom of not having set work hours (other than your teaching commitments) and an endless stream of good-looking postgrads passing through, it was ultimately a boring, dead-end job being on permanent reserve, ala Wayde Skipper.

Rocco Jones
16-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Without being stars I view Hunt and Eagle as more talented than the level of players you have otherwise included

Wiggins, Brown and C Cloke - classic ekers IMO

Geelong and us are going pretty well, who else do you suggest as Ekers?

Remember that longevity is a great trait for an Eker. Longevity - Ability = Eker

I also think you are overrating Josh Hunt. I wonder how highly you would rate him if he didn't play for Geelong. An ordinary player with a sweet gig imo.

Happy Days
16-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Leigh Fisher is still on St Kilda's list?

Surely not.

Rocco Jones
16-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Leigh Fisher is still on St Kilda's list?

Surely not.

A true Eker.

Will turn 26 next year and go into his 9th year on an AFL list despite only (or somehow) managing 55 games.

24-25 if probably the minimum age for an Eker.

I have had a think about it and have decided to change the official Bulldogs Eker.

He will turn 26 next year, next season will be his eight on an AFL list, he has only managed 33 games and has played for two clubs. Tim Callan, proud Eker.

Studentlib
17-12-2009, 09:52 AM
What pay and conditions would/should the average eker contract include?

Sedat
13-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Henry Playfair is the new 'eker' poster boy - most of us thought he was delisted 2 years ago. And with Skipper a chance to play for the Hawks this week, it's shaping up to be a massive weekend for the 'eker' movement.

EasternWest
13-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Henry Playfair is the new 'eker' poster boy - most of us thought he was delisted 2 years ago. And with Skipper a chance to play for the Hawks this week, it's shaping up to be a massive weekend for the 'eker' movement.

ha ha when I saw he was named I knew this thread would be dragged back to life. Nice work, Mr. Sir.

Rocco Jones
13-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Great work Sedat, a massive weekend for the Eker movement indeed.

Playfair and Skipper are almost at Eker legend status. They simply will not allow so called barriers such as a lack of talent and being delisted to stop them from having long AFL careers.

Godspeed to you both!

It isn't all good news in Eker land though. Melbourne's so called head Eker is on official notice. Mark Jamar you seem to think you are too good for just getting by and have arguably been the best ruckman outside of Sandilands this year. Very disappointing although last week's performance shows that all may not be lost.

Anyways Ekers, keep on with the motto: Just do it.

The Pie Man
13-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Anyways Ekers, keep on with the motto: Just do it.

haha reminds me of a few of my high school teachers....'all you're interested in is doing the bare minimum'

EasternWest
14-05-2010, 12:22 AM
haha reminds me of a few of my high school teachers....'all you're interested in is doing the bare minimum'

I work with a guy we call Justin Uff. Because he does just enough to get by.

Doc26
14-05-2010, 01:00 AM
They simply will not allow so called barriers such as a lack of talent and being delisted to stop them from having long AFL careers.

Trams aside, with nine years in the system, 100+ games, a delisting thrown in and sitting on Richmond's bench, Graham Polak must be pushing for Eker status.

Desipura
14-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Pods is an eker, 28 years old, was over looked by all clubs for 10 years, Sure he was not on a senior list for any real length of time. "oh wait, he is going alright";)

Sedat
14-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Skipper made the final team for his first match with the Hawks - at this rate, he'll notch his 50th AFL game by 2013.

All jokes aside, good luck to Wayde. He deserves a slice of good fortune.

EasternWest
15-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Skipper made the final team for his first match with the Hawks - at this rate, he'll notch his 50th AFL game by 2013.

All jokes aside, good luck to Wayde. He deserves a slice of good fortune.

Agreed. Good luck to the boy.

chef
15-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Adam McPhee would have to be an Eker. What a horrible footballer he is.

hujsh
15-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Adam McPhee would have to be an Eker. What a horrible footballer he is.

I think he won an AA at Essendon so that'd rule him out.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Got to say, Playfair provided some enjoyment today.

BulldogBelle
15-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Jordy is more eek than eke atm

Sedat
21-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Sad day for the Eker movement with the retirement of one of their favourite sons, The Bald Eagle. With Henry Playfair retiring earlier this season, and with Brad Miller's career currently in limbo, the Eker ranks have thinned somewhat. At least Wayde Skipper has stood firm for his fellow Ekers.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Sad day for the Eker movement with the retirement of one of their favourite sons, The Bald Eagle. With Henry Playfair retiring earlier this season, and with Brad Miller's career currently in limbo, the Eker ranks have thinned somewhat. At least Wayde Skipper has stood firm for his fellow Ekers.

An Eker is never too far away, Tim Callan could yet step up.

Rocco Jones
21-09-2010, 09:45 PM

This is a horrible time of the year for Ekers but as a few careers of our favourite stars end, we also have stagnate not so youngsters ready to replace them.

Good luck to Leigh Brown, Sean Dempster, Jason Blake and Andrew McQualter this week who will be representing the Ekers on the grandest stage of all on Saturday. They will be all fighting for the Shane Ellen medal awarded for the best performance by an Eker in an AFL Grand Final.

Can't wait for the night of all ordinary nights when the Luke 'Rhino' O'Sullivan medal is award for the Eker of 2010 as well as the All Eker side.

Rocco Jones
21-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I mentioned Jamar was on notice earlier in the season. Much like Harbrow, Jamar has turned his back on us when no one believed in him (including us but that's kinda the point). Mark Jamar suddenly thinks he is too good to be an Aker with his All-Australian selection and such. I hope having a quality career satisfies you Mark.

AndrewP6
21-09-2010, 10:13 PM
This is a horrible time of the year for Ekers but as a few careers of our favourite stars end, we also have stagnate not so youngsters ready to replace them.

Good luck to Leigh Brown, Sean Dempster, Jason Blake and Andrew McQualter this week who will be representing the Ekers on the grandest stage of all on Saturday. They will be all fighting for the Shane Ellen medal awarded for the best performance by an Eker in an AFL Grand Final.

Can't wait for the night of all ordinary nights when the Luke 'Rhino' O'Sullivan medal is award for the Eker of 2010 as well as the All Eker side.

Hahahah....Funny stuff RJ...

AndrewP6
21-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I mentioned Jamar was on notice earlier in the season. Much like Harbrow, Jamar has turned his back on us when no one believed in him (including us but that's kinda the point). Mark Jamar suddenly thinks he is too good to be an Aker with his All-Australian selection and such. I hope having a quality career satisfies you Mark.

