PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Moments of Season 2009

LostDoggy
17-11-2009, 08:08 PM
What are your top 5 Western Bulldogs moments of the 2009 season?
Which ones moulded our september campain?
My top 5 are..
5) Aker's sealing goal against the Lions in Round 20
4) Amazing first half effort against the Hawks in round 14
3) 4th Quarter comeback against the pies in round 15
2) Missed shot after the siren by Johnno against the Cats in round 9
1) Brad Johnson's goal with seconds left in Round 22 to snag 3rd spot off the pies.
So, now it's your turn to select your own top 5 moments of the year..What are they?!

The Coon Dog
17-11-2009, 08:20 PM
1. The first half against Hawthorn.

2. The way we went out & took it up to St.Kilda in the Prelim. I really felt we were going to win.

3. Beating Geelong late in the season.

4. All those unanswered goals in Canberra against Sydney.

5. Might seem silly, but the re-signing of Brian Lake. It was huge!

comrade
17-11-2009, 08:58 PM
3. Beating Geelong late in the season.

I remember getting told off by a couple of nice old girls for getting a bit rowdy that night - apologies TCD :D

ledge
17-11-2009, 09:09 PM
One little Aker highlight, the changed kick to hit Gia, amazing.

comrade
17-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Josh Hill's one touch pick up at full flight for a goal against Richmond was all class.

The Coon Dog
17-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I remember getting told off by a couple of nice old girls for getting a bit rowdy that night - apologies TCD :D

Was that when you dropped the 'F Bomb'?

comrade
17-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Was that when you dropped the 'F Bomb'?

Yeah, that was it :o

boydogs
17-11-2009, 10:31 PM
1. First Half v Hawthorn
2. Beating Geelong Rd 21
3. Beating Brisbane away Rd 20
4. Aker's left foot goal
5. Beating Collingwood to take 3rd

brilliantgriffen
17-11-2009, 10:38 PM
My top five in no particular order are:

*First half against the Hawks
*Third Quarter against Adelaide at AAMI.
*Beating Brisbane in Brisbane with a top four spot on the line and what felt like half of the team missing (and of course Akers goal)
*Beating Geelong in Lings 200th and feeling like we should have won by a lot more. (Led to my expectation that something special was going to happen in the finals)
*Jonno's goal to take third from Collingwood. I felt redemption for the way we where umpired out of the game in round 15. I also strongly dislike Collingwood.

brilliantgriffen
17-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Also Griffens' (first?) quarter in round one against Freemantle

Sedat
17-11-2009, 11:41 PM
1. 1st half v Hawthorn at Etihad - as good as I've seen a Bulldogs outfit play in 30 years
2. Total midfield domination in the final against Brisbane (winning a final has to be right up there as a season highlight in any given year)
3. Round 21 victoty against Geelong at Etihad
4. 1st half v Sydney in Canberra - not all that far short of the Hawthorn effort in terms of clinical football
5. 3rd qtr v Adelaide at AAMI - season turning point

Had we been able to secure victory over Geelong in Round 9 and St Kilda in the PF, they would have comfortably sat in the top 2 positions but I just can't fit them in when we lost both matches. The combined effort of the team against the Saints was outstanding but the final outcome was anything but.

Happy Days
17-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Concur with all those points, but two of mune are Hill's match-saving hag against Norf, and Muprh's daisy-cutting fifty metre laser to Josh against the Cats.

Sedat
17-11-2009, 11:50 PM
5. Might seem silly, but the re-signing of Brian Lake. It was huge!
Nothing silly about that at all. Lose the best full back in the competition (on 2009 form) and we cannot win a premiership - you could plonk Hall, Fevola, Brown and Tippet up forward and it wouldn't matter.

The fact that it was definitely touch and go for a period makes it all the more rewarding that we have been able to keep him for life at the club, and it means our perimership window is very much open for the next 4 years while he is there marshalling our defensive unit.

LostDoggy
18-11-2009, 10:36 AM
1. Smashing Hawthorn - great night all round.

2. Johnno's 342nd - not the game itself, but him breaking the record.

3. Beating Collingwood in round 22 to finish 3rd - the added excitement of having to win by 23(?) points made it even better. It was like winning the game twice!! ;)

4. 13(?) goals in a row against Sydney in Canberra.

5. Round 21 win against Geelong.

Ozza
18-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm going to have a crack at narrowing it right down to actual 'moments' - although hard;

5) When Josh Hill ran down Sam Mitchell on the wing in front of the Bulldogs members...we were flogging Hawthorn and on such a roll - then when they looked like going foward it was stopped in such an emphatic fashion (and I can't stand Mitchell!!).

