PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Fearnley's Crawl for Disabled Rights

AndrewP6
25-11-2009, 11:18 PM
What does everyone think about this issue? I assume everyone has read/seen it. For anyone living without electricity, newspapers or human contact, Kurt is a disabled athlete who recently crawled (yes, you read that right!) the Kokoda Track. On his return, flying with Jetstar, he was told he needed to transfer onto an aisle chair to board the plane (generally "standard" airline procedure). Upon being told this, he threw a wobbly, and then chose to crawl (again) through the terminal to board the plane. He then let cried foul to anyone and everyone.

That's a brief rundown. What are your thoughts. FWIW, I think he has overreacted massively to this, and actually caused more embarrassment for disabled people than Jetstar did by their insistence of him needing to leave his chair to be loaded (which has to happen sooner or later!). The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. As someone who has travelled extensively, and has been disabled since birth, like Kurt, I cringed when I read and heard his version of events. I've also had heaps of work colleagues ask me about it, and many of them speaking in his defence.

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Andrew, I've only read what was in the Herald Sun and I've learnt not to believe too much of what they report. They seem to be getting more & more sensationalistic (is that a word?!) and sometimes just make stuff up.

Anyway, it was good to read your perspective on the issue. At first I did think it was unfair, but seeing that it's "standard" airline procedure I think Kurt could've handled it better.

aker39
26-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Andrew, do passengers in wheelchairs always have to check in their chair, or are you sometimes able to take it to the gate and they take it from you then?

Mofra
26-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Andrew, do passengers in wheelchairs always have to check in their chair, or are you sometimes able to take it to the gate and they take it from you then?
A friend of mine has always been allowed to take it to the gate before changing to a narrow one for the boarding.

I don't know Kurt wasn't allowed to use his own chair to go to the gate.

AndrewP6
26-11-2009, 11:07 PM

In most of my experiences, we've been allowed to at least take it to the gate (or down to the aircraft doors on occasion). So, they most probably erred in asking him to use the aisle chair in the terminal. Although, those cut-price airlines often have fewer staff, so they might need to speed up the loading process.

AndrewP6
26-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Andrew, I've only read what was in the Herald Sun and I've learnt not to believe too much of what they report. They seem to be getting more & more sensationalistic (is that a word?!) and sometimes just make stuff up.

Anyway, it was good to read your perspective on the issue. At first I did think it was unfair, but seeing that it's "standard" airline procedure I think Kurt could've handled it better.

:) Yes, sensationalistic is a word - an adjective. Great job finding a use for it!

I nearly choked on my coffee when I read his claims that they were going to strap him to a trolley, take him across the airport and leave him there for hours, until they had time to attend to him! I really, really hope they made that bit up, and that he didn't actually claim they were going to do that!

It is fairly standard, except that he could've been allowed to the gate in his chair, rather than being asked to transfer in the terminal. But in the end, no one forced him to crawl (and be carried, as he said in the article)

AndrewP6
26-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Just read another article, Jetstar rep said their policy is to have passengers transfer to the aisle chair at or near the boarding gate. Sounds about right to me.

EasternWest
27-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I thought he was hard done by until I read that at one stage he climbed onto his brothers back (which he has been doing his whole life) for a period. So him choosing to crawl when he had that option smacks of forcing the issue to me. Part of the issue he said was that he refused to go in a wheelchair and be pushed, but being carried was ok?
FWIW I really like Kurt. Whenever I have seem him speak, there has been this fire in his eyes that many able bodied people (which is an oxymoronic term, most peoplr with full body use are nowhere near as able as Kurt) never have, but I think he's out of line here.
This issue's a bit of a beat up and has taken the focus away from what should be the talking point here: Kurt's herculean crawl. Inspirational stuff.

AndrewP6
27-11-2009, 06:44 PM
This issue's a bit of a beat up and has taken the focus away from what should be the talking point here: Kurt's herculean crawl. Inspirational stuff.

For mine, the fact that he crawled Kokoda was a bit cringe-worthy - disabled people don't need to crawl (not in 21st century Australia), and there are surely other ways to display his physical prowess.

EasternWest
28-11-2009, 11:27 AM
For mine, the fact that he crawled Kokoda was a bit cringe-worthy - disabled people don't need to crawl (not in 21st century Australia), and there are surely other ways to display his physical prowess.