When is his book coming out? :)

westdog54
21-09-2010, 10:58 PM

When is his book coming out? :)

Damn, beat me to it!!

I've been absolutely astounded by Leigh Brown this year. I don't think I've seen such an ordinary player become such a key in a potentially premiership winning side.

He is what all Ekers should aspire to.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Woops :o

Anyway, it is my honour and privilege to announce the 2010 Luke 'Rhino' O'Sullivan medal for the best and Ekerest player.

Mark Jamar has the best player who started the season as an Eker but his All-Australian form means he is no longer an Eker and therefore ineligible.

Coming in 2nd was Wayde Skipper who ended up a regular at the Hawks after years of doing very little at the Dogs.

But there was a standout for the award this season for me and that's Leigh Brown. At his third club, Brown has cemented his spot in the best team in the comp through typical Eker performances. He shows that you can perform without forgetting your Eker roots. Take note Mark Jamar.

2010 Luke 'Rhino' O'Sullivan medal

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/07/20/1225894/791147-collingwood-039-s-leigh-brown.jpg

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Here are the contenders for the Shane Ellen medal on Saturday for the best performance by an Eker in an AFL Grand Final.

Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown, Zac Dawson, Jason Blake, Brett Peake, Sean Dempster, Farren Ray, Andrew McQualter and Steve Baker.

The Saints sure do a lot for the Eker movement for back to back Grand Finalists.

Note: If an Eker so happens to win the Norm Smith they will automatically lose their Eker status and there be ineligible to win the Shane Ellen.

EasternWest
24-09-2010, 09:17 AM
You love this stuff Rocco. Just great work.

comrade
24-09-2010, 09:20 AM
2010 Luke 'Rhino' O'Sullivan medal

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/07/20/1225894/791147-collingwood-039-s-leigh-brown.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1016/1440496586_83c3becab9.jpg

comrade
24-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Well deserved....

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Here are the contenders for the Shane Ellen medal on Saturday for the best performance by an Eker in an AFL Grand Final.

Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown, Zac Dawson, Jason Blake, Brett Peake, Sean Dempster, Andrew McQualter and Steve Baker.

The Saints sure do a lot for the Eker movement for back to back Grand Finalists.

Note: If an Eker so happens to win the Norm Smith they will automatically lose their Eker status and there be ineligible to win the Shane Ellen.

Farren is an eker too isn't he? Or does his high draft pick render him ineligible?

Jason Blake for mine. Best bloke on that list by a mile too.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Farren is an eker too isn't he? Or does his high draft pick render him ineligible?

Jason Blake for mine. Best bloke on that list by a mile too.

Great work Lantern, you truly get what it means to be an Eker. Farren Ray is indeed an Eker.

Rocco Jones
24-09-2010, 11:31 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1016/1440496586_83c3becab9.jpg

Great work comrade!

Rocco Jones
26-09-2010, 09:23 PM
The inaugural Shane Ellen medal goes to Sean Dempster.

Dempster will be playing his 5th Grand Final this week, wow!

westdog54
27-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Are you following the AFL's lead and awarding a second O'Sullivan medal?

Rocco Jones
27-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Are you following the AFL's lead and awarding a second O'Sullivan medal?

The Rhino O'Sullivan medal is our Brownlow and the Shane Ellen is our Norm Smith. I will be awarding a second Shane Ellen medal indeed, so much to play for.

westdog54
27-09-2010, 11:05 PM
The Rhino O'Sullivan medal is our Brownlow and the Shane Ellen is our Norm Smith. I will be awarding a second Shane Ellen medal indeed, so much to play for.

I stand corrected.

Rocco Jones
28-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Cameron Cloke has been delisted by Port Power. :(

westdog54
28-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Cameron Cloke has been delisted by Port Power. :(

At a time when very few clubs will be looking for ruckmen

Rocco Jones
28-09-2010, 12:32 AM
At a time when very few clubs will be looking for ruckmen

Perhaps the Suns will pick him up as bait to lure Travis.

Nathan Ablett and Cameron Cloke can be like Johnny Drama off Entourage.

hujsh
28-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Perhaps the Suns will pick him up as bait to lure Travis.

That's Gold. Just too true.:D

Sedat
28-09-2010, 05:58 PM
At least Drama was the main man in 'Five Towns' :D

Rocco Jones
28-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Leigh Fisher has been delisted. :(

Rocco Jones
30-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Simon Wiggins retired today. Along with Ron Delulio he has made the number 34 at Carlton a truly great Eker number.

westdog54
01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Simon Wiggins was still listed?

I think its the ultimate in Ekerism when you've flown under the radar to the point where people forget you're still an AFL listed player

Mantis
01-10-2010, 11:41 AM

I think its the ultimate in Ekerism when you've flown under the radar to the point where people forget you're still an AFL player

Changed that to listed player.

He didn't play an AFL game this year.

westdog54
01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Changed that to listed player.

He didn't play an AFL game this year.

Duly noted

Rocco Jones
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM

I think its the ultimate in Ekerism when you've flown under the radar to the point where people forget you're still an AFL listed player

It's called the Eker stealth mode, an art only known by the truly great Ekers.

hujsh
01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
It's called the Eker stealth mode, an art only known by the truly great Ekers.

Playfair the best recent eker at this technique.

Greystache
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Playfair the best recent eker at this technique.

A quality Eker, I would have him alongside Timmy Callan as the Eker of the noughties.

68 games and taken in the same draft as Chris Judd who should play his 200th in round 2 next year, Bravo!

gohardorgohome
01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Zeno Tzatzaris and Robert Captain Groenewegen were two of our best Ekers of the 80s.

Greystache
01-10-2010, 02:08 PM
It's a pity Matthew Hannebery wasn't a better Eker!!

ledge
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Even though he was a number one draft pick I think Fraser at Collingwood is an eker, never dominated a game in his life or did anything to warrant that selection. Seemed to struggle to keep in the side.
Managed 200 games.

jazzadogs
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
All honour, Tim Callan.

Pick no 36 (father/son) in the 2002 National Draft.

Retires 8 years later with a mere 34 games to his name. His last three games were all finals.

An Eker of the highest order.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Simon Wiggins retired today. Along with Ron Delulio he has made the number 34 at Carlton a truly great Eker number.

An eker of the highest order, i still remember a game where he kicked 3-4 against us, if ever there was a sure sign we were going to lose Wiggins was it

Retire in Peace Chief

EasternWest
04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
An eker of the highest order, i still remember a game where he kicked 3-4 against us, if ever there was a sure sign we were going to lose Wiggins was it

Retire in Peace Chief

That was his hundredth game and we were six goals up at halftime. We made Nick Stevens look like a thoroughbred that day.

