PDA

View Full Version : Improvement

Twodogs
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
This time last year Jarrod Harbrow was a kid who'd just been promoted from the rookie list after a promising first year and performing well in a final. This time this year and he's had a gun season, a bit flat here and there maybe, but no-one could dispute that he was the most improved player on our list.

So who are the players that can improve enough next season grab a senior berth and play enough good footy to affect the course of games. I reckon we have a number of candidates and I'm going to choose five. If two can become regular players that's a good outcome, if three can then it's outstanding, with four new and fresh faces in the team we can give the flag a real shake.

So;

1/ Jarrad Boumann. Big solid lump of a kid who play in defence and play on the opposition's second best tall forward. We dont need to be so reliant on Tom Williams if Boumann is up and going

2/ Andrejs Everitt. The kid's got a foot rocket and if he can have a good preseason and get into the team then he could be an awesome weapon off the HBF/Wing. A confident Skinny in the team would be a dream for us.

3/ Sam Reid. Gee I like this kid. He's got that thing in him that allows him to pick up all his teammates and safely deposit them on the winning side of the ledger and that's a priceless asset. I really, really want him to improve.

4/ Brennan Stack. The human highlight reel! Another preseason under his belt and he might just be the pick of the 'brothers' draft. A few posters have said we need someone at Barry's feet picking up the crumbs-Stack is the man. Him and Barry could just be perfect for one another.

5/Ayce Cordy. What can you say that hasnt alreay been said? "Hey, you there-would you like a 210 cm kid with unbelievable agility in your team?" YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Who do you guys think can come into the team and do well next year?

Let's confine this thread to the kids on the list who havent played much senior footy and I'll start another about improvement in the guys already playing seniors.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Ayce is at least another year away.

Twodogs
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Ayce is at least another year away.

Is that from personal observation or from what SuperMario has told you?

I havent been to training nearly as much this year because of the building works.

Scorlibo
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm hoping that Jarrad Grant can make some major improvement next year, my five would be:

1 - Andrejs Everitt
2 - Jarrad Grant
3 - Easton Wood
4 - Brennan Stack
5 - Jarrad Boumann

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping that Jarrad Grant can make some major improvement next year, my five would be:

1 - Andrejs Everitt
2 - Jarrad Grant
3 - Easton Wood
4 - Brennan Stack
5 - Jarrad Boumann

Same here. Grant hasn't shown much in his time at the Dogs, but he's a no.5 pick that we've pinned some great white hopes on, and if he even begins to marginally repay that faith, it would have a drastic impact on the Dogs overall improvement.

This pre-season is oh-so-important for Jarrad to get right.

bornadog
12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Easton Wood will take the next step and start to play regular games.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Is that from personal observation or from what SuperMario has told you?

I havent been to training nearly as much this year because of the building works.

The boss said that. and about Grant, you were there. :)

The Underdog
12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I think Reid and Wood are the two who could play in the midfield and the back half who are ready to step up. Unfortunately it's probably going to take some injuries to get them there. Love the way way both go about it although both have queries on their disposal.

Stack is an interesting one. Got a taste this year and was good in one game and poor in two. I'm not totally sold on him to be honest but there is the potential for him to find a spot in the forward line if he can force his way in and grab it with both hands.

Grant needs to step up for his own career as much as anything. It'll be interesting to see if Hall's appearance is a help or a hindrance to him.

As usual it seems as though we have more mid sized players ready to step in and contribute than talls. All of Grant, Boumann, Cordy & Roughhead seem to be at least a year away from being contributors, although Boumann's development may be the most crucial of the 3 if we lose a key back.

I'm not sure Everitt will ever be much more than a flanker/wing but could potentially challenege for Eagletons spot.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Though he is a 3rd year player its Hill for me. Needs consistency. Having Hall there will make him walk taller but needs to work more on field.
Realstically if we get 1 game from Ayce and 5 games from Grants its a bonus. They just don't have the physique for AFL level yet. Grant can at least play HF if he builds his fitness.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Good thread with some great observations. I'd agree with them all.