Really?! Wow, I thought it was amazing. Indomitable.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2009, 12:43 PM

As I read that he had crawled the Kakoda I thought that's a bit much, what does he need to prove to himself or others by doing that? It shows unbelievable physical and mental toughness to achieve it but why attempt it in the first place?
I agree there are other better ways to prove resilience, patriotism, endurance for a person such as him. The images that come to mind are not dignified, not that dignity is everything, but it suggests a person who is a bit overcharged with too much to prove considering he has as an audience the general public.
If he then overeacted at the airport and feigned mistreatment then he is not doing the human race any services in doing that. He seems to be motivated by personal issues and is not representing the disabled.

Twodogs
28-11-2009, 01:06 PM

As I read that he had crawled the Kakoda I thought that's a bit much, what does he need to prove to himself or others by doing that? It shows unbelievable physical and mental toughness to achieve it but why attempt it in the first place?
I agree there are other better ways to prove resilience, patriotism, endurance for a person such as him. The images that come to mind are not dignified, not that dignity is everything, but it suggests a person who is a bit overcharged with too much to prove considering he has as an audience the general public.
If he then overeacted at the airport and feigned mistreatment then he is not doing the human race any services in doing that. He seems to be motivated by personal issues and is not representing the disabled.

Why would anybody walk Kakoda? It's hot, uncomfortable and the jungle is riddled with nasty critters. Most who do it have intensely pesonal reasons and maybe that's why Kurt did it.

Anyway why shouldnt he be able to experience what thousands of other Australians have? Kakoda is central to the Australian psyche and hundreds of Australians go there to honour and experience to a small degree what fathers, grandfathers and uncles went through.

I'm a strong advocate that people with disablities should have exactly the same access to live's experiences-good and bad-that the rest us get/have to put with. I say good on Kurt-he doesnt have to explain himself to anybody. It's just a shame that the incident at the airport has overshadowed an amazing experience.

EasternWest
28-11-2009, 02:03 PM
As I read that he had crawled the Kakoda I thought that's a bit much, what does he need to prove to himself or others by doing that? It shows unbelievable physical and mental toughness to achieve it but why attempt it in the first place? I agree there are other better ways to prove resilience, patriotism, endurance for a person such as him. The images that come to mind are not dignified, not that dignity is everything, but it suggests a person who is a bit overcharged with too much to prove considering he has as an audience the general public.

Ok, it's Kokoda. I don't like to be thatguy but say what you will, Kokoda is a place of national significance and should be accorded respect appropriate to it.

I agree with TD. It's tough and gruelling to walk, let alone crawl. Why attempt it? there are a lot of reasons, many of them personal. But to quote Mallory "because it is there" seems apt enough.

I think Kurt probably did it for himself, and it didn't hurt at all if along the way he showed to others, able bodied and disabled alike, what the human spirit is capable of.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Why would anybody walk Kakoda? It's hot, uncomfortable and the jungle is riddled with nasty critters. Most who do it have intensely pesonal reasons and maybe that's why Kurt did it.

Anyway why shouldnt he be able to experience what thousands of other Australians have? Kakoda is central to the Australian psyche and hundreds of Australians go there to honour and experience to a small degree what fathers, grandfathers and uncles went through.

I'm a strong advocate that people with disablities should have exactly the same access to live's experiences-good and bad-that the rest us get/have to put with. I say good on Kurt-he doesnt have to explain himself to anybody. It's just a shame that the incident at the airport has overshadowed an amazing experience.

It must be a very fortifying experience if you've got the motivation. The closest I've had was Uluru or the summit of Mt Bogong. Of course they don't have the rising above the limits of human endurance factor. Kurt's physical achievement is beyond imagination. Ive often wondered if these larger than life experiences empower us with larger than life energy/spirit or perhaps they kill a demon in us. The public servant who suddenly decided to cross the Simpson desert with a wheel barrow and refused the saving helicopter when he was on deaths doorstep.

Twodogs
29-11-2009, 11:22 AM
It must be a very fortifying experience if you've got the motivation. The closest I've had was Uluru or the summit of Mt Bogong. Of course they don't have the rising above the limits of human endurance factor. Kurt's physical achievement is beyond imagination. Ive often wondered if these larger than life experiences empower us with larger than life energy/spirit or perhaps they kill a demon in us. The public servant who suddenly decided to cross the Simpson desert with a wheel barrow and refused the saving helicopter when he was on deaths doorstep.

My opinion is they kill a demon. Sometime's something comes up and you just have to do it. Slightly off topic but in a similiar vein-I'm not the type to go climbing mounatains or swimming channels or anything-but if I see an injustice I just have to do something about it, I cant walk away.
This constantly gets me into fights and arguments but whenever I've tried walking away and ignoring it eats away at me for days that I did nothing. I'd rather risk a beating than have to put up with that feeling.

mighty_west
29-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Well said, agree 100%.

mighty_west
29-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Isn't that the society we live in though these days? It's one thing to take on a challenge, but it's another to kill yourself over it, the Sally Robbins incident is one example, for all we know, she could have just about been at deaths door, yet, she takes the common sense approach, and is forever seen as soft, yet, most of those critics would probably never even put themselves in a similar situation, alot easier to sit back & critisize others.