Rocco Jones
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Zac Dawson gets the Shane Ellen medal for the GF replay after his job on Cloke.

With list lodgments not too far away, we will see a massive changing of the Eker guard.

hujsh
05-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Zac Dawson gets the Shane Ellen medal for the GF replay after his job on Cloke.

With list lodgments not too far away, we will see a massive changing of the Eker guard.

This is always a dangerous time of year for ekers in the AFL. For those not in the AFL right now its a great time.

Greystache
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
The Ekers have lost another with news big man Jason Laycock has been delisted by the Bombers.

Selection 10 in the 2002 draft, Laycock managed 58 games in 7 seasons including a grand total of 0 in the past 2. Jason we salute you!

AndrewP6
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
The Ekers have lost another with news big man Jason Laycock has been delisted by the Bombers.

Selection 10 in the 2002 draft, Laycock managed 58 games in 7 seasons including a grand total of 0 in the past 2. Jason we salute you!

Off topic, who is it in your avatar?

Greystache
06-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Off topic, who is it in your avatar?

Vezpremi (although I cleverly made it appear he was wearing a Bulldogs geurnsey!)

AndrewP6
06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Vezpremi (although I cleverly made it appear he was wearing a Bulldogs geurnsey!)

Ah, no wonder I didn't recognise it! Nice....

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 04:33 AM
This is always a dangerous time of year for ekers in the AFL.

True, but it is also the time when two of history's greatest Ekers get to shine!

http://www.squareball.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rickynixon-player.jpg

Ricky Nixon

Carlton 1983-1985, 4 games, 1 goal
St Kilda 1986-1991 51 games, 32 goals
Hawthorn 1992-1993 8 games, 6 goals

That's an eleven year career at three clubs for sixty three games. And he actually left St Kilda because of a contract dispute. The man was magnificent.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/12/wbFOOTYkelly_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Craig (Ned) Kelly

Collingwood 1989-1996, 122 games, 43 goals

He pinched and he punched on every day of the month and his own teammates have claimed that no player in history has played more games with less talent.

Any Eker who uses any other manager is a fool. These two have been there, done that, and are still bloody prospering twenty years later.

Is it any wonder that Ricky Olarenshaw moved into player management?

Mitcha
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Surely Liam Pickering gets a guernsey???????

Rocco Jones
07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
True, but it is also the time when two of history's greatest Ekers get to shine!

http://www.squareball.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rickynixon-player.jpg

Ricky Nixon

That's an eleven year career at three clubs for sixty three games. And he actually left St Kilda because of a contract dispute. The man was magnificent.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/12/wbFOOTYkelly_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Craig (Ned) Kelly

He pinched and he punched on every day of the month and his own teammates have claimed that no player in history has played more games with less talent.

Any Eker who uses any other manager is a fool. These two have been there, done that, and are still bloody prospering twenty years later.

Great work!

I was going to ask fellow Eker fans to make nominations for our Eker Hall of Ordinariness. Luke O'Sullivan and Jayson Daniels are the original members and I am inculding Ricky Nixon in as well.

Doc26
07-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Ricky Nixon

Craig (Ned) Kelly

A ripper of a post Rocket, you can almost add Marty Pask to that list for ekeing himself into player management.

AndrewP6
07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
A ripper of a post Rocket, you can almost add Marty Pask to that list.

I wouldn't have said his Ekeristic powers reached the highest highs (or the most mediocre), he never got a guernsey before being delisted by the Dogs...although he is a player agent extraordinaire now ;)

Greystache
07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I feel we need to take a moment to appreciate a much underrated Eker- Todd Ridley

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/square_150/1995/11/27/25324.jpg

Essendon (1991-1994)
25 games, 21 goals

Fremantle (1995-1996)
21 games, 16 goals

Hawthorn (1997)
2 games, 0 goals

7 seasons, 3 clubs, less than 50 games. Also has a claim to fame of being Fremantle football club's first goal kicker.

LostDoggy
09-10-2010, 04:04 AM
I was going to ask fellow Eker fans to make nominations for our Eker Hall of Ordinariness. Luke O'Sullivan and Jayson Daniels are the original members and I am inculding Ricky Nixon in as well.

Brilliant Rocco; Ricky N. truly deserves his place in the Eker Hall of Ordinariness.

If I may be so bold as to nominate another:

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/square_150/2001/03/20/166773.jpg

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/square_150/2001/07/22/21568.jpg

Anthony Rock

North Melbourne 1988 - 1998, 178 games, 138 goals
Hawthorn 1999 - 2001, 44 games, 17 goals

Discovering exactly how Rocky's career lasted 222 games over fourteen seasons at two clubs would require a greater scientific undertaking than the human genome project; especially when considering his 175cm stature and that his most memorable contributions to footy were being a sex symbol to the toothless old moles at North Melbourne and the publicity he sought for the tattoo on his arse.

Oh Rocky, in my youth, how I hated thee; but I am man enough to put old prejudices aside to see that you are given the rightful recognition you deserve.

The Eker Hall of Ordinariness will be a better place with A. Rock in it.

Desipura
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Is Lance Piccione on here, surely he must be?

comrade
09-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Brilliant Rocco; Ricky N. truly deserves his place in the Eker Hall of Ordinariness.

If I may be so bold as to nominate another:

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/square_150/2001/03/20/166773.jpg

Anthony Rock

North Melbourne 1988 - 1998, 178 games, 138 goals
Hawthorn 1999 - 2001, 44 games, 17 goals

The Eker Hall of Ordinariness will be a better place with A. Rock in it.

He's eked his way into coaching jobs despite showing no real aptitude. Extra points for extending your football career beyond the field.

Sedat
12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-throw-miller-lifeline/story-e6frf9jf-1225937599112

Great day for the Eker movement with Brad Miller set to get a career lifeline. Long may he continue to make his searching leads to nowhere in particular for another year at least.

azabob
12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I nominate Marcus North.

hujsh
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I nominate Marcus North.

Had a similar thought the other day. This would be the first cricketer nominee?

Seconded.

azabob
12-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Seconded.

Yeah I think it is, as soon as I heard he'd made a hundred the other day this thread is what I first thought of.

westdog54
14-10-2010, 12:09 AM

Seconded.

