PDA

View Full Version : Ando's draft countdown - Western Bulldogs

GVGjr
21-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Ando's draft countdown - Western Bulldogs

IT WAS hard to spot the difference as to who was sadder after the Grand Final.

St Kilda fans who came so close, or Western Bulldogs supporters who knew that nothing that had taken place that day would have meant they couldn't have been premiers?

That's how close they were, and you even wonder if it might have been their best chance.

Brad Johnson, fourth in the best-and-fairest, is rising 34, while 32-year-old Jason Akermanis finished 10th. Nathan Eagleton is 31, Ben Hudson 30 and new recruit Barry Hall 32.

But they do have some kids who can really play in Shaun Higgins, Callan Ward and Jarrod Harbrow, plus others on the way up.

And they need a really good year out of Ryan Griffen. Yes, he can clearly play, but the gap between best and worst is too great and Griffen is a gamebreaker.

The other big plus is getting a pre-season out of Adam Cooney and letting him go into the season fully fit.

Read the rest of the article HERE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/andos-draft-countdown-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225801289556)

The Doctor
21-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Waste of a read if you ask me. Any one of us could write a far better summary of our draft requirements.

GVGjr
21-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Waste of a read if you ask me. Any one of us could write a far better summary of our draft requirements.

He's never been someone that I follow and I agree that it's just a token report. He's been giving me the impression of late that for football he is task driven not quality driven with his articles.

azabob
21-11-2009, 11:31 AM
He's never been someone that I follow and I agree that it's just a token report. He's been giving me the impression of late that for football he is task driven not quality driven with his articles.

It's like he is filling in for someone on annual leave.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Nothing like a cliche - Dogs will look for talls angle

Go_Dogs
21-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Nothing like a cliche - Dogs will look for talls angle

Yep, that and Callan Ward our value pick at #19? What about Gilbee or Hargrave, let alone the fact that has Ward even proved himself to be worth a #19 selection yet? Yes he's had a couple of decent years, and does seem set to be a great value pick up at #19, but it's a bit premature and we probably have a few other better value picks.

Very lazy journalism all round.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Yep. Not much info in that one at all.

All this talk of us drafting a KF almost has me convinced we're going to pick a midfielder/half back.

Mantis
21-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Yep. Not much info in that one at all.

All this talk of us drafting a KF almost has me convinced we're going to pick a midfielder/half back.

We probably need a running midfielder who can play HB/HF more than a KPP (assuming our young KPP's develop the way we hope they will)

chef
21-11-2009, 06:33 PM
We probably need a running midfielder who can play HB/HF more than a KPP (assuming our young KPP's develop the way we hope they will)

Some outside pace is what we need IMO.

Mantis
21-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Is outside pace that important?

Personally I would prefer a player with good foot skills & sound decision making with moderate pace compared to someone who can run fast, but kicks it sideways and anywhere.

alwaysadog
21-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Our strategy at the draft will provide some insight into what we really think about the young talls already on the list, given that we have a couple of father son choices in the next draft..

mighty_west
21-11-2009, 09:09 PM

We do have Jamason Daniels coming through as a rookie, he could fill that need in the future, seems like avery lively type, also Easton Wood as that mid that could play on a half back, use his pace to run & carry, doesn't mind to take players on, Everitt, whilst tall, can also play on a flank.

Harbrow also has good pace, and slotted in nicely in the backline, Coons & Griff also have speed coming out of the mdfield.

mighty_west
21-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Personally I would prefer a player with good foot skills & sound decision making with moderate pace compared to someone who can run fast, but kicks it sideways and anywhere.

Well, if you look at Geelong , you wouldn't have thought so, the only real grass burners they have are Burns & Wojinski, who are really both fringe players at that club, and they have easily been the best team over the past 3 years.

mighty_west
21-11-2009, 10:58 PM
To be fair to Ando, a tall defender wouldn't be a bad option, if he was considered about the best player available with our selection.

Losing a few talls this year, O'Shea, Wight - both defenders, Skipper & Shaw - both rucks, and we grabbed 2 developing ruckmen last year in Ayce & Roughead pretty much cover those 2, and Everitt who was drafted as a tall defender, is really a utility, Tommy Williams has his injury issues.

chef
22-11-2009, 07:29 AM

To be more specific, we will be targeting a player who can run off the HBF/wing IMO. They don't need to be lightning but quality disposal will be very important.

EasternWest
23-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Yep, that and Callan Ward our value pick at #19? What about Gilbee or Hargrave, let alone the fact that has Ward even proved himself to be worth a #19 selection yet? Yes he's had a couple of decent years, and does seem set to be a great value pick up at #19, but it's a bit premature and we probably have a few other better value picks.

Very lazy journalism all round.

I would hope and expect a player picked at 19 to be a very good player so to name Callan as "value" is off the money. I would think any pick in the first two rounds that comes good would be hard pressed to be defined as value, more as successful advanced speculation. I think better value comes when say, pick 105 becomes a superstar and favourite son. *sigh*.

I hope your saying "has Ward even proved himself to be worthy of selection 19?" is something of a joke? A list of selection 19's follows.

Selection 19's:
86 Matthew Mansfield Dogs
87 Jamie Cox Ess
88 Matthew Francis Rich
89 Ashley Green Ess
90 Gary Merritt Mel
91 Phil Gilbert Mel
92 Lee Walker WCE
93 Robert Stevenson Ess
94 Ben Holland Fitz
95 Barry Hall StK
96 Brent Tuckey Coll
97 Chris Obst Haw
98 Nick Davis Coll
99 Glen Bowyer Haw
00 Jason Cloke Coll
01 Jason Gram Bris
02 Troy Selwood Bris
03 David Mundy Fre
04 Ryan Willitts PAP
05 Courtenay Dempsey Ess
06 Shaun Grigg Car
07 Callan Ward Dogs
08 James Strauss Mel

I would already rate Callan higher than most on that list. The obvious exception is Hall, though inclusive of Hall time will tell how his career stacks against the most likely names in that list of Gram, Selwood and perhaps Grigg. I would also mention Davis, but he's such a tosser that his considerable ability must be considered as a wasted talent.

Has Callan proven himself to be worthy of pick 19? Irrefutably yes IMO. With time, further development and injury luck he's more than a good chance to be the best of them.