I'll throw up another name though, that of our forgotten man, Tiller. He was on the very edges of cementing a spot in our side, and hopefully (although he'll be having a slow build up this pre-season) we can see the best of him this year. He could really be our 6"3 Picken. He's tough, his skills and decision making have been good enough in a finals environment, and he can potentially play forward and back. I really hope he has a break out year.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
For me - there are 3 main guys who look the most capable of improving alot in 2010:

1) Easton Wood looks like he will be able to take the next step if the opportunity arises. An injection of pace and a huge leap to our HB line would be great to see!

2) I firmly believe that Andrejs Everitt will have a breakout year next year as a wing / half forward. If he puts in the hard work over the off-season he will be the big improver.

3) Brennan Stack - could he become our Micky O equivalent working with Big Bad Bazza?

Sam Reid is quality now and i think we will see more of the same next year - i dont see huge improvement as such....

Jarrad Grant / Boumann - I live in hope!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
I haven't seen much of Boumann. If he keeps improving but can't quite hold down a KP in the senior side, with his agility could he play off a wing?

1) Everitt - If he doesn't fire now he probably never will. Impressive first season and really poor the next two. He's only young but 2010 is very much a defining year for Andrejs. He doesn't need to be a world beater, but he's got to start putting in performances that warranted his draft selection. His game v Collingwood was very good - that needs to be his bar. Needs to lift his intensity and fitness.

2) Reid - It's a shame that he's having invasive surgery because it'll probably set him back a bit. However, I really rate Sam. Played through injury all year, forced his way into the side, and was improving by the week at AFL level. Big, fierce body with great hands in close. If he can have a reasonable pre-season before getting back into action, expect him to be a regular.

3) Wood - Physically ready. He's come a long way in two years as he wasn't expected to play senior footy this early. He was touted as a smokey, but he's improved a lot already. After earning selection for a couple AFL games this year, I have no doubt he'll build on that in 2010. He's a powerful athlete who loves to take them on and can fly for a mark. Played very well in Willy's last final. Again - a shoulder reco isn't ideal, but hopefully he can push for a big second half of the year.

* Stack is an interesting one. I really hope he comes on. He has obvious talent, but not sure he's improved a lot since he first came to the club. Still relies on flashes of magic but undoes some of his good work and needs to work much harder on his intensity for the contest and fitness. I'd love to see him take the next step though because he was rated higher than both Hill and Harbrow.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Good thread with some great observations. I'd agree with them all.

I'll throw up another name though, that of our forgotten man, Tiller. He was on the very edges of cementing a spot in our side, and hopefully (although he'll be having a slow build up this pre-season) we can see the best of him this year. He could really be our 6"3 Picken. He's tough, his skills and decision making have been good enough in a finals environment, and he can potentially play forward and back. I really hope he has a break out year.
I agree with Tiller and abviously the powers to be think the same. I thought he went missing this year, but on learning he has had the major groin surgery postr season that explains why. Hopefully 2010 is his big year, He was one of our best players in the 2008 final series.

Dazza
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Call me crazy but I think Hill could provide real value playing on the wing/half forward line. Having a good contested mark in the middle of the ground can be pretty vital especially with all these zones being implemented. We know he is a good user of the ball going into the f50 so I could see it really work if he was prepared to do the hard running that it would take to work well.
Could just be hopeful thinking as I really rate his talent.

Others that I think could come in and make an impact...

Sam Reid - You can see it in the few games that he has played that he should be able to make it in the higher level. Alot to like about this kid.

Easton? Wood - Has the physical attributes to be something pretty exciting. Just needs to work on disposal and could be a permanent player in the side.

Everitt - Needs to work on his intensity and it should click together. Don't really like him as a backman but I think he could be good on a wing/half forward.

comrade
12-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Call me crazy but I think Hill could provide real value playing on the wing/half forward line.