Its funny, because top-level cricket is supposed to be hard to break into, you wouldn't think (or hope for that matter) that there would be an eker among them. Then along comes Marcus North.

hujsh
14-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Its funny, because top-level cricket is supposed to be hard to break into, you wouldn't think (or hope for that matter) that there would be an eker among them. Then along comes Marcus North.

That's what makes him so amazing and gives me hope for my football career.

ReLoad
14-10-2010, 08:27 AM
I would like to nominate probably one of the Greatest Ekers of our era.

none other than the great

Clive Waterhouse:
http://heraldsunonline.com.au/files/draft/clive-waterhouse.jpg
http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/images/ONToCWaterhouse.jpg

In November 1995, Fremantle used its number 1 selection in the National Draft to procure the exciting 20 year old who initially found the high expectations associated with his elevated ranking difficult to come to terms with. ( A classic symptom of being an Eker!)

However, after playing just 11 games in his debut season with the Dockers he began to perform with more conviction in 1996, leaving little doubt as to his enormous natural ability, and suggesting that he only needed to add a touch of consistency to his make up in order to become a genuine champion.
(Again at some point and Eker should be compared with the word Champion)

Unfortunately, his career has been beset by frequent injuries, some niggling, others - as in the the case of the severely damaged knee which saw him miss the entire 2002 season - more serious. Given that Waterhouse was spending so much time either on the sidelines completely, or playing in the WAFL with Claremont, it was no real surprise when, at the end of the 2004 season, the Dockers finally lost patience with him, and he was delisted. Returning to South Australia, he lined up in 2005 with Port Adelaide Magpies.
(What a better place to finish ones career as an Eker?)

(excerpt from fullpointsfooty.net)

Rocco Jones
14-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Loving the replies guys.

I think a true cricketing and sporting Eker is Nick Jewell. Marcus North is a funny one, definitely an Eker at international level but very good to gun range at first class level where he has spent most of his career.

Sockeye Salmon
14-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Can a no. 1 draft pick be an Eker?

What about Steven Sziller? Somehow managed to play 156 games

Brownlow Medal - R7, 1999
St.K v WC

3. B. Hall (St.K)
2. S. Sziller (St.K)
1. R. Harvey (St. K)

Greystache
14-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Loving the replies guys.

I think a true cricketing and sporting Eker is Nick Jewell. Marcus North is a funny one, definitely an Eker at international level but very good to gun range at first class level where he has spent most of his career.

I just can't go past Geoff Marsh for cricketing Ekers. He managed to Eke out 50 tests, for 4 hundreds and a strike rate of a staggering 35.13. In true Eker fashion he only had one shot (the square cut) yet somehow managed to get his hands on the Vice-Captaincy due to his spiritual contribution to the team, a characteristic of a true Eker.

Topdog
14-10-2010, 11:51 AM

not just break into but somehow hold onto the spot.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 12:00 PM
not just break into but somehow hold onto the spot.

You'll bet that the rationale has something to do with the 'leadership' and 'dressing-room culture' that he brings to the team. Well then, make him head cheerleader or something, but get someone in there that will actually make a couple of runs and take a few wickets.

I don't know about you, but a certain C.White would be a good starting point.

hujsh
14-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't know about you, but a certain C.White would be a good starting point.

Don't you get the feeling he'd get dropped for Damien Martyn though?

I really hope White get's half as many chances as North has to be fair to the guy.

Greystache
14-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't you get the feeling he'd get dropped for Damien Martyn though?

I really hope White get's half as many chances as North has to be fair to the guy.

I personally get the feeling there's a fair bit of insecurity among the leadrship group about White. Not so much in the Test scene, but certainly in the Twenty/20 and ODI arenas.

Edit- We're getting away from the theme of the thread, but I doubt Rocco will mind the additional post count!

hujsh
14-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I personally get the feeling there's a fair bit of insecurity among the leadrship group about White. Not so much in the Test scene, but certainly in the Twenty/20 and ODI arenas.

How so? That he'll surpass them or take their spot?

Greystache
14-10-2010, 03:22 PM
How so? That he'll surpass them or take their spot?

He'll surpass them in the leadership rankings and take their positions.

hujsh
14-10-2010, 03:23 PM
He'll surpass them in the leadership rankings and take their positions.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Its funny, because top-level cricket is supposed to be hard to break into, you wouldn't think (or hope for that matter) that there would be an eker among them.

If you think back...

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/78958042.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA9C811467C8668046210A60691E E2A745A9F0F86B2CFDFE48

you might find...

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/79649252.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C658806EF1E8DEC56C237F8156ECAE8 83FC415CAEAACEED08D90F

more than a few Ekers...

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/79648400.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C65881DD02022B376737299C34CE572 B9FADD9F2CA583692F22C8

who have worn the baggy green.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/07/11/mikewhitney_narrowweb__200x247.jpg

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I would like to nominate probably one of the Greatest Ekers of our era.

none other than the great

Clive Waterhouse

I'd like to second that nomination. I've long felt that Fremantle and the Bulldogs should compete each year for the Whitten Waterhouse Cup.

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 07:44 PM
After Richmond announced their delistings today, a future Eker Hall-of-Famer has escaped the chop once again -- Jake King, take a bow. Has a less talented player played as many roles as Jake the Rake has? His capacity for reinventing himself constantly despite having little to no variety in his skillset is practically Madonna-esque.. how many ways can you do/say the same thing and call it something different? Madonna has been doing it for 4 decades, so Jake has a bit of catching up to do, but becoming a 'defensive forward' as his latest chameleon trick is as good a place to start as any.

westdog54
14-10-2010, 10:08 PM
We must now say goodbye to another Eker.

Leigh Harding, who made Rocco's original Eker list, has announced his retirement.

89 Games and 123 Goals in a career spanning 10 years.

westdog54
14-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Mick Martyn? Or am I being harsh?

Mantis
15-10-2010, 09:08 AM
We must now say goodbye to another Eker.

Leigh Harding, who made Rocco's original Eker list, has announced his retirement.

89 Games and 123 Goals in a career spanning 10 years.

141 games & 157 goals... but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

Topdog
15-10-2010, 11:45 AM
A Carlton eker retired aswell but his name escapes me.....Hadley?

Sockeye Salmon
15-10-2010, 11:51 AM
A Carlton eker retired aswell but his name escapes me.....Hadley?

I reckon Hadley is the anti-Eker.

He was pretty talented and yet only managed 60 or so games and wasn't really around that long.

Greystache
15-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I reckon Hadley is the anti-Eker.

He was pretty talented and yet only managed 60 or so games and wasn't really around that long.