4) When Johnson kicked the second of his two last quarters goals vs Geelong the second time around...and it became fairly clear we would win the game.

3) Johno's goal vs Collingwood to put us into 3rd spot was so satisfying.

2) Again v Hawthorn, when Buddy was about to kick Hawthorn and his first goal of the first half - from out of nowhere - one of our players smothered the kick and we took off with the footy, it was so deflated for the Hawks - and was an exclaimation point on our brilliant half of footy.

1) The moment when Aker gathered the ball, swung onto his left and sunk the Lions - I was out of my seat at home before he'd kicked it - I think everyone watching new what was about to happen when he got the footy....just brilliant.

Scraggers
18-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree with most of the others that have been mentioned already ... the only one I would add would be the discovery of Picken as a 'hard nut' tagger

LostDoggy
18-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree with most of the others that have been mentioned already ... the only one I would add would be the discovery of Picken as a 'hard nut' tagger

Deffinatly, his goal earlier this year V Collingwood in the last quarter was crutial and a ripper!

westdog54
18-11-2009, 04:38 PM
5. I'm with TCD on Lake re-signing, given how long we all dwelled on it.
4. Getting into 3rd spot in Round 22.
3. Jarrod Harbrow's run down the wing in the Semi against Brisbane to set up Higgins' goal. My dad and I were out of our seats applauding.
2. Speaking of Higgins, his mark with 20 seconds to go against Geelong. Capped of a wonderful night.
1. The Hawthorn game. Never have I seen a more faultless half of football.

Go_Dogs
18-11-2009, 04:58 PM
1. Beating Geelong. Probably the best standard game that I've been to, just the excitement when we got in front. I'm usually pretty reserved, and was there by myself, but I was up and about punching the air that night.

2. Beating Adelaide at AAMI. Another great win, always good to beat them over here - plus I won the Crows Club Chairman's raffle in the superbox, and collected my prize from McKernan wearing my Dogs cap. Lovely.

3. The game against Collingwood - watched with a Collingwood supporting mate, and after they just pipped us last time, it was a great win.

4. Griff dancing through about 10 St Kilda players in the final - beautiful.

5. The Sydney game. Had a Saturday session for a course that I undertook this year, and left early to get to a mates house and watch the game on Fox. Great choice.

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought about it, and came up with 6 + 1 special mention. In reverse order, then:

6. Brennan Stack running down a Freo defender in Johnno's record breaking game. Then Josh Hill doing exactly the same thing 5 minutes later.

5. Cooney on our defensive wing dancing backwards with the ball out of a gaggle of Magpies in Round 22.

4. Gary Ablett Jr. getting tackled (can't remember by whom -- I think it was Hahn?) and called for holding the ball (finally!) in his defensive 50.

3. Murph's laser-guided pass to Hill in the goalsquare. Unbelievable.

2. Dale Morris falling backwards and using his foot to spoil a certain chest mark to Riewoldt in the final quarter of the Prelim. That passage of play exemplified everything about the man in a nutshell. Legend.

1. Callan Ward's coming of age in the 4th quarter vs. Geelong, completely outplaying Joel Selwood and sparking a memorable comeback, and confirming his potential as a Dogs superstar in the making. Spine-tingling stuff.

Of course, special mention goes to Aker vs. Brisbane. 'Nuff said!

---

ps. I generally went for moments, not performances -- but Johnno in the Prelim was awesome.

Ozza
19-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I thought about it, and came up with 6 + 1 special mention. In reverse order, then:

6. Brennan Stack running down a Freo defender in Johnno's record breaking game. Then Josh Hill doing exactly the same thing 5 minutes later.

5. Cooney on our defensive wing dancing backwards with the ball out of a gaggle of Magpies in Round 22.

4. Gary Ablett Jr. getting tackled (can't remember by whom -- I think it was Hahn?) and called for holding the ball (finally!) in his defensive 50.

3. Murph's laser-guided pass to Hill in the goalsquare. Unbelievable.

2. Dale Morris falling backwards and using his foot to spoil a certain chest mark to Riewoldt in the final quarter of the Prelim. That passage of play exemplified everything about the man in a nutshell. Legend.

1. Callan Ward's coming of age in the 4th quarter vs. Geelong, completely outplaying Joel Selwood and sparking a memorable comeback, and confirming his potential as a Dogs superstar in the making. Spine-tingling stuff.

Of course, special mention goes to Aker vs. Brisbane. 'Nuff said!