Why would we call you crazy - plenty of WOOFers have been wanting Hill to play on the wing for some time now.

Hopefully he gets that opportunity in 2010.

Bulldog Revolution
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Fine thread TwoDogs

Reid would seem to be the most likely, but his interrupted preseason is probably going to hold him back a bit

So Wood, he's naturally physical, super courageous, and looks like he might end up a pretty good overhead mark. The question marks are kicking skills and decision making.

I haven't seen enough to know but what I have seen I am very impressed with his attitude.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Liam Picken, Josh Hill and Brennan Stack....

boydogs
12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Not sure if he is being excluded because he is already considered a senior regular but Callan Ward screams improvement for mine. Did not get much of the footy in the first half of the year but showed a lot later on to finish =5th in the Rising Star, which is exactly what I think he is

EasternWest
13-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Let's confine this thread to the kids on the list who havent played much senior footy and I'll start another about improvement in the guys already playing seniors.

When are you going to do this other thread TD? I wanna talk about DFA some more!:D

Cyberdoggie
13-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I think Wood and Reid are the only ones outside the side that will feature much at the Dogs.

I am worried that after this year we will lose Johnson, Aker, Eagle, and Murphy and Hahn i hold grave fears for their longevity due to injuries.

Due to in the most part our success recently we haven't blooded too many young players.
Replacing some of the above players must be on the agenda next year. Whether it be recruiting some players that will fit those roles or promoting others to give them a taste.
I'm not talking anything drastic here as we are going for the premiership, not rebuilding, but to try and minimize a bottoming out it's something we need to look at.

Callan Ward i think will also improve again. We'll see him get 30 possies a game on several occasions next year, and a little bit of extra strength and maturity will also improve is physical game.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Aren't we getting a Willy mature-age rookie (Rose or Little)? If a spot opened up I could see them stepping up the same way Picken has done.

Of the fringe players, Stack and Everitt are the ones who, if they even fulfill a fraction of their potential, would really put us right in the mix and make us even harder to match up on than we already are.

Mofra
13-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Who are the other kids in the team who could take that next step?
If any could, should and will be vital to us it is Josh Hill. The more I think about it, the more I think he could take over the Eagleton link-man role and stop our breakdowns on the HF line whenever an opposition team plays a tight zone:
- He can and should become a gut-runner judging by his VO2 max scores
- He is far better overhead than any wingman he've had for some time, gives us a get-out without relying on a forward leaving the F50 set-up
- His passing is better than average so if he & Gia are leading our F50 entries for the year, I dare say we will be in the top 3 teams for "scores for" again

The other I'd like really like to see is Tiller. He brings a real hardness to the defensive unit, can play mid or tall and could even be used as a defensive forward. I think he is an odd footballer though - his long kicking is more accurate than his short kicking.

Wood & Reid should get more gametime this year, and Everitt is at a crucial stage of his development so needs to find a role in the side.

Mofra
13-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I know a few have mentioned Stack, but I am not sold yet. I would think that once (if) he gets to the 20 games mark, he'd unfortunately be scapegoat no 1 to Bulldog fans as he seems to go missing for long periods during a game. A big pre-season would help.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I would say we have a lot of improvement over last years effort by having a fit and firing Cooney, Gia and Murphy. All 3 played under their capacity last season due to injuries.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I know a few have mentioned Stack, but I am not sold yet. I would think that once (if) he gets to the 20 games mark, he'd unfortunately be scapegoat no 1 to Bulldog fans as he seems to go missing for long periods during a game. A big pre-season would help.