He was mentioned only last year as one of "the Big 4" in Carlton's midefield by James Hird, let's hope this insight continues into his coaching. :rolleyes:

Sedat
15-10-2010, 02:50 PM
After Richmond announced their delistings today, a future Eker Hall-of-Famer has escaped the chop once again -- Jake King, take a bow. Has a less talented player played as many roles as Jake the Rake has? His capacity for reinventing himself constantly despite having little to no variety in his skillset is practically Madonna-esque.. how many ways can you do/say the same thing and call it something different? Madonna has been doing it for 4 decades, so Jake has a bit of catching up to do, but becoming a 'defensive forward' as his latest chameleon trick is as good a place to start as any.
Cracking good nomination. Jake King has probably extracted the longest AFL career in inverse proportion to his actual talent since Andy Goodwin was running around as one of the pioneers of the Eker movement.

He even got a jumper upgrade from 46 to 28 for his troubles. Long may he continue to physically and verbally torment Didak and still eventually get torched in the other direction.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 05:07 PM
He even got a jumper upgrade from 46 to 28 for his troubles. Long may he continue to physically and verbally torment Didak and still eventually get torched in the other direction.

And Travis Cloke.

I love it when King plays against us.

Rocco Jones
17-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Hawthorn: Wayde Skipper
Port Adelaide: Cameron Cloke
St.Kilda: Leigh Fisher
West Coast: Ashley Hansen
Western Bulldogs: Tim Callan

Eight of the 16 Eker club representatives are gone, with Hansen likely to make it nine. This is a horrible time indeed for our cause.

Wiggins, Harding, Playfair and Callan have 'retired', Leigh Fisher, McMahon and Cameron Cloke have been delisted and Jamar is no longer an Eker due to his All-Australian selection.

Rocco Jones
18-10-2010, 07:05 PM
hzv0TSSDgU

Doc26
18-10-2010, 09:39 PM
How does Koshitzke manage to fly under the Eker radar ? Might not look an Eker in the true spirit of Ekemanship but has played his career out like the finest of Ekers.

Rocco Jones
18-10-2010, 09:44 PM
How does Koshitzke manage to fly under the Eker radar ? Might not look an Eker in the true spirit of Ekemanship but has played his career like one.

Close but I think his very shot peak period was too 'star' like for an Eker. The majority of his career has definitely been Ekerish.

LostDoggy
19-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Close but I think his very shot peak period was too 'star' like for an Eker. The majority of his career has definitely been Ekerish.

This should be one of the criteria for ekerdom -- most of your highly-rated ekers on this thread have had short star periods (Farren's one great final vs. Collingwood for example) and then managed to eke out half a decade or more on the fringes of AFL lists as coach after coach try to rekindle what they are sure they saw in those few wonderful moments.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 05:17 PM
We can now add Wayde Skipper to this destinguished list- A big hearted Eker with very little talent. As tends to be the Eker way, his last season of AFL football was easily his best.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104274/default.aspx

We salute you Wayde!

Rocco Jones
19-10-2010, 06:56 PM
This should be one of the criteria for ekerdom -- most of your highly-rated ekers on this thread have had short star periods (Farren's one great final vs. Collingwood for example) and then managed to eke out half a decade or more on the fringes of AFL lists as coach after coach try to rekindle what they are sure they saw in those few wonderful moments.

Haha, yeah I think Kosi's peak was a lot stronger than Ray's (and while short, it did last more than one game!).

A very sad day losing Wayde Skipper :(

comrade
19-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Wayde Skipper.

Greystache
19-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Where do you think he'll end up?

I think the new interchange rule has made Wayde a more appealing option they he may have otherwise been.

comrade
19-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Where do you think he'll end up?

I think the new interchange rule has made Wayde a more appealing option they he may have otherwise been.

Yup, I'd be very suprised if he wasn't on a list next year. If we offloaded Will we may have even had a look :D

G-Mo77
19-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Chance for the veterans list?

chef
19-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Chance for the veterans list?

He would have to come back onto our list for the next 3 seasons before he would be eligible.

He would just get in the way of Roughead, Cordy and Prato's development.

G-Mo77
19-10-2010, 09:59 PM
He would have to come back onto our list for the next 3 seasons before he would be eligible.

He would just get in the way of Roughead, Cordy and Prato's development.

I wasn't being serious. :o

Didn't we draft him in 2000 though? If that is the case then for arguments sake we re-drafted him this year wouldn't he be eligable.

chef
19-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I wasn't being serious. :o

Didn't we draft him in 2000 though? If that is the case then for arguments sake we re-drafted him this year wouldn't he be eligable.

:oMy bad.

Rocco Jones
20-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Another Eker bites the dust, Brad Fisher this time. :(

Greystache
20-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Another Eker bites the dust, Brad Fisher this time. :(

Oh dear, we're losing them at a rate of knots this year, we may even need to view mire harshly what constitutes an Eker. :eek:

Mitcha
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Apparently for some reason Michael Newton has been given another season at Melbourne on the rookie list, defies logic, surely the new King of Ekerdom.

Rocco Jones
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Apparently for some reason Michael Newton has been given another season at Melbourne on the rookie list, defies logic, surely the new King of Ekerdom.

Go Juice!

Sedat
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Chris from Camberwell will be the happiest man on radio

Sedat
23-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Congratulations on the new additions to the eker hall of fame, Matt Spangher, Ryan Gamble and Dean Polo. Congrats also to Danny Meyer who has been upgraded to Port's main list and looks set for at least another year of ekerdom.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 12:41 PM
If Mitch is rookied would he join the ranks of the ekers? A new type of entry -- a formerly AFL worthy player, now no longer, but still eke-ing out a spot on an AFL list through sheer creativity of the football department and glaring loopholes in AFL administration; how a player who has played over 200 games and is a life member of the club qualifies as a 'rookie' is beyond comprehension.

EasternWest
23-11-2010, 01:41 PM
If Mitch is rookied would he join the ranks of the ekers? A new type of entry -- a formerly AFL worthy player, now no longer, but still eke-ing out a spot on an AFL list through sheer creativity of the football department and glaring loopholes in AFL administration; how a player who has played over 200 games and is a life member of the club qualifies as a 'rookie' is beyond comprehension.

Too convoluted. And I could never bring myself to call Mitch and eker. I just couldn't.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Too convoluted. And I could never bring myself to call Mitch and eker. I just couldn't.