Haha I loved that - it was like the commercial where he baulks the bull! Except it was a fleet of Collingwood players, loved the way he sprawled back through them duscking a weaving.

w3design
19-11-2009, 09:55 PM
1. Jarrad Harbrow's run and goal v Brisbane.
2. The way the dogs supporters yelled, cheered and BELIEVED in the PF vs St Kilda. For 15 minutes of that last quarter, you could just taste a premiership, and we really lifted the players when they needed it.
3. Ward and Liam picken brutally sandwiching McGrath in Brisbane final.
4. Ward marking, without any idea of what was coming at him, in the collingwood first match when we were making a comeback (Q4).. He buttered up and did it again at a critical point in our win v Geelong. This kid is fantastic.
5. Jarrad Harbrow not flinching when Jonathan Brown bore down on him.

Honourable mentions:

Matt Boyd's fantastic year.
Jono;s lion hearted display in St K final. Did that guy want to win, or what.
Learning Dale played his heart out against Riewoldt with a broken bone in his leg.

Thanks Dogs for a great year.

ReLoad
20-11-2009, 09:06 AM
You know, each year, after some inevitable form of disappointment, i ask myself quietly, why do i fork out a couple of grand for the family to see the footy each year, only to have our hearts ripped out (which i inevitably ignore as i always hand over my hard earned dosh)

BUT, i have to say thinking of all these moments, the sheer elation for those few moments, the little things like turning around to watch The brisbane lions coaching staff's face when aker kicked that goal, the moment at half time against hawthorn, when i realised exactly how far in front we were against the reigning premiers. etc etc

Thats why i love it, thats why i pay god knows how much money each year, and although i've never been to paradise, these moments are pretty bloody close, even if only for a fleeting period of time.

One day its going to happen, i know it, and when it does, my god.

LostDoggy
20-11-2009, 05:33 PM
You know, each year, after some inevitable form of disappointment, i ask myself quietly, why do i fork out a couple of grand for the family to see the footy each year, only to have our hearts ripped out (which i inevitably ignore as i always hand over my hard earned dosh)

BUT, i have to say thinking of all these moments, the sheer elation for those few moments, the little things like turning around to watch The brisbane lions coaching staff's face when aker kicked that goal, the moment at half time against hawthorn, when i realised exactly how far in front we were against the reigning premiers. etc etc

Thats why i love it, thats why i pay god knows how much money each year, and although i've never been to paradise, these moments are pretty bloody close, even if only for a fleeting period of time.

Well said ReLoad. I'm starting to tear up a bit here. :o

1eyedog
23-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Aker's left foot goal from the boundary (was it in Brisbane or Darwin) can't remember.

Smashing the Hawks

The emergence of J. Harbrow

The emergence of Callan Ward

The Preliminary Final (the game itself not the result obviously)

comrade
29-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm re-watching the Dogs vs Hawks demolition and one of my favourite moments (in what was one of my favourite games ever) was when Higgins owned Campbell Brown, out muscling him deep in the forward line and taking a one handed grab with just a hint of arrogance.

Made even better by Brown cracking the ***** afterward.

LostDoggy
29-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Here are my favourite parts of 2009

1. Being in the crowd for the prelim, one of the most exciting and heart wrenching experiences of my life so far
2. Aker's amazing goal against Brisbane, followed by a great win that lead to a great end to the season
3. Watching Callan Ward all year
4. Watching Lake play, outrun and outmark his opponent, especially second half of the season
5. Watching Riewoldt cry

Special mention goes to Fev getting kicked out of Carlton, never thought I'd see the day that happened!

BulldogBelle
30-11-2009, 09:58 AM
* The first match v Geelong - though we lost it showed we could match it with and beat the top team

* Similar for the Saints final plus kudos to the crowd for their noisy enthusiasm

* Winning the final v Brisbane

* Smashing the Hawks - love one sided games in our favour

* Beating Pies to get 3rd spot

MrMahatma
30-11-2009, 11:46 PM
1. Ward
2. Reid (I'm on the man-love wagon here, big time!)
3. Harbrow
4. Lake
5. Higgins

hujsh
01-12-2009, 12:43 AM
1. Ward
2. Reid (I'm on the man-love wagon here, big time!)
3. Harbrow
4. Lake
5. Higgins

Great moments.;)

BRING IT ON
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
1 - The Beard :)
2 - Nup , still The Beard :)
3 - Yes , its still The Beard :)
4 - Of course , The Beard :)
5 - Josh " Sticky " Hill ( seriously just how " Sticky " are his hands, pure class )

EasternWest
02-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Yeah I agree ReLoad.

