PDA

View Full Version : Sheedy to coach Western Sydney

The Coon Dog
09-11-2009, 08:21 AM
* Mark Robinson * From: Herald Sun * November 09, 2009 12:00AM

SYDNEY get ready - Kevin Sheedy is on his way.

The legendary, and eccentric, former Essendon coach will fly to Blacktown today to be formally presented as the AFL's general in the battle for the hearts and minds of western Sydney.

The three-year coaching appointment, which begins immediately, will mean Sheedy, 61, will coach the Greater Western Sydney team in its first season, 2012.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-swoops-on-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1225795572148)

The Underdog
09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought they wanted them to be competetive, or did they mean just in the marketplace and not on the field?
Is this the first 100% marketing driven coaching appointment in the AFL?

Go_Dogs
09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't think it's a bad move at all, and one that makes quite a lot of sense. Sheedy could have a successor in waiting, oversee the first few years and then hand the reigns over. He's certainly a good marketing tool, but he's also a very knowledgeable coach and very well respected.

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think it's a bad move at all, and one that makes quite a lot of sense. Sheedy could have a successor in waiting, oversee the first few years and then hand the reigns over. He's certainly a good marketing tool, but he's also a very knowledgeable coach and very well respected.

...and been past it for years.

OLD SCRAGGer
09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
* Mark Robinson * From: Herald Sun * November 09, 2009 12:00AM

SYDNEY get ready - Kevin Sheedy is on his way.

The legendary, and eccentric, former Essendon coach will fly to Blacktown today to be formally presented as the AFL's general in the battle for the hearts and minds of western Sydney.

The three-year coaching appointment, which begins immediately, will mean Sheedy, 61, will coach the Greater Western Sydney team in its first season, 2012.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-swoops-on-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1225795572148)

Who bloody well cares...I thought this was a forum to post about WESTERN BULLDOGS:mad::confused:

The Coon Dog
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Who bloody well cares...I thought this was a forum to post about WESTERN BULLDOGS:mad::confused:

If this was so, we wouldn't have articles about:

Brad Scott
Free Agency
Sudanese players
WOOF Melb Cup Draw
The Peanut man
Bradshaw set to dump Lions
Western Sydney Draft Concessions Announced
List Management Voss Style
Fevola (and just about everyone else) to Brisbane

And they're just in the last couple of weeks.

I know its the off season & we're all hanging for any & every bit of Bulldogs news we can find, unfortunately we can't find too much at this time of year, so some other stuff needs to be used to fill in.

Go_Dogs
09-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Perhaps...perhaps not.

What will be interesting is to see how large a role he plays. There will be a lot of good people up there, plenty of $$ and resources etc etc. I could see Sheedy essentially being an overseer, helping out with the appointments, doing the media etc. It's not like he'd be running the whole football department on his own.

The Pie Man
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM

I imagine he'll need a very eager and hands on support team - this makes sense from a generating awareness perspective and that's it....though that's probably the most important thing with a new club initially

OLD SCRAGGer
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
If this was so, we wouldn't have articles about:

Brad Scott
Free Agency
Sudanese players
WOOF Melb Cup Draw
The Peanut man
Bradshaw set to dump Lions
Western Sydney Draft Concessions Announced
List Management Voss Style
Fevola (and just about everyone else) to Brisbane

And they're just in the last couple of weeks.

I know its the off season & we're all hanging for any & every bit of Bulldogs news we can find, unfortunately we can't find too much at this time of year, so some other stuff needs to be used to fill in.

I'm NOT saying we shouldn't talk about these things, what I'm saying is this particular Forum is titled " BULLDOGS UNLEASHED" articles about other clubs should be placed in a different forum that's all I'm saying:D

Throughandthrough
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM

No

See Barrassi.R. (Sydney Swans)

Sedat
09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Some of Rocco's 'ekers' will be licking their chops - they might end up being the first marquee signings for GWS

Mofra
09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I actually think this is a great move by the AFL. Very few AFL greats would be recognisable in Sydney so havign someone there who can break new ground effectively will be important.

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Perhaps...perhaps not.

What will be interesting is to see how large a role he plays. There will be a lot of good people up there, plenty of $$ and resources etc etc. I could see Sheedy essentially being an overseer, helping out with the appointments, doing the media etc. It's not like he'd be running the whole football department on his own.

He will need to embrace that overseeing role a la the Alex Ferguson soccer manager role he talked about many moons a go.

Otherwise as Sockeye has noted, the game had gone past him many years before he finished at Essendon. If he wants to be the hands on coach it has disaster written all over it

I know that if I were a potential draftee I wouldn't be excited about having Sheedy as my actual coach

mighty_west
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I know that if I were a potential draftee I wouldn't be excited about having Sheedy as my actual coach

I would like to hope that any potential draftee's would jump at any chance of being on an AFL list, whether being coached by Sheeds, Malthouse, Eade, Williams...whoever.

It was a move the AFL simply have to make, as a competitive coach, i also believe he is past his use by date, however, W Sydney will need absolutely everything in their powers to make this work, if Sheedy can't succeed, who can, he has promoted the game like no other over the past few decades.