Could you bring yourself to call a 29-year old Mitch with 180 AFL games a 'rookie'? That's just as far-fetched.

hujsh
23-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Definitely an eker if he's rookied. He's 'eking' out another season so he must be an eker.

EasternWest
23-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Could you bring yourself to call a 29-year old Mitch with 180 AFL games a 'rookie'? That's just as far-fetched.

True. Sorry I meant to comment on that in my first reply.

Definitely an eker if he's rookied. He's 'eking' out another season so he must be an eker.

I.... Just.... Can't....

Sedat
23-11-2010, 05:26 PM
If we rookie Ed Barlow, he will be a worthy addition to the eker list for 2011

Sedat
01-12-2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105792/default.aspx

Does a leadership group promotion automatically exclude a player from Eker status? Well done to Schulz on resurrecting his almost dead career but I'm not sure a key forward can be described as a 'revelation in attack' and kick only 33 goals for the season?

ledge
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Well it is Port they are over the top and 33goals from one player is a revelation to them, who else did they have?

comrade
01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105792/default.aspx

Does a leadership group promotion automatically exclude a player from Eker status? Well done to Schulz on resurrecting his almost dead career but I'm not sure a key forward can be described as a 'revelation in attack' and kick only 33 goals for the season?

You secretly fist pumped the air when you read this, didn't you?

God help us if Spangher has a good season...

:D

LostDoggy
02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
So if a player manages to be a consistent Eker and then is cut from the list because the Club want a younger Eker , and this Senior Eker then signs up to play State League and wins a Grand Final is he then a Post Eker Peaker ? :confused: :)

Rocco Jones
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
The rookie draft can be the making of some great Ekers. It is the Eker spring to the harsh winter that is the list lodgment period.

Before I announce each club's new leading Eker going into 2011, let me go over what makes an Eker once again.

The term Eker can often be completely synonymous with being a dud. Whilst the elite Ekers keep on going for as long as possible with the minimal talent possible, a player can still be an Eker and a serviceable type, even semi-decent.

It's not so much about being a dud as it is about not being a star, ever. Once an Eker is undone there is no going back, he's looking at you Mark Jamar! AA nominations, being regarded as a 'star' over the course of a season and winning a B&F (Baker not included), that kinda stuff. Michael Doughty is a pretty good example of the serviceable Eker.

Another factor that helps your Eker cause is playing for multiple clubs, especially after being delisted and even more especially when you spend time on a rookie list. The new training squad list thingy adds even more to potential Eker greatness.

So here goes...

Crows- Micahel Doughty: He proves being an Eker doesn't mean you have to be an absolute dud. Doughty will turn 32 next year and has made a career out of being serviceable year in, year out. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lions- Xavier Clarke: Yep, he is still on an AFL list.

Blues- Bret Thornton: Don't players get a life membership at their club after 10 years of service? Not sure if what he does is service but he gets there numerically.

Pies- Leigh Brown: All hail Leigh Brown, King of the Ekers.

Bombers- Nathan Lovett-Murray: Turns 29 next year, turning into one of the Eker greats.

Freo- Antoni Grover: 31 next year. I am in awe at how many years in the system some of these guys have had.

Cats- Tom Lonergan: Just gets the nod over Josh Hunt.

Suns- Nathan Ablett: Was going to go with Daniel Harris but surviving as an accessory item is all kinds of Eker awesomeness.

Hawks- Paul Johnson*: Yep, that's an * near his name. Just found out today that the AFL has created a special training squad or the like which is oh so exciting for Ekers. He has until the end of the NAB Cup to earn a rookie list spot, hence the *. If he survives, he will become an instant Eker legend after getting to his third club.

Dees- Michael Newton: 'Juice' might be on the young side for an Eker but his 'talent base' more than makes up for it.

North- Aaron Edwards: Just gets in ahead of Frittio and Pratt, close one that.

Power- Danny Meyer: Gets in over his fellow Tigower Eker brother in Schulz. Danny has Eker legend written all over him.

Tigers- Brad Miller: Nuff said.

Saints- Jason Blake: Ross Lyon is to Ekers what Oscar Schindler was to the Jews during the holocaust. You are a great friend to the cause Ross.

Swans- Paul Bevan: Another one who is silently entering Eker legendary status.

Eagles- Brett Jones: Takes over from the great Ashley Hansen who was delisted at the eleventh hour.

Dogs- Ed Barlow: Just gets in over one the brightest young Ekers the movement has ever seen in James Mulligan.

Topdog
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
thornton has been in the AFL for 10 years??? my goodness.

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2010, 01:52 AM
hawks- paul johnson*: yep, that's an * near his name. Just found out today that the afl has created a special training squad

wtf?

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Ross Lyon is to Ekers what Oscar Schindler was to the Jews during the holocaust. You are a great friend to the cause Ross.

Champagne comedy.

Rocco Jones
08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
wtf?

It should read training squad list. Basically means you can draft 2/3 players at the end of the rookie draft to battle it out for 1/2 rookie spot/s.

aker39
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Dees- Michael Newton: 'Juice' might be on the young side for an Eker but his 'talent base' more than makes up for it.

Regular talkback listeners will know that this man is Chris from Camberwell's all time favourite player.

EasternWest
08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Harsh on Blake. He's a good athlete that's made himself a footballer. Oh wait, that's the very definition. Carry on.

Maddog37
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
This is my favouritest thread ever. Just great to read.:)

LostDoggy
22-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Controversy has struck WOOF's most prestigious institution.

Can ordinary behaviour get you kicked out of the Eker Hall of Ordinariness, Rocco?

Nobody ekes out a ten year career in the glare of the media spotlight.

I guess, come retirement, some good Ekers can go bad.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Here is an update on how the leading club Ekers are going..

Crows- Micahel Doughty: Keeps on Eking.

Lions- Xavier Clarke: Being an Eker is a bit like being a daredevil. Fine line between greatness and death. I fear this Eker's days are limited but ironically, that's what makes him a great Eker at the moment.

Blues- Bret Thornton: Playing in a top 3 side. An out and out Eker.

Pies- Leigh Brown: The winner of the 2010 Rhino keeps on going satisfactorily.

Bombers- Nathan Lovett-Murray: A true great of the cause.

Freo- Antoni Grover: The typical Eker full back.

Cats- Tom Lonergan: Along with Hunt he leads the Eker cause at the Cattery. Tomahawk is eyeing them off though.

Suns- Nathan Ablett: The Prince Harry of the AFL.

Hawks- Paul Johnson: Survived via being drafted onto the special training list section of the rookie list. At his 3rd club. Special stuff there.