Since I signed up, I've never once thought about going back.

The only consolation about having our hearts ripped out is that these days it's pain caused by coming so close and not by being smashed and embarrassed as we dwell in the cellars once more. I'm a pretty level headed supporter, but being laughed at by other supporters made my blood boil.

My top 5 (could have been a bunch of others, but here goes):
5. Liam Picken smashing Deledio in the head going for a spoil. Not because he hit him, I don't mind Deledio, but it was a statement of intent from Liam. If you are going to beat me, you'll have to be harder and tougher than me. It was a credo he employed all year.
4. Dylan Addison (well I couldn't not mention him) in the same game sprinting flat out for 30 metres to make a spoil, recover the ball himself before hitting Aker up 30 out directly in front. Gutsy footy, and why I love this kid. Really enjoyed the leadership shown by the older guys to get around DFA afterwards. Particularly Aker, who ran about 50 metres just to pat him on the back.
3. Hawthorn first half. I don't know that I've ever seen a better, more clinical display of football slaughter. Our players were so hard and still so desperate.
2. Callan Ward. What an incredible kid who continues to develop. He's just fearless.
1. PF. The loss that shouldn't have been! It was heartbreaking, no doubt, but I defy anyone to question the commitment, effort or desire of any of our players in that game. I had that nagging feeling in my head before the game that said we couldn't win, we wouldn't win. But from the first bounce our guys were so focussed that I almost immediately felt like we would win. I became so convinced that it almost did not compute when we didn't. No footy game has ever made me feel so excited and so desolate (including 97 PF) as this one. But what a game.

MrMahatma
03-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Great moments.;)
Sure are!

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Clearly the Sydney and Hawthorn domination games. The Pies game (getting the margin), but i think main the highlights were:

Jarrod Harbrow - a season that could have seen him fall by the wayside like Faulkner and Lynch, but he found a new position and bloomed.

Liam Picken - Liam Who? @ the start of the year. Up there with the best come from nowhere seasons by a player in recents times. How long was his list of heads taken?

Easton Wood - Showed promise in his limited gametime. Will become a force off HB in season to become

chef
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
1. Cooking breakfast for Ben Hudson in January. His girlfriend has family up here and he comes in for eggs Florentine(with an extra egg) whenever he is in town.

2. Jarrad Grants NAB debut. This got me excited, as i have been waiting a while for a young key forward to show something. To bad that was all he showed all year, but i have faith that he will turn out alright.

3. The two H&A games against Geelong. We showed we compete and defeat the best in the league.

4. The first half against Hawthorn. Poetry in motion.

5. Trade week. Signed up Lake for life and added Hall to our list. the best trade week ever.

craigsahibee
05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
5. The emergence of Callan Ward
4. Hawthorn win
3. Canberra Weekend
2. Wins over Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne and Richmond. I hate all with a passion so I really can't split them.
1. The arrival of the BHBAS T-Shirt

LostDoggy
13-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I must agree with that highlight. So glad someone other than me posted it. I have been accused of being a little too much of a Callanophile. (I call him Psycho, coz he's fully sick, mate!!)

And a personal highlight for was to watch our '09 home games from the front row whislt exchanging comments and thoughts in between beers with Ernie Sigley. No, not you ES, I made that mistake once before if I recall. Although I have read somewhere you come up with some great material under scoreboard pressure!

always right
17-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I appreciate the number of times other teams supporters comment on the way we play the game. We really have an exciting team to watch...so much so that there are numerous examples of favourite moments we can throw up. A far cry from the days when we were deemed "blue collar battlers". Is there a more exhiliarating team going round when we are on our game?

My favourite moments nor necessarily in order;

1. The Hawthorn match....perfection during the first half
2. Johnno's goal to seal the game against Geelong
3. The Collingwood game where we pinched third spot.....surreal
4. The prelim final. Devastated but so proud. The match I thought we had really arrived
as a ligitimate premiership contender.
5. The Aker goal against Brisbane. I swear he ran out wider to make it more difficult.

Honourable mentions.....Harbrows bursts out of defence, Lake's humiliation of John Anthony, Callan Ward's numerous acts of courage.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2009, 07:11 PM
5. The Aker goal against Brisbane. I swear he ran out wider to make it more difficult.

Watched this game again the other day and replayed Aker's goal a couple of times. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, despite making it a more acute angle. The goal umpire didn't have to move.

Aker booted a 50-55m goal off one step v North Melbourne in one of the earlier games of the year that I remember too.