Like GC, i don't believe they will be successful for quite some time, even though they get their grubby hands on the best kids, even gun kids take time to mature, and mature as a team.

I'd be backing a Sheedy type over a young coach in waiting any day of the week to get that club off the ground.

hujsh
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM

I'd say that whoever coaches the opposition means quite a bit to the potential success of the Dogs. If he's crap we get an extra easy win, if he's a genius we have genuine competition for a premiership.

lemmon
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Marketability is probably second to none, but like most I have reservations as to how he will go with running the club on-field.

GVGjr
09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
I thought they wanted them to be competetive, or did they mean just in the marketplace and not on the field?

From a purely coaching perspective I think it's past him but from setting things up right, getting media and corporate attention etc it's a strong move and one that needed to happen.

I wouldn't mind betting that he transitions into a coaching directors role before the club actually plays some games.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2009, 08:57 PM
From a purely coaching perspective I think it's past him but from setting things up right, getting media and corporate attention etc it's a strong move and one that needed to happen.

I wouldn't mind betting that he transitions into a coaching directors role before the club actually plays some games.

Agree with this.

Pretty good move by the AFL. No bigger icon than Kevin Sheedy in the game. He might be past his days of coaching, but he's got plenty to offer in various other fields. Even if he only coached the side for 1-2 years before handing it over to one of his assistants, they'd benefit.

That has to be the next question. Who will be the main assistants? They could find themselves as a senior coach relatively quickly.

AndrewP6
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I can see why they did it, but to me it's not a great move. How long is he gonna be around as coach? If only a year or two, then they should have just got him in a marketing/PR capacity. Doesn't say much for the current crop of would-be head coaches when the old dinosaur gets the nod (to coach in TWO YEARS TIME!) for a new gig.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I can see why they did it, but to me it's not a great move. How long is he gonna be around as coach? If only a year or two, then they should have just got him in a marketing/PR capacity. Doesn't say much for the current crop of would-be head coaches when the old dinosaur gets the nod (to coach in TWO YEARS TIME!) for a new gig.

Having passed his use by date at Essendon and then overlooked by both Melbourne and Richmond for younger coaches, one wonders the wisdom by the AFL in appointing Kevin Sheedy. The appointment of Guy McKenna at the Gold Coast after a successful assistant role under Michael Malthouse at Collingwood seems more logical. The same logic should have occurred in Western Sydney leaving Kevin Sheedy to continue his marketing role with the AFL of both the Gold Coast and Western Sydney clubs.
If the AFL has a spare 200 million dollars to play with then who really cares!

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I would like to hope that any potential draftee's would jump at any chance of being on an AFL list, whether being coached by Sheeds, Malthouse, Eade, Williams...whoever.

It was a move the AFL simply have to make, as a competitive coach, i also believe he is past his use by date, however, W Sydney will need absolutely everything in their powers to make this work, if Sheedy can't succeed, who can, he has promoted the game like no other over the past few decades.

Like GC, i don't believe they will be successful for quite some time, even though they get their grubby hands on the best kids, even gun kids take time to mature, and mature as a team.

I'd be backing a Sheedy type over a young coach in waiting any day of the week to get that club off the ground.

After my initial knee jerk reaction I have almost completely changed my mind

You are right - Most kids would be wrapt to be drafted. Probably most would prefer to go to a club that has some History but being drafted to a weak team only means more opportunities which will often make or break a kid.

I initially underrated Sheedy - and its probably a foolish thing to do given his track record. He should be smart enough to make it work in the coaching box.

chef
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
As long as he surrounds himself with the right people/assistants and is prepared to listen to other peoples ideas, he should be fine.

mighty_west
10-11-2009, 01:19 PM
After my initial knee jerk reaction I have almost completely changed my mind

You are right - Most kids would be wrapt to be drafted. Probably most would prefer to go to a club that has some History but being drafted to a weak team only means more opportunities which will often make or break a kid.

I initially underrated Sheedy - and its probably a foolish thing to do given his track record. He should be smart enough to make it work in the coaching box.

I can understand people being a bit weiry about his appointment, he's not exactly a spring chicken now, but i am pretty sure i heard on SEN that Allan McConnell will be in charge of the team when it enters the VFL comp, like the GC will be doing next season under Bluey McKenna, which tells me, this appointment of Sheedy is more setting up the whole structure of the team and also makes sure it works, many have doubts it will even get off the ground, for all we know, he could very well handball the head coaches role to one of his assistants when they enter the big league, and him being a mentour more than anything.

Topdog
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Agree with the first paragraph.

Kind of hope you are wrong with the 2nd one as I would love to see Sheedy coaching a very young team and finishing in the bottom 3 or 4.

I actually think he is far too arrogant to do a coaching directors role.

GVGjr
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I actually think he is far too arrogant to do a coaching directors role.

You are probably right but I wonder if he handpicks his successor if he wouldn't get some satisfaction in coaching the coach if you know what I mean.

Remi Moses
12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
The first spruiker to be appointed as an AFL coach. Check the use buy date as I think Sheeds expired about 2002.