Dees- Michael Newton: Another young Eker with an ordinary future ahead of him.

North- Aaron Edwards: Just gets in ahead of Frittio and Pratt, close one that.

Power- Danny Meyer: Doing so well that I couldn't remember him before coming back to this thread.

Tigers- Brad Miller: Eker legend. The favourite to win this year's Rhino.

Saints- Jason Blake: Another Eker legend.

Swans- Paul Bevan: Another one who might be lost to the cause at the end of the year.

Eagles- Brett Jones: As above.

Dogs- Ed Barlow: The Dogs have a growing list of young Ekers. Ed leads potential great future Ekers like Mulligan, Stack, Addison, Djerrkura and Markovic.

comrade
28-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Is Michael Newton seriously still on Melbourne's list?

Touched by an (eker) angel.

azabob
28-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Is Michael Newton seriously still on Melbourne's list?

Touched by an (eker) angel.

Not only on the list but he has played senior footy this year.

AndrewP6
28-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Dogs- Ed Barlow: The Dogs have a growing list of young Ekers. Ed leads potential great future Ekers like Mulligan, Stack, Addison, Djerrkura and Markovic.

Will he be able to stick around long enough to get the Eker certificate? Can one be an Eker without having actually played a game?

comrade
28-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Can one be an Eker without having actually played a game?

Yes, in fact it makes him a potential Eker Hall of Famer.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Will he be able to stick around long enough to get the Eker certificate? Can one be an Eker without having actually played a game?

Yep, the less games, the better.

The Eker formula= Years in the AFL / output

Ghost Dog
28-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, in fact it makes him a potential Eker Hall of Famer.

I love this thread. :D

AndrewP6
28-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Yep, the less games, the better.

The Eker formula= Years in the AFL / output

OK, my mistake. In that case, I'm going to go all out with a "Don't play Mulligan campaign"...

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I forgot to ever post this but I am changing the conditions of being The Rhino. It will now be given once lists have been completed after the rookie list draft to the player who demonstrates the greatest Eker like qualities in surviving.

This means Leigh Brown has retrospectively lost his Rhino for 2010. His above standard form goes against the vibe of the whole thing. Here are the retrospective winners for the years that the Eker movement has been formalised.

2009-Wayde Skipper staying on Dogs list for years then surviving delisting with Hawks picking him up

2010-Paul Johnson drafted to his third club via the special training squad rookie list. Ironically, he might have take the previous Rhino winners spot on the list.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2011, 12:23 AM
With a two year contract, Hooper is being groomed as WB Eker Champion. Sam Ried?

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 12:27 AM
With a two year contract, Hooper is being groomed as WB Eker Champion. Sam Ried?

Yep. Hooper and Reid for different reasons are definitely plateau and coming (get it? the Eker up and coming, ha!) Ekers.

DJ has a 3 year contract too.

Greystache
29-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Honourable mentions to-

Sydney- Mark Seaby

Freo- Jonathan Griffin, Kepler Bradley

Geelong- Mark Blake

Hawthorn- Tom Murphy

Melbourne- Matthew Warnock

West Coast- Brad Dalziell

And potential Eker rising star Essendon's Scott Gumbleton.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Honourable mentions to-

Sydney- Mark Seaby

Freo- Jonathan Griffin, Kepler Bradley

Geelong- Mark Blake

Hawthorn- Tom Murphy

Melbourne- Matthew Warnock

West Coast- Brad Dalziell

And potential Eker rising star Essendon's Scott Gumbleton.

Brilliant Greystache.

I'd like to suggest that Blake has surpassed all at Geelong and become one of the league's great Ekers.

As Rocco has pointed out, the Eker formula is:

Years in the AFL / Output.

Now it's common knowledge that a Journeyman Eker is far more renowned than a Club Servant Eker, meaning that 'Years in the AFL' is weighted on how many teams a potential Eker has played for.

But what about 'Output'?

If you look at Blake's complete lack of influence and staggeringly little improvement over his 7 year, 99 game career, you'd think he was just a promising Eker who could one day attain glory if he hangs around a while longer.

But Blake's output needs to be measured not just by his contribution on the field, but by his total influence at that club. To keep him at a time when he had currency, Geelong were forced to lose Stephen King (44 games for St Kilda in three years); and his expensive long term contract meant that they could not afford to keep Shane Mumford (29 games for Sydney to date including a nominee for the All Australian Team in 2010).

This is an Eker that Geelong has bled for.

His formula becomes:

7 Years / (Bugger All - a sad end to the career of a favourite son - a leg up to St Kilda - an assistant coach at St Kilda - the long term career of one of the best ruckmen in the AFL)

That's pretty hard to beat.

My hat's off to him.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree TR. Mark Blake is the new Geelong leading Eker.

And Greystache, the term is Plateauing Star.

Greystache
29-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Ah of course it is, sorry Rocco.

azabob
29-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Rocco, I'd like to nominate Jeff Gieshen.
Not sure how good he was as a player but as a coach and now umpires boss he is surely Eker legend status for off field achievements, well lack of.

Topdog
29-05-2011, 03:30 PM
wow, left field nomination for sure but I think it is a great one.

Maddog37
29-05-2011, 04:18 PM
That really opens the game up then. Peter Rhode, Neil Daniher, Chris Connelly etc etc.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I love the lateral thinking guys. Tony Elshaug would be perfect if he didn't resign from the Saints. Still, he had a great time as an eker.

westdog54
29-05-2011, 06:18 PM
You want left field, I'll give you left field: I nominate James Sherry.

I grew up watching James on Saturday Disney as a youngster. From there he hosted kids game show A*Mazing for many many years, and was then not heard from for a very long time, until emerging as the game day MC at Docklands, where he continues to do some reasonable work.

Would be well into his 40s now I would suspect but still plugging away, making a living.

AndrewP6
29-05-2011, 10:44 PM

I grew up watching James on Saturday Disney as a youngster. From there he hosted kids game show A*Mazing for many many years, and was then not heard from for a very long time, until emerging as the game day MC at Docklands, where he continues to do some reasonable work.

Would be well into his 40s now I would suspect but still plugging away, making a living.

I find him really, really irritating. I enjoy watching the big screens in the Victory Room, for the simple fact that I can't hear him.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 10:46 PM

Hahahaha, genius! That is absolute gold.

James Sherry should be the MC for the most ordinary night of nights, The Rhino!

westdog54
30-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Glad he meets with your approval.