We tend to make those one's that go too far into hero's, and the others that perhaps pulled up a bit, villions.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-11-2009, 01:45 PM
My opinion is they kill a demon. Sometime's something comes up and you just have to do it. Slightly off topic but in a similiar vein-I'm not the type to go climbing mounatains or swimming channels or anything-but if I see an injustice I just have to do something about it, I cant walk away.
This constantly gets me into fights and arguments but whenever I've tried walking away and ignoring it eats away at me for days that I did nothing. I'd rather risk a beating than have to put up with that feeling.

Interesting parallel you make- 'compulsion' to act to right a wrong and Kurt's to act to overcome or to achieve (by the bye, he also, at the airport acted like you in righting a wrong).
Have you got into a few dodgy situations at the footy like me when someone says something that simply HAS to be addressed? This year against West Coast when we were losing but I could sense a comeback some 'supporters' starting yelling abuse at Eagleton. I told them to leave the stadium, that they weren't supporters. I was solo and they turned their aggression against me and I continued to tell them what I thought of them because I couldn't allow them to yell at Eagleton who was trying to get the footy, he might hear them
and doesn't deserve their gutless harrassment.
When player TerryWallace was king hit by Rod Grinter breaking his jaw and a bigger than me Melbourne supporter yelled out amongst other things "Beauty a stretcher job" I found my hands twisting his shirt near his throat and telling him he wanted to be taken out. Luckily our friends settled each of us down.

anfo27
29-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I think Kurt's achievement to crawl the Kokoda track was amazing but his reaction to the Jetstar fiasco was way over the top. At the end of the day he was flying with a budget airline.

mighty_west
29-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I think Kurt's achievement to crawl the Kokoda track was amazing but his reaction to the Jetstar fiasco was way over the top. At the end of the day he was flying with a budget airline.

Imagine if he went with Tiger! :eek:

KT31
30-11-2009, 12:17 AM

What and risk being hit by a golf club.:D

Twodogs
30-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Tiger has his own jet. I reckon that Kurt would get all the respect he is due if he was a passenger on Tiger's jet.;)

Twodogs
30-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Interesting parallel you make- 'compulsion' to act to right a wrong and Kurt's to act to overcome or to achieve (by the bye, he also, at the airport acted like you in righting a wrong).
Have you got into a few dodgy situations at the footy like me when someone says something that simply HAS to be addressed? This year against West Coast when we were losing but I could sense a comeback some 'supporters' starting yelling abuse at Eagleton. I told them to leave the stadium, that they weren't supporters. I was solo and they turned their aggression against me and I continued to tell them what I thought of them because I couldn't allow them to yell at Eagleton who was trying to get the footy, he might hear them
and doesn't deserve their gutless harrassment.
When player TerryWallace was king hit by Rod Grinter breaking his jaw and a bigger than me Melbourne supporter yelled out amongst other things "Beauty a stretcher job" I found my hands twisting his shirt near his throat and telling him he wanted to be taken out. Luckily our friends settled each of us down.

Not so much at the footy. Dickheads letting off some steam yelling abuse at someone who cant see/hear them doesnt bother me. It's more men yelling/getting physical at women/kids/elderly/any other soft target, or trampling over someone elses rights are the sort of thing that will get a reaction from me.

I'm kind of like a white knight...:D

mighty_west
30-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Tiger has his own jet. I reckon that Kurt would get all the respect he is due if he was a passenger on Tiger's jet.;)

*cough* Tiger Airways :p

Twodogs
30-11-2009, 12:00 PM
*cough* Tiger Airways :p

Heh! Patrick Smith actually sdaid something that made me laugh the other day. He was on KB's show the day Tiger was due to jet in. KB asked him what time Woods was due to arrive and Smith said "I think his jet is coming over the horizon now Kev-I can see a plane with 'Tiger' written on the sides-would that be it?"

mighty_west
30-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Heh! Patrick Smith actually sdaid something that made me laugh the other day. He was on KB's show the day Tiger was due to jet in. KB asked him what time Woods was due to arrive and Smith said "I think his jet is coming over the horizon now Kev-I can see a plane with 'Tiger' written on the sides-would that be it?"

I don't often laugh with Patrick, but that's a ripper.