And I am a long way from being sold because of his lack of hardness at the contest and defensive efforts

Hope to be proved wrong

azabob
14-11-2009, 03:47 PM
If any could, should and will be vital to us it is Josh Hill. The more I think about it, the more I think he could take over the Eagleton link-man role and stop our breakdowns on the HF line whenever an opposition team plays a tight zone:
- He can and should become a gut-runner judging by his VO2 max scores

I agree about Hill. The only quesiton is he may have the physical ability to "gut run" but does he have the mental strength to do it like Eagleton or Cousins?

I guess only Hill can answer that question, perhaps with Eagleton signing on again maybe the coaching staff think he cannot play this role.

OLD SCRAGGer
14-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree about Hill. The only quesiton is he may have the physical ability to "gut run" but does he have the mental strength to do it like Eagleton or Cousins?

I guess only Hill can answer that question, perhaps with Eagleton signing on again maybe the coaching staff think he cannot play this role.

NONE of us know what the coaching staff think. I'll put my faith in ROCKET all the time:)

anfo27
14-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Alot of people are naming players who haven't even played 10 games, these types of players need games to find their feet and won't have significant impact on games.

For this reason i would pick Callum Ward & Josh Hill. Ward has improved so much in a short space of time i can see him taking a few more steps next season and finishing in the top 10 of the B&F.
Thankyou again Richmond.

lemmon
14-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Im not sure he will play at the top level next year but if Liam Jones can get a big pre-season under his belt hopefully he will become a regular in the Willi firsts and put even more pressure on Grant.

Mantis
15-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Im not sure he will play at the top level next year but if Liam Jones can get a big pre-season under his belt hopefully he will become a regular in the Willi firsts and put even more pressure on Grant.

If they both develop the way it's hoped Grant and Jones will be completely different players.

lemmon
15-11-2009, 12:32 AM
If they both develop the way it's hoped Grant and Jones will be completely different players.

Grant the hard, fast leading full forward and Jones the pack crunching, contested marking, gorrilla?

And by pressure I was more reffering to spots in the Willi forward line along with guys like Little, Rose, Ayce etc. By the end of last year Grant was back playing two's and progression from a guy like Jones will just take up another spot.

Twodogs
15-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Thankyou again Richmond.

I just want to highlight that. Thank you so much Tiges.

Mantis
15-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Grant the hard, fast leading full forward and Jones the pack crunching, contested marking, gorrilla?

Yeah pretty much.

And by pressure I was more reffering to spots in the Willi forward line along with guys like Little, Rose, Ayce etc. By the end of last year Grant was back playing two's and progression from a guy like Jones will just take up another spot.

Peter German has already stated that Williamstown's forwardline was a little one dimensional last season with too much focus on Little and Rose. He would be hoping that the likes of Grant, Cordy & Jones would add a few different options next season.

EasternWest
15-11-2009, 07:09 PM
For this reason i would pick Callum Ward & Josh Hill. Ward has improved so much in a short space of time i can see him taking a few more steps next season and finishing in the top 10 of the B&F.
Thankyou again Richmond.

I wonder if Callum Ward is as good as Callan Ward? Imagine if we had two of Cal?:D

Sorry, that's being facetious, but your point is a fair one.

Amen on Richmond.

Bulldog Joe
15-11-2009, 08:16 PM

I see the Easton Wood as a great prospect to improve the side.
Sam Reid is also on my list. Hopefully the operation for his groin will allow him to develop the fitness to really take that next step. I also see Dylan Addison as another potential big improver.

The real battle will be getting into a full strength side.

LostDoggy
16-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Josh Hill - for sure. He is capable of being the X factor in our team, he needs to put in a 100% effort, and lift his consistency rate. The talent is there and the footy smarts.

No one has mentioned young Roughy, he has been named as getting some game time, and he is one kid I am seriously excited about (more than Ace).

Agree with comments on Everitt.

Twodogs
16-11-2009, 11:26 AM
No one has mentioned young Roughy, he has been named as getting some game time, and he is one kid I am seriously excited about (more than Ace).

Roughhead has the ability to be the best palmer of the ball of all the ruckmen drafted in the last three or four years I reckon.