While I'm on a roll, for the Journo covering the 'Rhino', I nominate Mark Doran. Boundary rider for 7 for many years before they lost the coverage, his own show on SEN for a couple of years before he was canned, back to being a footy reporter on 7 News. Still getting by.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2011, 08:31 PM

While I'm on a roll, for the Journo covering the 'Rhino', I nominate Mark Doran. Boundary rider for 7 for many years before they lost the coverage, his own show on SEN for a couple of years before he was canned, back to being a footy reporter on 7 News. Still getting by.

Hahaha, you definitely have a knack for this. Loving your work!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Ringo Starr

ledge
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
No disrespect and I loved the guy, Bill Hunter, seemed like he was in every Aussie movie ever made for 30 years but never seemed to get a huge part or a big mention.
P.S I was saying this to friends over the last 5 years that I thought he was the true Australian actor, never left Australia to become a mercanary, just plugged away in the good old reliable Australian way.
A true eker for 30 years or more.

Sedat
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Craing Willis has eked a good 25 year career in the AFL doing very little apart from making various announcements into a microphone.

jazzadogs
01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Craing Willis has eked a good 25 year career in the AFL doing very little apart from making various announcements into a microphone.
Not only that, but he sometimes gets flown from the afternoon match in one state, to the night match in another, to do the announcements (pretty sure it happened on Anzac Day this year). Surely there are other people who can do the job. It's not exactly an elite field.

westdog54
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Saints- Jason Blake: Ross Lyon is to Ekers what Oscar Schindler was to the Jews during the holocaust. You are a great friend to the cause Ross.

I just re read that post properly and had to try very hard not to burst out laughing as the little one is having her afternoon nap.

Absolute quality.

LostDoggy
05-06-2011, 02:44 AM

If we are going for Journo's can we add Jason Bennett to the list. He eked out an appauling foxsports career and is now eking for the NFL. I call eker due to the impressive lack of impact on the footy public he managed in his various enterprises. Eked out a truely aweful interview show the name of which I have thankfully blanked from my mind.... :eek:

Rocco Jones
06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Well done to Jay Schulz. 7 goals on the weekend and signed a contract today.

Keep on Ekin'!

westdog54
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Keep on Ekin'!

Didn't he play a similar match when he was at the Tigers? kicked a massive bag, may have been 7 as well IIRC. Could even have been against the Lions too.

Sedat
08-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Keep on Ekin'!
Been a good week for 'my boys'. Schulz gets another contract while Spangher makes his long-awaited debut for the Swans, which will only be his 27th game since being drafted in 2005 - in true eker fashion he has a contract next season as well.

Sedat
05-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Paul Johnson surely goes into eker hall of fame territory after somehow getting a game for his 3rd AFL club, Hawthorn, on the weekend. I had no idea he was still on an AFL list, and in true eker fashion he wore a ridiculously high jumper number.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
No one has mentioned Leigh Brown's upcoming retirement!!

The Underdog
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Paul Johnson surely goes into eker hall of fame territory after somehow getting a game for his 3rd AFL club, Hawthorn, on the weekend. I had no idea he was still on an AFL list, and in true eker fashion he wore a ridiculously high jumper number.

And he needed a wierd ruling just to get onto a list..and played in a team captained by Thomas Murphy...that won!!!

Throughandthrough
06-09-2011, 02:48 PM

A few years ago James Sheery was working the crowd at a Cricket Game in Adelaide.

We were sitting in the front row, and was going to interview a mate of mine on the big screen.

Just before he started, Sherry asked my mate "what are you listening to?"

"pardon?"

"What are you listening to?"

"Pardon? Oh these! These are hearing aids"

Much embarrassment for Sherry, we were wetting ourselves.

My mates only regret in life, was wnen a few seconds later he was interviewed live on the Big screen by Sherry, his first answer wasn't a bunch of moans, grunts and wierd noises.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
No one has mentioned Leigh Brown's upcoming retirement!!

A sad day for all ekerhood when that happens. Eker Hall of Famer.

Desipura
06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
fingers crossed Cal Ward becomes one.

Pembleton
07-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Dean Wallis. He eeked out a career for so long that towards the end, and because of the Bombers success around that time, he almost had a reputation for being something more.

Mark Athorn is another good eeker story. 4 clubs, close to 10 years, and he played in a grand final right at the end.

I have only just got to this thread so apologies if they've already been mentioned.

westdog54
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Dean Wallis. He eeked out a career for so long that towards the end, and because of the Bombers success around that time, he almost had a reputation for being something more.

Mark Athorn is another good eeker story. 4 clubs, close to 10 years, and he played in a grand final right at the end.

I have only just got to this thread so apologies if they've already been mentioned.

Long time no see Pembles!!

PaddyWhack
07-09-2011, 02:12 PM
If you are looking at media types, what about the one and only Male Model from Mudgee, Kenny Sutcliffe?
Olympics (summer and winter), Wimbledons, US Opens, US Masters, World Champs, America's Cup - you name it, he's hosted it and still manages to talk non-stop during the telecast without saying anything remotely original or insightful. Respect!

Maddog37
07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
If you are looking at media types, what about the one and only Male Model from Mudgee, Kenny Sutcliffe?
Olympics (summer and winter), Wimbledons, US Opens, US Masters, World Champs, America's Cup - you name it, he's hosted it and still manages to talk non-stop during the telecast without saying anything remotely original or insightful. Respect!

But he does have nice sparkly eyes.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I have been very lazy with the lack of eker news during this big week.

Leigh Brown is an enormous loss to the cause. I am very excited with his interest in coaching, I am sure he is going to make a wonderful career assistant coach.

Awesome news with Paul Johnson getting a senior game. Three teams and getting onto the rookie list via the special training squad. Hopefully he can stay on and carry over from the Anvil as King Eker.

GC has delisted Nathan Ablett and Daniel Harris has retired, that's left a massive eker hole in such a young list. Danny Stanley, it's time for you to step up and lead the way for eker greats of the future.

1eyedog
07-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I have been very lazy with the lack of eker news during this big week.

Leigh Brown is an enormous loss to the cause. I am very excited with his interest in coaching, I am sure he is going to make a wonderful career assistant coach.

Awesome news with Paul Johnson getting a senior game. Three teams and getting onto the rookie list via the special training squad. Hopefully he can stay on and carry over from the Anvil as King Eker.

GC has delisted Nathan Ablett and Daniel Harris has retired, that's left a massive eker hole in such a young list. Danny Stanley, it's time for you to step up and lead the way for eker greats of the future.

Who have you got lined up to take over at the Pies Rocco?